OSMO Mobilie 2 or OSMO+
4086 16 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Can anyone give me some advice on which on to pick.  I know they are the same but much different.  The new OM2 has a better battery life and can charge your phone while using the gimbal, but the O+ has 4k.

Who has both, or has experience with either that can shed some light on my decision.  Pros and Cons of each.  Battery life of the O+ is not shared by DGI or I haven't seen it.  What is the battery life in real day to day usage.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts on the subject.
2018-2-7
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

The Osmo+ is WAY better than either version of the Osmo Mobile, I mean it isn’t even close.

All the Osmo Mobiles (either one) are are cell phone stabilizers, that’s it.  They take the shake out of your cell phone videos and can automate the process a bit, but that’s all they do.  They make your footage look much better than it would otherwise, but ultimately you are still filming with your cell phone, and cell phones are very limited as far as cameras go, to say the least.

The Osmo+ is an actual purpose built camera, and it’s a fairly nice one at that, the lense is FAR better than anything in your phone, and it has a much better field of view, and generally more clarity and quality.  It’s an over simplification, but just look at the size of the camera in your cell phone and compare that to the size of the camera in an Osmo+ and consider that the Osmo+ camera is already as small as it can get and ask yourself how much your giving up by having a camera that can fit in a cell phone.

Beyond that, consider that the Osmo+ has a true optical zoom, the Osmo Mobile 2 can only give you a digital zoom which is not really a zoom at all, but rather a crop, so you lose quality every time you zoom, not so with the Osmo+ with it’s optical zoom.  It also has all the same features of both Osmo Mobiles, save for phone charging.

In addition, the camera is detachable, meaning you can use the Z Axis (cancels out the up and down motion from walking to give your footage a gliding look), and extention cables (which are necessary for using a helmet mount, or any other sticky mount, and recommended for the wearable mount).  You can’t do that with the Osmo Mobile 2 (or 1 for that matter).

Now think of the accessories.  The Osmo series has a wide range of accessories that will let you adapt your camera to whatever use you need, and mount whatever you need to it (like external microphones and lights), but the Osmo Mobile 2 can’t use any of it.  You have the base (let’s you set it on a table), the tripod, and the vehicle mount if your brave enough, that’s it.  No bike mount, no body mount, no extention arm (selfie stick/tripod extention), no external microphone, no lights, no articulating arm, no universal mount, no nothing.  Enjoy.  (The Osmo Mobile 1 does not have this problem, only the Osmo Mobile 2).

And the battery?  Yeah, the Osmo Mobile 2 will last for 15 hours (under ideal conditions and NOT charging your phone), which is great, but what happens when you run out of battery?  You can’t use your device until you recharge it and that takes 2 hours, and what if you do not have access to an outlet?  And how many times can you charge that battery before it goes bad, and then what do you do?  With the Osmo+ (and the Osmo Mobile 1), you just change the battery.  Sure they don’t last as long, but you can carry as many as you need.  They also charge faster.  4 Osmo batteries will last longer than the Osmo Mobile 2, and recharge faster if using the quad charger.

You can also use the external power adaptor with the Osmo+ for unlimited wall power (or plug in a drone battery adaptor and use the battery from your drone), the Osmo Mobile 2 can’t do that.

Also, with the Osmo+, your phone is only your control screen, not your camera, so you can access it no matter what position the camera is in, even remotely from another room if you want.

If you REALLY want to use your phone as a camera, you can add an M1 Gimbal to your Osmo+ handle to effectively convert it into an Osmo Mobile 1, with the added benefit of a removeable gimbal.  BUT you will have to do a firmware swap every time you change between the M1 Gimbal and your Osmo+ camera.

Like I said, there really is no comparison.

2018-2-7
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

9245 Posted at 2018-2-7 13:37
The Osmo+ is WAY better than either version of the Osmo Mobile, I mean it isn’t even close.

All the Osmo Mobiles (either one) are are cell phone stabilizers, that’s it.  They take the shake out of your cell phone videos and can automate the process a bit, but that’s all they do.  They make your footage look much better than it would otherwise, but ultimately you are still filming with your cell phone, and cell phones are very limited as far as cameras go, to say the least.

Wow, thanks for your reply.  You have given me more reason to get the OSMO+ and all its benefits.  Many here have had issues with their OSMO/OSMO+ and the DJI Go app, have you?  What are the clear issues and not those unique one off issues?

Thanks again for your detailed response.
2018-2-8
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-8 05:15
Wow, thanks for your reply.  You have given me more reason to get the OSMO+ and all its benefits.  Many here have had issues with their OSMO/OSMO+ and the DJI Go app, have you?  What are the clear issues and not those unique one off issues?

Thanks again for your detailed response.

No problem.

It seems like all the Osmo’s are having some issues after the last firmware update, though one can assume DJI is working on it.  As far as the Osmo+ goes, the problem that seems to be coming up most is problems with infinity focus causing a blurry image.  This mostly seems to have happened since the last firmware update though.  Most people are able to fix it just by recalibrating the lens (there is an option in the Go app to do that), and it only takes a few minutes.  In the cases where it just doesn’t want to work, the issue can generally be solved by either reinstalling the firmware, or downgrading the firmware.  A few people have reported issues with trigger function too, but that seems to be a rare issue.  Most users though, don’t seem to be having any problems at all though.

With either model though (as with anything else), there is always a slim chance you’ll get a lemon and have to send it back.
2018-2-8
Use props
lvl.4
United States

The only real benefits I can think of to the Osmo Mobile 2 over the Osmo+ would be cost and active track.  In all other areas, the Osmo+ either ties or is clearly better, and is normally clearly better.
2018-2-8
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

9245 Posted at 2018-2-8 10:51
The only real benefits I can think of to the Osmo Mobile 2 over the Osmo+ would be cost and active track.  In all other areas, the Osmo+ either ties or is clearly better, and is normally clearly better.

Thanks for all the valuable information.  Can't seem to get a clear answer on battery life.  The current OMO+ ships with a 1225mAh battery and can't find real life battery life anywhere.  DJI says 60min recording time on the 980mAh and 90min on the 1225mAh.

Surprised to see your the one that has responded on this.  Thanks again.
2018-2-8
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:43
Thanks for all the valuable information.  Can't seem to get a clear answer on battery life.  The current OMO+ ships with a 1225mAh battery and can't find real life battery life anywhere.  DJI says 60min recording time on the 980mAh and 90min on the 1225mAh.

Surprised to see your the one that has responded on this.  Thanks again.

No problem, glad to help.

The thing with DJI’s battery numbers you have to consider (and this goes for drones too), is that they are based on “ideal” conditions, which basically means turned on, indoors, at room temperature, and just idling (or hovering in the case of the drones).  Actual numbers in the real world will be a bit less.

I mostly use the “high capacity” battery, I have never actually timed it, but I can tell you that I usually get a bit over an hour, how much over I couldn’t say, but it’s at least an hour.  The “normal” batteries last a bit less.

Which is better depends on your budget and how many batteries that you want to carry around.  I can tell you that I can usually find the normal ones for about half the price of the high capacity, or just under, on Amazon.  Two of those will give you more power than one of the high capacitys, and for the same price, or a bit less, but now you have to carry twice as many batteries.  The high capacity batteries are nicer and they last longer individually, so you don’t need to carry as many, but they cost about twice as much.

I can tell you that in the Osmo Mobile 1, since the phone does most of the work, the batteries last about 3-4 times longer (But your phone will drain very quickly), so 4 batteries will give you the same capacity as an Osmo Mobile 2, or even a bit more, and recharge faster, if you use a quad charger.

Remember what I said about the phone though, it will drain quickly if you are using either Osmo Mobile since it is doing all of the work, so the capacity of the device is irrelevant if your phone runs out.  The Osmo Mobile 2 lets the device recharge the phone, which will make your phone last longer, but now you lose the benefit to battery time that having the phone do all the work gives you as effectively the Osmo Mobile 2 is now powering both, so it’s battery will now drain much faster, so in practicality, that 15 hour battery may only last an hour or two, then you have to recharge it for two hours.

Whereas the Osmo+ does everything itself, the phone is just a view finder and controls (will last all day), and it can even record without the phone, although you will be shooting blind, on whatever your last settings were.  When the battery does drain, you simply swap it out.  And if you’ll be shooting near an outlet you can just use the external power adaptor and have unlimited power.  Or in a pinch even power it with a drone battery (will last many many hours).
2018-2-8
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks again for all this information.  I have decided to go with the OSMO+ with a few extra batteries.  

In June 2017 I splurged and got the DJI Spark Fly more Combo.  This little drone is a pleasure to fly, it's compact and I don't get the attention I'd get from flying a Phantom or other larger drone.  I'll check to see if I can get an adapter where I can use those batteries as external batteries (need to get the adapter).

Now I'm off to order my Osmo+ with all the gadgets i'll need or may need.

Thanks again.
2018-2-9
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-9 05:52
Thanks again for all this information.  I have decided to go with the OSMO+ with a few extra batteries.  

In June 2017 I splurged and got the DJI Spark Fly more Combo.  This little drone is a pleasure to fly, it's compact and I don't get the attention I'd get from flying a Phantom or other larger drone.  I'll check to see if I can get an adapter where I can use those batteries as external batteries (need to get the adapter).

No problem, I’m glad I was able to help.

I just did a quick look for a Spark battery adaptor though and did not see one.  There is, however, an adaptor for the Mavic, Phantom 4 series, Inspire 1, and Phantom 3 series.

DJI might release one in the future, but in the meantime, if your thinking about ever Getting one of those other drones, it might not be a horrible idea to just pick up a battery and charger for it now, that way you’ll have it later, and in the meantime you can use it as a “field” battery bank for your Osmo+.

If not, you can still always use the external power adaptor for the wall.  The power supply you’ll need for that is the same as the quad charger, so it might not be a horrible idea to add one of those on, it really comes in handy being able to charge all your batteries at once.

I think you’ll like it.

Don’t forget some ND and CP filters if you have extra room in your budget, they are not required but they are very nice thing to have, and another thing you can’t do with the Osmo Mobiles.

If you want to add a light, I recommend the Lumecube (with a cold shoe mount) But don’t forget to pick up a universal mount (it should come with a cold shoe)  to hold it, and maybe a straight extension arm so you can still mount your phone holder.  Alternatively, you may be able to thread a cold shoe onto the bottom of the articulating arm, but I have not tried that.

The Rode Video Micro on the DJI Store should handle 90% of your audio needs, but the FM2 that will come with your Osmo+ will do a passable job in the meantime if you want to wait.

If you have the room in your budget, the Z Axis is invaluable, it really smooths up your footage if your walking or running.

If you want to use a tripod, you have 4 options: the DJI tripod and extension rod (kind of wobbly in the breeze, but fine for indoors), a tripod adaptor attached to the universal mount (attach it towed the end of the mount), the articulating arm (the thing that can be bought with the vehicle mount), or the Osmo Base (it has a tripod mounting hole in the bottom, but it is slightly wobbly (but only if you touch it)).

I have an Osmo+ myself, along with most of the accessories (only currently missing the bike mount, extension cable, stick mount, and wearable mount, I have everything else) let me know if you have any questions once you get it.
2018-2-9
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

9245 Posted at 2018-2-9 22:26
No problem, I’m glad I was able to help.

I just did a quick look for a Spark battery adaptor though and did not see one.  There is, however, an adaptor for the Mavic, Phantom 4 series, Inspire 1, and Phantom 3 series.

Thanks again for all of this valuable information.  I decided to order the OSMO+, 1x extra battery and the base.  Should get it later this week.  Heading to Cuba in mid march and this will give me plenty of time to play with it and I'm sure when I get back, i'll be looking at getting a few accessories.

Thanks again
2018-2-12
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-12 05:21
Thanks again for all of this valuable information.  I decided to order the OSMO+, 1x extra battery and the base.  Should get it later this week.  Heading to Cuba in mid march and this will give me plenty of time to play with it and I'm sure when I get back, i'll be looking at getting a few accessories.

Thanks again

No problem.  Enjoy.
2018-2-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

9245 Posted at 2018-2-12 12:57
No problem.  Enjoy.

Hi, got my Osmo+ today.  Just finished the registration and firmware update.  Thanks again for all your help
2018-2-16
Use props
MarcoX5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oddly enough, I just ordered Osmo Mobil 2 to replace my O+ which will be on eBay soon.  I find I don't use the O+ very much.  Hardly at all.
2018-2-17
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

MarcoX5 Posted at 2018-2-17 15:45
Oddly enough, I just ordered Osmo Mobil 2 to replace my O+ which will be on eBay soon.  I find I don't use the O+ very much.  Hardly at all.

any reason you weren't using it and why you'll end up using the mobile 2 more?
2018-2-19
Use props
DHes37
lvl.1

Netherlands

9245 Posted at 2018-2-12 12:57
No problem.  Enjoy.

@Sparky_17 and @9245 Thanks for asking the question and answering. I had the same question. I really like filming, but only as a hobby and helping out on small projects as a volunteer. I don't wanna spends hundreds of dollars on DSLR equipment.

I thought about the Osmo Mobile 2, using a RØDE mic and some Moment lenses. But then I found out that connecting a mic is an issue, which would cost me more money to get it right. So then I looked into the Osmo+.

I'm gonna get me an Osmo+ with some extra batteries and a RØDE shotgun mic.

Just two questions:
Does an iPhone 7 Plus fit in the holder?
Can I use the Osmo+ during snowboarding or is it too fragile to use it for stuff like that (meaning I need to get me a GoPro)?

Thanks guys. This thread was really helpful.
2018-5-7
Use props
Chris introid
New

France

Hi,
do you still recommand today Osmo+ vs Osmo Mobile 2?
Apparently Osmo+ is really bad in low light conditions.
Also apparently it's possible to add some accessories on the OM2.
Many thanks
2018-11-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Chris introid Posted at 11-14 03:57
Hi,
do you still recommand today Osmo+ vs Osmo Mobile 2?
Apparently Osmo+ is really bad in low light conditions.

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would like to inform you that using the accessory on your phone may affect the balance of your device and cause to have a problem with your footage. Thank you for understanding.
2018-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules