Why is the ipad mini 4 still on the list?
5304 29 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dji?

Why is the ipad min 4i still on the devices compatibility list to use for phantom 4 pro.

I reported this before but never action taken regarding the bad videolag when flying.
Once again , i have the latest fw and updates(ios,app,fw etc).

Its really irreponsible to use ipad mini4 with theses current versions and fw, as screen is terrible, with lines green and black ,pink squares ,delays ,uou name it.

Also do everything everybody recommended before, like,airplane mode,turn off video cache,bluetooth etc etc.

It all started with the dji go 4 app update from.4.1.16

With app 4.1.15 and version .602 all was perfect

As from app.16 it all went downhill

So moderators can you please inform engineers again to find out what triggers this of.

I has got to do something within the dji go app

Anybody else has got this experience?

2018-2-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

im phantom 3 SE owner .....today I was about to crash my device thanks to the new version of DJI ..... , my mobile device LG G3 Mini  is not inclued in the compatible devices but i m running ok ....

is not only about FW´s or mobile devices .. there are a bad behavior between Dji go app & FW ... in all DJI models .... long time ago
2018-2-7
Use props
Photo Hunter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31772 ft
United States

The problem is the software, not the hardware.
2018-2-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Photo Hunter Posted at 2018-2-7 10:53

i think similar ... anyway , about the app ,it must be to pilot no to edit videos or join f... social networks ... IMO
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agreed               
2018-2-7
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only use an iPad mini 4 with my p4p.  I’ve never had any issues.
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

method007 Posted at 2018-2-7 13:16
I only use an iPad mini 4 with my p4p.  I’ve never had any issues.

Which version app, ios and fw are you using?
2018-2-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also only use Ipad Mini 4 with P4P.  I have also never had any issues.  Most current version of app, ios and fw are being used.
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I said already from the beginning , its the app causing this bad videofeed. I have slready so many times mentionned it to moderators/dji. Since they updated to .16 app. Everytime they kept asking the same questions , which fw , which ios, etc etc , but after months still no results and solutions. And i am reading that so many people are coping with bad  image transmission.
Dji are you aware this is happening and are engineers busyvwith solving this?
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I just replied your another post(https://forum.dji.com/thread-133824-1-1.html), please keep us posted there, thanks!
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-7 19:54
I just replied your another post(https://forum.dji.com/thread-133824-1-1.html), please keep us posted there, thanks!

Hello susan
Here is an example, but i have posted many times before.
At the moment i cannot give you copy of about page .
I have following
Ios 11.2.5
Dji app 4.2.5
Fw .300
I shoot 2.7 k

In the beginning in flight its fairly stable
Its starts after about 3-5 minutes.

I turn off bluetooth, put in flightmode, switch off video cache, all the things  you ever suggested.

When i had app 4.1.15 and fw .602 , which was around beginning of october , i never had a problem .

Just after dji updated app to .16 , the videolag started.
I have read other posts , and the videolag/ bad image transmission seems to be a problem for some others as well

When i connect iphone x in stead of ipad mini 4 , so far no problems.

Therefore maybe you can ask the engineers , what has changed after the app update from .15 and .16,.18 etc between the app , and ipad mini 4 device ( and maybe other devices too)

Once again the combanation dji app .15 and fw 602 and ipad mini 4 , in september last year was fine . So there must be done something to trigger this off beginning october 2017

one more thing, I also have the mavic pro platinum , I use ipad mini 4 and I have no problems at all regarding videofeed, that all works perfect with the latest updates.
2018-2-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Perhaps, but there is still an impact on CPU performance doing the video decoding which the older iPads can't manage anymore. The reality is that you can update your iPad, but you have a little chance of getting DJI to re-write their GO 4 app.

From the testing I had done previously, you now need a minumum of the A8X CPU for GO 4 to operate without hiccup (based on v4.18)
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ok . But i thought the ipad mini 4 is rather new . So which apple device do you recommend?
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

As in tablet
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-7 20:55
Perhaps, but there is still an impact on CPU performance doing the video decoding which the older iPads can't manage anymore. The reality is that you can update your iPad, but you have a little chance of getting DJI to re-write their GO 4 app.

From the testing I had done previously, you now need a minumum of the A8X CPU for GO 4 to operate without hiccup (based on v4.18)

But then really , they should not include the ipad mini 4 on the list anymore for use with p4p
2018-2-7
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

But i checked the specs of ipad mini 4 and it has a8 chip . Cant see the x? Is the a8 and a8x different then?
2018-2-7
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Ipad Mini 4 that I use with no issues at all!
2018-2-7
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issues as the OP when I first got my mini4. I uninstalled everything then reinstalled everything and never had an issue.
2018-2-8
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

No issues with my mini 4with either the P4P or Inspire 2
2018-2-8
Use props
Photo Hunter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31772 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-7 20:55
Perhaps, but there is still an impact on CPU performance doing the video decoding which the older iPads can't manage anymore. The reality is that you can update your iPad, but you have a little chance of getting DJI to re-write their GO 4 app.

From the testing I had done previously, you now need a minumum of the A8X CPU for GO 4 to operate without hiccup (based on v4.18)

Well, I can only tell you that I had intermittent video lag issues using an old iPad Air.  And by intermittent, I mean an occasional glitch.

I upgraded to an iPad mini 4 and everything was flawless until I upgraded to the latest AC firmware at which point I had HORRIBLE video issues with the AC sitting 2 feet from the RC.  I downgraded AC firmware and the video lag issue vanished.  To me, that indicated a problem with the software which seemed a logical conclusion given the history of new firmware issues.

That said, I do understand your point.  New software has historically necessitated hardware upgrades  No way could I run the current version of PhotoShop on my first laptop computer so a hardware upgrade was necessary.  That phenomenon spanned years however, not weeks or months trying to keep up with the release of new versions of G0 4 or firmware updates.
2018-2-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-2-7 21:11
But then really , they should not include the ipad mini 4 on the list anymore for use with p4p

I agree with you 100%, Drony. I've been saying that to the DJI Admins since ~v4.16 when my Mini 2 was clearly not up to the task. I've now moved it on, and now using either my iPhone 7 or an Air 2. I didn't have issues running Litchi.
2018-2-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-2-7 21:23
But i checked the specs of ipad mini 4 and it has a8 chip . Cant see the x? Is the a8 and a8x different then?

Yes - It's what the Air 2 has.

Apple A8X  vs  A8
Clock speed - 1.5 GHz vs  1.4 GHz  
Cores - Tri core vs  Dual core  
Wiki advises that with the extra 100 MHz and an additional core, the A8X performs around 13% better on single threaded and 55% better on multithreaded operations than the A8 inside the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Mini 4. Also has a more powerful GPU - I suspect that's what makes the real difference.
2018-2-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Photo Hunter Posted at 2018-2-8 04:12
Well, I can only tell you that I had intermittent video lag issues using an old iPad Air.  And by intermittent, I mean an occasional glitch.

I upgraded to an iPad mini 4 and everything was flawless until I upgraded to the latest AC firmware at which point I had HORRIBLE video issues with the AC sitting 2 feet from the RC.  I downgraded AC firmware and the video lag issue vanished.  To me, that indicated a problem with the software which seemed a logical conclusion given the history of new firmware issues.

OK, PH. Interesting that the craft firmware had an impact for you too. I didn't get to see that, because once I realised that my Mini 2 wasn't up to it, it was retired and I bought an  Air 2. I could still run Litchi on the Mini 2 fine, but (believe it or not) I wanted to be able to run the GO 4 editor in the field.
2018-2-8
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-8 13:00
Yes - It's what the Air 2 has.

Apple A8X  vs  A8

Thanks puncbuddy for the explanation. Its really a bummer that a fairly new ipad mini in combination with current fw and dji go app version causes such a problem . Strange that some dont have any issues with ipadmini. Maybe they are on  the edge of this problem. I hope they dont fall to the wrong side of the edge with the next and future fw/ dji go app updates.
Anyway i just went to the apple store and bought ipad pro 10.5 inch.
This has ,i  believe a10x chip. So hope flying will be fun again for me with no videolag.
Btw it fits very nicely in the holder of the rc p4p and in the polar pro holder which i use for the mpp.
But the most important is that image transmission is better
2018-2-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-2-8 13:19
Thanks puncbuddy for the explanation. Its really a bummer that a fairly new ipad mini in combination with current fw and dji go app version causes such a problem . Strange that some dont have any issues with ipadmini. Maybe they are on  the edge of this problem. I hope they dont fall to the wrong side of the edge with the next and future fw/ dji go app updates.
Anyway i just went to the apple store and bought ipad pro 10.5 inch.
This has ,i  believe a10x chip. So hope flying will be fun again for me with no videolag.

A new iPad Pro? Awesome. I'm sure that'll manage the video decoding well. Have fun flying properly again.
2018-2-8
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11551627 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I also was having a lot of trouble with using my iPad mini 4 , I only had the one app installed on it and that being dji go 4 , I was constantly having video lag and even loss of signal warning , but when I went and replayed this occurrence in the flight records no loss of signal warning would appear in the log . I bought an iPad Pro 10.5 and have been on cloud nine with it , simply brilliant and not one abnormal warning of signal or disconnect , or even video lag , the beauty of the iPad Pro is that when I use the lightning to sd card reader I am able to view all video files on the iPad whereas when I would plug it in to the iPad mini r . It would say this video format is not supported .. iPad Pro worth the price and I have been flying brilliantly since .. hope this helps somewhat ??
2018-2-9
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-2-9 02:06
I also was having a lot of trouble with using my iPad mini 4 , I only had the one app installed on it and that being dji go 4 , I was constantly having video lag and even loss of signal warning , but when I went and replayed this occurrence in the flight records no loss of signal warning would appear in the log . I bought an iPad Pro 10.5 and have been on cloud nine with it , simply brilliant and not one abnormal warning of signal or disconnect , or even video lag , the beauty of the iPad Pro is that when I use the lightning to sd card reader I am able to view all video files on the iPad whereas when I would plug it in to the iPad mini r . It would say this video format is not supported .. iPad Pro worth the price and I have been flying brilliantly since .. hope this helps somewhat ??

Yes helps me a lot , i will test fly as soon as pos , i cannot at mom , it will be snowing soon . But cheers anyway
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-2-7 20:46
https://youtu.be/aPB4XHScOgM

Hello susan

Thanks for getting back to us. Could you send us the About Page of your mobile device? You can check it from here: Settings>General>About. I'll forward to the designated for the double check. Thanks!
2018-2-9
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi susan , i am afraid i cant,
I have sent the p4p in for checkup and repair via the authorized dji dealer here in the netherlands , i discovered hairfine stress cracks at 2 airvents in the arms. No crash, no hard landing etc etc , but i also reported in other post ( and seen some other people posts) regarding vibration upon take off and landing when touching the ground , which started shortly after latest fw update. So that could have been the cause of cracks , but the man in the droneshop says it also could been caused by temperature changes cold outside, warm inside, but i wouln’tknow.Anyway hopefully repair centre will repair this under warranty, as drone is only 8 months old and replace the shell and do some check ups whats causing these cracks. Regarding the ipad mini , as mentionned in this post , it has something  to do with that the latest fw and dji update is probably too heavy for the chip(a8) in ipad mini 4. Just before i sent the drone for repair , i purchased the ipad pro 10.5 which has a a10x chip and i had no videolag at all. Maybe you can give this info to engineers. So now hoping on a quick return of my p4p in good order
2018-2-9
Use props
VR6OOM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61148 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPad mini 4 user. One iOS behind. Using the latest Go 4 app. I fly in airplane mode with all apps closed except Go 4. No issues.
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules