Mavic Air - missing adapter of RC charging port
23565 28 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
windgate
lvl.3
United States

I just got my Mavic Air and going through everything carefully. Is anyone else missing the adapter that goes on the opposite end of the USB charging cable that adapts it to the new square type (not sure what that's now called) connector on the side of the remote controller?
20180207_173455.jpg
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425486 ft
Canada

Did you check in the small bag containing the spare sticks? It's supposed to be there.
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Check the little plastic bag with the spare sticks for the remote control. It should be in there. Should it really be missing, you can use any USB to Micro USB cable that you certainly have somewhere in the house to fill the gap until DJI will send you the adapter.
2018-2-7
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

exos Posted at 2018-2-7 14:20
Did you check in the small bag containing the spare sticks? It's supposed to be there.

My small bag has an adapter that is USB Type-C on the end -- instead of the new square type connector used in the side of the remote controller charging port. It's as though they sent the wrong adapter.
2018-2-7
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-7 14:22
Check the little plastic bag with the spare sticks for the remote control. It should be in there. Should it really be missing, you can use any USB to Micro USB cable that you certainly have somewhere in the house to fill the gap until DJI will send you the adapter.

I've now uploaded an image of the connector adapter to my original post. That's what was in the little bag.
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

windgate Posted at 2018-2-7 14:33
My small bag has an adapter that is USB Type-C on the end -- instead of the new square type connector used in the side of the remote controller charging port. It's as though they sent the wrong adapter.

Are you sure? That would be a USB Type-C to USB Type-C adapter then. That would not make any sense. Look again at the adapter end, it should be normal Micro USB but not square as the slot in the RC, it fits however.
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

windgate Posted at 2018-2-7 14:44
I've now uploaded an image of the connector adapter to my original post. That's what was in the little bag.

That is the correct one, it will fit into the RC but the other way round as shown on your picture.
2018-2-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The charging port on the side of the controller takes a normal micro USB. There was not a square sided one in the bag other than the phone leads. For some reason DJI have used or invented a micro USB with square sides. The adapter you show is the correct one and will fit.Just make sure you plug it in the correct way round by looking at the little tongue in the whole.

I started a thread on this but got no responses

https://forum.dji.com/thread-132913-1-1.html

Dennis
2018-2-7
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-7 14:50
The charging port on the side of the controller takes a normal micro USB. There was not a square sided one in the bag other than the phone leads. For some reason DJI have used or invented a micro USB with square sides. The adapter you show is the correct one and will fit.Just make sure you plug it in the correct way round by looking at the little tongue in the whole.

I started a thread on this but got no responses

Okay. I guess what makes it confusing it that the connector they provided to go from the mobile device to the same port looks square (so I thought it was proprietary). So you're saying per my attached photo that I'm fine to use the Type-C adapter and won't damage the RC charging port (as it really is a Type-C connector)? Picture attached.
With that in mind, these two connectors are the same thing -- with just a different shape).
Connector on the left is the adpater they provide that goes on the one end of the USB charging cable.
Connector on the right is the male connector from the cable that goes between the mobile device to the RC port.

20180207_175638.jpg
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

windgate Posted at 2018-2-7 15:02
Okay. I guess what makes it confusing it that the connector they provided to go from the mobile device to the same port looks square (so I thought it was proprietary). So you're saying per my attached photo that I'm fine to use the Type-C adapter and won't damage the RC charging port (as it really is a Type-C connector)? Picture attached.

Just go ahead, it fits and works. But it is not Type C, it is Micro USB in just a weird shape. Same thing on Spark.
2018-2-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will be fine I have charged many times just look where the tongue is and put it the right way round

Dennis
2018-2-7
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-7 15:07
It will be fine I have charged many times just look where the tongue is and put it the right way round

Dennis

Thank you all for the help. I try to be very careful and sure of what I'm doing. : )
2018-2-7
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

"For some reason DJI have used or invented a micro USB with square sides."

they didn't invent it.  this is an original micro usb , i have used them since at least 2009 or 2010.  at my work i needed some 10 foot long micro usb and when i ordered them i got these square ones somehow, the micro-A

"Type A plugs are typically used for connection to “master” devices. Type B plugs are used for connections to “slave” devices. The device itself either features a receptacle that can accept only type B (slave) plugs or both type A and type B plugs (device can function as master or slave). This receptacle is called an "AB" receptacle.

An OTG device can play two different roles and that depends on the plug to which it is connected. If it's inserted by a micro-A plug, then it acts as the host (an A-device). If it's inserted by a micro-B plug, then it acts as the peripheral (a B-device).

The micro-A and micro-B plugs differ in the voltage of the 5th pin (ID pin). A micro-A plug has its ID pin grounded, while a micro-B plug has its ID pin floating. So a device can know which role to play based on the plug inserted.

Since the differerence between micro-A and micro-B plugs is necessary, a device must be able to be inserted by both kinds of plugs. That's why micro-AB receptacles are introduced."
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there.
If you still wonder whether you have missed something in the box, you can check the link below which shows What In The Box. Thank you.
https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air?vid=38961
2018-2-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AIister Posted at 2018-2-7 20:58

they didn't invent it.  this is an original micro usb , i have used them since at least 2009 or 2010.  at my work i needed some 10 foot long micro usb and when i ordered them i got these square ones somehow, the micro-A

Reading your post about the 5th Pin being grounded on the Type A does this have anything to do with trying to stop one device charging the other when plugged in to each other

Dennis UK
2018-2-7
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

have only seen that on usb c or lightning so not 100% sure about 4 or 5 pin setups vs the 10 or more pins that the other cables use
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

they didn't invent it.  this is an original micro usb , i have used them since at least 2009 or 2010.  at my work i needed some 10 foot long micro usb and when i ordered them i got these square ones somehow, the micro-A

Thanks for shedding some light on the port types, it does make a good point as to why DJI opted for the rectangular connection on the Remote.

Still think its a design flaw, it makes for a fiddly and delicate connection which could easily be damaged.
As I recall USB-C could work in both Master as a Slave device. As the Mavic Air itself also has an USB-C connector it would have made perfect sense to also fit that on the remote. It wouldn't have the delicate connection, idiot proof cable insertation of a cable and it wouldn't have to need an adapter which we could easily loose or forget.
2018-2-8
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Thank you for the clarification on this. : )
2018-2-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

windgate Posted at 2018-2-8 18:10
Thank you for the clarification on this. : )

Hi. I just opened the box - it arrived today (yay) - and I have to say that I thought I was missing the adapter too. I'm glad I read this thread, because that little guy is soooo small I completely missed it. I was expecting something bigger. But it's there. Phew!
2018-2-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't forget you also have a USB (Big or normal size) on the bottom of the controller that you can also use your OTG cable in if you buy the right size and length one

Dennis UK
2018-2-8
Use props
djiuser_UBwK99tkCWBU
New

United States

I have the same problem.  
2018-3-6
Use props
fastnboulbous
New

Australia

Same issue here, I got my Mavic Air a week ago and it is missing the adaptor as well. Have laid everything on the table and not there. I am waiting for a response from the supplier but am quite happy to just go and buy one if I could find one. Anyone have link to purchasing one?  Frustrating having the mavic air for a week now and still can't use it because of one little adaptor.
2018-6-14
Use props
HerveH_French
New
Flight distance : 8451 ft
France

Thanks a lot!

Merci beaucoup pour l'information!
Donc pas besoin de l'adaptateur.

Le connecteur micro USB b male dans le connecteur micro femelle rectangulaire de la télécommande en faisant attention au sens (la petite languette).
Pas réussi à trouver l'info sur les forums français.

Hervé
2018-11-8
Use props
djiuser_kZBP8QXRQpO4
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fastnboulbous Posted at 2018-6-14 16:31
Same issue here, I got my Mavic Air a week ago and it is missing the adaptor as well. Have laid everything on the table and not there. I am waiting for a response from the supplier but am quite happy to just go and buy one if I could find one. Anyone have link to purchasing one?  Frustrating having the mavic air for a week now and still can't use it because of one little adaptor.

Same here, missing the little bag containing the adapter and the spare control Sticks.

DJI customer support are just not interested because it was supplied by a third party.

The cost to them must be minimal.
2019-5-14
Use props
HERNANDO M.
New
Colombia

Same problem here, missing the little bag containing the adapter. It is incredible that a company like DJI, which produces high quality devices, makes such elementary mistakes, and the worst thing is that they show no interest in correcting them, because I can see that it is something recurrent.
Please if someone knows the way to obtain the USB adapter, I will be very grateful.
2019-5-24
Use props
djiuser_kZBP8QXRQpO4
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Same problem
2019-6-10
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Whatever unfamiliarities, examine before doing, otherwise you'll set yourself back.

mavic air flyers purchase the usbMicroA cables with legacy pc connector usbA.

it is out there shortest shielded bestest.

since android can be connected direct into rc, i china'd usbMicroA to usbC, as phones samsung are now usbC

Charge from cigarette lighter or utility line i also china'd usbC port outs for the six inch cabling's usbC

You will discover, an even shorter length definitely improves perform.

Removal of mp4 from the soldered in 8gb aircraft storage is mandated by cabled android else pc else chromebook else apple equiv.

here, the three inch cable superior solution, into external reposit via os chosen.   

by using longer cable, it takes quite awhile longer, say clearing out 8gb plus sdcard 128gb of ignored offloading
2019-6-10
Use props
djiuser_Bsj0YmnWKvsM
lvl.1

United States

I just received mavic air 2 fly more combo. but  remote control charging cable missing . What should I do ? I was excited to receive the drone ,now I am lam duck . Could please send me the cable ?
2020-10-7
Use props
djiuser_Bsj0YmnWKvsM
lvl.1

United States

I just received mavic air 2 fly more combo. but  remote control charging cable missing . What should I do ? I was excited to receive the drone ,now I am lam duck . Could please send me the cable ?
2020-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules