Is a repair acceptable or should I insist on a replacement?
625 7 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd4175360
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156811 ft
Australia

Hi All,

I seek an expert opinion on a true first world problem.

While hovering overhead, my Mavic Pro went haywire, and then carwheeled to its death.

I sent it to DJI for repair and there's about $400 worth of damage.
Given the circumstances of the crash, I queried whether there was pilot error, and after analysing the flight record (the key to it appears to be that there was 3.5 seconds of "GPS Position NoMatch") DJI concluded that there was no pilot error and are repairing it free of charge.

Now my question.

I have 2 concerns.

The first is what has actually caused the crash, and if it hasn't been identified and rectified, the risk that it will happen again. And next time that it happens, the aircraft may be over water, or far away so that it can't be recovered.

The second concern is, given the severity of the damage, is it ever going to be as robust as it was as a brand new drone.

For both of the above reasons, I am wondering whether I should insist that DJI replace it with a brand new aircraft.

Peoples opinion would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Greg

2018-2-8
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dji will probably send you a refurbished mavic even though the “say” that they are repairing yours. My suggestion to you is when you get your mavic back,go out and fly as normal. There’s no need to worry about things you can’t control...
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is unlikely that you will experience the same issue as it is not a universal fault with all Mavic’s. As previously stated, you should expect a refurb Mavic - one that is previously owned and returned that DJI have made air worthy again - your old one will probably end up as spare parts.
2018-2-8
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

If it was a brand new Mavic Pro and dji have acknowledged that it was not a pilot error then I would insist on a brand new replacement. If your brand new car was defective would you accept a second hand replacement?

Here in Australia we have pretty decent consumer protection laws (your taxes paid for them) which take precedence over the manufacturer's wishful thinking so use them! https://www.accc.gov.au/consumer ... pair-replace-refund

* hex
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Greg, firstly we are sorry for the crash accident, please note products and components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. These refurbished goods have been tested and are similar to brand new goods in function and appearance.
No matter it is repaired or replaced, flight performance and quality evaluation will be conducted before shipping out, no worries.
2018-2-8
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-2-8 03:23
If it was a brand new Mavic Pro and dji have acknowledged that it was not a pilot error then I would insist on a brand new replacement. If your brand new car was defective would you accept a second hand replacement?

Here in Australia we have pretty decent consumer protection laws (your taxes paid for them) which take precedence over the manufacturer's wishful thinking so use them! https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

Insisting that dji gives you a new drone won’t do any good because the second you activate and fly your mavic it’s no longer considered new, DJI’s policy is to take your broken mavic and send you one that has been refurbished. This is what really sucks because the refurbished unit you receive could have a hundred thousand miles on it.. not really fair but that’s the way it is .......l
2018-2-8
Use props
fansd4175360
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156811 ft
Australia

Many thanks all for your responses.

Should I ask DJI to extend the DJI Care policy for the time that it's been out of the air, given that they've essentially accepted that it's a manufacturing issue?
DJI Mindy, can you please chime in and let me know if DJI can do this?

Many thanks.
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fansd4175360 Posted at 2018-2-9 00:10
Many thanks all for your responses.

Should I ask DJI to extend the DJI Care policy for the time that it's been out of the air, given that they've essentially accepted that it's a manufacturing issue?

Greg, I am terribly sorry to tell that DJI Care Refresh can't be extended. Hope you can receive the drone soon.
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules