Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Park ranger uses stun gun on man operating drone in National Park
1924 8 2015-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Monkeyking
lvl.1

China

Here is case of excessive force while enforcing "drone" policy. Was the guy in the wrong? Yes... But did he deserved to be taser'd

http://news.yahoo.com/ranger-use ... over-215856601.html

Ranger uses stun gun on man operating drone over lava lake

HONOLULU (AP) — A park ranger used a Taser on a man flying a drone over a lake of lava at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, then arrested the man in front of several hundred people after telling him that flying an unmanned aircraft at a national park is prohibited.

Crowds have been flocking to an overlook area at the park to watch a steadily rising lava lake at the summit of Kilauea volcano.

Travis Ray Sanders brought his family to the park on Saturday evening to record the lava with his drone and didn't realize the man yelling at him to bring it down was a ranger, he told Hawaii News Now.

"He sounded very angry, confrontational — like he wanted to fight — and I didn't really want to stick around for it so I just told him, 'I don't have ID and I'm leaving," Sanders told the Honolulu news station.

The ranger asked Sanders three times to bring the drone down, and Sanders eventually brought it down, park spokeswoman Jessica Ferracane told The Associated Press Tuesday.

"The ranger identified himself and approached the individual, who refused to identify himself," Ferracane said.

Because Sanders fled and was near the edge of the caldera rim — where there's a 500-foot drop — the ranger deployed a Taser, she said.

Another visitor to the park, Randy Horne, was setting up his camera and tripod at the overlook when he heard a commotion. He heard someone yell stop and when he turned around, he saw the ranger pull out a stun gun. He saw the weapon's "sparkly, glowing blue" wires attached to a man on the ground.

"I really didn't see there was any severe threat going on," Horne, of Honokaa, Hawaii, told the AP. "In my opinion, I thought it was a severe overreaction."

Horne watched as Sanders was handcuffed, checked by paramedics and then put into a police car.

Sanders, 35, of Pahoa, Hawaii, was arrested and cited with interfering with agency functions and operating an aircraft on undesignated land. He was taken to a Hawaii County police cellblock where he spent the night and was released in the morning on $500 bond, Ferracane said. He has a July 22 court date.

"He was described as being very unpredictable, belligerent," Ferracane said of Sanders. "The ranger felt he needed to be stopped for the safety of himself and others."

___

2015-4-29
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

Wow! psycho ranger....
2015-4-29
Use props
EdgyMedia
Second Officer

Japan

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that one.
I'm glad park staff in Japan don't have tasers or guns.
Cops do though, and I'll have to keep that in mind.
2015-4-29
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.3

United States

I think he was flying a Hubsan X4.
2015-4-29
Use props
TuonoV4
lvl.1

South Africa

I'm sorry folks, but there is something seriously wrong with a culture that pulls a taser or gun on someone for no good reason... and it seems to happen so often.
2015-4-29
Use props
FictitiousPerso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

TuonoV4 Posted at 2015-4-29 22:04
I'm sorry folks, but there is something seriously wrong with a culture that pulls a taser or gun on  ...

Totally agree, the taser looney should be arrested too an get counselling or possibly a demotion for being so trigger happy:@
2015-4-29
Use props
steveainscough
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Land of the free?
2015-4-29
Use props
TuonoV4
lvl.1

South Africa

No chance...

2015-4-29
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Especially harsh considering that it is not an offence to fly a drone in National Parks, one is banned from performing a take off or landing in a National Park. They have no rights over the airspace.
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules