Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Advice for a beginner needed
1033 32 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi All,

I've just done my first couple of flights having bought a P4 which I am running on the Go4 app. with an ipad 2 mini. I'm looking to your greater knowledge for some of your advice.

How do I get the best out of the setup I'm using? Which apps. are worth getting? What are the golden settings that you wish you had known at my stage?  Any advice you can give me would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advice
Simon
2018-2-8
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

It's hard to beat your own experience. And although your question is a fair one, your best resources are to read your manual thoroughly several times. Watch some youtube videos about understanding camera settings, iso, exposure, etc. Without actually trying things on your own, you can't really appreciate when you try something new and have better results.
Does this make any sense? I'm sure there will be those who will offer up suggestions, but what is it you are actually asking. I would hope that all of us would agree there is no 1-set of settings or setups that is perfect for all. As far as I am concerned, out of the box using the default settings and cameral on "auto" should give very good results. As you become more experienced, you may want to try new things, and you should. Sometimes they will work and sometimes you may get negative results depending on what you are doing. If you have a specific thing you are wanting to try, please ask. Just like the app. DJI is needed to change some settings on your phantoms the other may not be able to. But for a lot of us, the Litchi app is very useful for running waypoint missions, but is this something you want to do?
2018-2-8
Use props
Jerkman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197054 ft
United States

I'll be interested to hear how you like using the iPad Mini.  Right now I'm using a full size iPad and I find it just a hair too big for my liking.  I think an iPad Mini would be a great size, but I'm hesitant to buy it right now, as Apple should be introducing a newer model before too long.
2018-2-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

My best advice in addition to what RicardoGray already said is to fly in a wide open space where there's no obstacles to crash into and fly figure eight's until you're comfortable with stick movements.
2018-2-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And to add to post fours advice, run through and practice and familiarise yourself with all the RTH scenarios in a wide open area. When and how is RTH initiated, will it go up or down, what control do you have during RTH etc ?

Should it initiate automatically, or even intentionally, then you may have to react quickly without time to think too much.
2018-2-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

If your setup is working well, without problems, you might want to hold off on doing any updates of firmware or software until you've become really familiar with your gear.  There are many cautionary tales on the forums about failed updates, and bricked drones. it would be a great shame if this were to happen to you (at all !) and certainly not before you've had chance to experiment. Stick with what works for the time being, and only consider updates later.  Just my view.
2018-2-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-2-8 07:27
It's hard to beat your own experience. And although your question is a fair one, your best resources are to read your manual thoroughly several times. Watch some youtube videos about understanding camera settings, iso, exposure, etc. Without actually trying things on your own, you can't really appreciate when you try something new and have better results.
Does this make any sense? I'm sure there will be those who will offer up suggestions, but what is it you are actually asking. I would hope that all of us would agree there is no 1-set of settings or setups that is perfect for all. As far as I am concerned, out of the box using the default settings and cameral on "auto" should give very good results. As you become more experienced, you may want to try new things, and you should. Sometimes they will work and sometimes you may get negative results depending on what you are doing. If you have a specific thing you are wanting to try, please ask. Just like the app. DJI is needed to change some settings on your phantoms the other may not be able to. But for a lot of us, the Litchi app is very useful for running waypoint missions, but is this something you want to do?

I fully echo RicardoGray's sage advice...
Not attempting to hedge your reasonable question but there is no one size fits all with these things.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-2-8 07:27
It's hard to beat your own experience. And although your question is a fair one, your best resources are to read your manual thoroughly several times. Watch some youtube videos about understanding camera settings, iso, exposure, etc. Without actually trying things on your own, you can't really appreciate when you try something new and have better results.
Does this make any sense? I'm sure there will be those who will offer up suggestions, but what is it you are actually asking. I would hope that all of us would agree there is no 1-set of settings or setups that is perfect for all. As far as I am concerned, out of the box using the default settings and cameral on "auto" should give very good results. As you become more experienced, you may want to try new things, and you should. Sometimes they will work and sometimes you may get negative results depending on what you are doing. If you have a specific thing you are wanting to try, please ask. Just like the app. DJI is needed to change some settings on your phantoms the other may not be able to. But for a lot of us, the Litchi app is very useful for running waypoint missions, but is this something you want to do?

That’s excellent thanks very much, I come from a keen photographic background so I’m used to playing with aperture and iso settings. I hope it’s ok to message you as I play with the p4 as it may lead to more specific questions. Thanks again.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jerkman Posted at 2018-2-8 08:01
I'll be interested to hear how you like using the iPad Mini.  Right now I'm using a full size iPad and I find it just a hair too big for my liking.  I think an iPad Mini would be a great size, but I'm hesitant to buy it right now, as Apple should be introducing a newer model before too long.

I’ll certainly keep you posted. So far the size is ideal and the screens not too small to see all the settings although I must admit I’m concentrating more initially with getting used to manoeuvring the bird then worrying to much about anything else. I went for a cheaper 2nd hand mini 2 initially as most places seem to be running down stocks of mini 4’s with presumably the 5 due soon. Once the new ones out I’ll decide if an upgrade is needed. I’ve had a couple of breaks/lag in picture when I’m about 300mtrs away but only for about 0.5 sec but enough to make my heart skip a beat. It might just be the area I was in so looking to see if it happens elsewhere. Keep you posted
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-8 08:14
My best advice in addition to what RicardoGray already said is to fly in a wide open space where there's no obstacles to crash into and fly figure eight's until you're comfortable with stick movements.

Good shout, hadn’t thought of doing figure of 8’s so I’ll give it a try. Thsnls very much.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-8 08:34
And to add to post fours advice, run through and practice and familiarise yourself with all the RTH scenarios in a wide open area. When and how is RTH initiated, will it go up or down, what control do you have during RTH etc ?

Should it initiate automatically, or even intentionally, then you may have to react quickly without time to think too much.

Thanks, what do you mean about not having time to react. Does Rth need you to do anything other than wait for it to return home and guide it down. Sorry if I sound thick!
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-8 10:44
If your setup is working well, without problems, you might want to hold off on doing any updates of firmware or software until you've become really familiar with your gear.  There are many cautionary tales on the forums about failed updates, and bricked drones. it would be a great shame if this were to happen to you (at all !) and certainly not before you've had chance to experiment. Stick with what works for the time being, and only consider updates later.  Just my view.

Thanks, yea I’ve read quite a lot about updates causing more issues than they fix but I didn’t realise you didn’t have to instal them and it was optional.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-8 10:53
I fully echo RicardoGray's sage advice...
Not attempting to hedge your reasonable question but there is no one size fits all with these things.

Cool thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I would suggest getting a set of good quality filters.
Get outside and play with the settings and different features whilest learning to handle the drone at the same time.

Take baby steps im still learning new things each day.
2018-2-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

fans251837f1 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:16
Thanks, yea I’ve read quite a lot about updates causing more issues than they fix but I didn’t realise you didn’t have to instal them and it was optional.

I've stuck with the old firmware and software from May 2017.  Apart from occasional delays before my Android device will connect to the controller (random event) I have no issues.
Fly happy.
2018-2-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans251837f1 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:14
Thanks, what do you mean about not having time to react. Does Rth need you to do anything other than wait for it to return home and guide it down. Sorry if I sound thick!

One situation that some have come across is flying in the garden, they hit RTH and the aircraft lands in the swimming pool, duck pond or whatever bush or tree happens to be in the way. So the information here is that if you initiate RTH within 20m (65 feet) of homepoint, the aircraft will land, that's it. But if you realise your mistake you can stop the descent and steer it to a safe landing zone using the RC.

RTH is not failsafe and needs some understanding to avoid accidents.

Regarding updates, the latest 02.00.0700 P4 firmware appears to be good and has fixed the problems with last Julys 02.00.0106 release which caused problems for a significant number of people.

As it's new I would also consider a full calibration:-

There are five calibrations on the P4:-

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.0, or latest version), usually done just after update on Assistant 2.

2) IMU (level surface, make sure it's had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature, a cool evening or air conditioned room below 10 degrees C helps).  
Using the newer '3D' IMU calibration routine, my last two IMU calibrations have been done at about 20C ambient air temperature. The subsequent IMU warm up time when aircraft is first powered up and initialising does not seem to have been adversely affected, and warm up time is a few seconds at most.

3) Gimbal (just after IMU).

4) RC sticks (with aircraft off).

5) And compass (in an open area (not over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference). Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation. Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc) will generate a 'compass error', this does not mean compass needs recalibration. just move the aircraft away from source of interference.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-8 12:18
I would suggest getting a set of good quality filters.
Get outside and play with the settings and different features whilest learning to handle the drone at the same time.

Good advice thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:21
I've stuck with the old firmware and software from May 2017.  Apart from occasional delays before my Android device will connect to the controller (random event) I have no issues.
Fly happy.

Cheers thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-8 12:41
One situation that some have come across is flying in the garden, they hit RTH and the aircraft lands in the swimming pool, duck pond or whatever bush or tree happens to be in the way. So the information here is that if you initiate RTH within 20m (65 feet) of homepoint, the aircraft will land, that's it. But if you realise your mistake you can stop the descent and steer it to a safe landing zone using the RC.

That’s great thank you, appreciate the advice
2018-2-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would add to the list of potential compass interference when calibrating - power lines, your watch, your cell phone or a belt buckle if it's ferrous.
2018-2-8
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fans251837f1 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:00
That’s excellent thanks very much, I come from a keen photographic background so I’m used to playing with aperture and iso settings. I hope it’s ok to message you as I play with the p4 as it may lead to more specific questions. Thanks again.

I assure you all of us are open to more questions. As you can see from the multiple responses you got from your original question, everyone here wants to help. As I'm sure you now realize, it is just kind of hard to throw out a perfect set of settings that will work for everyone. Nice to hear you have some background in camera settings ,etc. All of the comments given are good advice. Like most of us have eluded to, these aircraft are very complicated machines and there is so much you can modify and try. Not that it has to be that way. DJI has made it so just about anybody can purchase a drone and take it out of the box and fly.............maybe they have made it a bit too easy in my mind. Most get into trouble by not understanding some of the basic functions like the RTH, and then complain it's DJI's fault, when the aircraft did exactly what it was supposed to but the OP didn't take time to experiment with it , or read it until they understood it. Anyway, get out there and have fun. Don't hesitate to ask when you can't figure something out, most of us have gone through those same things and can offer some advise that may help.
2018-2-9
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Captain Genghis9 SIr,  what exactly  is the benefit of calibrating the IMU when the aircraft is cold? I do not know why but have heard this before. Thanks.
2018-2-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Archangel3356 Posted at 2018-2-9 07:27
Captain Genghis9 SIr,  what exactly  is the benefit of calibrating the IMU when the aircraft is cold? I do not know why but have heard this before. Thanks.

Would that be me ?

I don't mind he's a good egg

In time gone by now, the calibration method for the P4 IMU was different from now. The benefit of calibrating the IMU when cold was that the 'IMU warm up time' when you first power up the P4 could be greatly reduced from perhaps  ninety seconds to less than 20 seconds (time wasted before you could take off). However, with the latest firmware and newer, different IMU calibration method, the ambient temperature at which the IMU is calibrated seems to have no significant impact on the 'IMU warm up time'. If you switch on RC & display and run DJI Go 4, then power up aircraft, you will see the 'IMU warming up' warning appear in the aircraft status menu for a few seconds.

Edit:- I never updated my notes, which is why there is a reference to 'cold' calibration in terms of ambient temperature. I would still give the electronis half an hour to cool down if it's been used. But even that may have changed.
2018-2-9
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Oops ! Yes Aardvark I did mean you, sorry. I wish I could post the data file in my old head and see what’s up with my firmware. Anyway, thanks for that explanation as I have yet to see any kind of warm up status on my Phantom. Could just be Arizona which is another topic I need to start soon. 118 degree days.  Probably haven’t seen it because it’s only on a fraction of a second. Appreciate your time as always and I do apologize to both of you gentlemen.  Throw that around loosely because I’m new around these parts.
2018-2-9
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
Netherlands

All good posts and advice here.

I can only add - get to know how your drone handles.

Stick within drone code,  download altitude angel.
Once you get comfortable flying your drone - then you can start playing with your gimbal settings.  Out of the box settings can be a bit twitchy for some.

Plenty of help vids on YouTube.
2018-2-9
Use props
Farmflyer321
lvl.1
Flight distance : 236250 ft
Australia

Totally up to you but i prefer to set my return to home hight abit higher than is pre set. As it comes it is set to 30m i like mine at 50m.  Its personal preference thing i just feel safer that way.
2018-2-10
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ok so a major problem yesterday that I need your help on. Did the whole calibration stuff as normal, voice confirmed homepoint had been set as normal. 10 mins into the flight and only about 300mtrs tops away I hit interference, compass error etc high wind warning. Worried by this I actioned the return to home and then just watched on the screen as the bird went further and further away and about a mile away disconnected from the handset and disappeared!!!!!!!!! I waited a few minutes thinking "it will be ok, if the bird disconnects it will just return to the home point set" but nothing. After ten mins I jumped into the car and drove the direction it was headed. About a mile down the road I picked up a signal on the ipad connected to the remote stopped and saw it landing itself. I could see a golf flag as it was landing and with only one golf course near me I drive there and found it beautifully landed on the green (a lot closer to the flag then I hit a ball!!!!)
Question is "what the hell went wrong and how can I stop this happening again"
2018-2-13
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-2-9 23:37
All good posts and advice here.

I can only add - get to know how your drone handles.

Excellent thanks
2018-2-13
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Farmflyer321 Posted at 2018-2-10 01:06
Totally up to you but i prefer to set my return to home hight abit higher than is pre set. As it comes it is set to 30m i like mine at 50m.  Its personal preference thing i just feel safer that way.

Ok thanks i'll try it.
2018-2-13
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans251837f1 Posted at 2018-2-13 02:36
Ok so a major problem yesterday that I need your help on. Did the whole calibration stuff as normal, voice confirmed homepoint had been set as normal. 10 mins into the flight and only about 300mtrs tops away I hit interference, compass error etc high wind warning. Worried by this I actioned the return to home and then just watched on the screen as the bird went further and further away and about a mile away disconnected from the handset and disappeared!!!!!!!!! I waited a few minutes thinking "it will be ok, if the bird disconnects it will just return to the home point set" but nothing. After ten mins I jumped into the car and drove the direction it was headed. About a mile down the road I picked up a signal on the ipad connected to the remote stopped and saw it landing itself. I could see a golf flag as it was landing and with only one golf course near me I drive there and found it beautifully landed on the green (a lot closer to the flag then I hit a ball!!!!)
Question is "what the hell went wrong and how can I stop this happening again"

So almost a hole in one, turned out to be a birdie :-)

First thing would be to try and establish what went wrong.

Have a look at This Page, instructions are there as to how to upload your data which is held on your display device. Once done and you see the results chart, copy the address and post here. That may shed some light as to what went wrong.
2018-2-13
Use props
Mark in NW Iowa
lvl.1
United States

fans251837f1 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:09
I’ll certainly keep you posted. So far the size is ideal and the screens not too small to see all the settings although I must admit I’m concentrating more initially with getting used to manoeuvring the bird then worrying to much about anything else. I went for a cheaper 2nd hand mini 2 initially as most places seem to be running down stocks of mini 4’s with presumably the 5 due soon. Once the new ones out I’ll decide if an upgrade is needed. I’ve had a couple of breaks/lag in picture when I’m about 300mtrs away but only for about 0.5 sec but enough to make my heart skip a beat. It might just be the area I was in so looking to see if it happens elsewhere. Keep you posted

I had tried to use a mini 2 but it would heat up and I would lose the video feed..  it seems the processor is it just can’t take the workload,.  I upgraded this Christmas to a mini 4 as there were some very good deals on them..

Mark
2018-2-13
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mark in NW Iowa Posted at 2018-2-13 04:56
I had tried to use a mini 2 but it would heat up and I would lose the video feed..  it seems the processor is it just can’t take the workload,.  I upgraded this Christmas to a mini 4 as there were some very good deals on them..

Mark

Ok thanks.
2018-2-13
Use props
fans251837f1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-13 02:49
So almost a hole in one, turned out to be a birdie :-)

First thing would be to try and establish what went wrong.

Almost in one yea, nice lie though, easy birdie! Ok I'll upload tonight, thanks.
2018-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules