Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Registering the Mavic Air with the FAA
12Next >
12337 48 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parisi2274
First Officer
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

Hi All,

I received my Mavic Air today and I may have registered it under the wrong section with the FAA.  I was so excited to get everything setup so that I could start flying that I initially registered my drone under the Fly sUAS under Part 107 dashboard, and then after reading a bit more I noticed that I should have registered under the Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336 dashboard.  So now I have two different registration numbers.  Does it matter?  I mean I assume its fine, as long as I have both on my drone, or at least the Section 336 reg #.

Can someone reply back who might have some insight into this, as I want to make sure I am covered for when I fly this thing.

Thanks All!!!  
2018-2-8
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Yeah, just use the 336 tag, I wouldn't put the 107 tag on it as that # is for commercial use, they got you to pay twice I assume?
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You didn't pay twice did you?
2018-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

336 tag is sufficient.
2018-2-8
Use props
Parisi2274
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-8 12:15
Yeah, just use the 336 tag, I wouldn't put the 107 tag on it as that # is for commercial use, they got you to pay twice I assume?

Yeah I did pay twice, because I didn't realize it and I paid for the 107 cert. first.
2018-2-8
Use props
Parisi2274
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 12:17
You didn't pay twice did you?

Yeah I did, because I did the 107 cert first and then the 336.  Its only $10, so I am not that upset....
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Parisi2274 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:34
Yeah I did, because I did the 107 cert first and then the 336.  Its only $10, so I am not that upset....

Thats cheap - we are starting drone registration in the UK soon too - probably $100 here LOL
2018-2-8
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 12:39
Thats cheap - we are starting drone registration in the UK soon too - probably $100 here LOL

That would really suck if true lol
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rolling56 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:45
That would really suck if true lol

Rip off Britain mate LOL
2018-2-8
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

Parisi2274 Posted at 2018-2-8 12:34
Yeah I did pay twice, because I didn't realize it and I paid for the 107 cert. first.

Remember the number you got for Part 336 is good for any drone you have or may purchase in the future. One number many drones ! Pilots flying commercially for hire have to register each drone and each drone has their own 107 number.
2018-2-8
Use props
Parisi2274
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-8 14:19
Remember the number you got for Part 336 is good for any drone you have or may purchase in the future. One number many drones ! Pilots flying commercially for hire have to register each drone and each drone has their own 107 number.

Thanks.  I just affixed the registration number to the inside of the battery compartment so that it is not showing when I am out flying and doesn't ruin the look of the drone.
2018-2-8
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Another word of warning for others - there's a site out there that pops up if you Google "FAA registration for drones".  They've managed to get the No 1 spot on results.  Problem is, it's NOT the FAA but rather some rip off private company or person whose website says "FAA".  But this site is NOT the real FAA and they charge you something like $25.  They do register your drone for you, but if you do it correctly and through the REAL FAA, the cost is only $5.  Just be watchful.  
2018-2-8
Use props
Parisi2274
First Officer
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-8 16:45
Another word of warning for others - there's a site out there that pops up if you Google "FAA registration for drones".  They've managed to get the No 1 spot on results.  Problem is, it's NOT the FAA but rather some rip off private company or person whose website says "FAA".  But this site is NOT the real FAA and they charge you something like $25.  They do register your drone for you, but if you do it correctly and through the REAL FAA, the cost is only $5.  Just be watchful.

I did google drone registration and I went to the FAA.gov site and from there I did the registration and paid the $5
2018-2-8
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Another word of warning for others - there's a site out there that pops up if you Google "FAA registration for drones".  They've managed to get the No 1 spot on results.  Problem is, it's NOT the FAA but rather some rip off private company or person whose website says "FAA".  But this site is NOT the real FAA and they charge you something like $25.  They do register your drone for you, but if you do it correctly and through the REAL FAA, the cost is only $5.  Just be watchful.

Well crap, Victim number one here
2018-2-8
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-2-8 16:59
Well crap, Victim number one here

#2 here. No worries, it's all good. A modest few extra essentially needless bucks at the end of the day. Not losing any sleep over it; have moved on...
2018-2-8
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

Parisi2274 Posted at 2018-2-8 14:48
Thanks.  I just affixed the registration number to the inside of the battery compartment so that it is not showing when I am out flying and doesn't ruin the look of the drone.

This is probably a silly question, but is the registration number just something that associates your drone's serial number with a registration number and info in a database to keep the FAA happy, or are we supposed to display it on the outside, like one would with any other aviation vehicle?

I'm an amateur radio operator (WB1HIH), and I know that we have a bunch of FCC rules we have to follow as far as display of license near our base station.

Was just curious if it's safer to affix numeric stickers on the side so folks can see that it's registered, or if that's not a requirement?  Does anyone know what the FAA's rule/intent is?
2018-2-8
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

se

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-8 18:21
This is probably a silly question, but is the registration number just something that associates your drone's serial number with a registration number and info in a database to keep the FAA happy, or are we supposed to display it on the outside, like one would with any other aviation vehicle?

I'm an amateur radio operator (WB1HIH), and I know that we have a bunch of FCC rules we have to follow as far as display of license near our base station.

I chose to place my Dymo printed label with my FAA sUAS registration # plainly visible on the shell / topside, along with a separate "REWARD IF FOUND" label that also includes my cell number (just in case...). I'd rather spoil the aesthetics just a tad so nobody has to do any "disassembly" (i.e., figure out how to remove the battery) to clearly know how to contact me if heaven forbid my drone ever flies away into other hands. YMMV!
2018-2-8
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-2-8 18:32
I chose to place my Dymo printed label with my FAA sUAS registration # plainly visible on the shell / topside, along with a separate "REWARD IF FOUND" label that also includes my cell number (just in case...). I'd rather spoil the aesthetics just a tad so nobody has to do any "disassembly" (i.e., figure out how to remove the battery) to clearly know how to contact me if heaven forbid my drone ever flies away into other hands. YMMV!

Ahh, I like the idea of having a "REWARD IF FOUND" tag.  Great idea!  I have a 3D printer, so I may 3D print some fun letters. Or, to keep the aerodynamics happy, just buy some stickers. I also have a Dymo, so I guess I could do that. It prints an inch tall, I think?
2018-2-8
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-8 18:41
Ahh, I like the idea of having a "REWARD IF FOUND" tag.  Great idea!  I have a 3D printer, so I may 3D print some fun letters. Or, to keep the aerodynamics happy, just buy some stickers. I also have a Dymo, so I guess I could do that. It prints an inch tall, I think?

Totally depends on which Dymo model you have and which kind of label / cassette is compatible with that specific model. Some of the wider labels are limited to certain models. Makes your head kind of explode, I know...

I think 1/2 inch is something of a standard, although I know that with mine (depending on font size) I can get 2 rows of decent-sized text on a single label.
2018-2-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You don't register a drone.  You register the pilot.  Only once is needed for all of your drones.
2018-2-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
United States

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-8 18:21
This is probably a silly question, but is the registration number just something that associates your drone's serial number with a registration number and info in a database to keep the FAA happy, or are we supposed to display it on the outside, like one would with any other aviation vehicle?

You do NOT register the drone!  The pilot is registered and you use the FA number on all of your drones, assuming not part 107.
2018-2-8
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-2-8 19:11
Totally depends on which Dymo model you have and which kind of label / cassette is compatible with that specific model. Some of the wider labels are limited to certain models. Makes your head kind of explode, I know...

I think 1/2 inch is something of a standard, although I know that with mine (depending on font size) I can get 2 rows of decent-sized text on a single label.

I had one of the original PT-1800 models, and it aged, then part of the case broke, but I loved it.  Gave it to my mom.

My wife was able to locate an almost new PT-1800 (they don't make that model anymore) on eBay so, now I have my favorite Dymo again.

Looks like the max-size tape is 3/4" (18mm).  So yeah, probably going to go the vinyl sticker route or the 3D printer thing.  Although the Mavic Air is fairly small, isn't it?
2018-2-9
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-2-8 19:59
You do NOT register the drone!  The pilot is registered and you use the FA number on all of your drones, assuming not part 107.

Ahh okay.  I've been reading and watching the FAA rules and regulations change over the years.  I'm glad they're making it easier for folks.

I think one of the concerns with Section 336 is the non-commercial rule.  I mean, at first, probably for awhile, it's going to be just for fun.  But I'm sure I'm going to want to use footage (photos and video) for commercial purposes.  Guess you start with the section 336 license first, enjoy they flying, put your hours in, and then switch to the Part 107 when you're ready to use it for business purposes?
2018-2-9
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-2-8 19:59
You do NOT register the drone!  The pilot is registered and you use the FA number on all of your drones, assuming not part 107.

Cool. So armed with that information, I went out and got my official Section 336 "Small UAS Certificate of Registration." I'd been holding off because it's my first drone and I wanted to have the serial number before I registered. But I guess that's not required for Section 336. Yay!
2018-2-9
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-2-8 18:32
I chose to place my Dymo printed label with my FAA sUAS registration # plainly visible on the shell / topside, along with a separate "REWARD IF FOUND" label that also includes my cell number (just in case...). I'd rather spoil the aesthetics just a tad so nobody has to do any "disassembly" (i.e., figure out how to remove the battery) to clearly know how to contact me if heaven forbid my drone ever flies away into other hands. YMMV!

Dymo makes a white-on-clear, 3/4" (18mm) tall TZe tape that I just ordered on Amazon earlier this morning.  My drone is going to have the best markings!  
2018-2-9
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-9 09:08
Dymo makes a white-on-clear, 3/4" (18mm) tall TZe tape that I just ordered on Amazon earlier this morning.  My drone is going to have the best markings!

Good to know, thanks. I used black on white tape to label my Spark, but white on clear will be just as legible without masking a single square mm of the MA's gorgeous shell that's not absolutely necessary! Great idea. I'll have to see if I can snag a same or next day Prime delivery on the white-on-clear, as she goes up for her maiden flight at 5 pm Mountain time tomorrow, weather & winds permitting of course.

...UPDATE...

SCORE! Snagged the tape with same day delivery (had to buy an anemometer to get the order up to the minimum of $35 in same-day-eligible items ... "needed" one and was considering it anyway, so I consider it kismet), so they'll both arrive today. Awesome. Gotta love Amazon; I'm sure they love me right back!

Sorry for straying further OT...
2018-2-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
United States

Just be sure you don't use metallic labels that might interfere with the GPS antenna(s).
2018-2-9
Use props
MrArtDept
lvl.1

United States

Do you need to do the part 107 test in order to fly the drone or is that just for commercial use?
2018-2-9
Use props
Heincon
lvl.1
United States

do we really have to register with FAA? i live in vegas and i just got my Air. thanks in advance
2018-2-12
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

MrArtDept Posted at 2018-2-9 20:11
Do you need to do the part 107 test in order to fly the drone or is that just for commercial use?

Just Commercial use, if you want to sell your photos/videos for monetary gain. You can share and give them away all you want.
2018-2-12
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

Heincon Posted at 2018-2-12 15:13
do we really have to register with FAA? i live in vegas and i just got my Air. thanks in advance

Yes it is Federal law that you register under part 336 for recreational use, Part 107 for commercial.

FAA Drone Registration

You can operate many drones under one Part 336 Reg #, Part 107 requires a seperate registration for each drone you are using for commercial use.
2018-2-12
Use props
ajbezark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-12 15:30
Yes it is Federal law that you register under part 336 for recreational use, Part 107 for commercial.

FAA Drone Registration

Please note that the link in the previous post takes you to one of those commercial sites that looks like the FAA, but is actually a private business that charges a fee to register the drone for you.

The actual FAA registration site is: https://faadronezone.faa.gov

No need to use those commercial sites unless you want to pay an extra $20 for the privilege.
2018-2-16
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another word of warning for others - there's a site out there that pops up if you Google "FAA registration for drones".  They've managed to get the No 1 spot on results.  Problem is, it's NOT the FAA but rather some rip off private company or person whose website says "FAA".  But this site is NOT the real FAA and they charge you something like $25.  They do register your drone for you, but if you do it correctly and through the REAL FAA, the cost is only $5.  Just be watchful.

Yup! I was a victim. I paid $27 on their website and additional $5 for the actual FAA registration. Though they give you small stickers to stick into your drone/s. Still a rip-off.
2018-2-16
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

ajbezark Posted at 2018-2-16 13:19
Please note that the link in the previous post takes you to one of those commercial sites that looks like the FAA, but is actually a private business that charges a fee to register the drone for you.

The actual FAA registration site is: https://faadronezone.faa.gov

Yeah, I registered through them, $5 /Part 336, $15 / Part 107 (3 Drones) opt'd out for the stickers and bling they offer. Got the Cert's & numbers immediately, although that was almost 2 years ago.
2018-2-16
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info. I had all 3 of my drones registered under Part 107.  Now I have my 336 registration as well.  I'm super registered.
2018-2-16
Use props
fansf77370fb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

I was under the understanding you did not need to register drones anymore.
2018-2-16
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-9 03:55
Ahh okay.  I've been reading and watching the FAA rules and regulations change over the years.  I'm glad they're making it easier for folks.

I think one of the concerns with Section 336 is the non-commercial rule.  I mean, at first, probably for awhile, it's going to be just for fun.  But I'm sure I'm going to want to use footage (photos and video) for commercial purposes.  Guess you start with the section 336 license first, enjoy they flying, put your hours in, and then switch to the Part 107 when you're ready to use it for business purposes?

That’s exactly my current approach.  Milk the hobbyist / 336 registration & associated rights & restrictions for all it’s worth, initially at least, then cross over to 107 when & if it becomes necessary down the road sometime. Baby steps.
P.S. for those not clear (don’t blink; the law is subject to change in an instant) my (present) understanding is that the National Defense Act/Bill that Pres. Trump signed into law on or about 12/18/2017 reinstated the requirement to register with the FAA any drones weighing >0.55 lbs. (that presently encompasses ALL current DJI drone modet(s). Deal with it; it’s a lousy $5 and the need to print out/affix a freakin’ label on the drone. Really not a huge deal in the grand scheme of what we could otherwise be saddled with in less enlightened times! Let’s hope not to go there, ever! Path of least resistance...
2018-2-16
Use props
Amarand
lvl.4
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-2-16 18:28
That’s exactly my current approach.  Milk the hobbyist / 336 registration & associated rights & restrictions for all it’s worth, initially at least, then cross over to 107 when & if it becomes necessary down the road sometime. Baby steps.
P.S. for those not clear (don’t blink; the law is subject to change in an instant) my (present) understanding is that the National Defense Act/Bill that Pres. Trump signed into law on or about 12/18/2017 reinstated the requirement to register with the FAA any drones weighing >0.55 lbs. (that presently encompasses ALL current DJI drone modet(s). Deal with it; it’s a lousy $5 and the need to print out/affix a freakin’ label on the drone. Really not a huge deal in the grand scheme of what we could otherwise be saddled with in less enlightened times! Let’s hope not to go there, ever! Path of least resistance...

Also, just so we're clear, the FAA Section 336 does not have the facility for registering individual drone serial numbers - so the web-site (as of this moment) only allows you to register aircraft under Part 107.

Cite: https://faadronezone.faa.gov/
"Inventory" is only listed under the Part 107 section. NO inventory section (or "Manage sUAS Inventory" button) is available over on Section 336 side.

It's interesting, though, that the REGULATION states:

"Where do I register my Unmanned Aircraft?

Register your aircraft using this website if it weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).
Register an unmanned aircraft that weighs 55 lbs. (25 kg) or more. Register your aircraft using this website if it weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).

You will be subject to civil and criminal penalties if you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register."

Yet there's no place where you can actually register a serial number or sUAS (yet). Maybe paying the Section 336 $5 fee per pilot "registers" all of your non-commercial aircraft, without having to supply serial numbers or any other data?  There's literally no place to enter this data. It simply says "here's your registration #" and "You must mark each aircraft with the assigned unique registration number before it is operated."  So maybe that's enough? Or maybe the law will change and it will be individual aircraft registration?  The actual verbiage on the Section 336 site states you have to register each aircraft, but a lot of folks here say "you're registering the pilot, not the aircraft." The official FAA text seems to contradict that.  The word "register" implies telling the FAA about each aircraft. The term "label" implies putting a visible registration number on each aircraft.  The whole "label" thing is only mentioned once. But the "register" term with the word "aircraft" is used all over the place.  Odd.

This is the reason why it took me a few years to buy a drone. The laws and rules have been wild-west for so long, and they're starting to coalesce into a slightly less confusing (yet ambiguous) mess.
2018-2-17
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
United States

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-17 08:58
Also, just so we're clear, the FAA Section 336 does not have the facility for registering individual drone serial numbers - so the web-site (as of this moment) only allows you to register aircraft under Part 107.

Cite: https://faadronezone.faa.gov/

Yah, it's hella confusing and changes all the time, but I think you've basically got it. The $5 Part 336 registration number covers ALL your drones (no individual SNs required) as long as they/you meet the requirements for hobbyist use classification. Commercial use of ANY kind requires Part 107 certification, and under that each drone carries its own registration number.
2018-2-17
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-16 17:31
I was under the understanding you did not need to register drones anymore.

Not the drone itself but you have to register as a hobby pilot under Part 336.  www.faa.gov/uas
2018-2-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules