Who Will Sell Their Spark To Upgrade To Mavic Air ?
12Next >
4402 43 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BillTheDroneReviewer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1211427 ft
  • >>>
United States

So who is going to sell their Spark and get a Mavic Air ?
2018-2-8
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have, I noticed that with the better camera the MA was always the goto machine  in any situation, its just betters the spark in all features, except for the price
2018-2-8
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

not i. quite content with spark. were i to add to the hangar, it would be some yet-to-be-unveiled machine. i'm just a civilian hobbyist  
2018-2-8
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

lannes Posted at 2018-2-8 14:43
I have, I noticed that with the better camera the MA was always the goto machine  in any situation, its just betters the spark in all features, except for the price

I was pretty much going to say the exact same thing. But there has to be a noticeable price difference between the two so the Mavic and Spark line up stay different.  If the Air was only like $100 more expensive, no one would ever buy the all mighty spark. So thats the reason
2018-2-8
Use props
SkyBug2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

I’m not selling the sparks but I’m going to buy the air as long as I can hide it from the wife...
2018-2-8
Use props
lvl.2
United States

I will be selling the Spark eventually but I will upgrade to the Mavic Pro 2
2018-2-8
Use props
Ricky Aerial Photography
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I am a Spark owner and will not buy another wifi Drones, e.g, Mavic Air. Spark and Mavic Air are using wifi channels. Wifi channels are subject to interference from common household wifi appliances. These wifi drones are only good for line of sight flights, e,g. within very close range, to ensure good connection between phone/RC/AC。To sum up, wifi Drones are unreliable for longer range.
My opinion is avoid wifi Drones, if you are used to fly long distances in heavily interference areas. I would not dare to fly wifi Drones more than 200m away and 100m vertical up.
2018-2-8
Use props
andwluv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167241 ft
Malaysia

Nope, my Spark stay. Still the smallest reliable UAS
2018-2-8
Use props
Ricky Aerial Photography
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Wifi Drones, e.g. Spark/Mavic Air, rely on Wifi, GPS and Compass (mainly) to ensure its safely. If wifi is interrupted (it is quite often the case if you are flying in heavily interference areas), it will turn on to its GPS and Compass to navigate back home. However, GPS and Compass are not so reliable in these consumer products. Costs may be a main reason. Only at conditions that wifi, GPS and Compass are at their best reception, wifi Drones can perform its tasks exceed your expectations. If one of these systems fails, wifi Drones will get into trouble. Often, flyers complained that they lost their drones.
If manufactures do not come up with a better solution on transmission, better GPS and sensors accuracy and are less susceptible to interferences. I would not consider to invest further in current wifi drones technology. Will wait until the next generation of high tech drones become available.
2018-2-8
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

808@206, 702 Posted at 2018-2-8 16:53
I will be selling the Spark eventually but I will upgrade to the Mavic Pro 2

March is when the Mavic Air comes in new colors and changes it's name to Mavic Pro 2.  You can get a Mavic in Spark colors, yay!  
2018-2-8
Use props
DylanR2011
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148596 ft
United States

Don't think I'm going to sell at all. Might still buy a Mavic Air though for the obstacle avoidance, range, and 4k. If I don't get a Mavic Air I might find a Mavic Pro for sale somewhere.  
2018-2-8
Use props
fansb8eb41bc
lvl.2
United States

I had the same question. Would people who use the spark purely for a fun & personal hobby upgrade to Mavic Air paying double the price ?  I doubt this. I know the Mavic Air has good features like 4k, range, 3-axis gimbal, obstacle avoidance. But most of the spark owners should be happy with the spark's 1080 video quality since most of them fly the spark in line of sight only. Yes the above features on Air are nice to have but can live without it if they use it for personal purposes.   
2018-2-9
Use props
Smark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80089 ft
United States

No plans on selling. The price gap is significant (Spark and controller  ~$500). Plus, I'm loving this little bird!
2018-2-9
Use props
dji TO88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-8 17:41
March is when the Mavic Air comes in new colors and changes it's name to Mavic Pro 2.  You can get a Mavic in Spark colors, yay!

I second this may be best to wait until the release of the Pro 2
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I did. And then my Air landed in a lake yesterday.
2018-2-9
Use props
BillTheDroneReviewer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ricky Aerial Photography Posted at 2018-2-8 17:18
I am a Spark owner and will not buy another wifi Drones, e.g, Mavic Air. Spark and Mavic Air are using wifi channels. Wifi channels are subject to interference from common household wifi appliances. These wifi drones are only good for line of sight flights, e,g. within very close range, to ensure good connection between phone/RC/AC。To sum up, wifi Drones are unreliable for longer range.
My opinion is avoid wifi Drones, if you are used to fly long distances in heavily interference areas. I would not dare to fly wifi Drones more than 200m away and 100m vertical up.

That’s why I was disappointed that the Mavic Air didn’t use OccuSync. Heard the reason was OccuSync takes up more physical space than WiFi. And WiFi I’m sure costs less to produce. Your points are well taken.
2018-2-9
Use props
BillTheDroneReviewer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansb8eb41bc Posted at 2018-2-9 06:07
I had the same question. Would people who use the spark purely for a fun & personal hobby upgrade to Mavic Air paying double the price ?  I doubt this. I know the Mavic Air has good features like 4k, range, 3-axis gimbal, obstacle avoidance. But most of the spark owners should be happy with the spark's 1080 video quality since most of them fly the spark in line of sight only. Yes the above features on Air are nice to have but can live without it if they use it for personal purposes.

All good points. I’m waiting on the Mavic Pro 2.
2018-2-9
Use props
BillTheDroneReviewer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-9 07:31

Oh no !  So sorry to hear that. Do you have insurance or DJI Care ?
2018-2-9
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

SkyBug2 Posted at 2018-2-8 16:37
I’m not selling the sparks but I’m going to buy the air as long as I can hide it from the wife...

LOL .. I was thinking the same thing.  But how, or will she ever notice the difference .. LOL
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

BillTheDroneReviewer Posted at 2018-2-9 08:42

Not insured, and DJI Care only is helpful if you can get it back to send it in ... which nope.
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

BillTheDroneReviewer Posted at 2018-2-9 08:42

https://forum.dji.com/thread-134180-1-1.html
2018-2-9
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Canada

My theory is the Mavic Air is more a spark than a Mavic Pro; or the end of the road for the Spark.  First let me say, that I love my Spark and I'm not upgrading anytime soon.  They went with the Mavic naming as it seems to have more visibility to the market even though the Spark was a breakthrough drone well marketed across the world.
  • Battery life is closer to the spark then the Mavic
  • It uses WiFi, os does the Spark
  • Hand gestures
  • Hand launch and land
  • 4k limited frame rate; which is what most Spark owners wanted from DJI; Spark 2

Maybe I'm wrong; please don't bash my theory, we all have an opinion.

Spark is here to stay for now; do I see a Spark 2 in the near future, not likely.  But I do see the Mavic branding growing with rumors of a Mavic Pro 2.
2018-2-9
Use props
SkyBug2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-9 08:53
LOL .. I was thinking the same thing.  But how, or will she ever notice the difference .. LOL

Mine won’t notice a thing as long as they are all the same color. lol
2018-2-9
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I have taken the opportunity in the down Mavic Pro market and upgraded in that direction.  I picked up an open box refurb return from microcenter yesterday for sub-$600 before tax.  
2018-2-9
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

Sorry doubletap
2018-2-9
Use props
Capt.Cool_More
lvl.1
Gabon

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-9 07:31

Same case here and DJI Care is not covered any water damage.
2018-2-9
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I'll wait for a Mavic water pro.
2018-2-9
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Canada

SkyBug2 Posted at 2018-2-9 09:06

Mine is a little more observant .. the Mavic Air unfolds where my spark doesn't.  Other than that I'd be good.
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Capt.Cool_More Posted at 2018-2-9 09:59
Same case here and DJI Care is not covered any water damage.

DJI Care covers water damage, according to their website.

It doesn't cover "sank to the bottom of a lake in winter"
2018-2-9
Use props
Ricky Aerial Photography
lvl.3
Hong Kong

DJI markets another wifi drone, i.e. Mavic Air, I think is a mistake. DJI does not learn from users experiences of Spark. Browsing through Spark forums, most of the complains on Spark are firstly, on the reliability of wifi transmission, secondly sometimes it fails to RTH  in cases of disconnection, thirdly Spark's short flight time. Proud Spark users seldom complained on photo/video quality. Mavic Air is still using the not so reliable wifi and with the same GPS/Compass technology, but with a much improved photo/video capabilities. I think, DJI does not read users expectations correctly.

As a Spark owner, what I really want is a reliable bird (Period). A drone that I can fly whenever I want and without much worries on losing/crashing it. Spark's video and photo quality meets my needs. I cannot see any reason to pay double the price for another wifi Drone that may share the same wifi problems as Spark!
2018-2-9
Use props
Ricky Aerial Photography
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I further predict that Mavic Air may be a marketing disaster for DJI. Wifi drones are unreliable (under some unfortunate conditions). Who would pay $999 for a drone that may suddenly disconnect when is flying over areas of farm houses that have plenty of powerful wifi transmitters, for example??
When chosing drones, reliablity comes first. Uncontrolled drones is dangerous. All other characteristics come second, e.g. photo/video, 3 axis gimbal, 4K/1080p, camera shaking and etc. Mavic Air does not improve on the transmssion technology but giving out hugh improvements on photo/video shooting quality. DJI is making fun of itself.
2018-2-9
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

Yep, I did.

I loved my Spark and it provided me great fun, but I'm a sucker for new tech, so I sold it to a friend (he got a KILLER deal) and purchased the Mavic Air Fly More Combo in Arctic White.  I was in the majority of folks who had a great experience with the Spark with very few problems.  So why did I say goodbye to Sparky?

• As I mentioned, I'm a sucker for new tech
  • One thing that I did not like about the Spark was when it Sport mode, you really saw the impacts of the gimbal.  That causes the need to edit those pieces out of a video, sometimes at inopportune times.
  • A little longer flight time than the Spark
  • Sport Mode Speed, Spark is 31 mph and the Mavic Air is 42 mph - after flying it I DO appreciate that difference
  • Even SMALLER than the Spark.  I'm so impressed that in the little shoulder bag that comes with the fly more combo, I can carry my Mavic Air with a battery, 3 additional batteries and the controller....pretty amazing, and there is actually a side pouch for my Crystal Sky

I was always impressed with the video quality of my Spark, so jumping up to the 4k wasn't a significant factor (for me), but I'm sure it will be nice.

I like all the extra sensors, but that is not a major factor as I did just fine with the Spark.

In my maiden flight yesterday with the Mavic Air, I was impressed.  The usual DJI stability was there (as expected at this point), I encountered zero problems with wifi or signal out to at least 1,500 feet.

I did NOT tell my wife of my plans.  On the day I received my Mavic Air combo, she was busy working on a coding project in the evening so I took my box out to the kitchen to do all the requisite updating and she unexpectedly came out after a while...."Oh...is that your Spark?"  I could not lie and told her no, it was a new drone.  At first she was not happy and I thought I was in deep doodoo, but then I explained I sold my Spark to our friend, and she was ok with that.  She just didn't want me "collecting drones".  Keep in mind, this is my absolutely wonderful wife who bought me a Phantom 4 Pro for my birthday just over a month ago.  Which by the way, is totally awesome!

Anyway, I'll still be checking in with this forum, in general I like the community, but will be spending more time in the Mavic Air and Phantom forums (and Crystal Sky).

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

2018-2-9
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
United States

Ricky Aerial Photography Posted at 2018-2-9 19:03
I further predict that Mavic Air may be a marketing disaster for DJI. Wifi drones are unreliable (under some unfortunate conditions). Who would pay $999 for a drone that may suddenly disconnect when is flying over areas of farm houses that have plenty of powerful wifi transmitters, for example??
When chosing drones, reliablity comes first. Uncontrolled drones is dangerous. All other characteristics come second, e.g. photo/video, 3 axis gimbal, 4K/1080p, camera shaking and etc. Mavic Air does not improve on the transmssion technology but giving out hugh improvements on photo/video shooting quality. DJI is making fun of itself.

Well you are entitled to your opinion Ricky Aerial, but I believe there are far more people who don't have a problem than do.

I loved my Spark and had very few problems.  You need to understand the technology and fly accordingly.  If someone has unrealistic expectations, they probably will not be met.

My Spark met my expectations and performed beyond what I had hoped for, and so far my Mavic Air (only 1 flight) is doing the same.

I am not afraid, I understand the technology, and I fly in environments which support the best possible outcome.

Maybe I'll run across something someday beyond my control and have a bad experience, but so far, so good.

Everyone's mileage may vary of course.

Peace...

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-2-9
Use props
Mr Sparkle
lvl.4
Australia

I will never sell the Spark even after I bought another drone. The Spark is the only real drone that you can fly without people pointing their fingers at you. A lot of people are paranoid about drones - being able to fly your drone is better than any high tech specs. The Air after it's unfolded and flying looks like your regular drone and it's loud. I read a news article of complaint from a neighbour when a journalist was flying it in his backyard for a review. The Spark however is treated like a toy because lot's of $30 toy drones look like it, no one will bother you when you are flying it.
2018-2-9
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
United States

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2018-2-9 19:46
Well you are entitled to your opinion Ricky Aerial, but I believe there are far more people who don't have a problem than do.

I loved my Spark and had very few problems.  You need to understand the technology and fly accordingly.  If someone has unrealistic expectations, they probably will not be met.

It is pretty annoying if you are in a CE country versus an FCC country.  I purchased my spark at the end of last summer and traveled to Europe shortly after.  I was surprised at how short the range actually was.  I could fly on 2.4 ghz and get better range, but the lag was seriously terrible at that time.  

While more range would be nice, I think the capability of the mavic air should be plenty robust for most people that are disappointed in the spark's range.  

I have managed out to close to a mile on my tanker ship chase, and then out in the country was able to get to 1.4 miles using some $10 signal reflectors off of amazon.  To be able to fly out that far with a drone the size of the spark is impressive, regardless of what larger ones are able to do.  
2018-2-10
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-2-10 00:00
It is pretty annoying if you are in a CE country versus an FCC country.  I purchased my spark at the end of last summer and traveled to Europe shortly after.  I was surprised at how short the range actually was.  I could fly on 2.4 ghz and get better range, but the lag was seriously terrible at that time.  

While more range would be nice, I think the capability of the mavic air should be plenty robust for most people that are disappointed in the spark's range.  

Yep, I believe a WiFi may be a good option in FCC countries, but the moment you are forced to fly under the CE regulations (and with a phone that can't use the 5,8GHz band) .... you change your mind pretty fast. Another factor for me is DJIs lazy attitude towards repairing the OTG on android. If it was another nice to have function I would understand that they have a different priorities but it isn't. It's crucially important for EU users that want to have a usable way to fly the Spark and their attitude toward this problem is dissuading me from buing anything else from them, especially another WiFi drone ....
2018-2-10
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Nah, spark is good enough for me :-) I can fly in city parks and people think its a toy. The slightly bigger size and louder noise keep me away from the mavic air, I also don't like the camera that much. Bigger files with distortion and slightly better quality. For more secluded areas I have the pro. All good, fly both regularly. If I didn't have any drone I'd consider the mavic air. Next drone is self built racing drone and maybe somewhere down then road something with then quality of a phantom/inspire.

Sorry to hear you sunk your drones. Hopefully you can get'em back.
2018-2-10
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

SkyBug2 Posted at 2018-2-9 09:06

Mine too ;)
2018-2-10
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Since I wanna keep one spark, anyway, I can't get an Air, right now.
Unless I would use two devices excusively for Spark or but not and Air.
Till now, I need to wait that the actual Go4 is supporting OTG for Spark.
Just saying, DJI, I had the Air Combo already in hand. But not being able to use one device for both is a deal breaker! For me, right now
Aside that there is still a Spark in my possession, which has sometimes a faulty, shaky gimbal and need to get repaired under warranty, first!
2018-2-11
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-2-10 00:00
It is pretty annoying if you are in a CE country versus an FCC country.  I purchased my spark at the end of last summer and traveled to Europe shortly after.  I was surprised at how short the range actually was.  I could fly on 2.4 ghz and get better range, but the lag was seriously terrible at that time.  

Yes, I agree with you!

I cannot speak to situation outside the US, but certainly if you are in the US, you can take the Spark well past VLOS.

You mentioned the 1.4 miles you were able to attain with the Spark, I was also able to get get that.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much more anyone could get out of the Spark due to the battery usage.  I also had my longest flight (1.45 miles) and when  ol' Sparky landed I had 9% battery left, which is a bit of a no-no.

Cheers and have fun...

Todd in Chicago
2018-2-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules