3699 74 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

... you just have to be a SCUBA diver in Lake Ontario to get it. Here's where you can find it (more or less).
2018-02-08 16.19.59.png

I was out flying over the lake today near Hamilton, Ontario when the wind picked up strength... a lot. The poor little drone just couldn't fly hard enough to fight the wind (regular or sport mode) and slowly the batteries just faded... and crash. RIP little Air. I'm glad at least for the cache in the app, so I have some low res versions of stuff as memory.

Respect the wind warnings.

Time to order a new one. :-)

2018-2-8
Use props
Soloflight79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546138 ft
United States

You should share the video or pictures start a #dronefundme LOL no worries i just ordered a new one after sending mine in for repairs just the thought of having a repaired one was killing me...so ill have 2 lol and my Pro
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that. Hard lesson to learn but at least you're getting another one.
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Just don't tell my wife.
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I'm bummed that the cached video doesn't include it plummeting to its watery death. That would have been a great addition to my "Sean crashes into things" video collection.
2018-2-8
Use props
Soloflight79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546138 ft
United States

Ha Aint that the truth I was able to get one by her, not sure how im getting 2...I won a contest or drawing I think or DJI accidentally sent me 2 lol hmmm might work
2018-2-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am very sorry to see this short life of a brand new and great device but I truly admire your attitude in handling the incident!
P.S. I won't tell her ;-)
2018-2-8
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's $800! Sorry for your drone.
2018-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Sean that’s a tough break, sorry to here it, hopefully your back in the air soon.
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Soloflight79 Posted at 2018-2-8 14:50
Ha Aint that the truth I was able to get one by her, not sure how im getting 2...I won a contest or drawing I think or DJI accidentally sent me 2 lol hmmm might work

Benefit of owning my own business. :-)
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-8 14:53
I am very sorry to see this short life of a brand new and great device but I truly admire your attitude in handling the incident!
P.S. I won't tell her ;-)

Being angry at the wind has rarely been known to help, so just gotta laugh about it. :-)
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

The only thing I'm annoyed about is that DJI GO wouldn't allow me to cancel the auto-landing and RTH. If it had let me, I could have landed here.

[img][/img]
2018-2-8
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-8 16:17
The only thing I'm annoyed about is that DJI GO wouldn't allow me to cancel the auto-landing and RTH. If it had let me, I could have landed here.

[view_image][/img]

but there was a Youtube video somewhere here where this guy almost lost it in the river . He was flying against the wind during the fly back and didn't have enough juice to make it back,  but he managed to cancel the RTH  and land it on a river bank and retrieved the drone later.  why couldn't you cancel the RTH ?  
2018-2-8
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I normally don't feel bad for people that fly over the water and lose their drone -- but I feel bad for you because you actually owned it. Sorry for your loss .
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-8 19:00
but there was a Youtube video somewhere here where this guy almost lost it in the river . He was flying against the wind during the fly back and didn't have enough juice to make it back,  but he managed to cancel the RTH  and land it on a river bank and retrieved the drone later.  why couldn't you cancel the RTH ?

I really wish I knew why. I was mashing that X repeatedly. No response.
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

digitalintruder Posted at 2018-2-8 19:07
I normally don't feel bad for people that fly over the water and lose their drone -- but I feel bad for you because you actually owned it. Sorry for your loss .

As I have said before, Footage Favours the Brave. If you want to good stuff, you gotta take chances... and sometimes it doesn't work out. Is what it is.
2018-2-8
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-8 19:12
I really wish I knew why. I was mashing that X repeatedly. No response.

hmm.. that's unfortunate.. may be next time reboot the RC and see if re-establish the connection and respond (if you're feeling brave enough to try the same stunt again, that is )

Good luck with your next one.
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Dear. We are sincerely sorry for your drone.
If you want to figure out what happened to your drone, you can feel free to contact our support team via https://www.dji.com/support. Our colleague will help you set up a case and try to analyze the reason for the accident.
Again, sorry to hear the accident.
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-8 19:21
hmm.. that's unfortunate.. may be next time reboot the RC and see if re-establish the connection and respond (if you're feeling brave enough to try the same stunt again, that is  )

Good luck with your next one.

Oh, I'll totally be flying over water again. :-)
2018-2-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-8 19:27
Dear. We are sincerely sorry for your drone.
If you want to figure out what happened to your drone, you can feel free to contact our support team via https://www.dji.com/support. Our colleague will help you set up a case and try to analyze the reason for the accident.
Again, sorry to hear the accident.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Basically, if I could have flown straight (yellow line) I could have landed. The software, however, was trying to force me to RTH (white line) and I was fighting it the whole way trying to cancel it.

2018-2-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i always do return to home , like every single time , to return my drones to me then cancel and land myself.  i did this a few times with the air already, no issues cancelling.   that's a bummer

maybe you can just get the bird alone rather than a whole kit.
2018-2-8
Use props
The flying dodo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 508255 ft
Belgium

RIP Mavic air
2018-2-8
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-8 19:31
Oh, I'll totally be flying over water again. :-)

I've crashed, lost, damaged, splashed, destroyed, flew away and what not at least 20 birds (especially ccpms and acros) in my hobby career. It's just you doing it wrong if something like this never happened to you. It's nature of the hobby and if you cannot deal with it, I guess electric trains or something like that will suit you better. Glad there are some folks here understanding that.
2018-2-9
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Sad story and bad luck... just happy for you that you can afford a new one and not let that accident discourage you from flying!
2018-2-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-8 16:17
The only thing I'm annoyed about is that DJI GO wouldn't allow me to cancel the auto-landing and RTH. If it had let me, I could have landed here.

[view_image][/img]

Great shot, but sad to read about this.
Try start against the wind, so getting back won't be an issue....
2018-2-9
Use props
escore
lvl.4
Flight distance : 775568 ft
  • >>>
Finland

This make me think that I should activate the DJI Care Refresh
2018-2-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your secret is safe with me https://forum44.djicdn.com/static/image/smiley/emoji/20_2x.gif
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-9 04:06
Great shot, but sad to read about this.
Try start against the wind, so getting back won't be an issue....

I’ll definitely be doing that next time.
2018-2-9
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
Italy

R.I.P. Little Air!! Sorry for that.
Never push flighs that far or experience flight situations not tested before. DJI SW is very complex and not knowing how to behave in emergency situations could led to crash or loose your little expensive toy.
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Mars5150 Posted at 2018-2-9 05:42
R.I.P. Little Air!! Sorry for that.
Never push flighs that far or experience flight situations not tested before. DJI SW is very complex and not knowing how to behave in emergency situations could led to crash or loose your little expensive toy.

I’m fairly confident that if RTH would have cancelled like I tried. I could have landed safely. Not sure why it wouldn’t.
2018-2-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-9 05:33
I’ll definitely be doing that next time.

Not always possible, but I tried to do it like that.
2018-2-9
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-9 05:48
I’m fairly confident that if RTH would have cancelled like I tried. I could have landed safely. Not sure why it wouldn’t.

I think we should investigate this case further.
2018-2-9
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Next time, buy the Mavic Pro. Would have made it back the first time.
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-2-9 06:19
I think we should investigate this case further.

What do you need to do so?
2018-2-9
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

Any idea how fast was the wind? in km/h or something?
I have flown my Mavic Pro in really scary strong wind (where I had to use sport mode), I am now carrying a small wind meter to take notes how different speed of wind feel.
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

eried Posted at 2018-2-9 06:53

I wouldn't know where to look for that. Prior to this unplanned watery landing, it seemed to be flying upwind just fine.
2018-2-9
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-9 06:55
I wouldn't know where to look for that. Prior to this unplanned watery landing, it seemed to be flying upwind just fine.

Maybe exact date,time and position to look up for weather data?
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

eried Posted at 2018-2-9 06:53
I have flown my Mavic Pro in really scary strong wind (where I had to use sport mode), I am now carrying a small wind meter to take notes how different speed of wind feel.

When it was RTH, the horizontal speed of the drone was between 2 and 6m/s. (for whatever that's worth)
2018-2-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

eried Posted at 2018-2-9 06:57
Maybe exact date,time and position to look up for weather data?

Good Idea... found it.

At the Hamilton weather station (so no idea if this is accurate for where I was exactly), at the time of the crash, 22km/h... which was actually slower than what I was flying in a little earlier (30-32).
2018-2-9
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-2-9 07:05
Good Idea... found it.

At the Hamilton weather station (so no idea if this is accurate for where I was exactly), at the time of the crash, 22km/h... which was actually slower than what I was flying in a little earlier (30-32).

That just gets even more weird... the specs state that the Mavic Air is resistant to wind up to 38 km/h...
2018-2-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules