Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Registering my Drone
11285 27 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anahoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34757 ft

United States

Do i need to or have to register my p3.
2018-2-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If it is brand new then yes. But if it is a used aircraft, then no, it has already been registered by the previous owner and you cannot do it again.
2018-2-8
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

The registration for drones has become mandatory once again, if you registered your drone before and did not request  your $5 dollars back your Ok. However, any aircraft that is RC controlled and is in the weight range must be registered the new registration became effective Mid Dec 2017. Please see the FAA.gov site do a search on drone registration.
2018-2-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RMJovo Posted at 2018-2-8 17:18
The registration for drones has become mandatory once again, if you registered your drone before and did not request  your $5 dollars back your Ok. However, any aircraft that is RC controlled and is in the weight range must be registered the new registration became effective Mid Dec 2017. Please see the FAA.gov site do a search on drone registration.

Sorry, I was referring to registration with DJI, which is another issue altogether.
2018-2-8
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a used P3S and will be acquiring a brand new one. What is the process to register it if the app is already set up and being used with the used one?
2018-2-8
Use props
Anahoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34757 ft

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-8 16:56
If it is brand new then yes. But if it is a used aircraft, then no, it has already been registered by the previous owner and you cannot do it again.

What if you dont know if the previous owner registered it.Than what.
2018-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anahoo Posted at 2018-2-8 18:03
What if you dont know if the previous owner registered it.Than what.

DJI's computer will know.
If the drone needs to be activated (the term for DJI registration) the app will let you know.
2018-2-8
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-8 17:22
Sorry, I was referring to registration with DJI, which is another issue altogether.

Sorry I just assumed since he was in the US he was referring to needing to register with the FAA,  I never even considered he may be talking about with DJI’s Registration. Good point, I think both points are now covered. Take Care and Fly Safe
2018-2-8
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-8 18:15
DJI's computer will know.
If the drone needs to be activated (the term for DJI registration) the app will let you know.

So if I use the app that has already been working with the used one I have, and I connect to the new one, it will know it has not been "activated" even if I am no longer connected to the Internet? If so, I am assuming it is looking for something on the drone that tells it has not been activated yet. Does it then have you disconnect from the drone and reconnect the Internet to finish the activation?   
2018-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-2-8 18:51
So if I use the app that has already been working with the used one I have, and I connect to the new one, it will know it has not been "activated" even if I am no longer connected to the Internet? If so, I am assuming it is looking for something on the drone that tells it has not been activated yet. Does it then have you disconnect from the drone and reconnect the Internet to finish the activation?

You would have to have wifi connection to the internet from your phone or tablet.
If your drone is not activated, it won't fly until it is activated.
If it has previously been activated, it will fly without any further messing around and without any internet connection.
2018-2-8
Use props
Brysen
lvl.1
United States

I have been doing a ton of research on registration nd can not figure out if I am registered.
I got a P3S about 1 year ago and did the whole thing through DJi, but I have never once done anything threw the FAA’s website.
Do I need to do something with the FAA? And even though I have looked forever, I can only find things for either $25, $50 or a part 107 which cost $200.i can not find the $5 option
I just want to fly as a hobby/recreation purposes.
2018-7-7
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Turkey

Create an Account on DJI and Log in via Go App on your mobile during warm up yourRC/AC System.
2018-7-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Brysen Posted at 2018-7-7 18:49
I have been doing a ton of research on registration nd can not figure out if I am registered.
I got a P3S about 1 year ago and did the whole thing through DJi, but I have never once done anything threw the FAA’s website.
Do I need to do something with the FAA? And even though I have looked forever, I can only find things for either $25, $50 or a part 107 which cost $200.i can not find the $5 optionI just want to fly as a hobby/recreation purposes.

No, you're not registered with FAA.  Yes, you must register with FAA.

https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/register

2018-7-8
Use props
Brysen
lvl.1
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-8 02:22
No, you're not registered with FAA.  Yes, you must register with FAA.

https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/register

Ok I have registered with the FAA. Do they send me a card to put on the drone, or do I have to do that myself? Thanks for the help.
2018-7-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

They won't send you anything.  You can print the card yourself.  You can laminate it if you want or just put some clear tape over it like I did.  The most important thing is you need to mark all your drones with the number.  There could potentially be a big fine if you don't do that.  Good luck.  
2018-7-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

MarcoGenioYT Posted at 2018-7-8 09:58
my friend was wondering this as swell

The UK rules may be different.  
2018-7-8
Use props
Timg688
New

How old are you 13 or older yes you do
2018-7-8
Use props
Timg688
New

2018-7-8
Use props
Timg688
New

2018-7-8
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229885 ft
United States

Brysen Posted at 2018-7-8 09:07
Ok I have registered with the FAA. Do they send me a card to put on the drone, or do I have to do that myself? Thanks for the help.

They won't send anything. They'll e-mail you a card and ask you to write the alpha-numeric registration on your drone. I printed mine on a label maker to stay neat and printed the small wallet-sized card on cardstock paper and put it in my drone box.

Once you sign up, you'll need to add your drone under the UAS box in the top left and then click the blue button in the top right "add UAS and follow the prompts, etc. After the "add UAS" part it's pretty simple from there. You won't be finished until you pay $5.
2018-8-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-19 07:59
They won't send anything. They'll e-mail you a card and ask you to write the alpha-numeric registration on your drone. I printed mine on a label maker to stay neat and printed the small wallet-sized card on cardstock paper and put it in my drone box.

Once you sign up, you'll need to add your drone under the UAS box in the top left and then click the blue button in the top right "add UAS and follow the prompts, etc. After the "add UAS" part it's pretty simple from there. You won't be finished until you pay $5.

Sounds like you might be referring to Part 107 UAS registration.  For hobbyists, you register yourself once, pay $5 once, then add the FA number to all twenty-five of your models or however many you might have.
2018-8-19
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229885 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-19 09:05
Sounds like you might be referring to Part 107 UAS registration.  For hobbyists, you register yourself once, pay $5 once, then add the FA number to all twenty-five of your models or however many you might have.

Uh oh, so I did it wrong?
Care to educate? I definitely did part 107...
2018-8-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Okay so you meant to register as a hobbyist?  And you accidentally registered under 107?  It's not all your fault due to the misleading description under Sec 336 - "I need to register my small unmanned aircraft to fly with an aero-modeling club..."  This is not worded correctly and it confuses many.  To add to the confusion, FAA includes the word "recreation" under their Part 107 registration heading, which is not technically incorrect, but it certainly leads to added confusion since the word "recreation" is not in the Sec 336 heading.   It's almost as if FAA is trying to be deliberately confusing.  

Bottom line is:

Hobbyists should register under Sec 336.  It's $5.  They only do it once - it's good for three years.  They must adhere that particular registration number on each of their aircraft, regardless of the number of models they own.

Licensed UAS (i.e. Part 107) pilots must register each of their UAS aircraft and have to pay $5 for each registration.  Also good for three years.  Each aircraft owned by a Part 107 operator will have a unique FA number and will be specifically and independently registered.

But, if a hobbyist accidentally/mistakenly registered under Part 107, he may use that FA number as his hobbyist registration number.  This is what FAA told somebody else who also made the error, according to a thread I read.  I suspect there are a lot of people making this mistake.

The important thing is, your aircraft is marked with an FA number.  

2018-8-19
Use props
Badowen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1938461 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-8 16:56

Yes you can register a drone that was previously registered on the FAA website as long as seller cancels registeration for they drone on there account at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/home
2020-3-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Badowen Posted at 3-25 15:59
Yes you can register a drone that was previously registered on the FAA website as long as seller cancels registeration for they drone on there account at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/home

Recreational flyers in the USA do not register their drones.
They register themselves as drone flyers and teh FAA has no idea how many drones they own or any details of their drones.
2020-3-25
Use props
Badowen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1938461 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-25 16:29
Recreational flyers in the USA do not register their drones.
They register themselves as drone flyers and teh FAA has no idea how many drones they own or any details of their drones.

Yes they do have to register every drone individually, its $5.00 per drone and get a certificate of use and a special registration flight number you have to mark your drone with somehow. Every drone has to have its own registration, or you can face criminal and civil charges/ aka fines against you.
2020-4-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Badowen Posted at 4-8 21:59
Yes they do have to register every drone individually, its $5.00 per drone and get a certificate of use and a special registration flight number you have to mark your drone with somehow. Every drone has to have its own registration, or you can face criminal and civil charges/ aka fines against you.

No .. you are the one that is wrong.
Read what I wrote again and then check with the FAA website to confirm.
Make sure you understand the difference between registration for commercial use and recreational, because that's what has you confused.

2020-4-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Labroides is correct.  The language of the FAA site regarding Recreational Flyers is still horribly confusing and unnecessarily so.  Many hobbyists are misled by this, but it's not their fault - it's FAA's fault.  Hobbyists, referred to as Recreational Flyers, register themselves for $5, they are assigned one FA number and they adhere that same FA number to all ten thousand of their drones.  Apparently, FAA considers slapping the FA number on a second or third drone means it's registered.  But it's really not since nobody knows it exists except you.  Good luck.  
2020-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules