Mavic Air and microSD card... What were they thinking??
12Next >
14898 52 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parisi2274
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

So I have been playing around with Mavic Air all day today getting used to it and what not and when I got home from work I went to install the 64gb SD card I purchased and when I opened the back panel where the slot was and tried to insert it I noticed a few things that made me scratch my head...

1. Why would you need to insert the card upside down for it to fit in the slot?  Seems like an odd design choice, as I could not get it to fit with the label side up on the SD card.

2. How is any normal human being going to be able to press the card into position?  I had to get out a pair of tweezers and use the rubber tip I have on them to push the card down until it clicked into place.  Once it was in place, forget about trying to get it out with your fingers... you'll need something tiny to press on it to pop it out if you need to.

I assume that once the card is in, its not meant to be removed?  Are you able to grab the photos off the card via that USB plug to its left?  Or do you have to keep removing the card to get the photos off of it?  

Thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

LOL....

You are absolutely right on both counts!  It was easier to install on the Spark, but was still upside down.  Not sure on on P4P.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

P.S.  DJI will be selling a brand set of tweezers for $27.95 in the accessories section.  <sorry folks...couldn't help myself>
2018-2-8
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

Yes, can use USB for transfer, that's the only purpose for that USB port I think.. Can't charge thru it
2018-2-8
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I think it's a DJI legacy.   I have a P3S, and the USB card is installed on top of the camera  housing.    You install it backwards, with the label facing away from you.   Opposite of what you think.

Perhaps some DJI engineer has a weird sense of humor?

Sid
2018-2-8
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

There is a sd card symbol next to the port showing the orientation. Like every other device. Use your finger nail.
2018-2-8
Use props
rookpsu12
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I agree.  I laughed initially when I had to pull it out for the first time (because it was near impossible for my fat fingers) but then I realized they likely intended most to just use the USB.
2018-2-8
Use props
Parisi2274
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-2-8 19:47
There is a sd card symbol next to the port showing the orientation. Like every other device. Use your finger nail.

Yeah, and what if you have no fingernails, like me, cause I bite mine?  What then?  
2018-2-8
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Literally anything that works. Which is a lot of things.
2018-2-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

Parisi2274 Posted at 2018-2-8 19:52
Yeah, and what if you have no fingernails, like me, cause I bite mine?  What then?

use your toe nail. bet you dont bite them.

i admit it's not easy to put in or get out but after a few times it gets better even with a short thumbnail.

i will probably use the usb c port more and more.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans3640571b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1122989 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I agree with you all , it was ok on the mavic pro, as there was more space and the plastic cover was not so much on the way, but with the air especially to remove the sd it is ridiculous.. forget about it!
So i use the usb-c port which is very fast but i need to have the air on and remove the gimbal cover every time.
2018-2-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't forget these are made in China and the Chinese have much smaller fingers that us larger (read over weight) Westerners . Also it goes in upside down because China is the other side of the globe and electricity flows in the opposite direction
2018-2-8
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
United Kingdom

I have small fingers and can't reach the SD card in a normal way. I don't think i will remove it normally but the USB transfer speed is so slow
2018-2-9
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

I didn't find it hard to get the card in - once I realised it went in upside down - but getting it out is a nightmare. Getting it to click out is easy, grabbing it and removing it fully is a nightmare! I hope the USB-C port is as fast as a SD card adapter as its probably the way I'll have to use it. Should have got that 256GB card rather than the 128GB. I planned to have a few cards but now think I should just have one bit one!
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your feedback. I would forward this situation to our engineers.
2018-2-9
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

No problem here installing the SD card, and I have large fingers. The problem is getting it back out. My solution is to carry a pair of tweezers in the Mavic flight case. BTW, I give the Polar Pro hard case for the Mavic a thumbs up. And no, I'm not affiliated with the company in any way.
2018-2-9
Use props
Locationscout_Bavaria
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62201 ft
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-8 23:52
Don't forget these are made in China and the Chinese have much smaller fingers that us larger (read over weight) Westerners . Also it goes in upside down because China is the other side of the globe and electricity flows in the opposite direction

Do you say all Chinese are same sized? Thats really redneck...
2018-2-9
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-9 00:24
I didn't find it hard to get the card in - once I realised it went in upside down - but getting it out is a nightmare. Getting it to click out is easy, grabbing it and removing it fully is a nightmare! I hope the USB-C port is as fast as a SD card adapter as its probably the way I'll have to use it. Should have got that 256GB card rather than the 128GB. I planned to have a few cards but now think I should just have one bit one!

does MA support 256GB card ?
2018-2-9
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-9 03:29
does MA support 256GB card ?

Fair point, I don't remember seeing anywhere the max capacity is listed. Only that it should be at least U1/C10 - although that to me suggests it wouldn't do 4k - which I found with my Transcend U1/C10 card. I currently have a Samsung U3 and it seems happy. Also odd DJI don't list the max capacity specs only cards that are "recommended".
2018-2-9
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-9 03:43
Fair point, I don't remember seeing anywhere the max capacity is listed. Only that it should be at least U1/C10 - although that to me suggests it wouldn't do 4k - which I found with my Transcend U1/C10 card. I currently have a Samsung U3 and it seems happy. Also odd DJI don't list the max capacity specs only cards that are "recommended".

I have a Samsung U3 128GB too.. works fine
2018-2-9
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

256gb works
2018-2-9
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You have to see it the other way.
If you can´t remember that fiddly process of inserting your card, you probably forgot to put it in. So this is a reminder to not forget your microSD.
I´m totally sure that was the engineers intention.

Fox

2018-2-9
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Never had any issue putting the SD card in, other than the cover was a bit of a faff. Saw the orientation picture and popped it in. Getting it out; now that I’ve not tried, as I’ve not yet had the weather to fly outside. However, as long as the eject mechanism isn’t as strong as the one on my Surface Pro tablet, which saw fit to ping my SD card clean across the living room and to this day I’ve never found it, I’ll be happy.
2018-2-9
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

I did a quick test and can confirm that electrons will not fall out of SD card even if oriented in a way counter-intuitive to some users.
2018-2-9
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

I never had an issue installing the SD card on or taking it out. I'm so used with Hero 6's SD card orientation so it's nothing new.
2018-2-9
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wyke Posted at 2018-2-9 04:06
However, as long as the eject mechanism isn’t as strong as the one on my Surface Pro tablet, which saw fit to ping my SD card clean across the living room and to this day I’ve never found it, I’ll be happy.

Given my experience with MicroSD, I'm gonna put money on it you send it across the room
2018-2-9
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Glad it was not just me who found that extremely fiddly , I use the SD card adapter to push it back in, getting it out a small pair of tweezers.. even getting the flap down was a bit of a challenge
2018-2-9
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

I use a pen to press the cards down
2018-2-9
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-9 04:39
I did a quick test and can confirm that electrons will not fall out of SD card even if oriented in a way counter-intuitive to some users.

LOL thanks for checking
2018-2-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

LOL..Yes, I too must agree with everything your saying.  I just got my Mavic Air up and running this morning (maiden flight).  Charged everything last night and installed the newly bought micro-SD card to support the 4K Vide at 100Mbps.  I too had a tough time getting that card in there.  I also own the DJI Spark and at least its' easier to get at.  The cover on the back of the Mavic Air also took a little bit of prying to get open.  Again, seems smoother/easier on the SPARK.  And why you insert the micro-SD upside down struck me as strange as well.  But again, because they did it on the SPARK I was not suprised.  At least their consistent.  Hopefully, these 'small' things continue to be improved upon as newer models are released.  At least the major things are working so I look at it that way.  
2018-2-9
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-2-9 11:26
LOL..Yes, I too must agree with everything your saying.  I just got my Mavic Air up and running this morning (maiden flight).  Charged everything last night and installed the newly bought micro-SD card to support the 4K Vide at 100Mbps.  I too had a tough time getting that card in there.  I also own the DJI Spark and at least its' easier to get at.  The cover on the back of the Mavic Air also took a little bit of prying to get open.  Again, seems smoother/easier on the SPARK.  And why you insert the micro-SD upside down struck me as strange as well.  But again, because they did it on the SPARK I was not suprised.  At least their consistent.  Hopefully, these 'small' things continue to be improved upon as newer models are released.  At least the major things are working so I look at it that way.

I think Spark was designed with simplicity in mind and aimed at beginner consumers so inserting SD is very easy. Mavic Air is more like a step up so you need more pro skills to use it. After a couple of hundreds of insertions/ejections I am sure you guys will get better at that skill and do it like pros in a blink of the eye. Practice makes perfect!
2018-2-9
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

I had more troubles in the Air as on the Spark. But I managed it with my bare hands anyhow. And I have hand size 11/12 and big fingers.
The card slot is not made for using daily.
2018-2-9
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

This is a dire situation! But behold: The swiss foresaw this problems years ago and created a ingenious tool called a Swiss Army Knife!

2018-2-9
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2018-2-8 19:12
LOL....

You are absolutely right on both counts!  It was easier to install on the Spark, but was still upside down.  Not sure on on P4P.

It's upside down in the P4P as well.

I have a Spark, Mavic Pro and a P4P, all are upside down. I always pop them out, stick them into an adapter and copy the files from them. I use the USB-C cable on the Air, my fat fingers aren't able to get to the SD card.
2018-2-9
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-9 12:24
It's upside down in the P4P as well.

I have a Spark, Mavic Pro and a P4P, all are upside down. I always pop them out, stick them into an adapter and copy the files from them. I use the USB-C cable on the Air, my fat fingers aren't able to get to the SD card.

I suspect you might get Australian model.
2018-2-9
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Locationscout_Bavaria Posted at 2018-2-9 03:13
Do you say all Chinese are same sized? Thats really redneck...

Redneck. We don't have those in the UK
2018-2-9
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

i've been to china and my girlfriend is chinese.  they are all the same size, small!   i was in a cold area and decided to buy a jacket.  no way, i am medium here but there, even the 4xl couldn't zip up.  
2018-2-9
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

AIister Posted at 2018-2-9 13:46
i've been to china and my girlfriend is chinese.  they are all the same size, small!   i was in a cold area and decided to buy a jacket.  no way, i am medium here but there, even the 4xl couldn't zip up.

It all depends on what you call small. Small man
2018-2-9
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

You cannot blame DJI for that.

I am 50 and had bitten my nails up to my knuckles nearly until I was in my 40's. They looked disgusting and hurt and were useless.

All of a sudden, overnight I stopped. Now I have great nails despite the potential damage I did.

I don't know how I ever did without them.

Man up and stop biting them. If I can do it, anyone can.
2018-2-9
Use props
Trehanek
New

Hong Kong

感谢您的反馈,我们在设计上已尽最大可能做了改善。一般情况用手指甲可以推动SD卡使其弹出,手指粗且没有指甲的情况下可尝试借助外部工具,比如镊子、硬币。谢谢。
2018-2-12
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

iceman#1 Posted at 2018-2-9 11:51
I had more troubles in the Air as on the Spark. But I managed it with my bare hands anyhow. And I have hand size 11/12 and big fingers.
The card slot is not made for using daily.

I've always wondered/thought that about MicroSD. Doesn't seem beefy enough to suggest you should constantly be inserting and removing the card from it. Guess thats why they have the USB-C.
Shame they didn't think to make the USB-C card reader part self powered from the USB-C itself and instead have to have the drone on.  Would have been far better to have the card reader self powered so you can charge the battery (on the seperate charger) at the same time as taking off your images off the drone. Guess the wiring involved was too much like hard work (to make sure you cant have the drone powered up from the battery and from the USB-C at the same time) and probably required a bit more space.
2018-2-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules