How to format microSD card for Mavic Air?
55369 29 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ajbezark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United States

I've purchased a lovely new (and tiny!) A1 microSD card for the Air.
Do I need to format it before using in the Air?
What's the best format to use? FAT32?
2018-2-8
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

you have the option to format the SD card in the app itself, once you connect to the MA.
2018-2-8
Use props
ajbezark
lvl.1
United States

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-8 20:13
you have the option to format the SD card in the app itself, once you connect to the MA.

Thanks. Where in the app do I do that?
2018-2-8
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

ajbezark Posted at 2018-2-8 21:00
Thanks. Where in the app do I do that?

I don't have the MA with me, so can't screenshot. But this video should help

2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Please follow the advice above and you can format the SD card by entering the camera setting. It is similar to Mavic pro. Please inform us if you need help. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-9
Use props
ajbezark
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-9 01:08
Hi, there. Please follow the advice above and you can format the SD card by entering the camera setting. It is similar to Mavic pro. Please inform us if you need help. Thanks for your support.

Great! Thanks, all.
2018-2-9
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-8 20:13
you have the option to format the SD card in the app itself, once you connect to the MA.

From his question he knows that. I think he is asking if there is another way like on his PC/Mac
2018-2-10
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Use the Mavic air to format the SD card, The option is in the DJI GO camera settings menu
2018-2-10
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

I've owned cameras for decades, and I usually try to format and name my memory cards on my PC or Mac. The reason being, sometimes, when you initially format memory cards on a device, they have a hard time being seen on a Mac or PC when you plug them in. Is there a particular format that the Mavic Air prefers?  FAT32? exFAT? NTFS? Some other format?
2018-2-10
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

Amarand Posted at 2018-2-10 14:55
I've owned cameras for decades, and I usually try to format and name my memory cards on my PC or Mac. The reason being, sometimes, when you initially format memory cards on a device, they have a hard time being seen on a Mac or PC when you plug them in. Is there a particular format that the Mavic Air prefers?  FAT32? exFAT? NTFS? Some other format?

Mavic Air formats the cards to exFAT, so I suppose that's the preferred format
2018-2-10
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

CarloUK Posted at 2018-2-10 12:02
From his question he knows that. I think he is asking if there is another way like on his PC/Mac

if you would've read the very next post you can see that he didn't know it.  as long as it's in exFAT format it should be ok, shouldn't matter what device/OS was used to format
2018-2-10
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yes i would like to format on my mac after importing. Saves powering the drone and RC up just to reformat. Loosing valuable battery power
2018-2-11
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-10 17:34
Mavic Air formats the cards to exFAT, so I suppose that's the preferred format

Thank you for this information.  I strongly prefer to format my cards in my desktop computer to avoid the "card not formatted" error that frequently occurs with device-formatted cards.  I have a drawer with hundreds of sad little cards of various sizes and shapes, going wa-a-a-ay back and I've formatted all of them on my PC/Mac without any issues.  Hopefully I can say the same with the Mavic Air.
2018-2-11
Use props
lucas1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93996 ft
Canada

When I format my 32gb sandisk extreme plus, it formats it as fat32 and cannot be read on my mac!
2018-2-24
Use props
Earth Wonder
New
New Zealand

lucas1 Posted at 2018-2-24 18:16
When I format my 32gb sandisk extreme plus, it formats it as fat32 and cannot be read on my mac!

I had the same issue with the 128GB SD card not readable on both Mac and Windows after formatting in the DJI Go App.
Here's the process I used to fix it - recovering my data and reformating the SD card from the Mac OSX.

Backup:
1. Plugin Mavic Air to computer via USB-C cable
2. Find the DCIM folder with the images/video
3. Copy the media data to local computer disk
4. Eject the disks (safely remove)
5. Unplug the drone from the computer

Reformat SD card on computer:
1. Take out the SD card from the head of the drone
2. Plug it into the computer via the card adapter.
3. Format the disk in OSX  "Disk Utility" > "Erase"
4. Important: choose file system type of "ExFat"
5. Give the SD card a label, like "MavicAirSD1"
6. Done!

After this, the card was readable in all my devices.
2018-3-20
Use props
fans589cba4b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

Right but then when you format in the drone it won’t read on my iMac.
2018-6-12
Use props
fans589cba4b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

Right but then when you format in the drone it won’t read on my iMac.
2018-6-12
Use props
GeorgeGreek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636050 ft
  • >>>

FORMATTING MICRO SD CARD
2018-6-14
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans589cba4b Posted at 2018-6-12 04:31
Right but then when you format in the drone it won’t read on my iMac.

I've heard of people having this problem, but I am unable to recreate the problem on mine.  When i format the SD card in the Mavic Air, and then remove and put it in my Macbook Pro, I don't have any problems.  I can also take that SD card and put it in any one of my Windows machines.  

I hope you can get it sorted out so you can work with your SD.
2018-6-14
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

The specs do say "Supported File System: FAT32"

However fat32 comes with huge, huge drawbacks, for example the size one file can reach is a mere 4GB (if even). exFat would make a lot more sense.
Edit: This makes me doubt if the writespeed should be 100megabits or 100 megabytes! Sure, one is more likely than the other since I don't even know if theres a card for 100 MBytes... but still.
2018-12-9
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Whatever SD  card you select, FAT 32 shall limit your filesize to 4Gb which could be a problem for long 4k videos so ExFat is preferred for such requirements as lengthy 4k filming.

Just be careful where you purchase your SD cards though, as the cheapest is not always a wise choice Fake SD cards . Typical errors are the 'Slow SD Card' message.

GB (with a large 'B') is conventionally referring to Giga-Bytes but Gb (small b) is Giga bits. A Byte is  (16 aarg) 8 bits.
2018-12-10
Use props
Tooter Turtle
lvl.4
United States

If you put an unformatted card in the MA it will tell you to format it and should take you to format in the go app atleast that what happened when I first used my MA a year ago.
2018-12-10
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

Boffin Posted at 12-10 00:06
Whatever SD  card you select, FAT 32 shall limit your filesize to 4Gb which could be a problem for long 4k videos so ExFat is preferred for such requirements as lengthy 4k filming.

Just be careful where you purchase your SD cards though, as the cheapest is not always a wise choice Fake SD cards . Typical errors are the 'Slow SD Card' message.

Generally the rule of uppercase and lowercase B-Letters is true, however not everyone applies to these rules. Another good rule is: Stuff for internal transfer is often given in bytes, information on network transfer is often given in bytes.

I do believe that 1 byte is 8 bit tho, not 16.
2018-12-11
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Wannger88 Posted at 12-11 23:14
Generally the rule of uppercase and lowercase B-Letters is true, however not everyone applies to these rules. Another good rule is: Stuff for internal transfer is often given in bytes, information on network transfer is often given in bytes.

I do believe that 1 byte is 8 bit tho, not 16.

You are perfectly correct Wannger88. I was thinking in hexadecimal - Too much low level code writing - I must 'assemble' my thoughts (I fixed the original- thanks)  
2018-12-11
Use props
G-FOX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61581 ft
United Kingdom

Boffin Posted at 12-10 00:06

The 4GB file size limit of FAT32 isn't a major concern as the Mavic will just split your recording over multiple files.  Of course that does mean you have more than one file to deal with, but you don't lose anything - there's no break in recording between files (not even a dropped frame).  Yes, other file systems may be better for avoiding this situation, but if your PC/Mac is going to struggle to read anything else but FAT32 then don't worry about it.

Neil
2018-12-12
Use props
Wannger88
lvl.1

Switzerland

Boffin Posted at 12-11 23:33
You are perfectly correct Wannger88. I was thinking in hexadecimal - Too much low level code writing - I must 'assemble' my thoughts (I fixed the original- thanks)

Hehe no worries. I f-ed up as well, mentioning "bytes" twice.

Correction: Bytes for internal, bits for external (network) transfer.

Potentially offtopic: I noted sometimes very minor framedrops in recording eventho I have a recommended SD card with plents of speed. Might trying out to format it to exfat.

Maybe it was also just my PC (where I have it on HDD not SDD) not being able to handle so much data at once.
2018-12-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does it matter to even matter to format? What are the benefits of actually formatting it properly?
2019-4-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 4-18 04:49
Does it matter to even matter to format? What are the benefits of actually formatting it properly?

It basically clears the card and resets it to zero. If you have say a 32GB micro SD and on your previous flights used up 25GB with footage and stills and don't format, that card will now have only 7GB of storage space remaining which may not be enough for your next set of flights.

Always best practice to remove the card as soon as you get home from flying and import all of the files into your computer then put the card back in the drone and before you take off on your next flight simply format it in the drone which takes literally a few seconds then you'll have the whole storage space to work with and won't be in a position where you can no longer record to the sd card mid flight.
2019-4-18
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 4-18 04:49

Formatting the card regulatly is better than just deleting the pirctures as it help prevent file fragmentation. ( faster write )

https://www.digitalcameraworld.c ... ormat-a-memory-card
2019-4-18
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

fans589cba4b Posted at 2018-6-12 04:31
Right but then when you format in the drone it won’t read on my iMac.

I format mine for both my mavic air and mavic pro through the DJI go app and my imac reads them just fine. I use iphoto and imovie.
2019-4-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah but the card was Empty, 32GB Class-3 card and it says format recommended but I'm asking about the format type as I think it's wrong because I formatted it on the PC with default format when it was 16
2019-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules