What would happen to the drone should I hit the Return to Home Bu...
612 3 2018-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrohneMann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87415 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was doing a routine flight this evening and it went well and got some good shots. But at the end when the battery was low and it prompted me to use the Return to Home Feature (RTH).  I was not far from and pretty much at the home point and mistakenly hit the RTH bottom but was lucky enough to stop it from going up and way. I was wondering what would happen should I have not hit the button to stop it from going to the home point. I have flown DJI drones a lot but have always wondered what would happen if I hit the RTH button at the home point. Would it fly away and crash into the trees or would it fly to where it recorded the GPS Coordinates? I think I know it would not end well, but that goes without saying if it will recognize that you are at the home point or not (just for reference is that even a feature).

2018-2-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

lack of understanding the RTH system is the cause of many incidents.
RTH is the most important thing to learn for flying.

If your Phantom is less than 20 metres from the home point when you activate the RTH button, the Phantom will land where it is.
If beyond 20 metres, the Phantom will first climb to RTH height and then RTH.

Practising/experimenting with RTH is highly recommended.
2018-2-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

+1

There are a lot of variables with the RTH and some of them vary a bit depending on the particular Phantom you own.  It's really important to study the heck out of it so that you know everything about it and are never surprised out in the field.  Then you should practice everything about it in an large open field so you know it all by heart.

If you feel this is too much trouble and you don't want to be bothered, you may find yourself with a lost or badly damaged aircraft some day.  

2018-2-9
Use props
DrohneMann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87415 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-9 15:33
lack of understanding the RTH system is the cause of many incidents.
RTH is the most important thing to learn for flying.

I see what you mean and use it when I lose signal, but rather control and land it myself when I am able too. Having control of your quadcopter is really important and most of the time keep it in VLOS. Thanks for your opinion
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules