Air vs Spark footage?
4398 20 2018-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

Has anyone seen a youtube video of the spark footage vs the air?  I've been curious to see if there's a noticeable difference.

Thanks
2018-2-9
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Theres a huge difference. I have both drones and have always loved the Spark but the Mavic Air footage is better than both the Spark and the Mavic pro, I would go as far as saying as good as the P4
2018-2-9
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

Joshua Carlton Posted at 2018-2-9 19:41
Theres a huge difference. I have both drones and have always loved the Spark but the Mavic Air footage is better than both the Spark and the Mavic pro, I would go as far as saying as good as the P4

Do you have some shots of the spark vs the air you could share?
2018-2-10
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wreo Posted at 2018-2-10 01:08

Heres Spark footage I took.

Heres Mavic Air footage I took.
2018-2-10
Use props
Berg I Imagery
First Officer
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

Yes, I concur.  The Mavic Air footage is much sharper and more detailed, even at 1080P.   However, it also has 4k which is an order of magnitude better than the Spark's 1080P
2018-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It won’t be the camera that makes the difference it will be the photographer.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is not the following true about 4K:

1) It uses way more space on your SD Card and every thing else you transfer it to
2) Most people do not have 4K Screens on their Computers or other devices
3) Most TV's do not seem to play the 4k Video from the DJI Stuff
4)Most People do not have 4K Eyes
5) Most people I speak to cant see the difference between 4K and 1080p

I am sure I will be shot down in flames here now

Dennis UK
2018-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-10 10:16

1) It uses way more space on your SD Card and every thing else you transfer it to

You are right about it and actually most of the consumers still want a camera with more MP than the previous.  Even though they don't need it and will never see the difference and only get the drawbacks.
But still, the output of the Air is better than the Spark.
And right about every other feature it has.
Except for the price and maybe durability (I'm not sure how the foldable design will survive daily usage)
2018-2-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, as you can see on the specs, Spark has one format 1920×1080 30 fps in video resolution, Mavic Air has some options available. You can refer to the screenshot below, or visit this site for further info. GTScreenshot_20180212_155500.png
2018-2-11
Use props
JProcter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292671 ft
United Kingdom

1) It uses way more space on your SD Card and every thing else you transfer it to

Even if you don’t output in 4K you can always film in 4K and use the increased resolution for digital zoom, comes in handy if you’re try to pull off he vertigo effect.
2018-2-12
Use props
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

I flew the spark and the air yesterday, and I agree with the others who said the air footage is noticeably sharper. I’m not a big resolution freak either, but again the footage just looks a bit better. For most of the stuff I do the difference in quality would not be a deal breaker. But the FPS options and options 4K footage give you with cropping and doing ken burns within your frame could be a deal breaker depending on your project. Just so many more options with slo mo, cropping, cleaner video...
2018-2-12
Use props
SebastianShaw
lvl.1

Georgia

I'm sure you have watched the DJI Mavic Air vs Spark video quality difference in one video. But try to watch them in different videos, separately. You'll notice if the difference is big enough and if it's not - it will help you to save your budget
2018-5-8
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Not trying to flame you at all here. I think you are right about most PCs/Laptops not being 4k, but not all video content is viewed on PCs and laptops. I suspect most people watching the short drone videos we create will be watching them on YouTube. Many of those people have 4k TVs now. The majority of all new TVs being sold are 4k and all have built in 4k YouTube. Chromecast, Roku, Shield TV all support 4k YouTube. Most of my friends and even my parents have 4k TVs that nativley play 4k YouTube.
All I'm trying to say here is that more people watch 4k than people realize and more are gaining the ability every day.

That said, if you're watching 4k on a phone with a 4k screen or a TV with a smallish screen, you won't see a benefit. However, watch 4k on a 60+ inch TV, you'll see the difference. 4k on my 65" tv looks spectacular. Not saying 1080p is bad, it still looks great, but 4k has a noticeable difference.

2018-5-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

The field of views for both cameras are more similar to each other than they are to the Mavic Pro and Phantom. The Spark really isn't fully capable of filming good video while in Sport Mode, while the Air is more stable with its 3rd axis gimbal. The Spark gets the job done, but it appears the Air does it a bit better.
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Joshua Carlton Posted at 2018-2-9 19:41

Totally agree!   
2018-5-8
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

It's not just the ability to zoom, pan and stabilise that gives 4K an advantage.  Its also the fact that, even downscaled to 1080p, the image will be better than one filmed in 1080p to start with.

Take a quick look at this to see why -
2018-5-8
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Wreo Posted at 2018-2-10 01:08

Youtube compression will spoil any advantage MA has over Spark image quality
2018-5-8
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-5-8 08:36
Not trying to flame you at all here. I think you are right about most PCs/Laptops not being 4k, but not all video content is viewed on PCs and laptops. I suspect most people watching the short drone videos we create will be watching them on YouTube. Many of those people have 4k TVs now. The majority of all new TVs being sold are 4k and all have built in 4k YouTube. Chromecast, Roku, Shield TV all support 4k YouTube. Most of my friends and even my parents have 4k TVs that nativley play 4k YouTube.
All I'm trying to say here is that more people watch 4k than people realize and more are gaining the ability every day.

4k leaves room for zooming and reframing with no quality loss
2018-5-8
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Brazil

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-5-8 08:36
Not trying to flame you at all here. I think you are right about most PCs/Laptops not being 4k, but not all video content is viewed on PCs and laptops. I suspect most people watching the short drone videos we create will be watching them on YouTube. Many of those people have 4k TVs now. The majority of all new TVs being sold are 4k and all have built in 4k YouTube. Chromecast, Roku, Shield TV all support 4k YouTube. Most of my friends and even my parents have 4k TVs that nativley play 4k YouTube.

4k is even quite good for photo from video! =)
2018-5-8
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-10 09:24
It won’t be the camera that makes the difference it will be the photographer.

I totally agree. There are more advanced cameras (DSLR) and depending on how good the photographer is, the megapixel and the price of the camera doesn't matter. Although, with the drones, its a difficult comparison because your enemy is the light. You have to know how to play with ISO, aperture and correct shutterspeed.
2018-5-8
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I have Spark and Air. The photo and video from Air looks much better. The colour and light from Air looks more rich and accurate. Spark sometime difficult to get correct exposed image.

I only video on 1080 as 4K eat too much space and cpu time to edit. 1080p 30 frame is good enough. The file of 1080p 60 frame also huge and can’t see the different. Only useful when shooting fast action films which I won’t with Air.
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules