Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know, when my Mavic Air was delivered, it came with a hardware error with the Left Rear vision sensor.  The video below discusses this and the DJI tech support process I went through to get it resolved.  

Please don't turn this into a bashing thread or I will ask the admins to delete it.  It is meant to document what happened and how the process moved along for those that have been lucky enough to not go through the support process.

It is scheduled for delivery on Thurs, Feb 15th.

I'll update this thread when I get it back.

2018-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s a tough blow, hope you back flying and reviewing soon, looking forward to reviews.
2018-2-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

I was following your case from the beginning. There are also other youtubers suffering issues from Day 0 with their MAs.
Frankly saying, it surprised me a bit as one would thought that gear sent to influencers is better QAed than gear sent to general public exactly to avoid unpleasant situations like this.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect Chinese New year did not help things

Dennis UK
2018-2-10
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-10 10:04
I was following your case from the beginning. There are also other youtubers suffering issues from Day 0 with their MAs.
Frankly saying, it surprised me a bit as one would thought that gear sent to influencers is better QAed than gear sent to general public exactly to avoid unpleasant situations like this.

When I ordered it, it wasn’t through any special program or anything, so I’m sure they didn’t have any idea I put out an occasional video or post on this forum when they were fulfilling this order.
2018-2-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-10 10:22
When I ordered it, it wasn’t through any special program or anything, so I’m sure they didn’t have any idea I put out an occasional video or post on this forum when they were fulfilling this order.

Nice! Gives more realistic picture of the gear failure rate, DOA process and everything.
Even tho, not average users are chosen for Trial program, there seem to be still decent pool of independent reviews and reports for now.
2018-2-10
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

My guess is, you won't get a brand new Mavic Air, you'll get a refurbished unit which. It's very unlikely you'll get your original aircraft back.
2018-2-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Thank you for the video. Apart from a slight initial hickup, things went pretty straight forward. From my own experience with the online support I can witness that the people there are extremely friendly, supportive  and dedicated (in my opinion they should just be allowed to use a bit more of personal language instead of standardised wordings). But I also had the feeling that they are a bit left at the end of the food chain and we cannot blame them for that. Maybe on that side DJI might wish to look into strenghening the online support. With email support I have been more successful in one enquiry case, nothing serious though.
2018-2-10
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Very informative video, thanks for sharing the whole process! And of course let us know how it went when you get the MA back.
2018-2-10
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-2-10 10:37
My guess is, you won't get a brand new Mavic Air, you'll get a refurbished unit which. It's very unlikely you'll get your original aircraft back.

How many refurbished Mavic Air's do you reckon DJI got shelved just 2 weeks after the release?

2018-2-11
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-10 10:05
I suspect Chinese New year did not help things

Dennis UK

Well, I also think it doesn't help that most users seem to order the Flame red version which puts a tad of pressure on the production line also to satisfy the demand... That is basically a guarantee for an increased error rate in production.
Because of that I decided to cancel my order for the red one and go with a black one that I can get from my local dealer.
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I noticed your unboxing video made digest on the front of the forum then later down the thread it turned out to be a DOA - thats not too good! I sincerely hope your replacement is perfect out of the box.
2018-2-11
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 03:06
How many refurbished Mavic Air's do you reckon DJI got shelved just 2 weeks after the release?

Based on the number of threads posted here and on other forums about Mavic Air problems, and the videos of problems requiring then to be returned, I'd say quite a few. According to a DJI supervisor from the DJI repair facility who I spoke with, the refurbished units all come from China anyway.
2018-2-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Closing the loop on the tech support process with a review of the whole thing:

2018-2-22
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Didnt fw update .200 solve that problem where left back sensor was falsely saying it needed to be calibrated or didnt work? Could your mavic air have been fine all along? That would suck!!!
2018-2-22
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-22 19:47
Didnt fw update .200 solve that problem where left back sensor was falsely saying it needed to be calibrated or didnt work? Could your mavic air have been fine all along? That would suck!!!

I think you are referring to something different.  I think you are thinking of this one from the .0200 firmware release notes:

"Fixed an issue that occasionally caused the DJI GO 4 app to display a Downward Vision System calibration
error."

This is a different issue than what I was running into.
2018-2-22
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

What did yours exactly say? Just curious
2018-2-22
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Did u try to calibrate? On assistant sucks dude especially unboxing a new item and that happens hopefully they take care of u with a little extra surprise like an extra battery or something for your troubles
2018-2-22
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-22 19:53
What did yours exactly say? Just curious

Screenshots of the errors in both videos in this thread.  Go to 0:58 in the video I just posted for exact details.
2018-2-22
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Cool good luck man
2018-2-22
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-22 19:55
Did u try to calibrate? On assistant sucks dude especially unboxing a new item and that happens hopefully they take care of u with a little extra surprise like an extra battery or something for your troubles

Go to 5:02 in the original video I posted to start this thread where I discuss trying to use Assistant 2 to calibrate the sensors.
2018-2-22
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-22 17:51
Closing the loop on the tech support process with a review of the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/oBiBBCwekBY

Good deal........Kloo Gee !!
As you stated, sh%t happens and we certainly do not live in a perfect world. I went through about the same situation with my Mavic Pro last year. It went haywire on it's second flight coming in for a landing. It suddenly accelerated at full speed, started to ascend, and slammed into a tree about fifty feet away. Destroyed all of the propellers. and damaged the camera and gimbal.
The whole Dji Care Refresh took about four weeks from start to finish. Luckily I did not have to use it and they covered and repaired all under warranty. To this day, it has flown and performed like a gem.
2018-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules