19131 44 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wish people would stop calling the transmission system on the Mavic Air and indeed Spark WiFi. It is  Radio transmission (or RF) that is on 2.4 or 5.8 GHz.

WiFi is a term used for Routers, Tablets, Smart Phones and other devises associated with IT and the internet etc and they typically have a range of about 50 m and indeed transmit on 2.4 and 5.8 GHz also, but because of other matters their range is limited to about 50m

By using the term WiFi for the Mavic Air and Spark people think that the distance will be similarly limited to 50 which it is if you just use your phone as controller.

If you use the remote controller (As all should in my view) you will have far greater range (At least 20 - 40 times more). I would say far greater than you would ever need or should ever fly (Hard hat on).

2.4 GHz has now been used by RC Plane/Aircraft pilots for years now and I assure you we would never refer to it as WiFi. Its range, Reliability and strength of connection is the best the RC world has ever had in my view.

If people stopped referring to WiFi people would be far less confused. Just know that with the Transmitter it is plenty far enough (Even in the EU where we have less power in our transmitters than the US)

Let the argument begin

Dennis
2018-2-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Wifi in this forum context is the name given to RC-AC RF communication at 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz frequency ranges done wrong, IMNSHO.
When it's done right, it's named Ocusync or Lightbridge.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-10 10:32
Wifi in this forum context is the name given to RC-AC RF communication at 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz frequency ranges done wrong, IMNSHO.
When it's done right, it's named Ocusync or Lightbridge.

Do you think normal old Joes understand that
2018-2-10
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-10 10:34

It depends on how you define "normal"
Anyways, I got used to wrong wording here.
Double rates are sensitivity here, pretty assisted ATTI is called manual here, veterans are those who had P1...
2018-2-10
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
Flight distance : 408343 ft
United States

Perhaps we should seek better clarification from DJI as they put WIFI in their specifications.  Maybe they enhanced it somehow.  I was also skeptical if the term, but seeing that it is in official documentation, I not sure what to make of it yet.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MediaElite Posted at 2018-2-10 11:03
Perhaps we should seek better clarification from DJI as they put WIFI in their specifications.  Maybe they enhanced it somehow.  I was also skeptical if the term, but seeing that it is in official documentation, I not sure what to make of it yet.

Just ignore it but know that with the Controller the range is plenty far enough
2018-2-10
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-10 10:34

This might help the normal old Joes.
Wi-Fi
Also worth looking at the long range record 382 km.
So WiFi dont mean so much.
2018-2-10
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

I did some reasoning for Wifi used by the Spark here: https://grumpylittleengineer.blo ... speculating-on.html
And the why is mainly because of the high resolution video stream that comes with the RC control connection. I can agree that naming it Wifi might confuse most of the people but it is roughly what is used in the background. The fact is that you need quite the performant transmission system to broadcast high resolution video over a wireless connection. And without re-inventing the wheel there is no real option but to use an broadband OFDM system (this is the physical layer transmission medium access method which basically describes the waveform that is used in the transmission signal And its what Wifi is using nowadays. And also LTE/4G btw. Together with the frequency bands 2.4 GHz and 5(.8) GHz this more or less characterizes Wifi. (strictly speaking Wifi - or more detailed WLAN IEEE 802.11 - is a bit more since it does also contains a lot of things above the physical layer).
So what DJI might have done is to create a new protocol for video / control information so it fits there needs. But they do that on the back of the Wifi / WLAN infrastructure reusing the already existing and cheap electronics for that, just because developing a completly new transmission system including the electronics for that is just so expensive that their Drones would cost at least ten times as much.
So I will keep on calling it Wifi because it is basically that. Calling it by another name will not change that.
2018-2-10
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

It is called WIFI because DJI calls it. Wifi refers to communication standard for wireless communication between devices using TCP/IP protocol. DJI introduced wifi standard with enhancement in RF part to mar the range longer. The SSID is hidden and predefined when use betwee aircraft and RC but discoverable when set to use with mobile phone. DJI uses 2.4 GHz for AC-RC communication for very long time but use DJI standard protocol until Spark and Mavic Air.
2018-2-10
Use props
drown84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176312 ft
United States

Like I said before, its definitely not wifi when you can go out 4km with it. Only reason DJI is calling it wifi is pure marketing, so all the Pro users feel better the the Air is "just" wifi and the Pro uses ocusync, when they are the exact same technology except one uses slightly less power.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

now this is a good thread discussion - not just for the topic but for the constructive answers provided
2018-2-10
Use props
theothernt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Terminology is always a problem, but people like things that are easy to remember (even if it's misleading).

So, for those who don't care: wifi or 'enhanced wifi' is fine

For those of us who know, the frequency and transmission power matter matter (look at the specs)... ie. don't get caught up in marketing-speak.
2018-2-10
Use props
jbogush
lvl.1
Flight distance : 499409 ft
United States

drown84 Posted at 2018-2-10 14:18
Like I said before, its definitely not wifi when you can go out 4km with it. Only reason DJI is calling it wifi is pure marketing, so all the Pro users feel better the the Air is "just" wifi and the Pro uses ocusync, when they are the exact same technology except one uses slightly less power.

I have a Wifi setup between two properties, each on either side of a valley with a line of site distance of 4.7 miles. I use it to share the Internet connection at one property to the other property across the valley. It's reliable and less than $200 of hardware. I've read about other similar setups with the same hardware successful over twice the distance of my setup.
2018-2-10
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

The range is just a function of the transmitter output power, the channel attenuation, the receiver senditivity and the Transmission environment.
As far as i remember the WiFi specifications do not limit range, only power. Goverment regulations might limit range.
So range is not a valid argument against wifi.
2018-2-10
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

The most informative discussion on the subject. Learning lots. Sadly not able to contribute!
2018-2-10
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

jbogush Posted at 2018-2-10 14:40
I have a Wifi setup between two properties, each on either side of a valley with a line of site distance of 4.7 miles. I use it to share the Internet connection at one property to the other property across the valley. It's reliable and less than $200 of hardware. I've read about other similar setups with the same hardware successful over twice the distance of my setup.

Any chance you use UBNT.  Have used their product for years up to 15 km and over 100Mb/sec for phone internet and Tv . All true same 5.7GHz connection. Just if its called WiFi don't think it's not working.
2018-2-10
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Come on DJI, say something here!!!!!!
2018-2-10
Use props
jbogush
lvl.1
Flight distance : 499409 ft
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-2-10 15:49
Any chance you use UBNT.  Have used their product for years up to 15 km and over 100Mb/sec for phone internet and Tv . All true same 5.7GHz connection. Just if its called WiFi don't think it's not working.

Absolutely UBNT!
2018-2-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well all very interesting. My Friend just read this thread and he said I don't understand it but it works and I love my Mavic

Dennis UK
2018-2-11
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-11 03:57
Well all very interesting. My Friend just read this thread and he said I don't understand it but it works and I love my Mavic

Dennis UK

2018-2-11
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting but ultimately what's in a name?  Wi-Fi is the transmission of radio waves.  As many far more researched people have said above, it can be called any number of things.  I must agree that for a consumer-level drone, aimed at the middle market, it seems strange that DJI used a term that most people would recognise as being the transmission of data that can't get past that second bedroom wall in their own homes...  
But, enough people, myself included, have proved the AIr transmits far enough for everyday use..  V interesting thread...

Ian
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting thread!
2018-2-11
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Both the Mavic Air and Spark use WiFi... DJI refer to it as 'Enhanced WiFi', so it just has a higher dBm than other traditional ""WiFi"" devices,

Looking at your drones you have flown, it doesn't look like you have tried a Mavic Pro (Ocusync) / Phantom (Litebridge), the Mavic Pro can scan transmission channels 20MHz, 10MHz and 1.4MHz, not only is the range greatly improved, it also has lower latency and more robust video feed. Its defiantly worth trying a Mavic Pro
2018-2-11
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

If RF communication between TX and RX meets IEEE 802.11 standard, it could be called WiFi, if it doesn't meet the standard, it's not exact science but mostly marketing.
Sparks comm is definitely WiFi as you can fly it using WiFi router so it could be assumed it meets IEEE 802.11:

As for the MA, it remains to be seen if it's WiFi or not.

2018-2-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-11 07:15
But it IS Wi-Fi, just more powerful & with specialized antenna to extend the range.  Your phone connects to the remote on select models via Wi-Fi.  It may be enhanced but it is still Wi-Fi.

Or is it just magic Fairies COS I cant see or hear either of them so they must be the same
2018-2-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Regardless of how it transmits I would say to interested people you Wanna be getting one of them. That applies to any DJI Craft cos They work right well in my book
2018-2-11
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-11 09:49
Or is it just magic Fairies COS I cant see or hear either of them so they must be the same

That's because only very few humans evolutioned enough to feel the presence of EM waves. Scientifically, they are called X-Man. There are quite a few documentaries about them. They are also able to do other cool random stuff.
2018-2-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-11 10:11
Flying with magic fairies can be quite exciting...

...if only you could see what you're missing!

Now I get it totally
2018-2-11
Use props
hpsupport34
New

India

The problems which we can define is that the wifi sometimes not connecting to your device that will be the issue of the connection setting which can be solved by the process of the settings. For more contact Hp Support.
2018-5-17
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-10 14:22
now this is a good thread discussion - not just for the topic but for the constructive answers provided

RIGHT?!  These are the discussions i like!!
2018-5-17
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-2-10 15:49

I absolutely use UBNT.  Outfitted the house with all Ubiquity gear and am loving it.!
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59610 ft
Singapore

It is enhanced WiFi
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.3
Singapore

Dji said this is enhanced WiFi
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.3
Singapore

Because of WiFi that's why Very poor transmission signal many people unable to fly more than 200m some only few meter and with signal interference
2018-5-17
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-17 11:50
I absolutely use UBNT.  Outfitted the house with all Ubiquity gear and am loving it.!

It's the best you get for its price. Have been helping people with WiFi problem inside and used these
UniFi UAP‑AC‑LR. Works perfect both on 2.4 and 5Ghz.
2018-5-17
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-5-17 17:07
It's the best you get for its price. Have been helping people with WiFi problem inside and used these
UniFi UAP‑AC‑LR. Works perfect both on 2.4 and 5Ghz.

indeed.  I switched to the UAP-AC-Pro when my Meraki subscription was due.  2 APs and 1 switch.  the next purchase to complete the network is the EdgeRouter X. that way i can take full advantage of my gig speed both ways.

but i don't wanna hijack this thread and take it into networking...
2018-5-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is technically WiFi. As mentioned before it fits into the 802.11 standards..  where as occusync and lightbridge do not for their own reasons which can be discussed separately as well.  

The reason dji would use 802.11 WiFi is it is basicaly cheapest licensed standard (effectively free). And likely just using an off the shelf rebadged WiFi chipset.    And this keeps cost of the drone down since doesn’t have to get separate certifications since they already exist and basically off the shelf part.  
2018-5-17
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Mauritius

2.4GHz may have been used for years and is a handy spectrum for short range RC but it's hardly "the best". On my custom quads and planes, I use 433MHz/1.2GHz (video) and have achieved over 30KM with my wing. I could probably go over 80-100KM with directional equipment. 2.4GHz is ideal for DJI drones because most of the time, the drones are used for short distance work and there's enough spectrum to multiplex video and control.
2018-10-26
Use props
hpprintercare
New

India

We are offering reliable HP Printer Support to the printer users at their desk. If you have any issue regarding your HP printer, contact us immediately.
2018-12-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji's forums are being exploited again......
2018-12-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules