1041 17 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Hi Everyone,

today I tried the new features released with latest P4P+ firmware, including Pano mode. In the DJI go app everything worked smoothly, from capture (that is soooo quick!) to stitching. But stitching the DNGs on my PC has not be easy the same. In fact, it looks like that the shooting order of the sphere pano mode is a tad weird. It starts from the top of the pano, but ONLY sometimes it goes down to the bottom and then back to the middle. I'll attach a picture as soon as I can to better explain the ordering issue, BTW the result is that even Microsoft ICE (Image Compositor Editor) is not able to stitch them toghether properly. Ligthroom is, but is not the best way possibile to manage spheric panos.

Now, I don't expect DJI to fix this, since it already did a great job introducing this feature to my P4P+, but I'm asking if you have experienced something like this and how you have sorted it out.

Thank you!
Giammi

PS
This has been stitched with LR, starting from 21 pics in 180° pano mode!
PANO0001-Pano.jpg
2018-2-10
Use props
Desertcruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5203159 ft
Switzerland

That looks great @Giammi!

Chris
2018-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It sure looks great.
I can't help you out with your issue unfortunately.
2018-2-10
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Looks good , but i have not used this feature on my p+ yet ? so watch this with interest
2018-2-10
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Well the pano looks very good!
2018-2-10
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Nice view!
I’d be interested to see what the 360 shooting pattern is too. It would not be surprising that fewer shots are taken for the lower parts of the panorama as the lower images overlap more. That may be why the shooting pattern seems odd. Does the sequence include any images with the camera pointing directly downwards?

2018-2-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning shot!   
2018-2-10
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

G Davidson Posted at 2018-2-10 13:50
Nice view!
I’d be interested to see what the 360 shooting pattern is too. It would not be surprising that fewer shots are taken for the lower parts of the panorama as the lower images overlap more. That may be why the shooting pattern seems odd. Does the sequence include any images with the camera pointing directly downwards?

Ah! You're right. Didn't think about that!
I'll double check the pattern looking for what you're saying.
2018-2-10
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
South Korea

looks great
2018-2-10
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

G Davidson Posted at 2018-2-10 13:50
Nice view!

As promised, I dug more into this, but this time I moved to something more specific like Hugin. Here I attach for your reference the shooting pattern.
Pattern looks like to be, from top to bottom:
1st row: 9 pics
2nd row: 9 pics
3rd row: 9 pics
4th row: 6 pics
5th row: 1 pic (directly downwards)
BTW, I think that Hugin is the only way, since the others are not so good in handling such spherical panos.

2018-2-10
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 2018-2-10 16:38
As promised, I dug more into this, but this time I moved to something more specific like Hugin. Here I attach for your reference the shooting pattern.
Pattern looks like to be, from top to bottom:
1st row: 9 pics

Thanks for posting the shooting pattern - it does appear to be well chosen albeit they've gone for a lot of overlap. I agree that a good stitcher is needed for full 360s.

I’m still using the original P4 with the 12Mp camera for 360s and find myself hankering for a P4 pro. The only thing that held me back was the red dot grid array flare I saw in others shots when shooting into the sun. It would be my luck the P5 came out a month later if I bought a P4 pro now!
2018-2-11
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

G Davidson Posted at 2018-2-11 00:31
Thanks for posting the shooting pattern - it does appear to be well chosen albeit they've gone for a lot of overlap. I agree that a good stitcher is needed for full 360s.

I’m still using the original P4 with the 12Mp camera for 360s and find myself hankering for a P4 pro. The only thing that held me back was the red dot grid array flare I saw in others shots when shooting into the sun. It would be my luck the P5 came out a month later if I bought a P4 pro now!

I think that resolution is overrated when it comes to panoramas. Sometimes is better to handle smaller pictures, so I don't see your P4 as a limitation.
Coming to the P5 I totally agree with you. Now is not the moment to buy, because the DJI offer can rapidly change in few weeks/months. I'm in your same position, wondering if to sell my P4P+ waiting for the rumored Mavic Pro 2 to come (it should be confirmed with 1" sensor!). My fear is that, if I wait too much, then I will face a lot of P4P on sale for few bucks.
2018-2-11
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 2018-2-11 02:38
I think that resolution is overrated when it comes to panoramas. Sometimes is better to handle smaller pictures, so I don't see your P4 as a limitation.
Coming to the P5 I totally agree with you. Now is not the moment to buy, because the DJI offer can rapidly change in few weeks/months. I'm in your same position, wondering if to sell my P4P+ waiting for the rumored Mavic Pro 2 to come (it should be confirmed with 1" sensor!). My fear is that, if I wait too much, then I will face a lot of P4P on sale for few bucks.

Unfortunately, it's not so much the resolution that that gets me on the 12MP P4, it's the lack of dynamic range and resolution sapping artefacts on high shutter speed shots (completely counter to normal photographic rules!).

The P4 pro is also applying a lot of lens correction which affects true resolution in the corners but its added dynamic range is a constant attraction for me

It's a tough call... If the successor to the P4 series can be realistically had for the UK summer I'd definitely wait but if availability is more like autumn/winter it's going to largely sit unused until this time next year. Whereas I could have the P4 pro, share my existing batteries between them and get some improved imagery this year Decisions decisions....

Incidentally, in your 360 panorama do you have any red dot flare in a grid pattern affecting the shots that include the sun? Not having had the use of a P4 Pro myself, I'm completely at the mercy of what others portray of the red dot flare issues that have been reported!
2018-2-11
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

G Davidson Posted at 2018-2-11 04:09
Unfortunately, it's not so much the resolution that that gets me on the 12MP P4, it's the lack of dynamic range and resolution sapping artefacts on high shutter speed shots (completely counter to normal photographic rules!).

The P4 pro is also applying a lot of lens correction which affects true resolution in the corners but its added dynamic range is a constant attraction for me

I have to admit that sometimes it happened to have that red flare, but not so frequently. In this case, for example, no issues at all with that! In this one neither: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1192378
2018-2-11
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 2018-2-11 06:58
I have to admit that sometimes it happened to have that red flare, but not so frequently. In this case, for example, no issues at all with that! In this one neither: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=134692&page=1#pid1192378

Those worked out rather well! I wonder if the sun has to be in a particular place in the image to trigger the spots and if the flare can be avoided, knowing that position to avoid would be very handy ;)
2018-2-11
Use props
Kreativos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347123 ft

Mexico

The order is not a problem, ICE, PTGui, Kolor pano, handle it pretty good.
2018-2-11
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

Kreativos Posted at 2018-2-11 16:59
The order is not a problem, ICE, PTGui, Kolor pano, handle it pretty good.

ICE does not handle it. Just tried.
2018-2-11
Use props
Kreativos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347123 ft

Mexico

Stitched in ICE, sky bad photoshopped I was in a hurry to publish it.
https://www.facebook.com/descubrelamixteca/posts/1672789986130170
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules