Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro , 10 seconds of panic.
1322 13 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Had a compass error at the start. Calibrated the compass and took to flight. The last 10 seconds of video I thought the MP was gone. Lost controller connection (weak signal). I was just sliding the right stick   to the left when as you can see from the video it looked like it wanted to flip. Hit RTH and it flew back but the MP landed 10 feet from the take off pad. MP had another compass error. Checked the compass indicator and it had complete red bars across it. Moved the MP 10 feet from where it was and the compass said normal. It seems I laid the landing pad over a surveyor’s metal medallion (middle of a cul-de-sac). There was no more video after the mishap. But the MP recovered and came back. The rest of my flights had no more problems.  I looked at the flight log and didn’t see a problem.  DJI video showed nothing unusual with movement of the right stick. Had a week signal at the time of mishap and then did the RTH.

My question is:  would the calibration error cause what the video shows??

2018-2-10
Use props
Oranges
Second Officer
Flight distance : 458356 ft
Malaysia

I had a similar issue when I turned the mavic on in a magnetic-interference area and flew away from it (turned it on inside my car, controller  kept beeping magnetic interference, then i brought it out and launched it) .
Situation was similar as per your video -- Sudden loss of control and live-view seems awfully worrying (tilting weird angles) . Had to activate sport mode and bring it home manually. normal GPS mode would not register my inputs.

Brought it home, restarted the craft outside and all was good

2018-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good thing you got it back.
I know the compass does get interfered, but I'm not sure if this is the cause.
2018-2-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nervous when that happens but glad you got it back safely.
2018-2-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Wonder if there was more Ferrous metal in area than just surveyor’s metal medallion?  Those are usually pretty small with steel spike holding them in place.  Thinking there may have been steel piping running through area.  Or buried pile of scrap metal.
2018-2-11
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I think that was a gimbal reset, not your actual aircraft doing something funky in mid-air. Mine did the same thing, first flight out, but for me, after the gimbal did its wigging out, I was unable to control the camera for about 20 seconds and the video froze... But it looked exactly like that.
2018-2-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It wasn't trying to flip.  It's just the gimbal doing its gyrations.
2018-2-11
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
United States

Thanks to all for the replies. I believe as Agon-Gary and Jyunte that it was the Gimbal. But at that moment it looked like the MP flipping.   I checked  Airdata UAV information on the flight and there seemed to be nothing wrong except for a weak signal and that was way before the mishap. Hopefully it won't happen again.
2018-2-12
Use props
DroneMann1
lvl.1

Isle of Man

Any updates on this folks.  My 4 week old MP video froze on mid air today for the first time followed by what I believe to be a gamble reset in mid air.  I thought the MP was falling out of the sky.  Hope it's just a 1 off, but the more i lool around the more this seems to be a big problem??
2018-2-19
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad everything went well after.
2018-2-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-2-11 16:31
I think that was a gimbal reset, not your actual aircraft doing something funky in mid-air. Mine did the same thing, first flight out, but for me, after the gimbal did its wigging out, I was unable to control the camera for about 20 seconds and the video froze... But it looked exactly like that.

I agree that was the gimbal geeking out not the aircraft.
2018-2-19
Use props
Silver Surfer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 46283 ft
Canada

B1houdini, Good thing you got it back.  I know what it feels like to loose one and not RTH.  I am glad it all turned out well.  Happy flying
2018-2-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The first thing I do when I see something like that, or even a brief video loss or interference when it is close to me is to land and shut everything completely off - everything.  Reboot your device, restart everything in order, bring up Go4 and start it up again. Watch everything to see if it looks normal before starting motors.  If all looks well, take small steps.  Start the drone, lift off a few feet and check stability.  Move a few feet in all directions to see that it is obeying all commands in a timely manner and holding position with nuetral sticks.  Depending on what happened to cause the initial worry, I would probably shut it down again and do a complete restart of everything a second time to see if it looks good a second time.  If all is well, I'd go fly, always keeping in mind that there might be a problem.  The more good runs you get, the more confident you get in it being just a one-off glitch.
2018-3-10
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-10 16:56
The first thing I do when I see something like that, or even a brief video loss or interference when it is close to me is to land and shut everything completely off - everything.  Reboot your device, restart everything in order, bring up Go4 and start it up again. Watch everything to see if it looks normal before starting motors.  If all looks well, take small steps.  Start the drone, lift off a few feet and check stability.  Move a few feet in all directions to see that it is obeying all commands in a timely manner and holding position with nuetral sticks.  Depending on what happened to cause the initial worry, I would probably shut it down again and do a complete restart of everything a second time to see if it looks good a second time.  If all is well, I'd go fly, always keeping in mind that there might be a problem.  The more good runs you get, the more confident you get in it being just a one-off glitch.

Good advise.
In my case I could see the Mavic, but it was very far away. So I depended on the Mavic to find it's way home and land. I was uneasy after that but I did shut things down and restarted and redid the calibration. Had no trouble since.

Thanks again for the reply.
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules