Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do you shoot pics and video in RAW Format? Why or why not?
11021 31 2015-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm using 2.7k and 30 fps and want to try RAW footage.  Do you shoot RAW and why?
2015-4-29
Use props
jkaser
lvl.2

United States

I shoot RAW as I can get a much better final image after processing it in Photoshop.
2015-4-29
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jkaser, that is good info.  Do you use the full blown photoshop or elements?
2015-4-29
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I shoot JPEG.  I found that RAW is ok for some types of work but there are not enough positives about RAW to use it for this purpose.   JPEG will meet your needs.
2015-4-30
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

There is now "raw" video format that captures only data on either gopro or the Vision. I shoot Raw stills on my Vision 2+
2015-4-30
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

this was my first shoot in RAW.  I think it turned out well.  i did a comparison flight and don't notice much difference:
2015-5-1
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-1 23:59
this was my first shoot in RAW.  I think it turned out well.  i did a comparison flight and don't no ...

There is no RAW file type for video - that is only for still shots.  RAW gives you the most information possible to work with with your photo in an editor, such as Photoshop.  A RAW image MUST be post-processed to look good as the camera does no processing of the image at all.  The file has ALL the available data from the sensor.  A JPEG image is processed by the camera to look 'good' but leaves much less information to work with in post processing.

I always shoot still images (both with the Vision and my Canon DSLR) in RAW format.  This way I can process them all I want and never alter the original file as well as produce the print I want, not what the camera thhinks is best.
2015-5-1
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

I have it set so that it shoots both, best of both worlds
2015-5-1
Use props
danrok
lvl.1

Jersey

I always shoot RAW, and process photos in Lightroom.

Lightroom can produce better results using a RAW file, such as exposure correction.
2015-5-1
Use props
danrok
lvl.1

Jersey

jliddil Posted at 2015-5-1 06:53
There is now "raw" video format that captures only data on either gopro or the Vision. I shoot Raw s ...

That's right RAW files are single frames, i.e. photos.

The video equivalent would be to capture completely uncompressed video data.  I very much doubt the Vision+ plus camera would be able to do that - it needs a lot of fast data throughput and a lot of storage.
2015-5-1
Use props
john
New

United States

RAW is the only way to go if you edit your photos.  Adjust using Lightroom and if needed Photoshop.  You will have lots of control for shadows and highlights. This is a great link for tutorials. http://photoserge.com/
2015-5-1
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i don't shoot photos often but have been using RAW for video.  will review the weekend's shots and see how they come out.
2015-5-4
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

so far it looks like the RAW footage is lighter than the other video but that leaves lots of room to improve it in post.  i will continue testing!
2015-5-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-1 23:59
this was my first shoot in RAW.  I think it turned out well.  i did a comparison flight and don't no ...

You videoed RAW?  That would be a HUGE file if it can be done at all.  I think one of us is confused about RAW.  It is only for still shots not video.
2015-5-8
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-8 19:55
so far it looks like the RAW footage is lighter than the other video but that leaves lots of room to ...

There is no such thing as RAW video.  RAW is ONLY for still shots.  What you need to do is set the cameera to shoot RAW and then take a STILL shot.  This will automatically produce a RAW image and a .jpg image.  Look at the difference in those.  That is the only place you will see a difference.  The .jpg will look fairly decent as the RAW will look flat and dull.  The RAW setting has absolutely no effect on video recording.
2015-5-8
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
Argentina

My GoPro Hero #+ Black has a setting for 2.7k, 30 fps, and RAW.  not lying.
Playa Bristol 01.jpg
Water Tower Night 01.jpg
2015-5-8
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

can you shoot video in raw?
2015-5-17
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

For hopefully the last time, No, you cant shoot RAW Video, the GoPro uses the H.264 codec, or .mp4 file format compression on the video.
There is No uncompressed video available.
2015-5-17
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

RAW video would be nice - I will change my settings now
2015-5-18
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-5-18 15:10
For hopefully the last time, No, you cant shoot RAW Video, the GoPro uses the H.264 codec, or .mp4 f ...

Gotta laugh!
No!, for the 5th time!
2015-5-18
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-5-19 02:07
RAW video would be nice - I will change my settings now

Change them to what?  You CANNOT shoot video in RAW format.  Only still shots.
2015-5-18
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

updated settings, what a difference!
2015-5-19
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

my gopro is shooting in 2.7k, 30 fps and it says RAW on the display screen.  that's all i can tell you.
2015-5-19
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-20 05:55
my gopro is shooting in 2.7k, 30 fps and it says RAW on the display screen.  that's all i can tell y ...

It may say RAW on your screen, but you are not shooting RAW video.  It just does not exist.  If you understood what RAW images are you would understand you are not shooting RAW video.  If it says RAW on your screen, what that means is if you take your camera and put it into Still mode and not video mode, you will be shooting STILL images in RAW format.  I fail to see why you keep insisting you are doing something that is impossible to do.  Like I said in an earlier post, put your camera in Still mode and take one shot in RAW and when you shoot that you will get a RAW image and a .jpg image.  Look at those two side by side and you will see the difference in RAW and .jpg.  There just is no such thing as RAW video.
2015-5-20
Use props
Shuffle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nrgwise Posted at 2015-5-20 18:07
It may say RAW on your screen, but you are not shooting RAW video.  It just does not exist.  If yo ...

^^^ As already said it might say shooting in RAW on settings, but it won't be...What does the file type say when you upload to your PC/Mac??  
2015-5-20
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-20 05:55
my gopro is shooting in 2.7k, 30 fps and it says RAW on the display screen.  that's all i can tell y ...

such better quality, right? same here on my v+
2015-5-20
Use props
pcp.twcny
lvl.2
United States

Is there any free or inexpensive software that can open and adjust Phantom 3 raw photos?
Adobe/Lightroom is too expensive for my needs.
Thanks.
2015-6-15
Use props
swiss656
New

Switzerland

Hello to All

Johnwarr is most correct! There is no RAW Video. You would only find this in advanced diagnostic imaging systems, such as MRI, and CT. Which I had the privilege of working with for over twenty years. So video,  and FPV, is what you get as standard with the bird.  Yes it can be done, but you need massive amounts of memory, and these systems exist., but for now this is what we got.

With the above said and done. In respect of the two Still Photo Formats available, and in respect of digital photography today. One has to remember, that we have third dimension of  light energy, to work with, and this also applies to the color spectrum, as a volume element per pixel.

As a simple experiment, in order to see this. In whatever photo PGM that you use.  Call up a photo, Perform a manual adjustment, of Brighness and Contrast, take the contrast from mid point, to about 80%, then nock down the brightness in 10 steps at a shot, towards black, and see what you get. Try this in both formats, and see what you see, but this is to show you what light volume, to a degree, in visual can be demonstrated. You can also adjust contrast as well, in order to see different effects

The difference between the two formats my not be great, when you use standard automatic "fix selections", between the two, But the working region,in photo processing , that you have at your finger tips, is better with RAW, than JPEG.  Remember, one can save in what ever format you wish, but save your base work first, then save as what ever you want. Cheers from Swiss world, Geoff S

2015-6-16
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GoPro has free editing software that will de-fisheye your videos.
2015-6-18
Use props
john
New

United States

I think Pro-tune setting in your go-pro works like RAW.  You can adjust color a lot better.  RAW for stills will give you superior results if you use Lightroom or Photoshop.  With RAW you can recover a lot of detail in shadows and highlights.  When I am done editing I save in jpg for sharing.
2015-6-23
Use props
skan
lvl.2

Spain

flydronefly Posted at 2015-5-17 18:11
can you shoot video in raw?

Many professional cameras can.

http://epfilms.tv/sony-nex-fs700rh-review/
2018-6-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You have replied to a zombie thread that is 3+ years old. Yes, some pro cameras can shoot RAW video, but the Phantom series does not, and probably never will.
2018-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules