Mavic pro video smoothness question
2376 14 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
W1zzard
lvl.4
Russia

Hello.
Iam start using mavic not long ago, and after some video i cant understand is it normal what i get, here link on video from drone https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... WR/view?usp=sharing check it around 37-47 seconds, when camera panning quite fast, buildings start to i dont know jumping but it no way smooth. So is it normal?
Video settings was 2.7k mov. I dont remember that i saw something similar on other mavic video from youtube.
2018-2-11
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

What recording settings did you use, what framerate and shutterspeed?
Next time use ND filter, keep your shutterspeed about twice the recording framerate.
I use 4k@ 30fps and shutter 60 with ND filter ofcourse, to keep exposure close to vallue "0"
2018-2-11
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
Russia

Anoniem Posted at 2018-2-11 07:13
What recording settings did you use, what framerate and shutterspeed?
Next time use ND filter, keep your shutterspeed about twice the recording framerate.
I use 4k@ 30fps and shutter 60 with ND filter ofcourse, to keep exposure close to vallue "0"

24fps, shutter about 200, but when moving slow all smooth even with same settings on same video.
2018-2-11
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

W1zzard Posted at 2018-2-11 07:27
24fps, shutter about 200, but when moving slow all smooth even with same settings on same video.

There is allot of snow, this reflects the light.
You will lose detail in snow because of over exposure, if you do not use ND filters than you can compensate with the shutter speed like you did.

If you start with drones, just use at least 30FPS and shutter speed 60(double of FPS).
In the snow you will get over exposure, the  EV vallue will be higher than 0.
This needs to be close to vallue 0, get some ND filters, you need them.
Lock your white balance to cloudy or sunny.
Record with color profile of you liking and maybe try sharpness 0 so you do not lose to much detail.

If you record with 24FPS, then you need to move slowly.
You might want to change settings in your drone for more cinematic video, your Mavic will react not so aggressive.
2018-2-11
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
Russia

Anoniem Posted at 2018-2-11 08:25
There is allot of snow, this reflects the light.
You will lose detail in snow because of over exposure, if you do not use ND filters than you can compensate with the shutter speed like you did.

Ok check 05-15 seconds and then 16-25 its both almost same speed but in 05-15 its rising up and 16-25 its panning, and panning definitely less smooth than rising, but again speed relatively similar, and its same video all settings same.
2018-2-11
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
Russia

Hmm may be someone have small video with same fast panning just to compare? Because i dont remember that in videos from mavik pro on youtube i have seen anything similar.
2018-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

24fps = SLOW movement only
And preferably 1/50s shutterspeed.
2018-2-11
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
Russia

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-11 10:53
24fps = SLOW movement only
And preferably 1/50s shutterspeed.

Actually never saw such things on other cameras, same 24fps, gopro, xiaomi, canon 5d mk2, no such jumpy things...
2018-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

W1zzard Posted at 2018-2-11 11:07
Actually never saw such things on other cameras, same 24fps, gopro, xiaomi, canon 5d mk2, no such jumpy things...

Maybe that is because they don't move like your Mavic does?
Usually only a small part of the frame is moving and the rest is static so you don't notice this.

In general 24fps and fast shutterspeeds give stuttery motion.
That is not Mavic's fault.
The difference is that with Mavic the whole frame is moving.

You are better off making slower movements and keep your shutterspeed at about double your framerate.  (so 24 fps is around 1/50s)
You might need ND filters to be able to get that in daylight conditions.

Lot's of info about this online.
(framerate vs shutterspeed relationship)
2018-2-11
Use props
W1zzard
lvl.4
Russia

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-11 11:19
Maybe that is because they don't move like your Mavic does?
Usually only a small part of the frame is moving and the rest is static so you don't notice this.

We talk about panning, its same move on mavic or any other camera, ok i think i should make example with same shutter speed and fps on different cameras.
2018-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

W1zzard Posted at 2018-2-11 19:42
We talk about panning, its same move on mavic or any other camera, ok i think i should make example with same shutter speed and fps on different cameras.

Yes, that would be handy.

2018-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

W1zzard Posted at 2018-2-11 19:42
We talk about panning, its same move on mavic or any other camera, ok i think i should make example with same shutter speed and fps on different cameras.

PS, a similar question was asked here https://forum.dji.com/thread-134804-1-1.html
2018-2-12
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, the choppy look is a  due to a combination of two things - firstly a high shutter speed, and secondly the 'rolling-shutter'. If you are shooting at 24fps then ideally you need a shutter speed of 1/50 of a second. This will help introduce motion blur - which makes for a more 'natural' look. (The human eye registers continuous light changes down to 1/6 of a second - so quite slow - and this is why we see things as choppy if the 'shutter' is faster than 1/6 of a second.) In addition to this the capture chip scans a frame from top to bottom over the period of one frame (1/24) and if the pan/yaw movement is fast you will see recorded a stepped scene - this looks more evident with high frequency and contrasted details in your shot (like the buildings in your footage). So to reduce these two artefacts, film with a slower shutter speed and pan the Mavic with a slower yaw. (You will read elsewhere about needing to use ND (Neutral Density) filters when lowering the shutter speed in order to control exposure while also setting the ISO to 100 - the Mavic camera aperture is fixed at f2.2, so lets a lot of light in on a bright day.)
2018-2-12
Use props
Aspa Midi
New
Greece

Hello, Its been a month I bought the Μavic Pro, I am a photographer in Greece (a lot of sun, especially in summer) and I am taking video of houses for rent near the beach. I am using ND filter 32 in order to shoot in day light with 30fps and 60 shutter speed. My problem is that I need to shoot a rocky beach for a client but I can not use the PL filter for the reflections on the sea due to the fact that I use the ND filter and I dont like the outcome. Any suggestions...
2018-7-15
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245013 ft
Denmark

Aspa Midi Posted at 2018-7-15 07:48
Hello, Its been a month I bought the Μavic Pro, I am a photographer in Greece (a lot of sun, especially in summer) and I am taking video of houses for rent near the beach. I am using ND filter 32 in order to shoot in day light with 30fps and 60 shutter speed. My problem is that I need to shoot a rocky beach for a client but I can not use the PL filter for the reflections on the sea due to the fact that I use the ND filter and I dont like the outcome. Any suggestions...

I guess you just need to use a combined filter - I have the Polar 6 pack of filters, and as ND filters lowers shutter speed the PL filters reduce glare (from water).

And in my pack some on them are a combined filter (ND16/PL)

Take a look here : https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... professional-6-pack
2018-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules