On or Off aircraft intelligent Battery Storage ?
4340 18 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Though I would throw this one out there given the importance of intelligent battery best practice. It's fairly common knowledge you do not keep lithium batteries stored on a full charge, the recommended storage is approximately 35% charge.  I would be grateful if you could answer the poll in the first instance and share your experience and understanding of the following questions - Does it make a difference given battery intelligence and the fact the switch on the battery is an off switch and not standby? Would leaving on the aircraft make a difference or stop the intelligent battery entering sleep mode. I hope the knowledge and feedback shared will help save forum readers a few pennies or cents if you prefer.

Single SelectVote, Total 58 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

29.31% (17)
27.59% (16)
43.10% (25)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-2-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Leaving it on the drone shouldn't make any difference to the auto discharge feature.  To me, if something WERE to happen to the battery, I'd rather it be away from the drone by a bit.  I have 3 batteries.  When I fly, I discharge each to 15-20%, remove them and drop them in my bag.  I leave them discharged.  The day before I go flying again, I pop them in the charger.  They are numbered, but use is totally random.  
2018-2-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

No doubt - I voted No 3. The drone were delivered with the battery mounted on it and as long as the battery is not turned on it makes no difference.
2018-2-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i think the same as flydk
2018-2-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Being a drone Newbie, but having lots of experience with all sorts of batteries.
I keep DJI smart batteries (Mavic Pro) inside safety storage bags.  

Having seen various types of batteries over the years, warp, leak, and blow-up (denting a steel panel).
I don't want batteries on expensive drone unless it is going flying.
2018-2-11
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Lipo batteries should be stored at 3.8 volts. What voltage is 15 percent?
2018-2-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-2-11 18:36
Lipo batteries should be stored at 3.8 volts. What voltage is 15 percent?

LiPo at 3.8 volts would be close to 40%.

According to this chart: https://oscarliang.com/ctt/uploa ... used-percentage.jpg
2018-2-11
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

I just did a test with the Mavic Air. 3.85v is pretty much right at 50 percent, 3.8 is just over 40 percent, and 15 percent was just over 3.6 volts.
Voltages were taken with the drone on but as few loads on as possible. No motors, recording or lights.
2018-2-11
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

How often should we top up the batteries if they are left in storage at 50% (i.e. how long does it take to drop low and need to be topped up)?
2018-2-12
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

I thought the whole point of them being "intelligent" was that it took away the worry of all this. They self discharge if left unused and go into hibernation as well.
2018-2-12
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-12 05:10
How often should we top up the batteries if they are left in storage at 50% (i.e. how long does it take to drop low and need to be topped up)?

My understanding is the battery will sit in storage or hibernation mode. I do not believe there is recommended period where they would require topping up. I charge and discharge the batteries every 2-3 months if unused, the theory being to maintain a level of activity all be it minimal. This also ensures that I can identify a problem with a Lipo  rather than at time I require them for flight. It would be interesting to hear if there is a definitive out there?   
2018-2-12
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Celsus Posted at 2018-2-12 06:09
My understanding is the battery will sit in storage or hibernation mode. I do not believe there is recommended period where they would require topping up. I charge and discharge the batteries every 2-3 months if unused, the theory being to maintain a level of activity all be it minimal. This also ensures that I can identify a problem with a Lipo  rather than at time I require them for flight. It would be interesting to hear if there is a definitive out there?

Thanks. I can't see it being a problem as I hope to be able to use it at least several times a month anyway.

I asked as I have several bike lights and other Li-ion powered devices that only see use in winter and therefore I charge them every month or so over the summer to maintain their charge and keep them tip top.
2018-2-12
Use props
rshah921
Second Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-2-11 13:42
Leaving it on the drone shouldn't make any difference to the auto discharge feature.  To me, if something WERE to happen to the battery, I'd rather it be away from the drone by a bit.  I have 3 batteries.  When I fly, I discharge each to 15-20%, remove them and drop them in my bag.  I leave them discharged.  The day before I go flying again, I pop them in the charger.  They are numbered, but use is totally random.

how do you intentionally discharge the batteries?
2018-2-12
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rshah921 Posted at 2018-2-12 07:51

Usually a short flight or the use of a usb charging hub to get the charge down to about 35%.
2018-2-12
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

rshah921 Posted at 2018-2-12 07:51

There are several ways.  
1.  Connect a battery to the drone and turn the drone on.  Leave it sit for a while.  Yes, the fan will run.  Just don't start the motors.  (Good way to review all the settings after a Firmware update)
2.  I have the adapter to connect to the battery with two USB outputs.  Connect to battery, connect to my phone or my Tablet, turn battery on.  Slower than turning on the drone but still effective.
3.  Worst case scenario.  Put the battery in the drone, carry out to my drive way.  Start the motors and hover for a while.  Boring, but effective.  
But my message said nothing about intentionally discharging the batteries.  I Fly with full batteries.  When the battery is down to 15-20%, I land, swap and continue to fly.  I return home with Dead (and cool) Batteries and don't charge them until the evening before I go flying again.

2018-2-12
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-2-11 14:27
Being a drone Newbie, but having lots of experience with all sorts of batteries.
I keep DJI smart batteries (Mavic Pro) inside safety storage bags.  

Completely agree.  All my LiPO's are stored in Ammo containers (without the ammo, of course).  I have a number of RC car/truck batteries that aren't "smart" (requiring storage discharge and cell balancing) in additon to MP and Spark batteries that are brought to the DJI recommended storage %'s before storing.  Guess I'm old school... for any batteries, long term storage should be removed from the appliance, toy, etc.  Why ruin the product with a bad battery (for whatever reason)!
2018-2-12
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Wyke Posted at 2018-2-12 05:17
I thought the whole point of them being "intelligent" was that it took away the worry of all this. They self discharge if left unused and go into hibernation as well.

That was my thinking as well.
2018-2-27
Use props
NJTech
New
United Kingdom

All lithium batteries should be stored just above nominal voltage. Leaving them stored at 20% is almost as bad as leaving them fully charged! 3.8v per cell is about perfect. Personally i would like to see the feature added to allow a shorter time than 10 days before auto discharge like the pro does, 10 days left at top voltage will slowly chip away at the internal resistance of the battery, gradually making its capacity less if you do this regularly. Good for DJI battery sales but less wallet friendly for you. Having flown RC quads/planes/helicopters for over two decades i have a lot of experience with good battery health practises and plenty of data for how much shorter they live/maintain capacitance/amp draw/low internal resistance etc if mistreated.
My advice is when you're done, if you have any unused, charged batteries use the power-bank battery adapter and discharge to around 60% (three lights) and these batteries will last you a very long time.
2018-3-3
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

NJTech Posted at 2018-3-3 11:57
All lithium batteries should be stored just above nominal voltage. Leaving them stored at 20% is almost as bad as leaving them fully charged! 3.8v per cell is about perfect. Personally i would like to see the feature added to allow a shorter time than 10 days before auto discharge like the pro does, 10 days left at top voltage will slowly chip away at the internal resistance of the battery, gradually making its capacity less if you do this regularly. Good for DJI battery sales but less wallet friendly for you. Having flown RC quads/planes/helicopters for over two decades i have a lot of experience with good battery health practises and plenty of data for how much shorter they live/maintain capacitance/amp draw/low internal resistance etc if mistreated.
My advice is when you're done, if you have any unused, charged batteries use the power-bank battery adapter and discharge to around 60% (three lights) and these batteries will last you a very long time.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules