Stolen Spark - Can you block? Recover?
8346 16 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jedx
lvl.2
Australia

I had an incident when I was new to using my Spark, took off before GPS had a fix... The strong wind took it around the corner of a building and it landed.

I ran towards the place it landed, it finally got a GPS fix, for a moment I saw the camera footage of a spiral driveway. After 30 seconds of running to the exact spot it had been taken and switched off.

Can DJI see if the serial number has been added to a new account?
It is from a fly-more set, I still have the accessories, controller, orginal box etc. Proof of purchase.

I would love to have it blocked, or even have DJI contact the new 'owner' to request it is returned for a refund if that is possible?

(It was lost in early January, I didnt think to post here until I saw others doing a similar thing).

SSID Spark-515b93
SN: 0ASDEB60A100VA

Thanks in advnace

Justin R.

2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Sorry that we can not help you block the spark. Please contact the local police station and let them help you with the case. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is sad to hear.
So far I have not seen DJI do this, but maybe you get lucky. (or I have missed something and they do in the background but don't communicate about it)
2018-2-12
Use props
Jedx
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-12 01:56
Hi, there. Sorry that we can not help you block the spark. Please contact the local police station and let them help you with the case. Thanks for your support.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... amp;fromuid=1435595

Can you do similar to what DJI Ken has done in this thread? I would be very grateful for your assistance.
2018-2-12
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Was it definitely stolen and not just crashed into a bush or something? If it was 'spiralling' down a driveway its quite possible the battery came loose which would explain why it shut down. Unless someone is familiar with DJI drones i doubt they'd know to do the short then long press turn-off procedure
2018-2-12
Use props
Jedx
lvl.2
Australia

100% stolen

After it landed I saw on my screen an image of a unique sign and corner of the concrete right in front of it and it was sitting still on the ground. Then as I was running to the spot the drone was picked up and switched off, I lost video (still with 50% battery). I know the exact spot within a few millimeters. Not crashed, not battery turned off. 100% someone picked it up, if they didnt know the turn off procedure they could have just pulled the battery... Very disappointed
2018-2-12
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Ok, there are a few posts talking about the fact that once you register, activate, your Spark with DJI, there is no way to transfer the thing to anyone else, and the syncing stays associated to your email/account. If this is true, you might eventually get some indicator as to where it is.
2018-2-12
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

that's a little bullsh..  from DJI side for just not helping that kind of cases!
I understand - that blocking/tracking without evidence is not possible (and should be not!) - but a more consumer friendly answer should be given here.

IMHO after going with this case to police, geting their report as proof that really happen and it's now marked as stolen, then show invoice which confirm user did buy it and is rightfull owner + a dji log/account check - there SHOULD be a option to block/find lost property.
we have to activate product online, stay connected/logged when flying, upload data to DJI if something happens, we can not de-register product when we part our ways with older models... - so with all this hassle/request from DJI side I would expect a real help in that kind of situation!
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-12 05:29
that's a little bullsh..  from DJI side for just not helping that kind of cases!
I understand - that blocking/tracking without evidence is not possible (and should be not!) - but a more consumer friendly answer should be given here.

I see your point, but look at it the other way.
If DJI starts doing these things (I know they probably can), they might get messed up in personal issues between users.
Very hard to tell if you tell the truth right?
Maybe you sold it?
I am not accusing you at all, but I can see why DJI does not want to do this.

Having said that, they could cooperate with the police in showing where the drone is etc.
But I think you can also.
As far as I know, the 'find my drone' should still work.
2018-2-12
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-12 04:10
Ok, there are a few posts talking about the fact that once you register, activate, your Spark with DJI, there is no way to transfer the thing to anyone else, and the syncing stays associated to your email/account. If this is true, you might eventually get some indicator as to where it is.

Have to tried the feature of track my drone, would it work in this scenario?  just a thought
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-12 06:21
Have to tried the feature of track my drone, would it work in this scenario?  just a thought

Same thoughts here
2018-2-12
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-12 06:00
I see your point, but look at it the other way.
If DJI starts doing these things (I know they probably can), they might get messed up in personal issues between users.
Very hard to tell if you tell the truth right?
Dear Mon.
Did You even read my whole post? or just read 1st line and drop Your opinion?

there is clearly written, that without evidence (police report+invoices+account log as base minimum)  I'm against any actions from DJI - as there would be danger of personal overuse etc... But when user can prove it really happen - then they should help!

and that kind of answer is what I would expect from DJI - something like:
Dear Mr. X, without any "hard" evidence we can not take any legal actions - but please follow that procedure (for example: step 1 police, step 2 deliver ownership documents 3. etc...) to support Your case. After our support team get and confirm all documents we will do a blacklist/tracking operations. EOT
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-12 13:44
Dear Mon.
Did You even read my whole post? or just read 1st line and drop Your opinion?

Yes, I read the whole lot.
As I stated, I am not accusing anybody of anything.
Just some thoughts on why DJI probably won't help in this way.

What I would hope DJI will do is implement a feature like apple has.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472
That is something that would be of great help I believe.
It won't help in this case, but maybe similar issues in the future.

And I really hope the OP gets his (?)  drone back. With or without the help from DJI.
But my best advice for now is use the 'Find My Drone' option.
2018-2-12
Use props
fans2181b925
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18776 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same happen to me I posted in another thread still trying to track my drone but the person who stole it has no battery’s yet if I can get an answer soon I’ll let you know. All I know is that DJI said to me an a email they can deactivate drone with serial number but that probable will cause the drone not to be found if possible with donde my drone option.
2018-3-6
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Jedx Posted at 2018-2-12 03:32
100% stolen

After it landed I saw on my screen an image of a unique sign and corner of the concrete right in front of it and it was sitting still on the ground. Then as I was running to the spot the drone was picked up and switched off, I lost video (still with 50% battery). I know the exact spot within a few millimeters. Not crashed, not battery turned off. 100% someone picked it up, if they didnt know the turn off procedure they could have just pulled the battery... Very disappointed

Sorry to hear as it happens to many but need to say one thing.  that is you had video until it was turned off so someone had to do. but,  how many know how to turn on or off a dji drone?  yes in time one would find out but if was quickly one would have to know about them. I will say if i ever found one would be like others on hear and try to find owner. but not all are good. Am sorry for you as i feel your pain of loosing your little guy. hope you do find it.
2018-3-6
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Sorry to tell you but if a Spark is stolen you can still used it
you can always unlock your Spark , and with a mod app you can fly.
2018-3-7
Use props
fans90b1b022
lvl.1
Flight distance : 594531 ft
Greece

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-12 06:21

I have tried the find my drone, but doesn't really work for this purpose (stolen) only really intended to work if crash landed and need it to make a noise so you can find it.

Needs to be connected to remote and on while you are looking for it.
2019-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules