Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Warning. New DJI assistant V1.2.2.827 Will Brick Spark
123Next >
10649 83 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have tested the new DJI assistant V1.2.2.827 for the Mac on my New Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4+ and my Spark.
The assistant fails to update the Flight Database on Air, Pro and P4 it reports it as an error and to contact customer support if it persists. This is for all except for the Spark. Unfortunately the failure on the Spark renders it unusable. It will no longer connect to DJI Assistant and will not bind with the RC. The device driver is working as the SD Card does connect.

I will be contacting Customer support. Fortunately it is under DJI Care.

Update: Other members have reported that they have bricked their Spark exactly the same way.

Current count: Now exceeds double digits.

2018-2-12
Use props
czechmark01
First Officer
Flight distance : 1078343 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the warning. Had previous versions worked on your Mac?
2018-2-12
Use props
rimza
Captain
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Thanks for the post.

Wonder how may users could have bricked their Spark. And if they did what is DJI stand on support for bricked spark due to software issue especially those outside of warranty.
2018-2-12
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I have had no issues with the previous version of the Assistant for the Mac. Both FW updates and Zone updates had been flawless.

When so many updates are done at once and one model is not part of the feature update that model becomes a risk. Thats when errors creep in as most likely Spark support of this assistant release was not properly tested. DJI must have known that The Zone updates were not working as the failure  was across all the models. But no impact to them it was just an error, and you could update the database from the App. But unfortunately the Spark......

What I do find amazing is that none of the models would accept a zone update they all reported an unexplained error. But the release was distributed anyway. I guess they were under pressure due to the poor initial performance of the air. I was very disappointed in mine at first but after applying the 2 FW updates its a great machine.

2018-2-12
Use props
czechmark01
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

My experience with DJI Assistant 2 for my Macs has been very unsatisfactory. I’ve never been able to see my flight logs or black box data although FW information was visible. I had to use iTunes to view flight logs.
2018-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

Thanks for the warning if this is indeed the case.
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

Can you try to reinstall the Assistant 2 Software from an Administrator on your computer? Are you using PC or Mac?
2018-2-12
Use props
czechmark01
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Where did you find the new version. The DJI support site shows Assistant 2 version as of 12-29-17 in the Spark section.
2018-2-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

czechmark01 Posted at 2018-2-12 08:06
Where did you find the new version. The DJI support site shows Assistant 2 version as of 12-29-17 in the Spark section.

It's in the Mavic Air downloads section. DJI put it there first since it has support for the Mavic Air added. They're a bit slow posting it across the whole product line.
2018-2-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

i don't use the DJI Assistant software as i had heard of people experiencing issues in the past.  i typically do all firmware update via wifi.  Hope you get this fixed quickly.
2018-2-12
Use props
Kansas Boy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-12 11:11
It's in the Mavic Air downloads section. DJI put it there first since it has support for the Mavic Air added. They're a bit slow posting it across the whole product line.

Perhaps it was not intended to be posted across the entire product line.  There may be a reason that it was only posted on the Mavic Air page since it causes errors and issues with their other products.  I would say that it might be a good idea to not assume that software is universal across their entire product line unless specifically stated by DJI.  

Even then their appears to be some communications problems across DJI's product teams when it comes to software.  There have been repeated issues with Go 4 revisions fixing a problem on one product and creating a new one on another DJI product.
2018-2-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kansas Boy Posted at 2018-2-12 11:31
Perhaps it was not intended to posted across the entire product line.  There may be a reason that it was only posted on the Mavic Air page since it causes errors and issues with their other products.  I would say that it might be a good idea to not assume that software is universal across their entire product line unless specifically stated by DJI.  

Even then their appears to be some communications problems across DJI's product teams when it comes to software.  There have been repeated issues with Go 4 revisions fixing a problem on one product and creating a new one on another DJI product.

I respectfully disagree. You can only have one version installed on your PC at a time and those of us that have several different drones need to be able to talk to all of them Therefore, I have the latest since it supports the Air. I personally have connected a Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro to the latest version (V1.2.2.827) with no issues at all.
2018-2-12
Use props
Kansas Boy
Second Officer
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-12 11:53
I respectfully disagree. You can only have one version installed on your PC at a time and those of us that have several different drones need to be able to talk to all of them Therefore, I have the latest since it supports the Air. I personally have connected a Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro to the latest version (V1.2.2.827) with no issues at all.

I agree with you that Assistant should work across all of DJI's products.  I am only pointing out how dangerous it is to make those kind of assumptions about DJI's software compatibility across their products.  It is not an uncommon issue and if a version is not posted on the support page for the product you are updating I suggest you should assume you are taking a compatibility risk.  To be safe.  Just my opinion based on my experence so far as a DJI product user.

So you have not had the same experience that the OP had with a compatibility issue with the Mavic Air DJI Assistant version causing issues updating other products?  
2018-2-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kansas Boy Posted at 2018-2-12 12:10
I agree with you that Assistant should work across all of DJI's products.  I am only pointing out how dangerous it is to make those kind of assumptions about DJI's software compatibility across their products.  It is not an uncommon issue and if a version is not posted on the support page for the product you are updating I suggest you should assume you are taking a compatibility risk.  To be safe.  Just my opinion based on my experence so far as a DJI product user.

So you have not had the same experience that the OP had with a compatibility issue with the Mavic Air DJI Assistant version causing issues updating other products?

Nope, I used it to update the NFZ on the Spark, firmware on the Goggles and both NFZ and FW on the Air, Pro and P4P this past week.
2018-2-12
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Wow what a waste of time
2018-2-12
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-12 11:53
I respectfully disagree. You can only have one version installed on your PC at a time and those of us that have several different drones need to be able to talk to all of them Therefore, I have the latest since it supports the Air. I personally have connected a Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro to the latest version (V1.2.2.827) with no issues at all.

It works fine as long as you don't update the Sparks Fly Zones database. Thats what killed mine.
2018-2-12
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-12 13:57
Nope, I used it to update the NFZ on the Spark, firmware on the Goggles and both NFZ and FW on the Air, Pro and P4P this past week.

What Version? can you post the version number it displays? OSX or Windows?
2018-2-12
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I have 2 versions of the assitant 2 on my PC, the old one for adjusting flight parameters of the Spark and Mavic Pro and the newest version to update FW(if applicable).
2018-2-13
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-13 04:49
I have 2 versions of the assitant 2 on my PC, the old one for adjusting flight parameters of the Spark and Mavic Pro and the newest version to update FW(if applicable).

Sounds like a good idea. I run VMware fusion on my Mac so could also run multiple copies of windows.

I just didn't think I would need to. Never had any issues previously.
2018-2-13
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-12 22:59
What Version? can you post the version number it displays? OSX or Windows?

the latest version (V1.2.2.827) on Windows 10.
2018-2-13
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-12 22:58
It works fine as long as you don't update the Sparks Fly Zones database. Thats what killed mine.

If it bricked your Spark, I'm thinking I'm not going to try anything to see if it works or not.
2018-2-13
Use props
Kansas Boy
Second Officer
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-13 06:31
If it bricked your Spark, I'm thinking I'm not going to try anything to see if it works or not.

You have used the new version running under Windows 10 to update your Spark and had no issues.  The OP had issues with the new version running in an iOS environment.   I may go ahead and install the new version in Windows and I will wait to install the iOS version until it is posted on the support pages for the DJI drones I own.
2018-2-13
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Kansas Boy Posted at 2018-2-13 06:52
You have used the new version running under Windows 10 to update your Spark and had no issues.  The OP had issues with the new version running in an iOS environment.   I may go ahead and install the new version in Windows and I will wait to install the iOS version until it is posted on the support pages for the DJI drones I own.

Yes thats correct its the Mac OSX version that I was running.

OSX High Sierra 10.13.3

2018-2-13
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-13 06:28
the latest version (V1.2.2.827) on Windows 10.

Ok Thanks.

That means that it is either Machine Specific. Mine.
Or OSX Specific with the latest version of High Sierra. 10.13.3

I will let DJI Support know that when I return my Spark under DJI care Refresh.
2018-2-13
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-13 07:33
Yes thats correct its the Mac OSX version that I was running.

OSX High Sierra 10.13.3

Bad news for Mac users, but good news for us Windows users. I suspect that's why mine worked. Now I won't be afraid if an update comes out for the Spark. I was concerned that maybe I was just lucky the last time.
2018-2-13
Use props
Kansas Boy
Second Officer
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-13 07:37
Ok Thanks.

That means that it is either Machine Specific. Mine.

Sure looks like that may be the case based on the posts in this thread.
2018-2-13
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-13 05:56
Sounds like a good idea. I run VMware fusion on my Mac so could also run multiple copies of windows.

I just didn't think I would need to. Never had any issues previously.

Don't have to, rename the old assitant to an other name and install new version
2018-2-13
Use props
stevecurrie
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

I totally just did this last night at 7pm.  Used the newest Assistant and my Spark is bricked. I was updating to sell it today at 5 pm.  What a shame.  I am very disappointed.  It said it needed to update fly zones.  For 3 hours I tried various things with the help  of a very knowledgeable DJI friend but to no avail.  Should I wait to return if a new Assistant would fix or send it away for 6 weeks to just get another one in the mail ?
2018-2-13
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

Brick? can you still connect it to assisstant?
2018-2-13
Use props
stevecurrie
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Assistant will not recognize the Spark at all now.  
2018-2-13
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

you have Pm
2018-2-13
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

if you're using windows, check in device manager for the port
2018-2-13
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-13 08:16
Don't have to, rename the old assitant to an other name and install new version
[view_image]

That wont work. Windows will overwrite the DLLs of the earlier version in System directory.

Windows apps  are not monolithic and use shared Dlls.

2018-2-13
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

stevecurrie Posted at 2018-2-13 08:28
I totally just did this last night at 7pm.  Used the newest Assistant and my Spark is bricked. I was updating to sell it today at 5 pm.  What a shame.  I am very disappointed.  It said it needed to update fly zones.  For 3 hours I tried various things with the help  of a very knowledgeable DJI friend but to no avail.  Should I wait to return if a new Assistant would fix or send it away for 6 weeks to just get another one in the mail ?

Thats a pity, did you use a Mac? And what country are you in. I am suspecting that its not just the Spark and assistant version but the actual database for your location.

The status of the Bricked spark is that it switches on like normal. Does it self tests a and flashes yellow as if its waiting for the TX to connect.

The TX will never connect and it will not be recognised again by the Assistant ap..

You PC / Mac will recognise the Sparks on board SD-Card load the correct Device driver and mount the SD card as a removable media device.

I tried pressing and holding the Battery button for 3 seconds and waited for the beep to say it was ready to bind to the TX. But it just sits there flashing all 4 battery lights till you let go the button.

Status = Bricked. Not recoverable.
2018-2-13
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-13 22:49
That wont work. Windows will overwrite the DLLs of the earlier version in System directory.

Windows apps  are not monolithic and use shared Dlls.
off topic but....
Works perfectly on windows 10 !!
2018-2-14
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-14 00:31
off topic but....
Works perfectly on windows 10 !!

Gee I should go to his video and and warn him. Or you can copy the info from here.

If you watch when he opens the Folder of the original app you will see a bunch of .dlls. These are Dynamic Link Libraries.

When you load that application version in this directory it will load those .DLLs in the DLL processor cache.

These are cached and not unloaded when the app exits.

When he installs and runs the newer App. The previous versions .DLL is be used for the new app. as they have already been loaded.

You can get around this by invoking a technology called Fusion. I worked on it with Microsoft years ago.
If you create an empty file in the directory with the App and the Dlls and name it "APPNAME".local

Use the "APPNAME" name of the application executable. The .local extension in this blank file creates a semaphore to the DLL caching system to isolate these Dlls for that application and directory path.

It is often referred to as Side by Side dll.

This caching issue used to be referred to in the industry as "DLL Hell."

This prevents mixing of DLLs that causes  app instability and crashes.

The other way is to reboot your machine completely after using one of the apps before using the other.

Cheers
2018-2-14
Use props
Jos A
Captain
Netherlands

thanks for the info
2018-2-14
Use props
stevecurrie
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-13 22:58
Thats a pity, did you use a Mac? And what country are you in. I am suspecting that its not just the Spark and assistant version but the actual database for your location.

The status of the Bricked spark is that it switches on like normal. Does it self tests a and flashes yellow as if its waiting for the TX to connect.

Hi there, in Canada and used a PC the first time to try it. Bricked and would not be recognised by Assistant 2 on that PC. Went to my Mac and tried to have Spark recognised  by the Mac. No luck. Went back to PC , deleted Assistant 2 and then reloaded Assistant 2 and cold booted machine, plugged in Spark no change  , still not recognised.  I tried holding the power button several times for the 3, the 6, the 9 and even 15 seconds and nothing changes. No ready to pair sound , no change in lights..Nada. It self test for about 2 seconds and goes into the back lights flashing rapid yellow and front solid red despite 15 various reboots
2018-2-14
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Assistant bricked my Spark too. I have sent mine back to be serviced. I ran assistant on a Mac. It was the version on the Mavic Air’s Download page.
2018-2-14
Use props
stevecurrie
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

rimza Posted at 2018-2-12 06:57
Thanks for the post.

Wonder how may users could have bricked their Spark. And if they did what is DJI stand on support for bricked spark due to software issue especially those outside of warranty.

I can tell you I wrote them yesterday to start an RMA and they did not even email me back yet. Dissapointed. Called and was told to wait an email response. Still waiting . Next step I guess is a widely distributed Youtube video to warn others of this rendering their Flymore investment a $700 doorstop.
2018-2-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules