NO Fly zone to fly indoors?
13311 38 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfdb5646d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70827 ft
United States

Hi, I need to shoot a Vid on the inside of a Motorcycle Dealer that is located on a Red No Fly Zone.  I did all the procedure and send to Dji the request but it was denied since I need a document that allows me to fly at this zone.
I don't know how to obtain that document, besides I only want to fly for 5 minutes inside of the building.  
is there any set up that make me do this?  like for example the beginers mode??
thanks
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fly without a mobile device - just the RC and AC only. I strongly suggest using prop guards and do NOT fly outside of the building under any circumstances. Also, ensure you have the consent of the dealer and every single person inside the building at the time you fly - especially customers who have privacy rights!  
2018-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Do you really need to fly, or can you attach the Mavic to a long boom and pretend to fly? You'll still get stabilized video and won't have to worry about damages.
2018-2-12
Use props
fansfdb5646d
lvl.1
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-12 14:33
Fly without a mobile device - just the RC and AC only. I strongly suggest using prop guards and do NOT fly outside of the building under any circumstances. Also, ensure you have the consent of the dealer and every single person inside the building at the time you fly - especially customers who have privacy rights!

ok, I'll try that,  I work at this dealer and we want to do this as an advertising,   since the building is high enough it won't be a problem,  thanks a lot though
2018-2-12
Use props
fansfdb5646d
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-12 14:38
Do you really need to fly, or can you attach the Mavic to a long boom and pretend to fly? You'll still get stabilized video and won't have to worry about damages.

yes . the idea is to have great aerial shoots for the showroom.  thanks..
2018-2-12
Use props
fansfdb5646d
lvl.1
United States

Fly without a mobile device - just the RC and AC only. I strongly suggest using prop guards and do NOT fly outside of the building under any circumstances. Also, ensure you have the consent of the dealer and every single person inside the building at the time you fly - especially customers who have privacy rights!

although I'm not sure the mavick air can do that,  I know the mavic pro can since I had one and did it, but on the air I'm not so sure.  i'll find out.
2018-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fansfdb5646d Posted at 2018-2-12 14:43
although I'm not sure the mavick air can do that,  I know the mavic pro can since I had one and did it, but on the air I'm not so sure.  i'll find out.

I think the FlySafe database is stored on the RC, possibly even the AC.
2018-2-12
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

If you are within a DJI Flysafe red zone it is probably Class B Airspace and you will not even be able to start the motors, the documentation DJI is referring to is a COA (Certificate of Authorization) provided by the FAA here in the USA. To obtain one of those you must be Part 107 certified remote pilot sUAS, apply for a waiver, once the waiver is approved you will receive the COA.

As EXMach says much safer to pole the Mavic (maybe an extendable pole like a pool skimming pole) with a good solid mount for the MP.
2018-2-12
Use props
Sim-Y
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75502 ft
United Kingdom

Couldn't you block the GPS on the drone with say a crisp packet, then turn GPS off on your mobile, wouldn't that allow you to fly in at atti mode? Not that I would condone such behaviour.
2018-2-12
Use props
fansfdb5646d
lvl.1
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-12 14:49
If you are within a DJI Flysafe red zone it is probably Class B Airspace and you will not even be able to start the motors, the documentation DJI is referring to is a COA (Certificate of Authorization) provided by the FAA here in the USA. To obtain one of those you must be Part 107 certified remote pilot sUAS, apply for a waiver, once the waiver is approved you will receive the COA.

As EXMach says much safer to pole the Mavic (maybe an extendable pole like a pool skimming pole) with a good solid mount for the MP.

wow , that seems like too much paperwork just to do a favor to the owner.    I'll try the no phone flight and hope for the best.
2018-2-12
Use props
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

Very cool. Thanks for the info. This will probably come up for me as well and I did not even know you could do that.
Most all private property indoors will be fair game as long as you have permission, is that correct?
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The FAA have no jurisdiction over indoor airspace. Hence why I emphasised he must not fly outside the building under any circumstances (or the OP could get into very serious trouble). Only privacy and trespass laws apply - unless he crashes into someone of course! Personally, I wouldn’t bother as the risk of crashing is greater indoors. Not using device will also mean that you can’t see or line up the images - you won’t even know if it’s in focus. Kind of pointless but one way to take off.  
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And the range in any direction will be restricted to 99’ too. Also, without a device you won’t be able to calibrate anything.
2018-2-12
Use props
fansfdb5646d
lvl.1
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-12 15:00
The FAA have no jurisdiction over indoor airspace. Hence why I emphasised he must not fly outside the building under any circumstances (or the OP could get into very serious trouble). Only privacy and trespass laws apply - unless he crashes into someone of course! Personally, I wouldn’t bother as the risk of crashing is greater indoors. Not using device will also mean that you can’t see or line up the images - you won’t even know if it’s in focus. Kind of pointless but one way to take off.

It seems that it can't be done on the mavic air since there is  no wifi /rc switch like on the pro.  so it seems that i won't make it anyway!!
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably for the best - I can just imagine your bosses face when your drone crashes into a line up of Harley’s... use your phone or get a katana for the drone to be hand held.
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just researched this a little more online and it does appear that NFZ’s are now built into the AC via FW. I believe you will not be able to take off even with a MP indoors without the device now. Steer well clear of those red circles.
2018-2-12
Use props
NebbyChico
lvl.2

United States

It won't have GPS signal inside the building so how will it know that it is in the no fly zone?
2018-2-12
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

Alternatively, you can go into developer mode and remove restrictions.
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please kindly provide the info needed to unlock the drone. You can contact the local administrators for the relative document, or send your questions back to flysafe email, we would like to help. Thank you.
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Fly without a mobile device - just the RC and AC only. I strongly suggest using prop guards and do NOT fly outside of the building under any circumstances. Also, ensure you have the consent of the dealer and every single person inside the building at the time you fly - especially customers who have privacy rights!

Hey A CW, I would like to correct this. The drone has GPS module, once the drone itself detects it is in the No Fly Zone, it will lock itself automatically, it doesn't relate to the mobile device. Thank you for supporting.
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-12 20:03
Hey A CW, I would like to correct this. The drone has GPS module, once the drone itself detects it is in the No Fly Zone, it will lock itself automatically, it doesn't relate to the mobile device. Thank you for supporting.

Hi Thor - yeah, I realised that and updated my response in post number 16 having read a little more on it. Thanks for clarifying.
2018-2-12
Use props
TrueSix
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1265876 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get a Race drone and put a GoPro on it.  Or find a decent toy one that does 1080p. Just suggestions. No one should have the right to control what you do indoors.  
2018-8-3
Use props
Gimbali
First Officer
Flight distance : 1086276 ft

I've never used it so I'm not sure, but wouldn't the app Fake GPS be useful for something like this?
2018-8-5
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Why don't you go outside the nfz and hover the mavic there. Turn it off and turn it on inside the building (in a room that prevents gps signal)
2018-8-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

If you're a part 107 (which legally you'd need to be as its commercial) then submitting the plan along with authorisation from the premises along with the usual paperwork and they'll grant it.
Then just supply that to DJI.

A drone is totally the wrong tool for the job anyway.  An Osmo or gimbal with a fixed camera will yield far far better results.

2018-8-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

eried Posted at 2018-8-5 03:47
Why don't you go outside the nfz and hover the mavic there. Turn it off and turn it on inside the building (in a room that prevents gps signal)

Becuase you'll get patchy, inaccurate GPS when the signal gets weak meaning the drone is going to move all over the place and likely crash into something.
2018-8-5
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Inside building without GPS how can Mavic know you are in NFZ? If turn the mobile device to airplane mode it also unable to get the position information. You may try to see can you take off in this way. You may need to turn the mobile device to airplane mode before enter the NFZ.
2018-8-5
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-5 04:21
Becuase you'll get patchy, inaccurate GPS when the signal gets weak meaning the drone is going to move all over the place and likely crash into something.

You won't. The drone is not going to switch positions because there is no gps when starting the flight. Worse case is that the drone is going to land if it gets reliable gps signal (because the NFZ). But if you start flying in ATTI or OPTI, getting gps is not going to move the drone all over the place.
2018-8-6
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

An other option is, You can use a mod go app to block NFZ and deleted NFZ from your mavic pro. But don't upgrade to latest FW.0400 because you don't have root access any more.
2018-8-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

eried Posted at 2018-8-6 00:19
You won't. The drone is not going to switch positions because there is no gps when starting the flight. Worse case is that the drone is going to land if it gets reliable gps signal (because the NFZ). But if you start flying in ATTI or OPTI, getting gps is not going to move the drone all over the place.

Its more likely to get a partial gps at times, especially if there are windows and doors.  A weak gps is going to cause it to move around within a large circle.
2018-8-6
Use props
djiuser_3zzbB2eFj9Qn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56903 ft
United States

With all other concerns aside is there a way to get your drone unlocked legally, safely by DJI to fly only indoors in an NFZ.  I would like to use my drone to capture machines in use at heights and angles that would be extremely problematic using conventional methods such as large jibs, cranes etc.  
AN FAA waiver would be an option but since I am not in FAA airspace, I was hoping for a quicker solution.
Any insights would be appreciated

Roy (Licensed and insured)
2018-9-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

djiuser_3zzbB2eFj9Qn Posted at 2018-9-7 08:54
With all other concerns aside is there a way to get your drone unlocked legally, safely by DJI to fly only indoors in an NFZ.  I would like to use my drone to capture machines in use at heights and angles that would be extremely problematic using conventional methods such as large jibs, cranes etc.  
AN FAA waiver would be an option but since I am not in FAA airspace, I was hoping for a quicker solution.
Any insights would be appreciated

I think a waiver is your only option -- DJI is unlikely to take your word that you will only fly inside.
2018-9-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-9-7 09:02
I think a waiver is your only option -- DJI is unlikely to take your word that you will only fly inside.

This is the main reason.    Unlocking without a waiver is a huge liability nightmare that DJI will not touch with a 10 foot pole.    Rightly so.
2018-9-7
Use props
djiuser_3zzbB2eFj9Qn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56903 ft
United States

Yes agreed - I think a waiver is my only viable option.  Thanks
2018-9-7
Use props
Twiggy-Fpv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27520 ft

Step 1: Place foil tape or some other RF shielding Material over back of the MA
Step 2: Download Fake GPS app for Android
Step 3 : Set location outside of known geozone in faker app and ensure phone is in airplane mode
Step 4 : Profit.... but fly at own risk ensure RTH is set to hover

Don't condone but undersatand exactly where you are coming from as far as dji's geofence is concerned and blocking users from making money .....  FTW
Ps this works for all DJI drones and will need to be proficient at flying w/o GPS Hold... just make sure your Drone is properly shielded grom all GPS otherwisse if it picks them up it will go into auto land  
2018-9-14
Use props
DJAurand
lvl.1
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-5 04:21
If you're a part 107 (which legally you'd need to be as its commercial) then submitting the plan along with authorisation from the premises along with the usual paperwork and they'll grant it.
Then just supply that to DJI.

That's what I was thinking
2019-3-10
Use props
DJAurand
lvl.1
United States

I'd think an Osmo would work better
2019-3-10
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-3-11
Use props
fansa8ec289e
New

Netherlands

It's a bit late to reply, but I wonder why no one has poste the most obvious/easiest thing to do yet.

So here it is, the easiest thing to do to fly indoor (at least when using iOS) in a building within an Authorization Zone, is to just do this:
1) Quit the DJI Go 4 app, and shut down Mavic and controller.
2) Disable Location services entirely on your iPhone/iPad (Settings > Privacy > Location services), and on top of that enable Airplane mode (this might not be needed, but works anyway).
3) Relaunch the DJI Go 4 app, and turn everything back on.
Given that the Mavic itself already has no GPS reception indoors (at least, if the roof is thick enough or has steel structure), it will now just fly and you will be able to do the indoor shots you need. Just tested and this works fine.
2019-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules