Whistling motors/props
481 5 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Franko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23255 ft
United States

Just purchased a slightly used Phantom 4. Took it out today for the first time. It was pretty windy out and noticed a steady whistling coming from the props. Is this normal? I have a P#P and have never heard any whistling noises from that one.
2018-2-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Some aircraft whistle, others don't. It is not unknown and it is not a fault. No concern.

2018-2-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Normal I would say, I'd probably be more concerned if it stopped :-)
2018-2-12
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the info. Not sure if it whistles during a calm day or just when its windy. If this winter ever settles down I will find out!
2018-2-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Have you tried changing the props around, each pair to the diagonally opposite motor? It may make no difference, but could it potentially change the turbulence around the craft, even though the props are balanced pairs?   No scientific basis for this, just curious.
2018-2-13
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-13 05:58
Have you tried changing the props around, each pair to the diagonally opposite motor? It may make no difference, but could it potentially change the turbulence around the craft, even though the props are balanced pairs?   No scientific basis for this, just curious.

Funny the rotors actually whistle or sound like they are ringing without the props installed,
2018-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules