Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Unstable when dropping altitude?
2468 18 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

I only have one flight under my belt, and no time right now to retest this, but has anybody else noticed a sort of unstable rocking as the air is descending? I was happy with how it performed everywhere else, but in descent it had these noticeable rocking moves side to side. I saw it mostly just with my eyes and not in my video but just curious if others saw this behavior. I’d say winds were about 10-15 miles per hour. Thanks.
2018-2-12
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

This may be no more than you would expect from a drone descending into its own prop wash. I get it on my Mavic pro. you can hear the motors trying to rapidly adjust.
2018-2-12
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

This may be no more than you would expect from a drone descending into its own prop wash. I get it on my Mavic pro. you can hear the motors trying to rapidly adjust.
2018-2-12
Use props
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

RocketChap Posted at 2018-2-12 16:51
This may be no more than you would expect from a drone descending into its own prop wash. I get it on my Mavic pro. you can hear the motors trying to rapidly adjust.

Thank you for the reply. YEah I am not very experienced, that sounds exactly like what it was, just lowering in the instability of the air below it. Thanks again.
2018-2-12
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

It’s probably trying to avoid a vortex ring stall which was common on older phantoms
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please ensure that the drone has updated to the latest firmware, try to do an IMU and compass calibration, keep the sticks controlling smoothly. See if it helps to optimize the issue. Or you can provide us with a video so we can help to confirm. Thanks.
2018-2-12
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed this with every drone I have flown.
2018-2-12
Use props
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-12 21:38
I have noticed this with every drone I have flown.

Thanks. I gotta say I did not notice this with the spark, which is the only other drone I’ve flown. Maybe because it has a slower descent rate?
2018-2-12
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My Mavics do the same. As mentioned above it is probably the aircraft trying to remain stable in its own downwash. A bit more forward movement should reduce it.
2018-2-12
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

cantflyalick Posted at 2018-2-12 22:39
Thanks. I gotta say I did not notice this with the spark, which is the only other drone I’ve flown. Maybe because it has a slower descent rate?

No, it gets worse with a faster descent rate which I think is why the Spark and other "Camera" drones descent slower. The faster it descends, the less power it has to work with to remain level.
2018-2-12
Use props
drown84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176312 ft
United States

This is why I always decend with some forward speed...not a good idea to come straight down with a drone, really unstable.
2018-2-13
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36158 ft
Slovenia

drown84 Posted at 2018-2-13 00:16
This is why I always decend with some forward speed...not a good idea to come straight down with a drone, really unstable.

i mostly land my Mavic PRO verticaly but i did notice this behavior but ignored it becouse drone  was quite stable
2018-2-13
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

When descending rapidly try slipping sideways to avoid your propwash.
2018-2-13
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

I have noticed it happening, more so with the MA than with the Spark. I don't see it visually so much as I can definitely at times hear the rotor RPM/speed variations as it compensates as necessary while coming straight down, which I sometimes do when setting up for a specific shot so I know exactly where the AC will be and therefore just what the "reveal" will be looking at in the terminal phase of landing. Haven't tried a really fast descent, but I can certainly see from the physics involved where that would likely make it worse (e.g., coming down really quick in sports mode). FWIW, I have never to date seen any sign of it in the (stablized) camera footage, tho. Good ideas to translate a bit while coming down to minimize descending thru your own turbulent prop wash.
2018-2-13
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is definitely prop wash.
Unless it is windy, always move slightly forward when descending.
I never fly backward when descending. This can get dangerously close to a CSC which may shut down the motors.
2018-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

You are experiencing spiral slipstreaming in fluid colloquialy known as a propwash effect. That pretty much means you are descending your bird wrong. Counter measures are already given above.
2018-2-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Google "Vortex Ring State."  In early models and in some Helicopters, descending too fast straight down can cause the aircraft to crash.  
2018-2-13
Use props
fans473e667d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 620600 ft
Singapore

This will only happen if you descend fast especially in sport mode
2018-2-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Brad nailed it.  Look up VRS.  It has crashed many helicopters when pilots didn't catch it in time.  Sounds like you were descending too fast.  As others have said, do some horizontal flying while descending for more stability.
2018-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules