I'm a professional videographer, not a professional drone operator.
854 24 2018-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

But I still made a winter review video.

Now it is a long video, but you're hopefully not a bunch of coked up 12 yr olds and can sit still and offer some critique on my work.

Again, the video is long and if that is your critique then DO NOT watch it.

There are minor ticks I'm aware of but I mostly just want people to relax and watch.

Ok, now a very similar video with some re-arranging and editing. Because you guys were sports about watching the long one.

(this one is shorter)

2018-2-12
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice ! Thanks for sharing !
2018-2-12
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-2-12 18:29
Nice ! Thanks for sharing !

Any advice?
2018-2-12
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

Smooth, cold and beautiful. Respect to your freezing fingers!
You've been flying a lot, judging by the weather change.
The trick with the connection tower at 1/3 on the left is good. But due to the acceleration of its well shook in the frame - maybe it should not be accelerated ...
40 seconds of night at the end - so it was conceived?
2018-2-12
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

I watched it all the way through. What is the go with the 40 odd seconds of dead air at the end.?
The main critique point I could give you is the one you asked not to get, so I'll leave it at that.
The time lapse, both of them do not suit the music, nor the clip. They simply don't need to be there.
I'm not a big fan of downward revolves, so I disliked your first one. However the second one was interesting as it followed the road. I liked that one!
Smooth transitions, smooth flying, very nice.
Very cool! Literally!
2018-2-12
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I won't critique your video skills as those are obvious. However, a couple of things I will mention is the overhead rotating shots need to be smoother and in a couple of places, the horizon was not level.
You just need to practice the circling movement and the easiest way to to that is with crossed controls. So it is both stick towards the centre or both stick towards the outside so that the nose is always facing the centre and the drone yaws around it. The sticks in or out just determine the direction of rotation. When you get good at it, you can control the size of the circle.
2018-2-12
Use props
Soloflight79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546138 ft
United States

Wasn’t a fan of the beginning felt like it needed a focal point, then the street with the cars turning through me off subject, the tower cool but what brought me in was looking down gliding over the tree tops, that should be closer to the intro everything else was good and enough to keep me interested
2018-2-12
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2018-2-12 21:03
Smooth, cold and beautiful. Respect to your freezing fingers!
You've been flying a lot, judging by the weather change.
The trick with the connection tower at 1/3 on the left is good. But due to the acceleration of its well shook in the frame - maybe it should not be accelerated ...

Thanks for the input! There are a few issues I'm working on but personally, I'm mostly happy with the video.

The tower was an attempt at timelapse on a freezing day, as for the dead air at the end I'm didn't catch how long the sequence was before exporting.
2018-2-12
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-2-12 21:56
I watched it all the way through. What is the go with the 40 odd seconds of dead air at the end.?
The main critique point I could give you is the one you asked not to get, so I'll leave it at that.
The time lapse, both of them do not suit the music, nor the clip. They simply don't need to be there.

I agree on the time-lapses but I wanted to add them for giggles. The dead air is my bad for not cutting the sequence off before export.

I appreciate the compliments and the advice!
2018-2-12
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-2-12 21:58
I won't critique your video skills as those are obvious. However, a couple of things I will mention is the overhead rotating shots need to be smoother and in a couple of places, the horizon was not level.
You just need to practice the circling movement and the easiest way to to that is with crossed controls. So it is both stick towards the centre or both stick towards the outside so that the nose is always facing the centre and the drone yaws around it. The sticks in or out just determine the direction of rotation. When you get good at it, you can control the size of the circle.

I've been working a lot on the pitch, yaw, pans, and smooth rotation.  Trying to do it manually without using the cheat mode.

I appreciate your input.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Some very nice footage you have made
A few points (little ones) from my side:
the timelapse shot at 1:35 is al  too shaky with the tower in front and too long with nothing happening really.
4:20 is too high on contrast
5:33 some transition error
But in general very nice work!
2018-2-12
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-2-12 22:33
I've been working a lot on the pitch, yaw, pans, and smooth rotation.  Trying to do it manually without using the cheat mode.

I appreciate your input.

Every time I have tried to rotate, it comes out looking choppy unless I'm moving to the side a little at the same time.
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Your video is awesome!!!
2018-2-13
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

DJI Grace Posted at 2018-2-13 00:14
Your video is awesome!!!

Thank you.
2018-2-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-2-12 22:30
Thanks for the input! There are a few issues I'm working on but personally, I'm mostly happy with the video.

The tower was an attempt at timelapse on a freezing day, as for the dead air at the end I'm didn't catch how long the sequence was before exporting.

Depending on your software, you can get it to "stabalise" the time lapse. If you shoot the time lapse as full size images, it gives you plenty of resolution to stabalise it in software and crop down for the final video. If you do that, it would look good
2018-2-13
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Personally, too much of the same, I'm not talking about the length, I could watch videos of trees all day. My critique is to unleash your creativity and think out side of the box, do some riskier shots, not necessarily faster but something different that's not so common. The tower scene was interesting but not for this video, same with the car scene. Cut out all the jerky movements, you have loads of smooth perfect footage so the jerky bits are not needed detract from the perfect bits. Your exposure was spot on 99% too but maybe consider putting the twilight scenes in a separate video. Hopefully that doesn't come across harsh but you've got the skills and I'm sure you can make some next level stuff. Cheers.
2018-2-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice video. Nothing further to add to the other comments. Keep it up!
2018-2-13
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Hehe!! The edit is great!!! You listened to everyone!!!
Still too long, some of the shots were very similar, and if I may....
I thought you were doing it at the start, but then you drifted off, and I realised you weren't doing it..!!
You have a perfect metronome in that music!!! Short 'DANG>>DANG'  next scene.... 'DANG DANG. next etc etc!!
But great improvement matey!!
2018-2-13
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-2-13 02:38
Hehe!! The edit is great!!! You listened to everyone!!!
Still too long, some of the shots were very similar, and if I may....
I thought you were doing it at the start, but then you drifted off, and I realised you weren't doing it..!!

The first one was done in final cut pro so to improve I did the next one in premiere. I personally like the long slow pans, I know it's not attractive to viewers.
2018-2-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-2-13 02:41
The first one was done in final cut pro so to improve I did the next one in premiere. I personally like the long slow pans, I know it's not attractive to viewers.

Nailed it    
2018-2-13
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The second one is loads better, a couple of jerky pans still though (2mins in). You could probably smooth them with Warp Stabiliser on those frames. The last downward scene is my favourite and most interesting to me. Cheers.
2018-2-13
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-2-13 02:51
The second one is loads better, a couple of jerky pans still though (2mins in). You could probably smooth them with Warp Stabiliser on those frames. The last downward scene is my favourite and most interesting to me. Cheers.

My MacBook pro says hell no. It is a solid editing laptop but the warp stabilizer seriously makes it work.
2018-2-13
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-2-13 02:54
My MacBook pro says hell no. It is a solid editing laptop but the warp stabilizer seriously makes it work.

I know what you mean!! It's probably only 500 frames so you might be alright! Probably not worth it though, I'm just being picky as you asked for critique. That's all I have
2018-2-13
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
United States

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-2-13 02:59
I know what you mean!! It's probably only 500 frames so you might be alright! Probably not worth it though, I'm just being picky as you asked for critique. That's all I have

I need some coffee and a more powerful computer.

I usually find that I can't find errors in the footage until I export because the mac doesn't play clips in the timeline properly.
2018-2-13
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

MaineMavick Posted at 2018-2-13 03:01
I need some coffee and a more powerful computer.

I usually find that I can't find errors in the footage until I export because the mac doesn't play clips in the timeline properly.

I feel your pain! Just never enough time in the day.
2018-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules