Mavic Air yaws right
5909 34 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JBryant02
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47211 ft
United States

Loving this little thing so far, but have been fighting a slight yaw to the right since day one.  Makes getting long shots hard to get because i'm fighting to keep it straight and smooth.  i can fire it up inside and it'll hover rock steady.  I've tried calibrating the compass and IMU and it still does the same thing.
2018-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Check the propellers. Might be loose/damaged.
2018-2-13
Use props
JBryant02
lvl.3
United States

Props are in good shape, no wiggle.  

When doing a compass calibration, should the Air be on it's side, or nose down for the second spin?  Go 4 is telling me on it's side, while the manual and everything else is saying nose down...
2018-2-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JBryant02 Posted at 2018-2-13 14:50
Props are in good shape, no wiggle.  

When doing a compass calibration, should the Air be on it's side, or nose down for the second spin?  Go 4 is telling me on it's side, while the manual and everything else is saying nose down...

Imu should take care of this, if it’s still moving right (yawing) you could try RC calibration.
2018-2-13
Use props
towheaded-pilot1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know if this is the same issue but I have noticed when taking off to a hover, I get a very small yaw stutter to the right. Sometimes happens a few times at random.
2018-2-13
Use props
djiuser_92YLMGwz6Uj9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 314980 ft
United States

I’ve had the same issue
2018-2-13
Use props
KayvinM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 147352 ft
Canada

I've had the same issue where it would unexpectedly start yawing left or right mid flight. Try recalibrating your IMU but make sure you do it on a level surface.  
2018-2-13
Use props
kwad vision
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue. Always yaws to the right right after take off but the problem stops on its own after the initial take off. This has happened at least 12 times. I dont think it is a cold hardware issue as it happens after coming right out of my warm house or car. I spent almost 2 hours on chat support with no resolution...they said a manager would call but no one has followed up with me. DJI CS and QC is a total disappointment. I have built over 20 racing drones and have purchased a competitor's photography drone...so I was hoping that my first DJI would not be just another inferior Chinese product/service but I have been let down. SUCKS!
2018-2-26
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

kwad vision Posted at 2018-2-26 16:20
I have the same issue. Always yaws to the right right after take off but the problem stops on its own after the initial take off. This has happened at least 12 times. I dont think it is a cold hardware issue as it happens after coming right out of my warm house or car. I spent almost 2 hours on chat support with no resolution...they said a manager would call but no one has followed up with me. DJI CS and QC is a total disappointment. I have built over 20 racing drones and have purchased a competitor's photography drone...so I was hoping that my first DJI would not be just another inferior Chinese product/service but I have been let down. SUCKS!

Welcome to the club!
DJI has ignored this problem on the Mavic Pro for over a year. Seems the same problem is occurring on the Mavic Air too.

Here are some threads on the subject:
Mavic Yaw Drift
New (Replacement) Mavic Pro Rotates/Slides with No Controller Input
How Straight is Straight?
DISGUSTED with DJI Support
Mavic Drifting While Hovering

Good luck. I'm on my 5th Mavic Pro, so trying to get this fixed.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Try calibrating the remote Controller sticks
2018-2-26
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-2-26 18:45
Try calibrating the remote Controller sticks

Already done, multiple times. The DAT files show no stick input.
To make sure stick input was not a variable, I increased the EXPO on the sticks  so that it would take a lot of stick movement before the aircraft changed direction. It made no difference.
Sorry... You were probably suggesting that to the OP.
2018-2-26
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Jyunte .....5 mavic pro's bro gat da#n either looking to another company or your expectations are wayyyyy too high/looking for the littlest faults.
2018-2-26
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-26 22:17
Jyunte .....5 mavic pro's bro gat da#n either looking to another company or your expectations are wayyyyy too high/looking for the littlest faults.

Nope. These are not little faults. These are huge errors. For example, flying 300 years out in zero wind, turning 180 degrees, flying back, and missing the entire hill I was flying from by 200 yards. Or flying 600 feet along the center line of a flying field, and being 50 yards to the right by the end of it. Or flying forwards, slowing to a stop, and watching the Mavic dive 90 degrees to the right by 30 feet. I've flown with a friend, one Mavic Pro above the other, same conditions, same location, him flying my Mavic, me flying his. His flew straight, mine drifted to the right. His stayed pointing in the same direction during hover, mine rotated 30 degrees to the right. His stopped in a straight line, mine flew off at 90 degrees.

I'm not alone in seeing these problems, they've been reported to DJI for over a year. If your Mavic Pro is not exhibiting these problems, consider yourself lucky. My first one didn't, I was extremely happy with it, but unfortunately I crashed it. The DAT files, flight logs, and video evidence all prove the problems exist. Did you look at any of the other threads on this subject?
2018-2-27
Use props
kizilok
lvl.2
Turkey

I’ve had the same issue too. I miss spark
2018-2-27
Use props
JBryant02
lvl.3
United States

Flew it again last night with the same issue.  yaws to the right when flying out, stopped and watched the Air start yawing left.  spun 180 around and it started yawing right...  rolled it to the right and it sat there perfectly stationary.  i'll do another IMU calibration this afternoon and try it again if the wind lets up.
2018-2-28
Use props
EYE_IN_THE_SKY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158074 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Same problem here. After take-of randomly a short yaw to left. After a week when I purchased the Mavic Air, I encounter my first fly-away. I sent the drone to DJI and got another one, although I did not have insurance. With the new one, the same issue: short yaw on left. I asked the support, and they asked me to recalibrate all the sensors. Tomorrow I'm flying and come back with the results.

I asked DJI support if there is danger of another fly-away. The answer was yes.
2018-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

EYE_IN_THE_SKY Posted at 2018-7-26 13:57
Same problem here. After take-of randomly a short yaw to left. After a week when I purchased the Mavic Air, I encounter my first fly-away. I sent the drone to DJI and got another one, although I did not have insurance. With the new one, the same issue: short yaw on left. I asked the support, and they asked me to recalibrate all the sensors. Tomorrow I'm flying and come back with the results.

So they told you there is a good chance of a fly away, and you accept this as normal, I hope you got that in writing, because that’s like telling to go fly a faulty drone that is likely to fly away and cause damage to general public and or property , that’s almost unbelievable.
2018-7-26
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Yeah, mine does it occasionally too. Had a yaw to the left while hovering just after takeoff.
2018-7-26
Use props
EYE_IN_THE_SKY
lvl.1
  • >>>
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-26 14:05
So they told you there is a good chance of a fly away, and you accept this as normal, I hope you got that in writing, because that’s like telling to go fly a faulty drone that is likely to fly away and cause damage to general public and or property , that’s almost unbelievable.

They asked me to calibrate all the sensors and then make some tests. If the problem continues, send it back to service.
2018-7-26
Use props
EYE_IN_THE_SKY
lvl.1
  • >>>
Romania

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 2018-7-26 14:09
Yeah, mine does it occasionally too. Had a yaw to the left while hovering just after takeoff.

Mavic Air? How long have you have with?
2018-7-26
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

EYE_IN_THE_SKY Posted at 2018-7-26 14:14
Mavic Air? How long have you have with?

Had mine since it was released around the end of January. I have had several small issues since the last firmware was released.
2018-7-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

EYE_IN_THE_SKY Posted at 2018-7-26 13:57
Same problem here. After take-of randomly a short yaw to left. After a week when I purchased the Mavic Air, I encounter my first fly-away. I sent the drone to DJI and got another one, although I did not have insurance. With the new one, the same issue: short yaw on left. I asked the support, and they asked me to recalibrate all the sensors. Tomorrow I'm flying and come back with the results.

Must have been a mis-communication somewhere in that conversation.   
2018-7-26
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Mine MA has the same problem. It is very strange, but not always. After take off yaws right. All calibration made. I have the problem after .400 update, before it haven't had this kind of behavior. Hopefully DJI will react.
2018-7-26
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

It's a known issue for firmware 0400. Just hope that they will release a new one one day.
2018-7-26
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

This has been WIDELY reported on, and is affecting multiple pilots, proven issue with log data:

MA v01.00.0400 Issues (glitch in yaw and slowly turning in yaw)

For many, replacing the units has no effect, but it has for some. Problem is, DJI has a nasty habit of sending back refurbished drones with a LOT of milage on them, so I wouldn't personally trust a drone with that much on the odometer...

I'd wait until a FW fix comes out, eventually... Given this company's shoddy track record on FW and communication, might be a while longer...
2018-7-27
Use props
EYE_IN_THE_SKY
lvl.1
  • >>>
Romania

I've captured on video this behavior several times. One month ago, I had a fly-away. DJI replaced my drone with a new one that does the same thing. I want to know if Mavic Air is still a trustworthy drone.
I want to know if there is any link between fly-away and this strange behavior. I've been using drones for over 5 years, and none has ever made me something like this.

I did all the calibrations required by DJI support. 4 flights no longer acted. The 5th again.
2018-7-30
Use props
fansd1416061
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone solved this issue? I have done all of the prescribed things, and downloaded latest firmware. Sometimes the drone will just go flying away- luckily never hit anything. It always yaws to the right slightly. I can't go straight- no wind.
2019-4-19
Use props
Deminic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18455 ft
Malta

Has this issue been fixed for anyone ? It’s getting to frustrating on mine. Yesterday my drone just went into a spin off...
2019-6-3
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Could the soft & fw be off, glitched?
2019-6-3
Use props
Deminic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18455 ft
Malta

For me it defiantly is not a glitch. I have seen the video footage and also carefully seen the flight log. It is not coming from the remote.
And it comes and goes, so don’t think it’s a propeller.
2019-6-6
Use props
Hedley Thorne
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52552 ft

I have the Air and it intermittently yaws left, quite violently sometimes. I can see people aren't getting this fixed by DJI and that refurb units are being despatched to replace new ones, not great. One thought though- some people mentioning that replacement units had the same issue, did you keep the controller? Could it be a controller issue? I have tried downgrading the firmware but it still happens. It seems OK for the first flight after a controller calibration but then starts happening again. Not sending my drone to DJI as it was a refurb unit bought from Drones Direct, and it worked for a long while before the issue started. I still use the drone nearly every day, I mentally compensate for the yaw drift.
2019-9-14
Use props
djiuser_IJ7oTXK2Xt8l
lvl.2

Hedley Thorne Posted at 9-14 23:47
I have the Air and it intermittently yaws left, quite violently sometimes. I can see people aren't getting this fixed by DJI and that refurb units are being despatched to replace new ones, not great. One thought though- some people mentioning that replacement units had the same issue, did you keep the controller? Could it be a controller issue? I have tried downgrading the firmware but it still happens. It seems OK for the first flight after a controller calibration but then starts happening again. Not sending my drone to DJI as it was a refurb unit bought from Drones Direct, and it worked for a long while before the issue started. I still use the drone nearly every day, I mentally compensate for the yaw drift.

You should post a log from one of the flights where it did this and someone can probably tell you more about whats happening.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-9-15
Use props
SAMpSONNN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377881 ft
United States

I have had issues for some time with my MA voluntarily yawing to the right.

I have read somewhere that this could be a contact issue within the controller.

I haven't located that thread again at this time but hope to find it soon. I believe it had an attached video that showed someone taking the controller apart and cleaning the contacts.

I will probably attempt this at some point.

2019-12-19
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

SAMpSONNN Posted at 12-19 09:05
I have had issues for some time with my MA voluntarily yawing to the right.

I have read somewhere that this could be a contact issue within the controller.

I don't think it's an RC issue.  I'm basing that on having read all of threads on this issue and the fact that multiple flight logs have been reviewedd and there has been no RC input recorded when the unwanted yaw occurs.

There is another thread on this topic on the MA first page right now, so I'm going to cross-post here:

---------------------------

Mine did the same thing today.

I hadn't flown in a month or two.  I got 11 sats and took off - did my usual hover in place/stick checks at about 15 feet - then let go of the sticks and the thing starting yawing to the right all by itself.

You can see it in this video:  

I started the video and turned back left to put the telephone pole close to the middle of the frame and let go of the sticks again.  Again, it yaws slowly to the right.

Then, I ascended up to around 100 feet and let go of the sticks again - same thing.  Then, I just went on my way and it didn't seem to effect anthing.  I may have had to corect to the left a few times, not sure.

Checked it again near the end of the flight and it seemed to have stopped.

What is causing this?

2019-12-22
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

ThisIsWhatAffirmedAlignmentDrift
FlyDroneInHugeParkingLotEmpty
AlignDroneToStripedPavementLine100FeetLength
ChooseDroneElevationHumanHeight
PushStickToGoStraightForwardRegardlessWindInfluence
DoesDroneAimTheStraightLine?
MineCouldn't
AttemptAnotherLocationLikeBaseballDiamond
DoesDroneAimTheStraightLineHomeplateTo3rdBase?
MineCouldn't
AttemptStillAnotherLocationBasketballEnclosedGymZeroGps
DoesDroneAimStraightAlongFullCourtBoundaryLine?
MineDidGoStraightBasedUponDownVisionAlone
MaybeTheGpsCircuitboard,TheFlightController,SomehowAreIntroducingMisAlignmentOnlyForGpsModeFlight?
TryZeroIlluminationZeroGpsZeroWindToAffirmDroneAimsStaightForwardByTheFowardStickCommandAlone.
MineWentSuperStraightInDarknessWithZeroGpsZeroVisionProtectZeroDownwardsVision
ThisMakesMeUnderstandGpsFlightModeContaminatesStickCommandToGoStraightForward
TheDroneUsingGpsKeepsDriftingToTheLeftGoingStaightForward
ItConcernsMeRegardingSafety
GrapevineSaysTheRhetoric"YourDevicesAbsolutelNoneMalfunction"
12/31/2019Expires
2019-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules