1414 18 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

DJI Thor / DJI Support:

Could you please help expedite my warranty (and/or Care Refresh?) claim....CAS-1320095-D3P2D3.  I've heard horror stories here in the forums of lack of support and/or LONG delays in claim resolution; I'm now experiencing this first hand unfortunately

It's been almost 3 months since my loss and I initiated my claim directly with support as you (DJI Thor) directed back in December.  I gave support every file/info they asked for in early Jan but after several attempts over the past month, I have never received ANY update or reply at all!!  DJI Thor- you've been great support here so I am reaching out to you here for help.

I am really looking forward to a good resolution on my warranty case and appreciate an update as it has been a long time and I'm needing a Mavic soon!   My Mavic was never recovered despite me being within visual sight of it up until/except the last moments of it's landing and detailed search of the last and likely GPS location (so I'm not sure how Care Refresh would work).  I've since been in contact with the police and several other property owners and it has never showed up as it likely went down in heavy vegitation as I was unable to control it's landing location

Appreciated,

Randy

DJI Thor:  

I first reported my issue with my Mavic in the forums on Nov 11, about a week before I lost my Mavic due to video loss as well as RC disconnect/loss.  My original posting and communication with you began here : https://forum.dji.com/thread-119439-1-1.html, however I posted many times in different threads after my loss where you also were assisting me with my issue and claim.  It was clear then that my issues were 100% related to the app version 4.1.15 (and maybe earlier versions?).  As you may recall DJI had to update their app a few times very soon after the version 4.1.15 release due to an inherent code issue that was causing massive app/video lagging across many devices, I lost my Mavic because of this.

2018-2-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Randy, sorry to keep you waiting. I will forward this situation to our designated department. Please wait patiently, the case will be escalated. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-14
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-14 01:19
Randy, sorry to keep you waiting. I will forward this situation to our designated department. Please wait patiently, the case will be escalated. Thanks for your support.

Thank you so much!
2018-2-14
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

I'll keep those  interested in my outcome, updated here.  So far after posting this DJI has called me right away and said my case was 'escalated'.
2018-2-15
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

I already know what the outcome will be. They can’t warranty or apply Dji care without the drone. The app has nothing to do with controller function. You don’t need it to fly.
2018-2-15
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-2-15 10:14
I already know what the outcome will be. They can’t warranty or apply Dji care without the drone. The app has nothing to do with controller function. You don’t need it to fly.

Thanks.  That would be devastating.  I've read that you need the drone for DJI Care...but not warranty.  FYI, I didn't claim the app's function was related to the controller, but rather the part of the system to control the drone (anyone and hopefully DJI would admit that the feedback from the App and the control parameters that can be adjusted during flight are part of a full and complete control system despite the fact that the RC controller can be used separately, it may not be sufficient enough in all situations).  And yes, I'm aware that the Mavic can fly without the app...but the two are a SYSTEM. In some situations, both are required for effective operation.  In a pure sense, the RC controller should allow 100% manual flight control independent of the app...this is true however there are situations where the settings in the mavic must be adjusted via the app in order to control the Mavic properly when your flight conditions change (eg. RTH altitude, collision avoidance on/off, and even changing the auto RTH setting in the case of low battery...).  All of which I tried in vain to adjust and failed, which led to a critical battery level and an auto land in an area that I did not want and could have avoided if my Mavic was operating fully.  What is upsetting to me also is that in addition to the software error that was inherant with v4.1.15 (and maybe earlier), this defect contributed to the ability for me to even successfully recover my Mavic, so that I even had the OPTION to make a claim under DJI Care assuming it was found to be also damaged which I have no clue becasue it could not be recovered even.  So I am worried but trusting the DJI won't say "no warranty and also no DJI Care b/c you can't supply us with the Mavic"; that would be a double-wammy!!!   So to add to the RC controller use defence, if the controller had a built-in screen where you could control Mavic parameters, then I would say that flying using RC only as a defence may be justified, but DJI made the design choice to separate the controller from an internal display to reduce cost making an application (and it's display aka phone) , technically a required piece of hardware/software to complete operation in all conditions.  I'm sure noone would agree that flying RC-only would be a smart or safe thing to do; possible sure, but extremely risky to do and if DJI were to tell anyone that app defects/issues are not a cause for warranty because well, 'you could have just relied fully in the RC controller' would be a shameful cop-out on their behalf.  This is actually my biggest fear with their support

I was unable to adjust and change critical operational settings near the end of my flight once it was apparent that the app lag defect caused my Mavic to be in a location/situation where I could not return it safely or confidently without loss or crash.  I also experienced either an aircraft disconnect or RC disconnect which really frustrated my efforts to control the Mavic.  Pulling the data off my RC did not provide and usable data (I got 2 files which had no data - or corrupted file - which is strange).  This, combined with the loss of situational awareness due to app control and video data, I was unable to be certain to land properly (in may case I was needing to ensure a land vs water landing).  I was able to ensure it was over land when it auto landed under critical low power, but was unable to recover it despite knowing a very good last gps fix (during the aircraft disconnect, I likely lost gps data points).  This was SUCH A BASIC FLIGHT for me that given no errors via the app in a similar circumstance in the future this would/should never happen again.  The errors I speak of are related to version 4.1.15 (and maybe earlier)...and DJI had to abandon this version because of this defect which is easily searchable in the forums (in the mid to late Nov 2017 timeframe).  I appreciate you comment though, I just had to rant a bit because my loss was so disappointing and was 100% because of DJI's software glitch which I was struggling with for a least a week prior to my loss/bad luck.  I trust they would recognize this and offer a very fair compensation and/or replacement.  I honestly don't see any blame on my part as I am a very competent operator and understand how the Mavic operates very well.  If the same thing happened again, I MIGHT be successful in controlling it but in my case I experienced the issues right around low battery condition, and my ability to control it was literally a fight against time, and I lost .
2018-2-15
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-2-15 10:59
Thanks.  That would be devastating.  I've read that you need the drone for DJI Care...but not warranty.  FYI, I didn't claim the app's function was related to the controller, but rather the part of the system to control the drone (anyone and hopefully DJI would admit that the feedback from the App and the control parameters that can be adjusted during flight are part of a full and complete control system despite the fact that the RC controller can be used separately, it may not be sufficient enough in all situations).  And yes, I'm aware that the Mavic can fly without the app...but the two are a SYSTEM. In some situations, both are required for effective operation.  In a pure sense, the RC controller should allow 100% manual flight control independent of the app...this is true however there are situations where the settings in the mavic must be adjusted via the app in order to control the Mavic properly when your flight conditions change (eg. RTH altitude, collision avoidance on/off, and even changing the auto RTH setting in the case of low battery...).  All of which I tried in vain to adjust and failed, which led to a critical battery level and an auto land in an area that I did not want and could have avoided if my Mavic was operating fully.  What is upsetting to me also is that in addition to the software error that was inherant with v4.1.15 (and maybe earlier), this defect contributed to the ability for me to even successfully recover my Mavic, so that I even had the OPTION to make a claim under DJI Care assuming it was found to be also damaged which I have no clue becasue it could not be recovered even.  So I am worried but trusting the DJI won't say "no warranty and also no DJI Care b/c you can't supply us with the Mavic"; that would be a double-wammy!!!   So to add to the RC controller use defence, if the controller had a built-in screen where you could control Mavic parameters, then I would say that flying using RC only as a defence may be justified, but DJI made the design choice to separate the controller from an internal display to reduce cost making an application (and it's display aka phone) , technically a required piece of hardware/software to complete operation in all conditions.  I'm sure noone would agree that flying RC-only would be a smart or safe thing to do; possible sure, but extremely risky to do and if DJI were to tell anyone that app defects/issues are not a cause for warranty because well, 'you could have just relied fully in the RC controller' would be a shameful cop-out on their behalf.  This is actually my biggest fear with their support

I was unable to adjust and change critical operational settings near the end of my flight once it was apparent that the app lag defect caused my Mavic to be in a location/situation where I could not return it safely or confidently without loss or crash.  I also experienced either an aircraft disconnect or RC disconnect which really frustrated my efforts to control the Mavic.  Pulling the data off my RC did not provide and usable data (I got 2 files which had no data - or corrupted file - which is strange).  This, combined with the loss of situational awareness due to app control and video data, I was unable to be certain to land properly (in may case I was needing to ensure a land vs water landing).  I was able to ensure it was over land when it auto landed under critical low power, but was unable to recover it despite knowing a very good last gps fix (during the aircraft disconnect, I likely lost gps data points).  This was SUCH A BASIC FLIGHT for me that given no errors via the app in a similar circumstance in the future this would/should never happen again.  The errors I speak of are related to version 4.1.15 (and maybe earlier)...and DJI had to abandon this version because of this defect which is easily searchable in the forums (in the mid to late Nov 2017 timeframe).  I appreciate you comment though, I just had to rant a bit because my loss was so disappointing and was 100% because of DJI's software glitch which I was struggling with for a least a week prior to my loss/bad luck.  I trust they would recognize this and offer a very fair compensation and/or replacement.  I honestly don't see any blame on my part as I am a very competent operator and understand how the Mavic operates very well.  If the same thing happened again, I MIGHT be successful in controlling it but in my case I experienced the issues right around low battery condition, and my ability to control it was literally a fight against time, and I lost .

An UPDATE (finally):

DJI came back and concluded that there was no malfunction of the Mavic and therefore no warranty. It appears that they did not even read the details of what was in my claim!    I've provided exhaustive detail to support my claim (like the above info).  They did not make one comment at all on the fact that my claim was in regards to:

1). Defective GO4 v4.1.15 ; and ALL my supporting evidence that their software was entirely at fault for the  loss (please don't make comment about 'you can fly with RC only' - I know this (my case details why this was not a factor); This software issue was reported officially to DJI at least 1 week prior to my losing my drone- and this is critically important imo.

DJI: is there not a ton of data that you have that confirms this was (or still is) a MAJOR ISSUE??  

2). In addition to having the "Aircraft Disconnect' error (App disconnects from RC)...my RC disconnected completely as per my claim information (indicated "Connecting...').  Somehow I still had control of the AC (I didn't know I did b/c the app was dead as so was my RC!!!!!) and my stick input (forward) was able to keep AC moving forward during it's last several seconds of flight (I was hoping it did).

3). The App LAG and loss of video live feed (first horrible pixellation then full freeze, then black screen after attempting App reboot) DO NOT show up inside of the App's Datafile.

4).  My provided RC datafile (given to DJI) was 'corrupt'; this in itself should show that maybe in addition to the App issues/defect, my RC controller malfunctioned.

I contacted DJI Support AGAIN (June 2018) about the above conclusion and asked for re-evaluation and asked to escalate my case.  They offered to do this but now they want me to send them my datafile....again???   Back to the beginning/square one again?  They are only going to read it and see that there were no errors??

I cannot get DJI Support to comment at all on my supporting info...they seem to ONLY LOOK AT THE DATAFILE and nothing else.

I'm at the end of my rope and desperate to get a better conclusion than the 15% discount they offered.  
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-14 01:19

Sorry for reposting this, but I had to reply directly to you a DJI Moderator or else my post with update on my case may not be seen at all   Thank you for the (above)- I appreciated you having my case escalated..but as per the below info/update, my case was never 'escallated'....it apprears they just 're-reviewd' my datafile and came back to me with "Your case came back as non-warranty, we can give you 15% discount...etc.".  There was no 'escallation' by someone in management and noone made any comment about the evidence I provided to support the data.  The only thing that was said (and you can even see it in the case file) was 'they only can look at what the datafile provides'.  This would mean that DJI will not/can not consider their own software as a cause or even a minor/major contributor to the cause of the incident (loss of mavic due primarily to the loss of App functioning and the inability of the operator to adjust critical settings in order to support Mavic's landing in this situation).

My case is being 'looked at' again, currently as of June 9th 2018, as per below but it doesn't appear that all my info that I've provided here and especially directly to DJI Support will even be read fully. I say this because now they want to see my datafile ...again...but appear to ignore the clear evidence in support of my position of WHAT THE TRUE CAUSE of my incident was.  In any case, my datafile would be on file already. The datafile produced by the APP cannot report errors that were a defect of the app's software- it wasn't designed to do this....it only shows that there were no faults reported in the physical Mavic....and I do believe that this is likely true-there was nothing wrong with the sensors etc within the Mavic itself as far as I know;

---

An UPDATE (finally):

DJI came back and concluded that there was no malfunction of the Mavic and therefore no warranty. It appears that they did not even read the details of what was in my claim!    I've provided exhaustive detail to support my claim (like the above info).  They did not make one comment at all on the fact that my claim was in regards to:

1). Defective GO4 v4.1.15 ; and ALL my supporting evidence that their software was entirely at fault for the  loss (please don't make comment about 'you can fly with RC only' - I know this (my case details why this was not a factor); This software issue was reported officially to DJI at least 1 week prior to my losing my drone- and this is critically important imo.

DJI: is there not a ton of data that you have that confirms this was (or still is) a MAJOR ISSUE??  

2). In addition to having the "Aircraft Disconnect' error (App disconnects from RC)...my RC disconnected completely as per my claim information (indicated "Connecting...').  Somehow I still had control of the AC (I didn't know I did b/c the app was dead as so was my RC!!!!!) and my stick input (forward) was able to keep AC moving forward during it's last several seconds of flight (I was hoping it did).

3). The App LAG and loss of video live feed (first horrible pixellation then full freeze, then black screen after attempting App reboot) DO NOT show up inside of the App's Datafile.

4).  My provided RC datafile (given to DJI) was 'corrupt'; this in itself should show that maybe in addition to the App issues/defect, my RC controller malfunctioned. I personally don't think my controller was at fault, but I can't say for sure because it's datafile was corrupt and this should actually support my claim (instead DJI Support makes no mention of this at all).

I contacted DJI Support AGAIN (June 2018) about the above conclusion and asked for re-evaluation and asked to escalate my case.  They offered to do this but now they want me to send them my datafile....again???   Back to the beginning/square one again?  They are only going to read it and see that there were no errors??

I cannot get DJI Support to comment at all on my supporting info even when I directly ask for their comment...they seem to ONLY LOOK AT THE DATAFILE and nothing else.  Does DJI not consider software faults in warranty matters???

I'm at the end of my rope and desperate to get a better conclusion than the 15% discount they offered.  
2018-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-6-9 15:14
An UPDATE (finally):

DJI came back and concluded that there was no malfunction of the Mavic and therefore no warranty.  It appears that they did not even read the details of what was in my claim!    I've provided exhaustive detail to support my claim (like the above info).  They did not make one comment at all on the fact that my claim was in regards to:

I’m not sure if I read this right or not, but you say you lost the drone and dji are looking for .dat file , you need the aircraft for this file.
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-9 15:44
I’m not sure if I read this right or not, but you say you lost the drone and dji are looking for .dat file , you need the aircraft for this file.

Hi Hallmark007- it's been a while.  To your point, with my case (or any issue with the Mavic) there is :

a). A 'datafile' within the Go4 app itself.  It is a datafile that one can upload to "AirData' etc and look at your entire flight data to make some determination of hardware fault vs pilot error. You find it inside a specific directory on your phone.

b). A datafile from inside the RC controller, extracted using the DJI Assistant software.  I assume this file is readable only to DJI and contains info about how the RC performs during flights, a log of sorts.  Following DJI's instructions to get this file, Assistant software only shows one file and it is named "fatal".  This I can only assume means that my datafile inside my RC controller is corrupt...therefore it cannot even provide any into to support my claim

c). The main 'blackbox' datafile that is stored inside the Mavic itself (extracted via DJI Assistant); this is the primary log that contains supposedly tons more info that the log file within the Go4 App....this is the one that I cannot give to DJI b/c the Mavic was not recovered.

I was able with my claim to provide DJI Support only with A and B files.  File B from the RC controller was corrupted as it's filename was showing up as 'fatal' within DJI Assistant 2.

I've been providing soooo much info to DJI, but they don't seem to read it.  I am being as clear as possible, but might be losing them b/c of the length of info and maybe (hopefully not!) some problem with language barrier...

I'm having a hard time accepting ANY responsibility for losing my Mavic in this way b/c quite honestly I did nothing wrong during my flight and I did everything an advanced user would do in such a crazy situation to try and safely land it.  If I could do it all over again I still wouldn't have changed a thing with my flight, it was a very conservative flight and 100% would not have come even close to losing the Mavic if it weren't for the poor software and having it fail precisely when it did....

I am hoping they will see the reasonableness of the factors which caused the loss and take responsibility for their KNOWN SOFTWARE DEFECT.  Worse case, I'd even feel better if I got 50% off a replacement even though in my heart (and by the evidence/not the data ) I feel it should be fully replaced free.  I even had DJI Care Refresh but can't use it I guess b/c I don't have the Mavic to return .  I'm not even sure it crashed during it's final landing- I contacted all properly owners in the area (even the local Maui Police!) and it was never recovered....
2018-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-6-9 15:52
Hi Hallmark007- it's been a while.  To your point, with my case (or any issue with the Mavic) there is :

a). A 'datafile' within the Go4 app itself.  It is a datafile that one can upload to "AirData' etc and look at your entire flight data to make some determination of hardware fault vs pilot error. You find in inside a specific directory on your phone.

That’s a cvs text file, .dat is file in the aircraft, I understand the RC file is coded and not readable only to dji .
Dji say they don’t read either phantomhelp or airdata file, so basically they just need you if you can to sync your flight but I imagine you’ve done this already.
Hopefully a mod might jump in to help.
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-9 16:03
That’s a cvs text file, .dat is file in the aircraft, I understand the RC file is coded and not readable only to dji .
Dji say they don’t read either phantomhelp or airdata file, so basically they just need you if you can to sync your flight but I imagine you’ve done this already.

Yup, I used the term 'datafile' on purpose to not confuse the type of file (.dat or .text) .  .

They've had all my files since Jan and have analysed them.  They never provided me any info on the RC file...it is only my assumption that since it's filename is "fatal" and that was the ONLY file that DJI Assistant extracted, that my RC file must be corrupt.  IF so YOU'D THINK this would somehow be in my favour.....

There is literally a ton of people here in the forums that have had experienced the v 4.1.15 defect (App LAG and video live-feed loss and pixelation).  Since I lost my Mavic I've been ignoring DJI forums (makes my sick that I lost my Mavic and that DJI takes no accountability).  But I have lots of $$$$ still in accessories and such so I have no option but to buy a new Mavic (but of course don't think I should have to).  I usually only use my Mavic for video/photo when I travel.  Well, we are heading back to Maui asap and then oversees after than so I MUST get this resolved one way or another ...and asap!  

Good to hear from you again!
Randy
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

That’s a cvs text file, .dat is file in the aircraft, I understand the RC file is coded and not readable only to dji .

Yes, I too sync'd everything way back in Nov of last year.  DJI confirmed they have everything sync'd.  DJI Thor was the original mod that I was ACTUALLY conversing with for over a WEEK prior to me losing my Mavic on exactly this issue.  He has never stepped up at all and made a clear point to anyone in DJI that "you know, 2000% fact that this guy was having these exact app issues prior to losing his Mavic'.  Any mod can see what's recorded here in these forums and see that I was desperately trying to fix this issue..as my flight quality was sukking bad my whole vacation, until one day it seemed perfect flight until the moment I was RTH...then she went haywire, put me into critical low and I could not control the settings I needed to ensure a safe landing...and lost it.  Boo!!!!
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

That’s a cvs text file, .dat is file in the aircraft, I understand the RC file is coded and not readable only to dji .

I should add that if I believed that I personally made one mistake during my flight or caused in anyway the loss of my Mavic, i would own up to it, take it like a man and just buy a new one without any fight.  But I'm sticking to my principles here
I'm thinking of opening up a new thread to try to get mod support.  At the same time get feedback from the community on what the current state of the stability of the Android app is in regards to this issue.  I've been away from the scene for so long, but just a cursory glance at the forums tells me this problem has not been fixed by DJI...perhaps when I do you can chime in and lend your support
2018-6-9
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
United States

I don’t understand how the app caused your crash. Did you not set your return home function correctly? It still works without the app and will trigger just by shutting off the remote.

You say “ but you must use the app to adjust settings!”   Yes, before you take off and fly your drone away.
2018-6-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry but I was reading your issue and am having difficulty understanding why you lost your Mavic Pro? You said the Mavic Pro reached critical battery and it self-landed somewhere but you managed to stay clear of open water?
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-6-9 16:25
I don’t understand how the app caused your crash. Did you not set your return home function correctly? It still works without the app and will trigger just by shutting off the remote.

You say “ but you must use the app to adjust settings!”   Yes, before you take off and fly your drone away.

Hi, appreciate your comment.  I've answered this exact question a few times within the detail of my postings (I think above as well) here and directly with DJI.  It is actually the question that takes a lot to explain b/c doing so requires me to explain all the issues that I experienced in a short period of time.  It is also an important question/fact b/c without this information, if a guy just looked at my flight data it would appear that I simply completed a 15 min perfect flight around several POI, then returned to my homepoint but yet purposfully just flew past and dumped my mavic in an area completely away from my homepoint.  My entire flight during its last phases, I never took a single picture/vid or performed any 'interesting' manuevers at all; interpreting the data it should be clear to a reasonable person that this part of the flight was entirely an attmpt to re-gain control and land the AC.

I'll be brief:
The video pixelation contributed to me slightly over-flying my homepoint.  I still had good  power % after this occurred, however when I attempted to regain the video feed, the App was experiencing intense command LAG (eg. when if I were to issue ANY command to the remote... this would take 30 seconds or more).  I knew that the AC would be requesting a RTH soon, but that my RTH height was not appropriate at this leg of my trip (specifiically the time it would waste going to the set altitude vs the 20m that I now desired).  I set a high RTH altitude purposefully at the beginning of my flight as I am an experienced and that was perfect then.  Given the sudden flight control issues, my situation changed from my original plan  - so I needed to correct this. Because of the delay in my flight b/c of the App lag and issues I was trying to resolve, I lost valuable time at this hover location so I attempted to change this setting (down to 20m min) prior to anticipating the possibility of an unavoidable critical battery level. I was attempting to prepare the Mavic for a 20m RTH height, so that it could confidently do this with min time/loss of power. ALSO I should add that I had reason to suspect that my homepoint may not be accurate because the prior software I was on had a defect where the homepoint setting was not being properly stored/updated in memory (and I had no idea if this issue was solved with v 4.1.15 since DJI has a habbit of NOT informing users of much info on their 'updates').  While trying to 'fix' my app issues, I noticed my App went 'Disconnected' (technically 'Aircraft Disconnect') and the controller read "Connecting...'.  So because of these things, I lost valuable flight time and then my battery went critical low....and then needed to complete a FAST landing over LAND (I was just off shore). And now b/c I was unsuccessful at using the App to make my adjustments, I was forced into a manual land situation in a location that was not my origianl plan, and becasue of the battery level I now needed to do this at a location a bit farther than were my homepoint was.  Without video support, I could only approximate my position over land.  I am 100% sure that I was over land during it's final moments of flight.  It then auto-landed and I went immediately to it's last-known GPS fix and where I saw it but it was not there; could be a tree landing but I am not sure (I even suspect someone walked away with it).  I am leaving out a couple details, but for the most part this is my sad story.  In hind-sight I might have been successful with a landing closer to me if I had ignored all my attempts to change some of the parameters in-app prior to this.  This probably may have ended up in a crash or water landing- which would not have been a big deal b/c I have Care Refresh (but i didn't want to use it!!).  I believe the actions I took are consistent with what other experienced operators would have attempted.  The mavic's operation is supported by a full 'system' consisting of the Mavic/it's firmware, the App and it's settings, and the RC controller. Of course you can fly the Mavic completely with RC only and VLOS (which I was) but in some circumstances, you may require the need to change settings from those originally entered as part of good flight planning. In my case, I was not afforded the ability to change some settings that would have improved my safe operation.  Trust that explains this point.  Thanks.
2018-6-9
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
United States

I know it sucks but the blame rests on your shoulders. Why did you not attempt return to home? The excuse that you could not LOWER your return to home height so you let it crash, does not work. These are basic preflight checks, not emergency procedures.

If you had it set correctly you could have shut your RC off and the drone would come home, but you didn’t. So it crashed. How is this Djis fault?

1. Failure to properly set Return to home function prior to takeoff. Pilot error.

2. Leaving Vlos even when you have been having issues. Pilot error.

3. Letting your battery get so low it critical landed. Pilot error.

These are not DJI problems, these are Randy problems.
2018-6-9
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-6-9 17:08
I know it sucks but the blame rests on your shoulders. Why did you not attempt return to home? The excuse that you could not LOWER your return to home height so you let it crash, does not work. These are basic preflight checks, not emergency procedures.

If you had it set correctly you could have shut your RC off and the drone would come home, but you didn’t. So it crashed. How is this Djis fault?

I appreciate your support of DJI but your comments are false- no offense. I get it, some people may try to blame others, that's not me.  Posting here my info - when you do NOT have ALL the info puts me at risk for comments such as yours that attempts to find fault/teach or correct someone when it is not warranted.  

FYI.  since you asked, I could not initiate or allow a RTH at it's current location because it was outside the distance to achieve this, given the loss in battery power at that point. Originally I DID attempt RTH at this location but it did not accept my command - or the massive LAG prevented it, then I attempted to view and change my RTH altitude to compensate for my new location and effect this and my existing RTH altiude setting woudl have.  Then the App disconnect error; perhaps you forgot I mentioned this fact....also re-read the facts - never did I 'let it crash'; in fact I'm certain it did not crash, but rather it did a controlled landing in the open area I selected.

Obviously you did not read my reply to you (maybe b/c it was 'in edit' by me when you posted again..).
1. I did set RTH properly as part of my flight plan.  when conditions change, you must be able to change with your changing conditions; I was not afforded this b/c of in inherent app defect...you may not have experienced or be aware of so I take your criticism in context of this...
* Consider this...if YOU began your flight in basic mode (not Sport) then when you were returning your AC to homepoint the wind picked up and was stronger than how you could return against it (aka- you gonna crash/run out of battery b/c of the wind unless you change to Sport Mode!!)...If you flipped to Sport Mode and your Mavic's control was not functioning and you could not increase your wind speed because of this fault........I guess that is YOUR FAULT then right?  Should have planned for that right?  No settings to change are a possibility in all situations that change right??  Is my situation different just because the setting is 'in - app' and not a switch? C'mon.

2. Never left VLOS...don't create your own facts
3. Read the facts, I left plenty of battery % for the end of my flight; 40% in this case with a setting of 30%. My flight data conntains all this info and DJI can clearly see this as a fact...something I didn't mention to you b/c I originally was trying to keep my reply brief     A misbehaving control system contributed to the critical bat level.  I could have landed prior to critical but I used all my time so as to increase my probability of a safe landing .

You are obviously not aware of the known defect in this version of DJI's software.  I've no issues with accepting responsibility where it falls on me, if you read above you would see I already commented on this.  

However negative your opinion is- I do appreciate that you chimed in and asked the original question that you did.  Sorry you didn't agree with the answer
2018-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules