LIFE EXPECTANCY of the MAVIC AIR
9208 21 2018-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fotoFly5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6093 ft
United States

Any thoughts about a "ball park figure" of how many flight hours DJI DRONES, specifically the MAVIC AIR, might be good for, assuming proper maintenance, no crashes, etc.?
How do they tend to "die"?
Does a motor finally burn out and they fall from the sky ?
Just  wandering . . .
2018-2-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Batteries and props will go first then the motors with plenty of pop up warnings to notify and you can track the mAh remaining of the batteries - these are all replaceable of course and take months to over a year. As for the actual drone - look after it and it will last years. There are people still enjoying their Phantom 1's from 2012...
2018-2-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They tend to die when you crash them. Lol, if you look after them they should last many years, reading the manual will also help prolong the MavAir.
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-14 01:14
Batteries and props will go first then the motors with plenty of pop up warnings to notify and you can track the mAh remaining of the batteries - these are all replaceable of course and take months to over a year. As for the actual drone - look after it and it will last years. There are people still enjoying their Phantom 1's from 2012...

Agree, but I do note that the Phantom x is clearly a more solid construction. The Air, while still solid for it's size, is clearly flimsy in parts.

I'm particularly thinking of the prop spindles. I note that folded up, the Air sits on it's props and it's packed just under the top of the soft travel bag. A couple of good knocks there...  Also, if you don't fold the prop arms back in the right order (which when closing is front then rear, and opening is rear then front), there's a temptation to force the front prop over the foot of the rear prop arm already there. Not an issue in the other order. That can't be good for the prop spindle either.
2018-2-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-14 14:40
Agree, but I do note that the Phantom x is clearly a more solid construction. The Air, while still solid for it's size, is clearly flimsy in parts.

I'm particularly thinking of the prop spindles. I note that folded up, the Air sits on it's props and it's packed just under the top of the soft travel bag. A couple of good knocks there...  Also, if you don't fold the prop arms back in the right order (which when closing is front then rear, and opening is rear then front), there's a temptation to force the front prop over the foot of the rear prop arm already there. Not an issue in the other order. That can't be good for the prop spindle either.

I can recommend to simply train the right unfolding and folding procedure, it so far has been successful for me ;-)
2018-2-14
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

I'm particularly thinking of the prop spindles. I note that folded up, the Air sits on it's props and it's packed just under the top of the soft travel bag. A couple of good knocks there...  Also, if you don't fold the prop arms back in the right order (which when closing is front then rear, and opening is rear then front), there's a temptation to force the front prop over the foot of the rear prop arm already there. Not an issue in the other order. That can't be good for the prop spindle either.

As long as you follow DJI’s instructions then the props sit very nicely in the soft case. I was concerned about this issue and after many flights I have no problem at all. It’s a sturdy little thing! Amazing really!
2018-2-14
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

As long as you follow DJI’s instructions then the props sit very nicely in the soft case. I was concerned about this issue and after many flights I have no problem at all. It’s a sturdy little thing! Amazing really!
2018-2-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm particularly thinking of the prop spindles. I note that folded up, the Air sits on it's props and it's packed just under the top of the soft travel bag. A couple of good knocks there...  Also, if you don't fold the prop arms back in the right order (which when closing is front then rear, and opening is rear then front), there's a temptation to force the front prop over the foot of the rear prop arm already there. Not an issue in the other order. That can't be good for the prop spindle either.

Hence - "if you look after it". Most of what you have written is not down to the drone. Fold the arms carefully every time, remove the props for transport/storage if you've noticed something that concerns you, maintain the batteries effectively, clean the drone after use and store it in the right place, fly it carefully and in line with the manuals etc - it is not a low quality product but quite the opposite. My MPP is in exactly the same condition today after 30+ flights as it was when I unboxed it in November last year. No reason why I will not be flying that drone in 2019 and beyond as I have my P4P since November 2016... These drones can and do last literally YEARS! The MA is no exception. Of course, they can also last just minutes too!
2018-2-14
Use props
fotoFly5
lvl.2
United States

THANKS, EVERYONE for your responses!  By Nature, I tend to take good care and maintain things
2018-2-14
Use props
fotoFly5
lvl.2
United States

If anyone is interested . . . I recorded my FIRST TEST VIDEO this morning while using my EPSON MOVERIO BT-300 FPV Drone Edition smart glasses. MAVIC AIR & MOVERIO !  What a SWEET and FLAWLESS COMBINATION !  I still have SO MUCH TO LEARN, but I am DELIGHTED with this first try . . . !  
2018-2-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Batteries will go first...motors will outlast the actual electronics in the drone ..... brushless motors last forever I have never had one go especially in my helicopters I would have an ESC go or a receiver so if anything would go on the mavic air it would probably be in escr or camera fault or something in the electronics all in all I think life expectancy with this drone will be a long time the only maintenance you really have to do is with the batteries and props you should get a couple hundred sorties with
2018-2-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Punchbuggy its not a "prop spindle" its a motor shaft... my little blade 180 cfx helicopter has taken many crashes and the motor shaft has lasted I'm pretty sure you just talking away the mavic air in your bag will not hurt it
2018-2-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Tucking*....
2018-2-14
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

One day at most
2018-2-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No, no - I think you were right the first time. I p!ss many people off simply by talking away. Why would the Mavic be any different?
2018-2-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I really like the concept of Moverio glasses. FPV while you still can maintain the VLOS. Another good thing is apparently they can be used with the prescription glasses. And you don't look too dorky like with average FPV glasses.
2018-2-14
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Punchbuggy lol
2018-2-15
Use props
fotoFly5
lvl.2
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-14 22:26
I really like the concept of Moverio glasses. FPV while you still can maintain the VLOS. Another good thing is apparently they can be used with the prescription glasses. And you don't look too dorky like with average FPV glasses.

Honestly, they are GREAT!  Yes.  The MOVERIO does come with a fitted frame in which you can
have installed your prescription lenses.  MOVERIO also comes with TWO, nose bridge/pad
attachments . . . one extends the MOVERIO away from your face enough so that it's possible to wear BOTH THE MOVERIO and glasses at the same time.  Perhaps you noticed in my video that I AM wearing
my prescription glasses behind the MOVERIO.  I found the nose bridge attachment which is "shorter"
(for non-glasses users) works best for me.
The MOVERIO has MANY OTHER uses besides drone flying.  with your wifi they  can be used to surf the web and stream movies from Netflix, etc.  It's also possible to insert a micro sd card loaded with your movies, etc.,into its android controller and, with the included ear buds, watch movies while on a plane,
as an example.  It's possible to download APPS from the included EPSON MOVERIO APP Store.
Finally, the MOVERIO is equipped with its own camera.  
The "dig" seems to be that they are a bit pricey.  But they are HIGH QUALITY and, with their VERSATILITY,
I feel they are a good value.  
And even I've been told that I don't look too dorky wearing them !!!

2018-2-15
Use props
LOMELI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 887031 ft
United States

Back to the original question, DJI estimates the folding mechanism to b good for 5000 folds/unfolds.

You can find this information in the FAQ section of the Mavic Air.
2018-2-15
Use props
fotoFly5
lvl.2
United States

LOMELI Posted at 2018-2-15 06:48
Back to the original question, DJI estimates the folding mechanism to b good for 5000 folds/unfolds.

THANKS, LOMELI
2018-2-15
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

LOMELI Posted at 2018-2-15 06:48

That's right.

And I just checked and it seems it was removed!
https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#faq
2018-2-15
Use props
LOMELI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 887031 ft
Mexico

28wins Posted at 2018-2-15 09:06
That's right.

And I just checked and it seems it was removed!

It’s not there, it’s under product support.

2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules