632 6 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

My P3P ... with Nexus 7 ...

I have full sunshade made in black Depron. But I still cannot see the screen.

I'm ok in low light / cloudy days when sun is obscured - but as soon as its bright - BHAM - screen cannot be seen clearly.

Today - testing camera settings and filter - I got out about 600m and I could see the AC ... but needed screen as well to orientate ... once a part turn had been made to keep subject in view - it was difficult to gauge amount to turn to make another direction run as desired. In the end I defaulted to trigger RTH so I knew exactly - the AC was pointed at Take Off point next to me. Then I could cancel and get on with planned flight.

I've tried anti-dazzle screen film ... 3 sided sunshade ... but not good enough.

I would never use Goggles on a P3P .. as its not an FPV machine suitable for such ... especially when flying at about 6m above the ice out there !!

I am thinking to create a new sunshade with an angled 'roof' .... so I look INTO a box instead of just a 3 sided shade ?

Anyone come up with simple solution ?

Nigel
2018-2-14
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Here’s one solution, not cheap tho https://shop.hoodmanusa.com/category-s/149.htm
2018-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I did think about a hood ... reminds of years spent looking into Marine Radar sets !

I can make one in depron easy enough ... and I don't think it needs to be so tall ...

Nigel
2018-2-14
Use props
Offroader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1850741 ft

United States

The biggest problem for me is not screen intensity (or lack of) or direct light reflecting off the screen but my reflection off the screen. The sun illuminates me, then throws that light onto the screen that acts like a mirror with me in it. None of these 3 sided shades will make that go away. The long ones AlanHd linked to certainly do eliminate that but they seem pretty awkward.
2018-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Yep ... have that as well.

I tried a box like affair later ... that was better ... basically I added a roof at an angle to the 3 sided shade. It helped but still only halfway to a readable screen.

I think I may try to knock up a viewing hood ......... looks like its the only way to go.
If it works - I'll list the dimensions etc. so you guys can make one if you want ...  

Nigel
2018-2-14
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-2-14 10:01
Yep ... have that as well.

I tried a box like affair later ... that was better ... basically I added a roof at an angle to the 3 sided shade. It helped but still only halfway to a readable screen.

The Hoodman or PGY TECH hoods are great, Hoodman twice as much money. I use the PGY, cuz I'm cheap, I think the hoodman is better quality. The great thing about these two is that you can put your face right up to them making them virtual goggles, believe it or not my brain goes into total immersive mode. They both have a slit with elastic bands to prevent light from entering and creating reflections, but this slit can be a bit of a chore if you are accustomed to making most of your adjustments on screen. Additional downside is that they get a bit heavy after a while and throw the balance of  the RC way off making it a bit of a chore to carry around, the angle you set for the screen always gets thrown off also. That said, in liew of a CS or goggles I find these to be the best solution, even with the downside.
2018-2-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have 3mm black Depron sheet - its very light and can be glued / taped easily. It has corrugated side and smooth other. The corrugated prevents reflections ... (its actually like that as a glueing side for floor / wall insulation) .... I have both 3mm and 6mm for scratchbuild models in white, green and black.

Will try a hood ... with 'flap' to allow hand in to touch screen. Good excuse as well to use the Controller buttons !!

Nigel
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules