Osmo tripod and extension arm on Osmo Mobile 2?
12120 9 2018-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans089633a7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12339 ft
Canada

Does the original Osmo tripod and extension arm work with Osmo Mobile 2? I was concerning about the rosette lock will not contact well with the osmo mobile 2 base.

The reason why I am think about this set up if because the osmo tripod and extension arm are very compact and light weight for travellling. If you have any recomendations about monopod for the Osmo Mobile 2, please let me know!
2018-2-14
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

Sure... with duct tape.

DJI really screwed up with this, because they eliminated the rosette mount, NONE of the Osmo accessories will work, except for the tripod, base, and if your feeling lucky the vehicle mount.

The lack of accessories is the number 1 reason I tell people to avoid the Osmo Mobile 2.  Followed by the non removable batteries, lack of a trigger and badly remapped controls, questionable ergonomics and plastic construction.

The original Osmo Mobile is far superior.
2018-2-14
Use props
fans089633a7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12339 ft
Canada

9245 Posted at 2018-2-14 13:08
Sure... with duct tape.

DJI really screwed up with this, because they eliminated the rosette mount, NONE of the Osmo accessories will work, except for the tripod, base, and if your feeling lucky the vehicle mount.

Yeah I agree. However I made a really bad move of selling my Osmo Mobile 1 before there was any review of osmo mobile 2 online.
2018-2-14
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went with these two pieces.  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 7_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 2_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The tripod folds into a handle and the extension is very lightweight and strong as it is made out of carbon fiber.  The extension shown below is in the collapsed state and will raise up another six inches if needed.

Tripod and two piece extension .

Tripod and two piece extension .

2018-2-14
Use props
Whiz_Kid_CA
New

United States

Sounds like you sold your osmo mobile 1, but still have the tripod and extention arm, correct? I think you'll be fine. if anything, you can just put a nylon or thin rubber spacer between the rosette mount and the osmo 2
2018-2-14
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Whiz_Kid_CA Posted at 2018-2-14 23:22
Sounds like you sold your osmo mobile 1, but still have the tripod and extention arm, correct? I think you'll be fine. if anything, you can just put a nylon or thin rubber spacer between the rosette mount and the osmo 2

The rosette isn’t the problem.  I do not believe that the screw is the same size.

But even if it is, the rosette mount is on the side, but the tripod mount is on the bottom.  I’m just not sure how well the thing will work when the top has to be turned 90 degrees up to work, it just was not designed to mount to the bottom, then you have the issue of stability, even used correctly, that setup is a bit wobbly and does not like wind, I would imagine doing this would make it 10 times worse, even if you made it work.
2018-2-15
Use props
Steph !
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3973 ft
France

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-2-14 22:47
I went with these two pieces.  
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 7_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and

Great setup !
2018-2-18
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

9245 Posted at 2018-2-14 13:08
Sure... with duct tape.

So the fact that Osmo Mobile 1 accessories don't work on the Osmo Mobile 2, and that DJI has no accessories for the 2 (yet) makes it a bad buy?

I hated the way the Osmo 1 had to be mounted on most non-DJI tripods because it just couldn't without any add ons (the bulb on the side, next to the mounting hole, prevented most tripods to be mounted). Now the version 2 can be used on any existing tripod, mounting plate, and even monopods (for crane-like movements) people already own or want to get, without the need to buy extra's to make it fit.
And if you want to make sure the orientation of the phone stays the same you can lock it with 1 press of the mode button, rather than holding down the trigger the entire time (which can't be done if you want to make crane-movements using a monopod for extra height).
I can mount my Osmo Mobile 2 on my Sirui tripod by screwing the mounting plate at the bottom, I can use it on my Manfrotto Pixi if I need a small tripod (rather than buying a base for the Osmo), and I can mount it on my monopod with ease.

The non-removable battery could be an issue for some high-end users who use it 24/7, but the longer battery life is a big plus for most consumers (casual users) as they can now easily use it for over 1 day without the need to buy extra batteries. Mine lasts for days since I'm not using it for 15 hours a day.

Long story short: I prefer the Osmo Mobile 2 because there is no need to buy additional stuff for it to make it work all day with what I already own.
2018-2-18
Use props
lvl.4
United States

dirkjan82 Posted at 2018-2-18 13:48
So the fact that Osmo Mobile 1 accessories don't work on the Osmo Mobile 2, and that DJI has no accessories for the 2 (yet) makes it a bad buy?

I hated the way the Osmo 1 had to be mounted on most non-DJI tripods because it just couldn't without any add ons (the bulb on the side, next to the mounting hole, prevented most tripods to be mounted). Now the version 2 can be used on any existing tripod, mounting plate, and even monopods (for crane-like movements) people already own or want to get, without the need to buy extra's to make it fit.

I have to base it on what is available now, not what might be available later.  But the fact is that one mounting hole is ALL that is available, so even if DJI develops something later it will be very awkwardly mounted on the bottom vs the much more logical side mount of the Osmo Mobile.  The fact is that there was NO good reason to eliminate the rosette mount and that IS a disadvantage.

The elimination of options is not an elimination of need for them.

Sure, your battery lasts a long time, but how long does your phone last?  Can it film non stop for 15 hours?  No?  Than what good does the extra battery do you?  Oh, you can recharge your phone from your device?  Cool, but what’s that do to your battery?  It’s not going to last nearly as long now.  And what happens when it’s drained?  Can you just quickly change it in a few seconds?  No.  Your down for 2 hours while you recharge it.  And what if you don’t have access to an outlet?  I can carry 4 batteries (or more if I want), fit them all in my pocket, with room to spare, and have more capacity than you do.  And I can put them in a quad charger and recharge them faster too.

I can also mount my device to a bike, stick it onto my car (or any other smooth surface), strap it to my chest, mount lights and microphones, and do lots of other stuff you can’t.  Oh, you can use a standard tripod?  So can I, and I do.  Mount it to a camera boom?  So can I, but with the Mobile (either version), I do not see why you would want to, the phone is your view finder and controls, how are you supposed to operate it or see what your filming while it is on the end of a boom?

Film in (crappy) portrait mode without holding it sideways?  Sure, you got me there, I can’t do that, but why would I want to?  Vertical video sucks.  Is that really worth all the other disadvantages?
2018-2-18
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

check walmart and get a small tripod .. that might work
2018-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules