Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stopover in Saudi Arabia with a drone?
14018 22 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AroundTheWorldz
Flight distance : 220367 ft
France

Hello,

I bought a Mavic Pro Platinum for Christmas and I just discovered this forum few days ago  so I thought that it was a good idea to join you since I already have some questions for you guys haha J

I am flying with Saudi Arabian Airlines from Geneva (Switzerland) to Manila (Philippines) in 2 weeks and I would like to bring my Mavic Pro Platinum with me. On the way to Manila, I will have a 3 hours stopover in Riyadh and Djeddah (Saudi Arabia). While it seems to be possible to fly a drone in the Philippines, it looks like they are banned in Saudi Arabia. Do you guys know if passengers waiting their connecting flights are concerned by this law or if it is only for people entering the Kingdom? I am confused now and I don’t know if it is worth the risk to take it with me.  

Thank you for your help

2018-2-15
Use props
Sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You will have no problems transiting Riyadh and Djeddah ( not with a drone anyway )..
2018-2-15
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I wouldn't even contemplate taking it out of your bag in Saudi Arabia. It is 'banned' without relevant permissions in place before setting foot on Saudi soil, it wouldn't even enter my mind to go flying.

So my advice would be do not under any circumstances fly on a stop over thinking you will be fine,  because if caught the consequences could be dire.........  
2018-2-15
Use props
AroundTheWorldz
France

Thanks for your messages. Well M2wair,  I don't plan to fly it in Saudi Arabia but in Philippines only. I will not be allowed to leave the transit zone anyway. Do you think that I should avoid to bring it with me by all means or do you agree with sploodge who says that it should be ok?
2018-2-15
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61030 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hello, at the end what was your transit experience with the drone? you had it on your carry on? I fly to Manila on Sunday via Jeddah as well.

Happy travels
2018-3-8
Use props
Nicolas Defossez
Belgium

I will transit in May as well to Philippines via Jeddah and Ryadh ( hopefully with my mavic pro)
Any particular issue with the drone during the transit?
Beter in hand luggages or in checked bagages?
2018-3-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Have you called the Airlines you are flying on?
What about speaking with Saudi Consulate in your country?
And checking with your own country about traveling through Saudi.
2018-3-16
Use props
Silvex
lvl.4

United States

It's hard to imagine how it could be a problem if it remains in your checked luggage during a layover. However, you are dealing with a country run by Sharia Law; the consequences of missteps can be unforgiving. I would look to some more authoritative sources than the opinions you might find here.
2018-3-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Silvex Posted at 2018-3-16 08:08
It's hard to imagine how it could be a problem if it remains in your checked luggage during a layover. However, you are dealing with a country run by Sharia Law; the consequences of missteps can be unforgiving. I would look to some more authoritative sources than the opinions you might find here.

Exactly.  Many moons ago, I sent a friend, who was living in Saudi, a one-time use BQ grill as a joke.
It was rejected by Saudi's anti-west shipping inspection.  Funny how they can be against the West, yet make exceptions for West's modern technologies.

That same friend was out shopping at wrong time.  He was rounded up with others by then Saudi's volunteer (aka unofficial official sanctioned) religious police.  Who forced those rounded up to watch beheading of some poor guy who had done something considered religiously offensive.

2018-3-16
Use props
Nicolas Defossez
Belgium

Anyone experienced transit in SAUDIA Arabia with drones?
2018-3-16
Use props
Silvex
lvl.4

United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-16 08:55
Exactly.  Many moons ago, I sent a friend, who was living in Saudi, a one-time use BQ grill as a joke.
It was rejected by Saudi's anti-west shipping inspection.  Funny how they can be against the West, yet make exceptions for West's modern technologies.

When you do find some reliable information, I hope you come back an let us know what you learned. Good luck!
2018-3-17
Use props
AroundTheWorldz
France

Hello

I just came back from my trip in the Philippines and I just wanted to tell you that i finally didn't bring my drone with me since I was in lack of official informations.

I didn't want to take the risk
2018-3-20
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hello, guys, I want just to update my experience by travelling to Manila with Saudia Airlines transiting first in Jeddah and later Riyadh on my way back with a Mavic Air with me inside my carry on backpack.

In short no one bothered about it, they did not even ask, you must go through an x-ray check like in many Airports while transiting but those are security checks no customs checks I took out  only my laptop and left my cameras and drones inside the backpack and it went smooth as you would pass any security in Europe.

The question is why would they bother as you leave the transit area in few hours also would you start to fly a drone at the airport? It made no sense at all as long you try to not leave the airport, so then yes they will scan for prohibited items including drones but customs officials.

First transited on the 11th of March 2018 and then on the 19th of March 2018 so pretty recent.

All this convinced me to give it a try also Saudia told me that it would not be much of a hassle bringing a drone in transit but if you so concerned just put it on your check-in luggage.

Jivan

2018-3-22
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

AroundTheWorldz Posted at 2018-3-20 04:58
Hello

I just came back from my trip in the Philippines and I just wanted to tell you that i finally didn't bring my drone with me since I was in lack of official informations.

Sad because I just came back and nothing happened to my Mavic air

Jivan
2018-3-22
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

Nicolas Defossez Posted at 2018-3-16 12:20
Anyone experienced transit in SAUDIA Arabia with drones?

Check my answer below but I came back from a trip via Saudia Arabia (transiting at the airport) with my drone on my carry on and all went smooth
2018-3-22
Use props
Nicolas Defossez
Belgium

Jivan Moulandi Posted at 2018-3-22 00:22
Check my answer below but I came back from a trip via Saudia Arabia (transiting at the airport) with my drone on my carry on and all went smooth

Super, thank you
2018-3-24
Use props
Nicolas Defossez
Saudi Arabia

I’m currently in transit in jeddah with Saudia Airlines.
Go through the control with my mavic in my handluggage, no issue at all, less control than in Europe
2018-5-10
Use props
maqsood
New
Australia

I had very unpleasant experience with my Mavic Pro 2 when I flew from Dubai to Madina in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia was my stop over for 10 days for Umrah. My drone was confiscated by local airport customs authority @ Madina airport in Saudi Arabia. They asked me to go to custom office tomorrow and get further instructions. When I went to custom office next day they asked me that I have to book this as cargo and I can't have it while I'll be in Saudi Arabia. They will not give it to me. So I have to spend quite a lot on cargo and I picked my drone from Melbourne after 12 days. They wasted lot of my time and I was very much frustrated. They don't speak English at all.
Basically I brought drone to capture my brother's marriage event in Pakistan which I did. My flight was Melbourne - Dubai - Lahore.
On my way back to home, my flight was Lahore - Dubai - Madina - Jeddah - Melbourne.

Sauid Arabian's don't understand English and they are not very friendly.
2019-1-30
Use props
Elpolo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10643 ft
Croatia

New rules came in Dec 18 being much more flexible to fly a drone in the Kingdom.
I've aimed to sum it up for you here if interested https://www.drone-made.com/blog/saudi-arabia-drone-laws

Hope this helps.
2019-2-12
Use props
djiuser_ZWyfgOFknJzK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22592 ft
Slovenia

Hi
does have anyone newer information with drones in transit. Should i carry it in checked or carry on. Flying throught Vienna- Jeddah-Manila
2023-2-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ZWyfgOFknJzK Posted at 2-21 14:30
Hi
does have anyone newer information with drones in transit. Should i carry it in checked or carry on. Flying throught Vienna- Jeddah-Manila

Given the age of this thread and the possibilty that drone rules have changed, it might be a good idea to start a new thread concerning this matter.

If you do not have sufficient privileges to start a topic I, or perhaps someone else, will start one for you.
2023-2-21
Use props
djiuser_ZWyfgOFknJzK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22592 ft
Slovenia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-21 15:32
Given the age of this thread and the possibilty that drone rules have changed, it might be a good idea to start a new thread concerning this matter.

If you do not have sufficient privileges to start a topic I, or perhaps someone else, will start one for you.

I would appreciate that
2023-3-22
Use props
djiuser_v5lGswHeJMjf
New

Kuwait

djiuser_ZWyfgOFknJzK Posted at 3-22 11:59
I would appreciate that

Hello, I cannot seem to find the new thread. Do you have any new information about entering Saudi Arabia with a drone? I have a dji mini pro 3
2023-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules