Parabolic Antenna Range Boosters (do they really work?)
6123 26 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6142 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys, I have ben thinking about purchasing a range extender, but on looking about there seems so many to choose from (they also vary in price). Therefore 'oh great ones', I have the following questions;

1. Do they actually work?
2. If so, what would be the preferred manufacturer?

Thank you

/Chris

2018-2-15
Use props
Toorboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a cheap set that were no use the bird flew farther with out em
2018-2-15
Use props
Chris_A
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Toorboy Posted at 2018-2-15 06:48
I bought a cheap set that were no use the bird flew farther with out em

Oh - I did wonder as you get a set on EBay for under a fiver
2018-2-15
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have various and they ALL work. I have ones I 3D printed ... I have ones I bought that worked out as cheap as my printed ones !

For the Adv / Pro - you need the Dual Parabolic Reflector. This folds together for storage and goes into a case by side of P3 if necessary. You unfold and place over both antenna.

Does it work ? Yes most definitely. I averaged about 30 - 40% increased range or signal stability. I could hold 4 bars signal both video and command longer. But note that they make your signal directional - so you need to face them at your AC ... watching signal bars to be sure when at range.Do you need to be careful of which manufacturer or price ? Not as far as all the ones I have ... I tested various as it cost very little to do it.

The Dual I have for my P3P was less than $10 ....

I cannot show the eBay link as seller no longer active.

Any of them on this search will do fine - honest :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.h ... 2057872.m2749.l2658

Nigel

2018-2-15
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I purchased this one from amazon for my P3S, it did increase my range https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it does my the antenna more dir3ctional tho.
2018-2-15
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

AlanHd Posted at 2018-2-15 06:54
I purchased this one from amazon for my P3S, it did increase my range https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K1ESM7M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it does my the antenna more dir3ctional tho.

The P3S reflector is shorter and single ....

For P3A / P3P - needs a taller version and double as there are two antenna.

My P3S near doubled control range with reflector - but of course was nothing for video as that has different antenna inside case.

The P3A and P3P of course has both antenna external - that's advantage for the reflector as you now affect both command and video.

Nigel
2018-2-15
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Not worth buying. Some people swear they do, but my experience has been that in the area I fly, it does absolutely nothing.  Maybe if you're in a  relative flat area with no obstructions such as over
water , then it possibly could make a slight difference.
2018-2-15
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

I use this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 5_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it does make a difference as I rarely lose signal now.
2018-2-15
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

For less than $10 ? Worth a try anyway !! No modifications needed ... just slip it over antenna and try it out.

Nigel
2018-2-15
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I use DIY ones for my P3P when flying in areas where transmission is difficult (through tree tops or mountain canyons). I find they do help a lot. Since the signal is quite directional you need to pay attention to where your AC is.

windsurfer reflectors.jpg
2018-2-15
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

I can fly further than my battery will last without them so meh..  just more crap to carry
2018-2-16
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Chris,

Below is a thread from last year that really gets into it and with photos and video.  In my opinion, they supplement the antennae very well.  I use mine all the time.  

https://forum.dji.com/thread-60563-1-1.html

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-16
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Definitely a good to have..if under FCC ,this are even better to have.
2018-2-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use a pair I got for $5 on ebay and they are fantastic.
No more dodgy signal down low and far out since I bought them.
No need for anything fancy, the cheap ones are perfectly good if the reflector is well shaped.
2018-2-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

For me - its not about range - I got that out of my system when I modd'd my P3S and was getting over 5km range ...

Now its about quality and strength of signal. Generally I don't use my dual parabola - but occasionally I look at the location and feel helping signal could be better. Even a parabola that is not 'focused' precisely is better than none. Think about it - with stock antenna - you have signal being promulgated 360deg .... but with a parabola - the signal that was basically wasted is now reflected forward. Even if it is not parallel forward as a true parabolic reflector is supposed to - it will still push that signal forward and if you are not dead straight to AC antenna - will help.  
Measuring these reflectors - the ones I have are not true parallel beam reflectors ... but they create a 'beam' with a shallow angle - making a 'beam' that allows AC to be off that parallel centre line and still benefit.

Most time - you won't see benefit - but usually its there in signal strength. Don't forget - its two way as well .... the signal back from AC which hits parabola is reflected TO the antenna ...  

Nigel
2018-2-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Siambuddhas Group Posted at 2018-2-16 23:19
Definitely a good to have..if under FCC ,this are even better to have.

with FCC mode i dont need boost any antenna
2018-2-17
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I have an inexpensive reflector type booster for my P3A and it does improve range, particularly when the signal is going through trees.  It also makes it much more directional, so you have to be sure you are pointing it toward your bird.  
2018-2-17
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Like most here have said, they definitely help
2018-2-17
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-2-17 03:56

it more pin point..but can do without it if under FCC transmisson.....
2018-2-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-2-17 03:56

I think he meant LESS than FCC power ... when  he said "under FCC" .... ie CE.

But in fact FCC is still radiating 360 deg ............ so if you are now redirecting the 'wasted signal' forward to add to the 'beam' going to AC - you may not have more range power - but a better signal density. Less likely to lose good connection.

Nigel
2018-2-17
Use props
Chris_A
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's interesting, I pushed my drone a little further today, some 700m out (I'm a novice so don't be hating). I was getting video interference at 700m (not total loss but it didn't look right). Is that normal? I wouldn't want to push it much further if it is.

Fly Safe.

Regards Chris
2018-2-17
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris_A Posted at 2018-2-17 16:13
It's interesting, I pushed my drone a little further today, some 700m out (I'm a novice so don't be hating). I was getting video interference at 700m (not total loss but it didn't look right). Is that normal? I wouldn't want to push it much further if it is.

Fly Safe.

Aloha Chris,

If you use parabolics, the video will still be clean.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-17
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Chris_A Posted at 2018-2-17 16:13

Fly Safe.

I have tried the homemade ones along with the purchased ones. All of them will improve your signal. All will have different results, but I find it hard to believe those that say they did nothing. Mostly it is not about getting out there just a long ways, but have a good signal while you are flying IMO. They are cheap, but you do have to remember they will focus your signal in one direction now, so you will have to stay pointed towards your phantom. I have tried these on a standard, P3A, and P3P, and was extremely surprised with the results on all of them. Good luck!
2018-2-18
Use props
Leftyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

I also have had good luck with them. Don't remember the manufacture but they are inexpensive so I gave them a try. As the post above me states and I agree you have to keep them pointed toward your aircraft since they are more directional.
2018-2-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Something else you need to take in to consideration and thats the atmospherics, lets say you havent bought the parabollics  yet and go fly and manage 700m with a bit of loss in video but on a whole, it was ok, but then go out the next day, that loss could start at say 600m, or it could start at 800 or even 1000m each day will be different, some will be negligible other days , more noticeable, now, get ya self a reasonable parabollic and i can pretty much guarantee you can change that 700 in to a deffo 1200m (being conservative)  I doubled my distance when i got mine, more than worth it even if its just for closer work, less chance on break ups
2018-2-18
Use props
Chris_A
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well I've ordered a set of Parabolic Antenna Range Booster via E-Bay (only a few £'s) and I'll run some flight tests once they arrive. Thanks to all for the comments

Regards

Chris

2018-2-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Chris_A Posted at 2018-2-21 01:10
Well I've ordered a set of Parabolic Antenna Range Booster via E-Bay (only a few £'s) and I'll run some flight tests once they arrive. Thanks to all for the comments

Regards

For the price .... costs more to park the car !!

Even if you don't see better range - check the signal bars at top you will most likely see  ... when AC is at moderate distance and visual - turn side to side slowly and you can see the signal bars change as the return signal has its angle to the reflectors altered ...

Nigel
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules