Need to reset P4
1130 17 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robby106
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66617 ft
Panama

I bought a Phantom 4 on the internet. The drone starts up normally with the lights and music but I cannot communicate fully from the controller. I am able to move the camera up and down and once when I was trying to configure the controller the 4 motors spun up but I can't get it to do it again. It says disconnected and nothing I can do to change that. I think there is a firmware problem but assistant 2 will not recognise the unit. I read somewhere that there is a factory reset that can be done. Before I send it back I would like to know that I have tried everything. Can anyone help with this?
-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which display device are you using ?

To do a factory reset, and /or firmware refresh on aircraft, then that needs to be done with Assistant 2. There have been some problems with Assistant 2 installing correctly on PC. So try installing again (as Administrator), or perhaps an older or newer version (V1.1.6, V1.1.8, V1.2.0 & V1.2.2 are all fairly recent).

The first LED on the RC should be green when all powered up and it is communicating with the aircraft. After that the Display needs to communicate with the RC, and that can be a problem sometimes.
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Panama

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-15 11:00
Which display device are you using ?

To do a factory reset, and /or firmware refresh on aircraft, then that needs to be done with Assistant 2. There have been some problems with Assistant 2 installing correctly on PC. So try installing again (as Administrator), or perhaps an older or newer version (V1.1.6, V1.1.8, V1.2.0 & V1.2.2 are all fairly recent).

Thanks Aardvark. Further testing is pointing to DJI go 4 app.  I just got brave and out in the strong wind I got the props to spin up without the DJI go. I can fly the a/c with just the RC but see nothing on the screen. I tried removing the DJI go app and rebooting the Galaxy tab 2 (9.7 inch running android 7) and reinstalling DJI go 4 with no success. I had a previous P4 which worked good until I drowned it. I used my LG phone with it and it worked well but the phone is giving me the same lack of results as the tablet with this drone.
The seller has offered a refund but I am getting closer to success and I don't want to send it back if I don't have to as I am in Central America and secure shipping is expensive.
I have had very bad luck with getting any help from DJI support and would have to be heavily medicated before I would call them again.
-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
Netherlands

Another Android device.

DJI - this needs looking into.   Please!
2018-2-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robby106 Posted at 2018-2-15 11:14
Thanks Aardvark. Further testing is pointing to DJI go 4 app.  I just got brave and out in the strong wind I got the props to spin up without the DJI go. I can fly the a/c with just the RC but see nothing on the screen. I tried removing the DJI go app and rebooting the Galaxy tab 2 (9.7 inch running android 7) and reinstalling DJI go 4 with no success. I had a previous P4 which worked good until I drowned it. I used my LG phone with it and it worked well but the phone is giving me the same lack of results as the tablet with this drone.
The seller has offered a refund but I am getting closer to success and I don't want to send it back if I don't have to as I am in Central America and secure shipping is expensive.
I have had very bad luck with getting any help from DJI support and would have to be heavily medicated before I would call them again.

That sounds like things aren't too bad then. Is there any way you could borrow a newer iOS device just for testing ? That at least would prove beyond reasonable doubt it was Go 4 with Android device.
Have you tried switching off video cache, perhaps had a look at the USB settings in Android ?
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-2-15 11:26
Another Android device.

UPDATE - I have tried the LG smart phone again. I uninstalled the DJI go 4 and rebooted the phone and reinstalled it. I had a problem that it wanted a skypixel account. Would not accept mine. offered to send a new password to my email but the site would not load. I eventually got in to DGI go took it outside, calibrated the compass and had a successful flight. It is very windy here so I kept it short. Now it wants new software for the controller so I have to fight with Assistant again.
Please don't tell me I spent $500 on this tablet and I can't use it.
I am very happy that I got some real progress today and the useful guidance I am receiving on this forum.
-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2

Another Android device.

UPDATE - I have tried the LG smart phone again. I uninstalled the DJI go 4 and rebooted the phone and reinstalled it. I had a problem that it wanted a skypixel account. Would not accept mine. offered to send a new password to my email but the site would not load. I eventually got in to DGI go took it outside, calibrated the compass and had a successful flight. It is very windy here so I kept it short. Now it wants new software for the controller so I have to fight with Assistant again.
I am very happy that I got some real progress today and the useful guidance I am receiving on this forum.
-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2

Another Android device.

-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2

Another Android device.

-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Panama

My internet is very unreliable right now as is my electricity for that matter. I may have to wait before trying Assistant.
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Panama

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-15 11:37
That sounds like things aren't too bad then. Is there any way you could borrow a newer iOS device just for testing ? That at least would prove beyond reasonable doubt it was Go 4 with Android device.
Have you tried switching off video cache, perhaps had a look at the USB settings in Android ?

I have it mostly working with my LG smart phone which is android.
I am trying to get updates but my internet connection keeps dropping.

-Robby
2018-2-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robby106 Posted at 2018-2-15 11:57
My internet is very unreliable right now as is my electricity for that matter. I may have to wait before trying Assistant.

OK the RC update for the P4 is not done using Assistant 2. It is upgraded using DJI Go 4, and an internet connection. Try the following:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 (V4.1.20 and above) and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a minute or two to appear). When it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.
2018-2-15
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
Netherlands

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-15 12:02
OK the RC update for the P4 is not done using Assistant 2. It is upgraded using DJI Go 4, and an internet connection. Try the following:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 (V4.1.20 and above) and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a minute or two to appear). When it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.

Something else to try when I get home.

Thank you Aardvark.

I'm not holding my breath, but if it works - then fair play to you fella.

I still think its the android version conflicting with the DJI Go App.

I'll try though.
2018-2-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rigger73 Posted at 2018-2-15 12:30
Something else to try when I get home.

Thank you Aardvark.

The update I'm referring to is the P4, the P4P controller can update through Assistant 2 I believe.
But worth a check on the USB port settings, I have a Nexus 7 (2013) that I started with. Initially having the pixelated green half screen etc. Enabled the 'Developer Options' and check 'USB configuration', switching to or from MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) might make a difference.

It's some conflict as you say, but there may just be a work around. Worth a try.
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Panama

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-15 12:02

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 (V4.1.20 and above) and 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show if update required (this may take a minute or two to appear). When it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. That may make the difference to your display.

ARD > It didn't happen exactly like that but I have DJO go 4 v4.2.6 and after that came down on the wifi there was another download and then the light on the RC went blue and the controller got something. When I check the status for the R/C it says "Latest Firmware"

So now I have learned that I can fly the A/C to some extent and see the view on my screen of my LG smart phone. I don't know what F/W is in the drone and I have tried 4 versions of Assistant 2 and none of them detect the P4. I have tried 3 known good USB cables. I have launched each version of Assistant 2 to run as administrator, done a lot of reboots.

My brain is 75 years old and normally hums along at about 60% of normal but by mid afternoon this drops to about 30% so I will shelve this project until tomorrow morning. I am very happy with the progress made today.  It can fly!
2018-2-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robby106 Posted at 2018-2-15 14:00
ARD > It didn't happen exactly like that but I have DJO go 4 v4.2.6 and after that came down on the wifi there was another download and then the light on the RC went blue and the controller got something. When I check the status for the R/C it says "Latest Firmware"

So now I have learned that I can fly the A/C to some extent and see the view on my screen of my LG smart phone. I don't know what F/W is in the drone and I have tried 4 versions of Assistant 2 and none of them detect the P4. I have tried 3 known good USB cables. I have launched each version of Assistant 2 to run as administrator, done a lot of reboots.

If you can see a smooth camera view in DJI Go 4 then that's a good sign. The firmware can be easily checked in DJI Go 4. The light on controller turning blue (was it 'beeping' as well ?) is a sign that the RC may well have updated as planned.

When you're looking at the camera screen tap on the three dots at top right hand corner. This opens the 'General Settings' menu, from there scroll down through menu, and tap on 'About'. That will list the Application (DJI Go 4) version, and the RC and Aircraft firmware versions currently being used on your system.
2018-2-15
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Panama

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-15 14:34
If you can see a smooth camera view in DJI Go 4 then that's a good sign. The firmware can be easily checked in DJI Go 4. The light on controller turning blue (was it 'beeping' as well ?) is a sign that the RC may well have updated as planned.

When you're looking at the camera screen tap on the three dots at top right hand corner. This opens the 'General Settings' menu, from there scroll down through menu, and tap on 'About'. That will list the Application (DJI Go 4) version, and the RC and Aircraft firmware versions currently being used on your system.

OK. Now it is morning and I can think.
Being unable to connect to Assistant 2 I had been assuming it was DJIs fault.
Wrong. It was my fault.
I opened device mangler and it showed me that my drone was installed on COM5 but I already had a virtual port using that number so a device conflict. I disconnected the USB cable from my PC and opened the program that uses the virtual ports and deleted COM5. I rebooted the PC just for good measure and turned on the drone, ran Assistant 2 as administrator and plugged in the USB cable to the PC. Bingo P4 discovered by Assistant. A few minutes later I had version 02.00.0700 installed in the P4. I tried to do some calibration but my USB cable was too short. I can do it anytime now.
DJI go 4 is working with my Android phone.
I took my previous P4 to a local cultural event and saw another phantom flying around. I located the pilot an had a chat with him. He was using the Phantom 4 pro and he had a Samsung tab2 9.7 inch tablet on the controller. His display was beautiful and clear. I bought one of those to use with my P4 but lost the drove before the tablet arrived. I am hoping to find a way to use that big display. It runs android 7.1.
I'm going out to play now......
2018-2-16
Use props
Robby106
lvl.2
Panama

Robby106 Posted at 2018-2-16 06:38
OK. Now it is morning and I can think.
Being unable to connect to Assistant 2 I had been assuming it was DJIs fault.
Wrong. It was my fault.

Everything is looking good. I can't go far or high with this wind but it does a good job of hovering and wobbling trying to hold its station.
Now I will work on getting the tablet to connect.
Aardvark: Thanks for keeping me focused on where my problems were. Much appreciated.
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules