Return to Home Feature and Can I Turn it Off?
3722 8 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darkuser999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51890 ft
United Kingdom

So I'm a complete drone newbie and was flying my spark for the first few times. Everything went fine, but when the Return to Home activated the Spark suddenly gained altitude. Does anyone know why this happened. Is it part of the return to home protocal. Also, i'm generally a quite responsible flier and confident i can fly the Spark home in h 20% battery. Would it be advisable to turn the Return to Home funcation off? Thanks.
2018-2-15
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

You can set Return to Home at Current Altitude to on.. But do you really want to?  The idea is to set RTH higher than anything around where you are flying so that it won't run into anything on the way home.  Also, you should only really use it as a last resort and know  how it works in various scenarios.  You obviously have not read the manual so I would advise you to not use RTH at all.
2018-2-15
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

There are several tutorial videos within this app at the Academy, it's a really good idea to view them all, the manual is also located there in digital format.
Another source for informative video is YouTube, a few of our members have some really good videos for beginners.
2018-2-15
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I highly recommend you read the manual. RTH is described there very well. Not only are you flying an expensive piece to technology, you are also flying something that can be potentially dangerous to others or property nearby.  Read the manual to know the capabilities of your drone.
2018-2-15
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

Although it may be annoying that the drone rises on a setting that is high, it is much safer to has it this way, rather than having the hazard of the drone crashing into objects on its way back home. Return To Home is a great feature because the drone will always have enough battery power to safely land.
2018-2-15
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

it is not advicable to turn RTH off. Also in mid air you can turn RTH OFF by shifting the normal mode switch to SPORTS mode.
If you disable current RTH altitude settings in the menu, you will not see the SPARK incrementing in its altitude during RTH.

It is recommended that you enable  beginner's mode in the settings during your initial flights with SPARK to avoid any mishap.
2018-2-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RTH is a common cause of issues. BUT that is usually because the pilot does not understand it / expect it.
There are various options. All suit specific situations.
As suggested, I would try and find some tutorials and see which setting suits you.
2018-2-16
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Unfortunately you can't turn off "SMART RTH" for the spark
The best you can do is press "CANCEL" when the 10 seconds countdown starts
2018-2-16
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

I keep posting this video from Kloo Gee. Its the best explanation of Return to home I have found.
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules