Spark crash result
1002 5 2018-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

My spark took a swim a while back and I initiated a case with dji. Overall I found the process quite slick and in general I thought dji handled themselves very well. Cool, efficient process and I give them a huge thumbs up.

They didn’t decide in my favor. I’m a new pilot, but I felt the spark was drifting big time toward an obstacle when I had let off both the left and right joysticks. I tried to get control back but it seemed to be acting strange and I ended up hitting the obstacle, which was a concrete wall of sorts, and then into the water. All in all I suppose I can chalk it up to being my fault but felt the drone did get unstable, but perhaps that’s because I was flying too close to something and lesson learned.

The only real “problem” I had with the process isn’t they quoted me a 200 for a repair or replace... I’d really prefer a replace first off (I swam down and got it, it was sitting in the water a good three hours though while I went home to get my snorkel, fins and wetsuit lol). But I got the drone new for 279. I suppose their quote was 79 dollars cheaper than what I got my new one for, so maybe it’s only a half complaint, but I just felt it worth it to pay the extra 79 and get it quick vs sending this one back and chancing that they repaired the swimmer, which I did not like the thought of.

Reading through that it doesn’t seem like even my complaint is much of a complaint at all. Lesson learned and kudos to dji I got the sincere impression they run a very tight ship and I appreciate the support for when it’s needed (hopefully not anytime soon again).
2018-2-15
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Good info,, I have just recently sent my Spark back for repairs after the Battery fell out,, let's hope for the same good service you got.
2018-2-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job hope your back in the air soon,
2018-2-16
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I am surprised more people don't try to buy a cheap mask and snorkle if it goes into the water.  A few mavics have been recovered from underwater and dried out to fly again with no repair.  Sparks would be worth taking apart and doing a good cleaning then just flying it until gimbal corrosion takes over.

Good that you owned up to the crash.  It seems a lot of people fly in risky areas.  They gamble with the Spark then can't handle the cost when the dice don't roll their way.  Throwing their family's good name away just to try to weasle a company into paying for their mistake.
2018-2-16
Use props
cantflyalick
lvl.2

United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-16 07:16
I am surprised more people don't try to buy a cheap mask and snorkle if it goes into the water.  A few mavics have been recovered from underwater and dried out to fly again with no repair.  Sparks would be worth taking apart and doing a good cleaning then just flying it until gimbal corrosion takes over.

Good that you owned up to the crash.  It seems a lot of people fly in risky areas.  They gamble with the Spark then can't handle the cost when the dice don't roll their way.  Throwing their family's good name away just to try to weasle a company into paying for their mistake.

You know, I did try to fire up my spark after it had dried. The battery was acting so whacky though and it would not turn on.

I thought it was pretty amazing that my Sandisk still works fine. I plan to get a new one but it seems to be working 100%. It was in the water for a few hours.
2018-2-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's nice to know the progress went smoothly. For the watered drone, it is not suggested to fly any more. Repair or replace will be selected according to the specific situation. Wish you have a good time on flying the drone.
2018-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules