Hi I need help. Connecting to the Spark has been a nightmare!
926 17 2018-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stan Campbell
New

Australia

Hello I am a new drone user. I recently purchased the DJI Spark (a few weeks ago) and I have to say so far the whole process has been a nightmare! I have an Iphone 5C and had no idea that it would not work with the drone. I went back and dug out my old Samsung  S5, downloaded the app as instructed, opened it and can not find the spark anywhere on the app. It literally has every other DJI model except for the Spark. I tried to uninstall it, reinstall it. I repeated that process a few times. I've read forums (including this one) watched tutorials and did everything that was advised. At first I was given a "Error 256", now I'm getting Error "511". I do not have anymore money to purchased another 6 or 700 dollar smart phone in the hopes that the $600 plus drone I purchased will finally work. Is there anything I can do, perhaps an old DJI app that will work with my Iphone 5c or have I purchased an almost $700 dollar paper weight?  

2018-2-16
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

RE: Hi I need help. Connecting to the Spark has been a nightmare!

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of drones.
The following compatibility list has an iPhone 5s, but not 5c (I'm unsure if there is any difference).

I believe you may have downloaded the incorrect DJI app from the Play Store.  The app you should have for your Android device is "DJI GO 4 --For drones since P4" available at:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4

Hope this helps.
2018-2-16
Use props
Stan Campbell
New

Australia

Vulcan-XH558 Posted at 2018-2-16 03:46
Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of drones.
The following compatibility list has an iPhone 5s, but not 5c (I'm unsure if there is any difference).

Hi there, thank you for responding and trying to help me out. Unfortunately for me I get another error which states "You device isn't compatible with this version." Is there another version you can recommend. Possibly an older one?
2018-2-16
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Sad to say, your devices are probably not powerful enough to run the app. Time for an upgrade, alternatively you can get one of the low price tablets on the list, if you're on a budget.
2018-2-16
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

looks like it's a compatibility issue with your device and not having the power to operate the app.  You may want to see if you know anyone that might want to sell their old phone or tablet (cell capability only).  My recommendation is to stick with an IOS device; android users have experience many headaches with the DJI GO 4 and connectivity issues.

You can fly your Spark with RC only, no device is required, just more challenging as the app has many features not accessible with only the RC.

good luck
2018-2-16
Use props
Stan Campbell
New

Australia

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-16 04:55
looks like it's a compatibility issue with your device and not having the power to operate the app.  You may want to see if you know anyone that might want to sell their old phone or tablet (cell capability only).  My recommendation is to stick with an IOS device; android users have experience many headaches with the DJI GO 4 and connectivity issues.

You can fly your Spark with RC only, no device is required, just more challenging as the app has many features not accessible with only the RC.

Damn. Thanks for the IOS tip. I wish I would've done my home work earlier but I digress hindsight is always 20/20.
2018-2-16
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have you upgraded your 5c to IOS 10.3.3 ?
2018-2-16
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

Stan Campbell Posted at 2018-2-16 04:10
Hi there, thank you for responding and trying to help me out. Unfortunately for me I get another error which states "You device isn't compatible with this version." Is there another version you can recommend. Possibly an older one?

You could try one of the earlier versions locate here:

https://dji-go-4.en.aptoide.com/versions

I haven't tried any, so can't vouch for whether they're compatible with your device, but it's worth a go.
Also agree with the upgrade, you want something with a bit of oomph, and ideally an Apple product.
2018-2-16
Use props
Outlier22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328474 ft
United States

My kids just got Iphone SE's for around $200.  These iphones are bascially iphone 6s in a 5 case.  You can buy them at target or bestbuy as pre-paid phones.   You can then pop out your sim card and put them in the new phone and your good to go.  (if you need a new sim card, you can usually get one for free from your cell provider.)  

2018-2-16
Use props
Stan Campbell
New

Australia

lannes Posted at 2018-2-16 06:31
Have you upgraded your 5c to IOS 10.3.3 ?

Hi there, yes I have.
2018-2-16
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

sorry but your devices are too old to run the app.I think the 6s is still compatible but the older 5 series is not. Sorry about the troubles!
2018-2-16
Use props
midwest Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21841 ft
United States

sorry, I feel your pain. I remember it took me four days and dozens of videos and forum posts to get my spark activated and updated before I could fly. I could not activate with my old Samsung 5S and I found a post that said use an IPhone. My wife had an iPhone 4 that got me going. Now I am using my old Samsung galaxy S5 with the DJI go 4 app or controller and  goggles. It took 2 weeks to figure out how to get the goggles to work. Things are great now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, just don't fly down the tunnel. You will loose signal and RTH will crash you into the ceiling.
2018-2-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Stan Campbell, sorry to hear about the technical troubles you are experiencing but a recommended device is really advised to be use. Also, correct me if I am wrong, did you mention you tried using the Samsung S5? If yes, that should work as long as everything is updated to the latest version. If you do not have a remote controller for the Spark, you may try to re-connect your phone to the Spark's WiFi and use the password inside the battery compartment after resetting as shown in the photo below.

2018-2-19
Use props
AGH
lvl.1
Denmark

Hi Also new to the drone World and recognise a lot of the frustration:
Bought a Spark in Sydney for our further trip to New Zealand.
My phone was a Iphone 5 and to old ! Borrowed a newer version which could download the App.
No chance of reading the QR-code or manually link phone and spark.
After many tries and using the QR code label under battery instead it suddenly got connected.
Error message for the Compass and the IMU !
Tried to fix but gave up after many tries.
Now back in DK after a month recovery I bought a new Iphone 6, and experienced all the same problem connecting to the spark as before.
Last night I got connected and activated through the website....I have no clu what actually happened, but hopefully I am connected this evening Again and don't has to hassle with this issue.
Compass got calibrated and only IMU is now not calibrating as ACC1 and GYRO1 is disconnetced ??
Have written an e-mail to support and waiting for their reply.
Rotors have not turned once yet :-)

2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

AGH Posted at 2018-2-21 04:36
Hi Also new to the drone World and recognise a lot of the frustration:
Bought a Spark in Sydney for our further trip to New Zealand.
My phone was a Iphone 5 and to old ! Borrowed a newer version which could download the App.

AGH, can you provide a screenshot of the status of IMU for further analysis? Any error message from your app? Please tell me the version of your app and the firmware of your drone. Thanks for your support.  
2018-2-22
Use props
AGH
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-22 02:23
AGH, can you provide a screenshot of the status of IMU for further analysis? Any error message from your app? Please tell me the version of your app and the firmware of your drone. Thanks for your support.

I just talked to DJI Germany and they say its a hardware issue and it needs to be send to the Netherlands !
Thing is: I  bought in Australia (for droneflying in New Zealand) so no warranty ????
I am not happy as This drone never flew for a second and I have been struggeling to get to this point where it needs a IMU calibration but I cant start it because of the malfunction in the hardware.
I also downloaded the assistent 2and does connect, but after restoring to factory settings I cant see the firmvware and try to update it !
I simply dont understand a wolrd wide product which can be bought in any airport around the World dont have a World wide warranty ??
2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

AGH Posted at 2018-2-23 03:35
I just talked to DJI Germany and they say its a hardware issue and it needs to be send to the Netherlands !
Thing is: I  bought in Australia (for droneflying in New Zealand) so no warranty ????
I am not happy as This drone never flew for a second and I have been struggeling to get to this point where it needs a IMU calibration but I cant start it because of the malfunction in the hardware.

Sorry that we can not provide world wide warranty. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-27
Use props
Dave Kane
lvl.3
Brazil

Yeah, I made a similar mistake when I got my Spark. I read about how it is good to have a dedicated cell phone or tablet just for the drone. So I bought a cheap Blu M and it can't handle Go 4. It does a little better with Litchi, but still has problems. If you can afford a higher version of an iPhone, I would get that - the Spark apparently works much better with iOS (and you can also use the OTG cable!!). But if you're like me and can't afford another phone that costs almost as much as the drone, check out the Wunderphone (Huawei Ascend XT2). I asked on this forum for suggestions of cheap Androids that work (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1191388), and this one is really cheap and very powerful. I'm getting one in April and can't wait.
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules