restricted zones near airport
1677 8 2015-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

NEW user here.

I want to take some aerial photos and videos of my company's new buildings just to print and frame. The buildings are located in an office park just inside the 5 mile radius of a Class A US airport (and certainly farther away than 1.5 miles.)

I believe my phantom 2 vision plus WILL take off and FLY according to the gps, firmware, dji video <http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc>, etc. I want to get these shots now and in the future, but I don't want to feel like an idiot or criminal by doing so. I recently jumped on the March price drop on this phantom for this exact practical purpose and felt comfortable doing so because of the aforementioned dji video, map and explanation.

I've since read conflicting posts online (including on these forums) about flying around airports, so I just want to see the feedback for myself when I ask the following question...

Question: Under the aforementioned circumstances, would you or would you not feel comfortable flying your phantom (less than 300 feet high) and why?

Please discuss and thanks!
2015-4-30
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

At the extreme edge of the 5 mile radius, you will be allowed to fly at 400 feet, just outside the 1.5 mile, you will be able to fly at 35 feet, tapering up to the 400 feet at the 5 mile marker.  You are not breaking any rules if you adhere to that.
2015-4-30
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-5-1 04:59
At the extreme edge of the 5 mile radius, you will be allowed to fly at 400 feet, just outside the 1 ...

Gerry is correct unless...you are a flying pig then ham it up baby!
2015-4-30
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

As long as we're on the subject we may as well throw up a reference.  This is from page 31 of the  Phantom_2_Vision_Plus_User_Manual_v1.8_en.pdf  (dated 2015-01-30)
RestrictedSpace.jpg
2015-5-1
Use props
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

Oh' and what about calling the dang control tower for permission? Really? I would not know where to even get that number. I'm sure there is no "drone permission" hotline?
2015-5-2
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Quick deploy the drone signal.
images.jpg
2015-5-2
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

I don't understand your reference to a class A airports, unless you are referring to the category A safety zone?  The airports in controlled airspace are usually class B, Class C and Class D.  Airports that drive the airspace classifications of C and D usually have a 5 nautical mile radius around them at the surface.
2015-5-2
Use props
stinkbug
lvl.1

United States

sorry, I meant "category A" according to the dji page referenced in my original post.
2015-5-2
Use props
Cookedinlh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4939754 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I understand the Canadian Air Regulations and airspace . . .I am a licensed commercial helicopter pilot in Canada with a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) from transport Canada. My Phantom 4 will not penetrate a red zone around an uncontrolled airport in Ontario. It is under a Mandatory Frequency (MF) zone, but I have been authorized to fly nearby, by the airport manger and I carry a radio for contact with any aircraft listening on the MF Frequency.

I went to dji website and requested an "unlock" of the zone around the airport so I can video a farm nearby. I filed the proper NOTAM and broadcast my intentions on the MF but the Phantom 4 will not allow me to takeoff over the farm. . .  or penetrate the area if I start up and takeoff just a few yards away.

How do I completely turn off this restriction in the dji? Clearly dji should not have control over Canadian flight operations or airspace by sensing geo locations. . .. especially with qualified and authorized pilots with a valid clearance.

2016-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules