want to change my drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bluesky skydive
lvl.2
Canada

hey guys

i have a dji phantom 3 proffessional for 2 years now and want to change it!! i'm thinking about the mavic because of its size but wanna know if this change is really an update considering that it still a 30 fps 4k recording? i dont know really well that drone so would like to know your opinion on this ''upgrade''. or if its not a change that i should do and wait for a mavic size drone that will do the 60 fps.

just wanna know your opinion on this and experience
2018-2-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Mavic Pro is a great drone with (if you ask me) 2 shortcomings.
1. The bitrate is too low for 4K recording. That gives you the artifacts / smearing you don't want. There is a solution: shoot 2.7K    (who really needs 4K right now, when most of us watch on smaller screens)
2. The gimbal is rather fragile. I have a fear of breaking it.

Other than that it is a wonderful drone with a lot of things to like.
Especially considering the price right now.

They 'say' that MP2 is on it's way, but that will probably be more expensive than the platinum. So I'm not sure if that will fit your budget.
2018-2-16
Use props
bluesky skydive
lvl.2
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-16 12:52
1. The bitrate is too low for 4K recording. That gives you the artifacts / smearing you don't want. There is a solution: shoot 2.7K    (who really needs 4K right now, when most of us watch on smaller screens)

THX for your advise !

budget is not a probleme! i was gonna buy a inspire 2 at first but i'm a new dad and dont have as much time as i use to have so figure it was useless to buy it at this point in my life, so thats already a big save if i go for the mavic. but if you tell that there is a mp 2 on the way i will probably wait to see this one. hoping for the 4k 60 fps.
2018-2-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

bluesky skydive Posted at 2018-2-16 13:03
THX for your advise !

budget is not a probleme! i was gonna buy a inspire 2 at first but i'm a new dad and dont have as much time as i use to have so figure it was useless to buy it at this point in my life, so thats already a big save if i go for the mavic. but if you tell that there is a mp 2 on the way i will probably wait to see this one. hoping for the 4k 60 fps.

Do you have a particular reason to want to shoot 60 fps or just think that bigger numbers must be better in some way?
2018-2-16
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

the phantom 4 pro and advanced both shoot 4k @ 60fps
That is if you are o.k. with shooting H 264 format
2018-2-16
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

I am holding off on buying any DJI until the Mavic Pro II is announced. It is coming this year, per rumors, and I am not going to buy the Air until I see what Pro 2 is offering. I am going to switch from Phantom to Mavic mainly because of the size of the drone.
2018-2-16
Use props
bluesky skydive
lvl.2
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-16 15:51
Do you have a particular reason to want to shoot 60 fps or just think that bigger numbers must be better in some way?

for some reason ive always prefere the 60 fps because you have to be SO gentle on the movement to get a nice and smooth shot. i really dont see a lot of video shot by amateur in 30 fps that really look nice and smooth and a lot that shot in 1080 looks better simply because they are shot in 60 or 120 whit the phantom 4. in my opinion(for what it worth) most people shot in 30 because they heard that this is the best quality shot you get have, whitch is real i think but most of them dont have the skill to do those kind of shot and look laggy at the end. and most of all, if there is an other mavic comming out whit this ability in 2 month then, i rather wait for it and be able to use it if i ever need to use it.

i say that whit all the respect in the world!! this is just an opinion if you guys disagree whith what i say let me know and maybe il learn something to get better.
2018-2-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think two new drones are coming in March, I would hold off for now and see what is coming up.
2018-2-16
Use props
bluesky skydive
lvl.2
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-2-16 17:05
I think two new drones are coming in March, I would hold off for now and see what is coming up.

thx probably what im gonna do in this situation
2018-2-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bluesky skydive Posted at 2018-2-16 18:07

Good choice.
2018-2-16
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-2-16 17:05

It’s March. I can’t contain my excitement. They know it’s March right?

Jeff
2018-3-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-3-1 16:41

Jeff

According to the informant on tweeter today it is more likely june now.  I have my MPP on ebay, but I will have to end it early and not sell it yet.
2018-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-3-1 16:41

Jeff

Aloha Jeff,

LOL!  It is my birthday this month - that is why!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

bluesky skydive Posted at 2018-2-16 18:07

Aloha blue,

Check out the specs on the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air.  What you want is in the Mavic Air but people think that just because it is smaller, it is not a better product camera wise.  Maybe there can be a discussion on this in your thread.  I like smooth and crispy clear.  I would only buy a Mavic Air so far.  But who knows what will come out between now and June?  The bitrate on the Air is much higher than the Pro, or so I thought I read.  But, I am old and may not have it right.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-3-2
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-16 12:52
1. The bitrate is too low for 4K recording. That gives you the artifacts / smearing you don't want. There is a solution: shoot 2.7K    (who really needs 4K right now, when most of us watch on smaller screens)

Hmm that's weird. I haven't experienced artifacts with my MP on 4k. Maybe you have a faulty unit?

There are great tests on Youtube comparing the details of 2,7k and 4k. 4K clearly wins but I do admit that it takes a lot of space and you need a good PC if you want to edit easily this kind of resolution.

Most people shooting in 2.7k/4k downscale to 1080p. You have a much better quality than normal 1080p, so yes being able to shoot in 2.7k or 4k is really useful even if you don't have the monitors to support those.
2018-3-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-2 22:10
Hmm that's weird. I haven't experienced artifacts with my MP on 4k. Maybe you have a faulty unit?

There are great tests on Youtube comparing the details of 2,7k and 4k. 4K clearly wins but I do admit that it takes a lot of space and you need a good PC if you want to edit easily this kind of resolution.

The limited bitrate of the MP is causing for artifacts in certain area's where there are many variations of 1 colour.
Not just on my MP, that is a well known shortcoming of the Mavic Pro.
The best way to avoid this is shoot 2.7K.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules