Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
More regulations - reckless pilots
1768 37 2018-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dansmar
First Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Helicopter crashes after manoeuvres to 'avoid... DJI Phantom drone'
Incident reported to local cops and Federal Aviation Authority

Posted in Emergent Tech, 16th February 2018 14:39 GMT

A helicopter has crashed after reportedly manoeuvring hard to avoid a "DJI Phantom quadcopter," in what could be the first confirmed aircraft accident involving a drone.

The crash was first reported this week by telly station Live 5 News, in South Carolina, USA< which saw a copy of a police report stating that a Robinson R22 helicopter struck a tree and landed on its side.

Expect more regulations etc.. - thanks knuckleheads
2018-2-16
Use props
Mark Blaide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 246014 ft
United States

https://fstoppers.com/drone/heli ... caused-drone-222772
2018-2-16
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

So the helicopter was operating well below 400 feet and not at an airport.  The helicopter must not have been much above the tree line since it struck a tree and fell and nobody was hurt.  The drone still must give way to the manned aircraft even if the drone was operating perfectly legally.  What if the drone operator had just seen the helicopter slightly above the trees and was maneuvering away.  We dont' know all the facts and there is some dispute if there was a drone involved at all in this accident. But, I don't see what the drone operator was doing wrong here.
2018-2-16
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

I agree with Louis in that not all the facts are in yet. I'm glad that no one got hurt in the crash. Makes no sense to get your nose out of joint until you know the results of the investigation.
2018-2-16
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-2-16 15:09
I agree with Louis in that not all the facts are in yet. I'm glad that no one got hurt in the crash. Makes no sense to get your nose out of joint until you know the results of the investigation.

Manned aircraft may fly below 500 feet over water or sparsely populated areas.

It's the drone operator's responsibility to see and avoid any manned aircraft.

Therefore, even if the helicopter was below 500 feet, if a drone was indeed present, it was the operator's responsibility to avoid the helicopter.

In the story the helicopter was 50 feet above the trees - already present practicing low level maneuvers - if you can't see or hear a helicopter at that altitude while flying vlos you need glasses and hearing aids
2018-2-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Helicopter on a training mission flying 50ft above trees, pilot sees a drone and looses control hitting a tree, this is total BS , it’s just tabloid junk if a drone was the cause of heli crashing we would already know, it’s amazing how we always see the same shot of a P3 being dragged out .
I think the pilot didn’t have Care refresh and is now blaming dji (well show us your logs) lol.
Almost all these stories have turned out to be BS and so will this one.
2018-2-16
Use props
Greg Glasson
First Officer
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-16 16:05
Helicopter on a training mission flying 50ft above trees, pilot sees a drone and looses control hitting a tree, this is total BS , it’s just tabloid junk if a drone was the cause of heli crashing we would already know, it’s amazing how we always see the same shot of a P3 being dragged out .
I think the pilot didn’t have Care refresh and is now blaming dji (well show us your logs) lol.
Almost all these stories have turned out to be BS and so will this one.

My thoughts exactly Hallmark! Just like the recent one about the drone near the airport flying above a commercial airliner on approach (turns out it was footage from a video game, but all quiet on that one now too).
2018-2-16
Use props
dji TO88
Captain
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

I think they'll accused drone operators so they can ban drones completely They will never tells us it was a human error on the pilot part.
2018-2-16
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-16 15:15

Those are the rules.. what I was saying. if you were flying a drone in a little clearing and suddenly a helicopter showed up right over the trees you take evasive action to get out of his way (the rules).. heli pilot freaks out and crashes.. how is it your fault..  
That said.. if you click thru the comments on the article  you can find a video of this helicopter flying low over populated areas.. so not only drone pilots can break rules.
2018-2-16
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

Helicopter on a training mission flying 50ft above trees, pilot sees a drone and looses control hitting a tree, this is total BS , it’s just tabloid junk if a drone was the cause of heli crashing we would already know, it’s amazing how we always see the same shot of a P3 being dragged out .
Almost all these stories have turned out to be BS and so will this one.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the drone flight above the Las Vegas airliner near the airport was real and is still under investigation by the faa.(it was not a video game or a hoax)

The Faa as well as the police are investigating this incident in North Carolina - it is thankful no one was hurt

In the US as Soon as you see a manned aircraft you are to give way immediately. Usually by going down it is the drone operators responsibility.

Regardless of fault the drone will probably be blamed and additional regulations are probably going to come of this.

When mandatory licensing becomes a reality or bans on flying in most areas happen you know whom to thank.
2018-2-16
Use props
mainstain
lvl.1
Flight distance : 178566 ft
United States

Unconfirmed.
"This is not the first case in which a drone is said to have posed a risk of collision, but no drone-related aircraft crash has yet been officially confirmed in the United States."

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/02/u-s-investigates-helicopter-crash-caused-by-drone-report.html
2018-2-16
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

NTSB: drone pilot collision with Army helicopter - USA Today
USA Today › news › 2017/12/14
Dec 14, 2017 · Federal investigators ruled Thursday that a drone pilot crashed his remote-controlled aircraft into an Army helicopter because he flew it farther away than ...

This is happening more often and is not a hoax or bs stories as Hallmark believes- above is another recent incident - they actually found peices of the drone embedded in the army helicopter.

It should just be a wake up call to be responsible and follow the rules - so we all don't suffer
2018-2-16
Use props
BeastMaster_101
First Officer
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Helicopter on a training mission flying 50ft above trees, pilot sees a drone and looses control hitting a tree, this is total BS , it’s just tabloid junk if a drone was the cause of heli crashing we would already know, it’s amazing how we always see the same shot of a P3 being dragged out .
Almost all these stories have turned out to be BS and so will this one.

I agree with you but the media can make a very big deal out of this which they probably will and the FAA will most likely see them and put more restrictions. Total BS
2018-2-16
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Likely this guy training in the Robinson helicopter by the trees.  

2018-2-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-16 18:37
Sorry to burst your bubble but the drone flight above the Las Vegas airliner near the airport was real and is still under investigation by the faa.(it was not a video game or a hoax)

It’s total and utter fake news,
2018-2-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-16 19:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXA-gjeLLqE

That’s amazing ...
2018-2-17
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Sounds like a very bad pilot accidentally crashed a helicopter and blamed it on a drone
2018-2-17
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-17 02:21
It’s total and utter fake news,

12#
Dec 14, 2017 · Federal investigators ruled Thursday that a drone pilot crashed his remote-controlled aircraft into an Army helicopter because he flew it farther away than ...

This is happening more often and is not a hoax or bs stories as Hallmark believes- above is another recent incident - they actually found peices of the drone embedded in the army helicopter.

Bury your head in the sand, believe what you want but these are not fake news stories - reputable sources are reporting these incidents - which probably lead to more regs

Quebec City
Army helicopter
Seattle guy's drone hits people he gets jail and fined
Las Vegas airport incident
South Carolina

Just be aware and fly according to the rules and promote others to do the same is the bottom line - because we all will suffer when a few bad apples cause issues.

2018-2-17
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

The description is very shady and seems to be a concocted tale to pursue a witchhunt. If the drone operator was flying out of the fields airspace, below 400ft AGL and within line of site. this will be a live and learn event but it's also the drone operators responsibility to give way to manned aircraft. If the heli pilot was trying to be some maverick that will be a different store altogether.
2018-2-17
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

JoeCec Posted at 2018-2-17 05:56
The description is very shady and seems to be a concocted tale to pursue a witchhunt. If the drone operator was flying out of the fields airspace, below 400ft AGL and within line of site. this will be a live and learn event but it's also the drone operators responsibility to give way to manned aircraft. If the heli pilot was trying to be some maverick that will be a different store altogether.

It's being investigated by the faa and NTSB so only time will tell - but the damage may already be done - just the presence of these type of stories may influence law makers etc..

But let's hope for the best and promote safe flying and following of the rules etc..
2018-2-17
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-17 06:14
It's being investigated by the faa and NTSB so only time will tell - but the damage may already be done - just the presence of these type of stories may influence law makers etc..

But let's hope for the best and promote safe flying and following of the rules etc..

Exactly right. The news always covers the negative, but if it ever is reported that the pilot of the Helicopter was in the wrong it will be a little blip and disappear. That's why we need to be super aware of our surroundings when we fly. Especially part 107 pilots.
2018-2-17
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Captain
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-2-17 03:22
Sounds like a very bad pilot accidentally crashed a helicopter and blamed it on a drone

That was also a possibility that was discussed in one of the articles I had read about the incident.

As of this morning there have been no updates to the story. You'd think there would be an update that would at least mention debris from a crashed drone having been found in the area. Unless they're waiting for investigation results before releasing that info?
2018-2-17
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-2-17 08:26
That was also a possibility that was discussed in one of the articles I had read about the incident.

As of this morning there have been no updates to the story. You'd think there would be an update that would at least mention debris from a crashed drone having been found in the area. Unless they're waiting for investigation results before releasing that info?

The drone did not crash or physically hit the helicopter - per the helicopter instructor that was flying the helicopter, the helicopter crashed avoiding the drone
2018-2-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my opinion, the helicopter pilot's story has at least one glaring lie. If he were in fact 50 feet above the trees, how could it be possible for the tail rotor to hit a tree?
2018-2-17
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Captain
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-17 08:43
The drone did not crash or physically hit the helicopter - per the helicopter instructor that was flying the helicopter, the helicopter crashed avoiding the drone

OK. I thought it had struck the helicopter in some capacity. Thanks for clarifying that.
2018-2-17
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Notice how this R-22 pilot called for his passenger to help clear the tail rotor from the trees before grabbing the RC model.  Pilots often don't have an accurate feel for how much aircraft is hanging out behind them.  

Helicopter pilots are also funny in that they will pivot the heli in place around their butt/seat rather than the center of the aircraft.  It results in real helicopter's fuselage transcribing a large area when they pivot versus a model helicopter that the remote pilot always rotates around the rotor shaft.  Barely bigger than the rotor disk.

That is how I bet the R-22 accident put his tail into the trees.
2018-2-17
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

You know, it would need to be a mighty expensive R/C airplane to be worth the cost of bringing in a helicopter to retrieve it from a tree.

Between pilot time, fuel, etc., I'd warrant it cost more to fly the helicopter than it would have to replace the airplane. Not to mention, even an expensive model airplane is not worth risking the safety of the helicopter and two people aboard.

But that's just me. I have this silly idea that stuff can be replaced. Lives cannot.
2018-2-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-17 05:47
12#

Don’t be quoting other stories, I’m talking about OP and that is BS. I can quote many more fake stories but let’s stick to this one.
2018-2-17
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-17 10:54
Don’t be quoting other stories, I’m talking about OP and that is BS. I can quote many more fake stories but let’s stick to this one.

The topic is reckless pilots and increased regulations - the story in South Carolina is just one example - I am sorry if you downplay the importance of these stories and call them fake news but it will affect us all if new regulations are enacted - calling stories fake or hoaxes just because you don't agree with them are not helping

In South Carolina the NTSB, FAA and local police are still investigating - just the fact that this has to be investigated and a drone is involved will not reflect well in legislative eyes.

As members of the drone community we need not to downplay these issues and support following regulations etc.. so we don't lose the privilege of hobbyist flying.
2018-2-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-17 11:07
The topic is reckless pilots and increased regulations - the story in South Carolina is just one example - I am sorry if you downplay the importance of these stories and call them fake news but it will affect us all if new regulations are enacted - calling stories fake or hoaxes just because you don't agree with them are not helping

In South Carolina the NTSB, FAA and local police are still investigating - just the fact that this has to be investigated and a drone is involved will not reflect well in legislative eyes.

“As members of the drone community we need not to downplay these issues”

Yes that’s true but you should not try to increase the hype by printing half the story.

As far as I know, this is the first aviation accident alleged to have been directly caused by a drone. Interestingly, a local aerial videography company has accused Holy City Helicopters of fabricating the story to cover up simple pilot error and has further alleged that the company has a history of reckless and illegal behavior. The FAA has indicated they have no comment at this time.
2018-2-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, great skills.
2018-2-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-17 11:25

Yes that’s true but you should not try to increase the hype by printing half the story.

So we wait and see what will be concluded.
Hope for the best.
2018-2-17
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-17 11:25

links and sources are given it is up to the reader to do a little reading and research for themselves before calling stories hoaxes and fake news. No one is posting entire articles in a forum

Especially before the NTSB, FAA and police finish there investigation and make a ruling you've already made your conclusion

maybe you know more than the investigators

2018-2-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-17 14:50
links and sources are given it is up to the reader to do a little reading and research for themselves before calling stories hoaxes and fake news. No one is posting entire articles in a forum

Especially before the NTSB, FAA and police finish there investigation and make a ruling you've already made your conclusion

Well if your going to take clips from tabloids then at least show both sides, that’s my point, this kind of stuff is now being posted as fake news all over the world on a weekly basis and 99.9% are just fake that’s a fact.
I’m a fully licensed SUA operator and I fly by the rules of whatever jurisdiction I fly in, changing rules won’t make any difference in curbing idiots from what they do, so if  rules are changed we will still have the idiots and I’m sure the FAA and all aviation authorities are well aware of this, this should not be about changing the rules this should be about getting rid of the idiots.
2018-2-17
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-17 16:17
Well if your going to take clips from tabloids then at least show both sides, that’s my point, this kind of stuff is now being posted as fake news all over the world on a weekly basis and 99.9% are just fake that’s a fact.
I’m a fully licensed SUA operator and I fly by the rules of whatever jurisdiction I fly in, changing rules won’t make any difference in curbing idiots from what they do, so if  rules are changed we will still have the idiots and I’m sure the FAA and all aviation authorities are well aware of this, this should not be about changing the rules this should be about getting rid of the idiots.

As much as you want to call it fake news, hoax or it’s not fair it doesn’t change the facts that this is a growing issue

Legislatures don’t care about fair etc.. if it impacts safety they will take action

Here is a good article in the Washington Post - one of the most respected news outlets in the US regarding increased drone issues

https://www.washingtonpost.com/p ... 1fcec3fe_story.html

Note the 5th paragraph of the article

‘The accident investigation is the second incident involving a drone in less than a week and comes as aviation groups are demanding tighter regulations on civilian drone use following reports of other possible near collisions involving the devices.’

licensed or not, idiot or genius it doesn’t matter new regulations and bans will affect all of us
The bottom line is we all need to fly safely within the rules of our jurisdictions and promote others to do the same -

also in the article it states how dji is assisting in the investigation- thank you DJI

The sources I am reading are newsworthy sites AP, USA Today, Reuters - not flash in the pan you tubers
2018-2-17
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

dansmar Posted at 2018-2-16 15:15

you cant blame the pilots as irresponsible when SPARK itself flies irresponsibly !!
2018-2-18
Use props
Ram-UK
Captain
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I would have hit the drone instead of hitting the tree. where did he get his license from ? eBay
2018-2-18
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

Most reckless flying I've ever seen are those "cowboys" in Northern Territory in Australia. New Zealand pretty much the same.
Just google "helicopter herding" or mustering and you will get the idea. I am sure good fair of these don't hold PPL.
This kind of herding (collecting the livestock) I've also seen in Hawaii and some parts of South America, but these were far more "tame".

2018-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules