DJI said they'd "Fix" my Mavic Pro - But they Replaced it - Twice
1287 9 2018-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebCo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

I have had my Mavic Pro for a little over a year... and have had to send it back to DJI Support (Australia) for repair twice (once with Gimble damage, the other wioth a failed Compass board).  On both occassions they quoted to replace parts for a pretty reasonable price - and I gave the the go ahead - but when I got my drone back I discovered that they had actually replaced the whole unit - New Serial # and all.

I don't have an issue with this in principle, but my concern is that I was not informed that it was going to happen - and I have no idea what the history of the replacement drone is.

• Is it a new unit, or a refurbished one ?
  • What is its flight history ?
  • Does it have some other issue that I am not (yet) aware of ?
  • What is it's warranty/repair status ?
  • What happens if I discover a problem with the replacement unit ?

DJI Support did not tell me at any stage that they had swapped out the unit ... So at first I couldn't understand why the RC was not connecting...It was a while before I realised that it was a different serial number and probably had to be re-linked to the RC.... Some advice and instructions would have made it a lot easier.

Not sure if this is just a DJI Australia thing ?? Has anyone else had an unexpected "swap" when their drone was sent in for "repair" ?

I now (apparently) have a functioning Mavic Pro... and it only cost me $80 to "fix"... but I am concerned about what may go wrong next...

Am I being worried unneccessarily ??  

2018-2-16
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does Australia require drone registration?  That's the only issue I can think of, having a serial number that is not registered and someone else having your registered drone.
2018-2-16
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-16 19:06
Does Australia require drone registration?  That's the only issue I can think of, having a serial number that is not registered and someone else having your registered drone.

Australia does have a registration process - but it is by Pilot rather than Aircraft.

I am more concerned about not knowing the history of this aircraft... I know that the one I have been flying for a year "works"..... I don't know if my replacement one is a refurbished one that someone sent in for repair - and has maybe lots of flying hours... or a "new" one - with potential faults.
2018-2-16
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

From what I have read if it is a refurbished one it should have a R at the end of the serial number.
2018-2-16
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

No R on the new serial number.
2018-2-16
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

I also wonder I suppose what happens to my old drone.... Do they fix it and then send it out to someone else as a replacement  for their "repaired" drone ?
2018-2-16
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

WebCo Posted at 2018-2-16 19:39
I also wonder I suppose what happens to my old drone.... Do they fix it and then send it out to someone else as a replacement  for their "repaired" drone ?

Sears used to do that with tape measures.  They had a lifetime warranty but it took to long to fix them so they just had a drawer full of fixed ones and when you brought one back they'd give you one out of the drawer and put your old one in another drawer to fix later....did I just give away my age?
2018-2-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey WebCo, whether the drone will be repaired or replaced depends on the specific situation. The SN might be changed as well. More details, please visit this link: https://www.dji.com/service/policy
Policy.jpg
2018-2-16
Use props
WebCo
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-16 20:12
Hey WebCo, whether the drone will be repaired or replaced depends on the specific situation. The SN might be changed as well. More details, please visit this link: https://www.dji.com/service/policy

Thanks Susan,

That helps clarify things... and I don't mind a replacement per se... but I would have expected to have been informed that a replacement had been made.

My concern is primarily that I don't know the history of the replacement.

Curious to know how they can claim a replacement is "functionally equivalent to the original product" when they don't actually know the history of the original...
2018-2-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

WebCo Posted at 2018-2-16 22:15
Thanks Susan,

That helps clarify things... and I don't mind a replacement per se... but I would have expected to have been informed that a replacement had been made.

Flight testing will be conducted before shipping the unit. No worries. If you encounter any further issues, feel free to contact us, we'd like to help.
2018-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules