Disconnected during flight
4003 17 2018-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OC604
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1211 ft
Maldives

I was flying the Mavic and suddenly I was disconnected?

I do not know if the Mavic Air went back to "HOME" or not because I was flying almost directly above where I took off. Once it disconnected the Mavic Air just hovered in one spot about 9 feet off the ground. I tried many ways to reconnect with no luck so finally I just jumped up and grabbed it. Once I grabbed it you could hear and feel the Mavic Air wanting to go back to the spot I took it from. I even turned it sideways thinking it would turn off but the Mavic fought even harder to get back to its position. It finally gave up and stopped flying as I was trying to remove the battery.

What if the disconnect happens when I am not within reach of it?

Is there a way to reconnect to it?

Thanks
OC
2018-2-16
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"What if the disconnect happens when I am not within reach of it?"
2018-2-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Did the remote also disconnect or just the phone. Generally the remote should still be connected and you should have control with that. If the issue was just the phone try re-installing the app after backing up and syncing your flight logs
2018-2-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Did the remote also disconnect or just the phone. Generally the remote should still be connected and you should have control with that. If the issue was just the phone try re-installing the app after backing up and syncing your flight logs
2018-2-17
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"What if the disconnect happens when I am not within reach of it?"   Well, that's exactly what happened to me.  MA disconnected while directly above me and proceeded to return to home.  However the RTH stopped about 12ft above me.  Out of reach and no control of the MA.  In my case I turned off the remote and back on.  When it came back up it reconnected with the MA and I was able to land.  I have since been advised that the antenna angles when flying directly overhead is not good and that may have accounted for the disconnect.  I have read other reports though of disconnects in situations where the MA was very nearby and not directly overhead.
2018-2-17
Use props
arcoso
lvl.2
United States

"What if the disconnect happens when I am not within reach of it?"

Eventually the battery would run out and just fall, is my guess.  lol
2018-2-17
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

had simillar situation like 2 days ago :/ maiden flight (all updated thru app, all calibrations done before flight, all green statuses, gps, etc...)
first few minuts - great, no problem. sport- noisy but fast! but then when like 15m-20m away MA lost connection to remote, went RTH and come there no problem, tho did not land.
only way to regain control was to switch remote OFF and ON - then it connected and was able to fly it again.
after reporting to DJI was asked 1st to send it back.. as that little annoying on a 1day drone to send it back,  2nd they ask to refresh firmware with DJI assistant (here I stuck with remote not able to connect to PCs, but new USB drivers from DJI agent solved that...).
so now after refreshing firmware over USB, it works - did not get any d/c, but had time only for 2 short flights (weather) so still not conviced it works full ok - need more time to fly and test :/ my trust in MA is maybe not shattered, but also not big ;) Spark didn't do me any of that kind behavior
prev. post
problem with air losing connection to remote
2018-2-17
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-17 07:54
had simillar situation like 2 days ago :/ maiden flight (all updated thru app, all calibrations done before flight, all green statuses, gps, etc...)
first few minuts - great, no problem. sport- noisy but fast! but then when like 15m-20m away MA lost connection to remote, went RTH and come there no problem, tho did not land.
only way to regain control was to switch remote OFF and ON - then it connected and was able to fly it again.

Thank you for this reply, I do not remember if I turned off the remote or not? I did shut the app down.  I will look for new firmware updates but I am pretty sure I am all up to date.
2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

only way to regain control was to switch remote OFF and ON - then it connected and was able to fly it again.

Thank you for this reply, I do not remember if I turned off the remote or not? I did shut the app down.  I will look for new firmware updates, but I am pretty sure I am all up to date.
2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

Thank you for this reply, I do not remember if I turned off the remote or not? I did shut the app down.  I will look for new firmware updates, but I am pretty sure I am all up to date.
2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

RandyHat Posted at 2018-2-17 06:06
"What if the disconnect happens when I am not within reach of it?"   Well, that's exactly what happened to me.  MA disconnected while directly above me and proceeded to return to home.  However the RTH stopped about 12ft above me.  Out of reach and no control of the MA.  In my case I turned off the remote and back on.  When it came back up it reconnected with the MA and I was able to land.  I have since been advised that the antenna angles when flying directly overhead is not good and that may have accounted for the disconnect.  I have read other reports though of disconnects in situations where the MA was very nearby and not directly overhead.

2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

"What if the disconnect happens when I am not within reach of it?"   Well, that's exactly what happened to me.  MA disconnected while directly above me and proceeded to return to home.  However the RTH stopped about 12ft above me.  Out of reach and no control of the MA.  In my case I turned off the remote and back on.  When it came back up it reconnected with the MA and I was able to land.  I have since been advised that the antenna angles when flying directly overhead is not good and that may have accounted for the disconnect.  I have read other reports though of disconnects in situations where the MA was very nearby and not directly overhead.

2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

Suren Posted at 2018-2-17 06:05

remote was disconnected too
2018-2-18
Use props
OC604
lvl.1
Maldives

Suren Posted at 2018-2-17 06:05

remote was disconnected too
2018-2-18
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Welcome to my world. Been asking for 5 months with zero help from DJI's pathetic team.
2018-2-18
Use props
highhighdrone
New

Philippines

This happened to me. I am using Mavic 2 Zoom. The sky was clear, no obstacles, just some usual trees scattering and a wide farm area. I used the Waypoint Mode. Upon reaching 800m distance, the remote disconnected. As in the RC itself was disconnected from the drone, it didn't return to home (RTH was enabled), RC never reconnected, drone completely gone. Now what's next?
2019-12-3
Use props
BMW rider
lvl.1

United States

New Mavic Air owner here and had something similar happen to me a few days ago. The drone was headed away from me, about 75-100m distant and maybe 10m high. The controller suddenly lost its connection (red LED on the controller) and the drone became totally unresponsive. I watched fascinated as it climbed to about 20m, turned around, returned and automatically landed literally within 3 inches of where I launched it. While the RTH was confidence inspiring, the precision landing was very impressive.
2019-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules