What is a good estimate range of the spark with the controller
6986 16 2018-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_TomhVp0L0dCm
lvl.1
United States

I think DJI says it is is 1.2 miles but I keep reading about people flying it 2 + miles.  

Im new to drones.  Im getting some video tomorrow  that I have to fly above the trees.  Here in  texas where I live the trees are 110-130ft high and the forest is thick.  I was going to get a shot flying above the trees looking down.  At that point I will not be able to see my drone anymore.  Im a little worried that even with the map  i might lose my bearings.  I havent use the "return to home " feature yet.  I do have it set to 50 meters.  Anyone take shots like that where you cant see it?  I have flown it a few times in my yard and today really flew it for the first time.  Am I jumping the gun on get pictures where I loose site of the spark?  Should I wait for more flight time?

This is the video I made today.  My first real flight.  
2018-2-17
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

First off it is against regulations to fly without VLOS.
Beyond that 2000 meters is the manufacturer range 1.2 miles. Good luck, but I would recommend some FRS radios and a friend, to at least attempt maintaining VLOS.
2018-2-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Don't worry about this
"I havent use the "return to home " feature yet."  
The drone will do, as soon your RC is out "of reach"
2018-2-17
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

I know some people that take there Spark out of VLOS for long flights. Yes it's not recommend but it's done, the max distance I have personally seen is 1.2 miles before the AC lost connection. This was over a highly dence area with a ton of wifi so I'm sure you can pull a little more distance over water or in the country with less interference.
2018-2-18
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Risk goes way up as you fly a RC model further away.  Stick nearby yourself.  There is plenty of things that can be explored, filmed, or photographed, within eyesight.  Save the long range daring do's for when the Spark is old and boring.
2018-2-18
Use props
GRedling
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164058 ft
Hungary

Hi
I just purchaesd a spark and try to fly as much as possibel. I am testing the distance but cannot get over 200m even with signal booster. Any idea? The wifi setting is on automatic so I think it shoud change whenever is needed. Is it normal that the spark is decending if I am flying forward? I have the feeling that it does not fly horizontaly 100%. Is there any adjustment/setup? Why is the gimbal motor sometimes overloaded?
thanks
2018-2-18
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I got my Spark last week.  I've been flying a P3S for 2 years, so not new to drones.

In an urban area,  I got 1600 feet before loosing signal.   This was an urban park area, so not over homes, businesses, etc.   It was down a wide, large creek/drainage area.

In contrast, my P3S consistently lost signal in the same area at about 500 ft.

When the Spark lost signal,  it executed an RTH flawlessly.

1600 ft was way too far to fly.  If it hadn't been over a low-lying creek/drainage area,  I wouldn't have done it, as VLOS is almost impossible at that range.

One of the benefits of owning the spark, is that I can get close to what I want to film, and quickly launch at that point without massive setup like the P3 required.

Sid
2018-2-18
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

sidtx Posted at 2018-2-18 16:04
I got my Spark last week.  I've been flying a P3S for 2 years, so not new to drones.

In an urban area,  I got 1600 feet before loosing signal.   This was an urban park area, so not over homes, businesses, etc.   It was down a wide, large creek/drainage area.

I routinely fly my Spark up to a 1km away with no issues.  That's over 3000 ft.  I also navigate with the camera, visually way out of sight.  Zero issues.
2018-2-18
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
United States

DronerX Posted at 2018-2-18 16:43
I routinely fly my Spark up to a 1km away with no issues.  That's over 3000 ft.  I also navigate with the camera, visually way out of sight.  Zero issues.

I also have a Phantom 3S and have been able to achieve a distance of 1.3km, though I've read that people have gone much further.  I had to modify the controller antennas to get that distance.
2018-2-18
Use props
midwest Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21841 ft
United States

GRedling Posted at 2018-2-18 09:36
Hi
I just purchaesd a spark and try to fly as much as possibel. I am testing the distance but cannot get over 200m even with signal booster. Any idea? The wifi setting is on automatic so I think it shoud change whenever is needed. Is it normal that the spark is decending if I am flying forward? I have the feeling that it does not fly horizontaly 100%. Is there any adjustment/setup? Why is the gimbal motor sometimes overloaded?
thanks

To answer one of your questions, WI-FI range from your Phone or tablet will be very short compared to the 1.2KM advertised distance of the DJI proprietary Wi-Fi signal transmitted by the DJI controller.
2018-2-18
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

DronerX Posted at 2018-2-18 16:46
I also have a Phantom 3S and have been able to achieve a distance of 1.3km, though I've read that people have gone much further.  I had to modify the controller antennas to get that distance.

I think that I would never get that distance.  Where I live and fly,  everyone and their dog has multiple wifi setups in their houses.   Plus extenders all over the place.   

When I look at the list of wifi attach points on my iPhone, it's usually 20+ that popup.

One interesting item that happens when I fly my Spark, is that it is complaining of the Bluetooth interference on my iPhone -- It's usually on as I use it in my vehicles consistently.  DJI Go 4 keeps complaining until I turn bluetooth off.

Sid
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd consider 1KM good going in a CE area
2018-2-19
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
United States

sidtx Posted at 2018-2-18 18:23
I think that I would never get that distance.  Where I live and fly,  everyone and their dog has multiple wifi setups in their houses.   Plus extenders all over the place.   

When I look at the list of wifi attach points on my iPhone, it's usually 20+ that popup.

Great point.  Shutting off blue tooth on your iPhone makes a huge difference.  It really cuts down on the interference and extends the range.
2018-2-19
Use props
GRedling
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164058 ft
Hungary

GRedling Posted at 2018-2-18 09:36
Hi
I just purchaesd a spark and try to fly as much as possibel. I am testing the distance but cannot get over 200m even with signal booster. Any idea? The wifi setting is on automatic so I think it shoud change whenever is needed. Is it normal that the spark is decending if I am flying forward? I have the feeling that it does not fly horizontaly 100%. Is there any adjustment/setup? Why is the gimbal motor sometimes overloaded?
thanks

I think the right answer what I was looking for is the FCC mode. The frequency of the connection between the spark and the remote controller is higher in the US than in EU. This means that in the US you will be able to fly further than in the EU. (but there is a way...)
2018-2-20
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

1.2KM is my max before turning back.  I did not lose signal at that point, but it was getting laggy.  Ideal conditions.

I have lost connection in as little as 300-400metres, but this was in poor conditions.  (it RTH'd where I could then pick up a signal again)
2018-2-20
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.3
Flight distance : 520512 ft
United States

I have gone over a mile with no loss of signal. but, it made me squeamish and i flew it back. no latency or loss of connection. matter of fact I have NEVER lost connectivity (knock on wood) but i haven't flown very many times.
2018-2-22
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

Normal conditions near a lot of different WiFi routers I can get 3,000 feet average, with no WiFi around I can go 6,346 feet or 1.2 miles just like they say. You might be able to pull a little more distance from the bird though as others have shown
2018-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules