Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IMU not calibrating anymore.
877 24 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spoki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102257 ft
Philippines

I am.on vacation in Philippines and not able to use my spark.
It has problems with RC controller and IMU calibration.
Worked in Germany and here not.
M.laatbdaS without using it very frustrating.
I already deleted the app. And I tried Just only.use smartphone.
No  change of behavior.
An ideas.
Sorry . Screenshots in Germany.
I am.ao frustrated.

Roland
FC8C6229-55AA-41EE-8438-B03BD56D74B2.png
452BA2E6-4058-4AB1-B15C-0F2F832A5B20.jpeg
2018-2-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hey, did you crash your drone? I would recommend you contact our support and start a case for further check: http://www.dji.com/support . Thanks for your understanding.
2018-2-21
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Philippines

Long chat with support. Reinstall firmware and app no solution.
I fly.back home  without pictures from vacation. Will send to repair  when I am home. Very disappointed.
2018-2-22
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

Update who is interested.
I am back home since yesterday, and i wanted call Support how to continue.
Before doing that i tried all again, it still not worked. Imu still error -71during calibration.
Than i tried install dji go app on my IPad mini and started same procedure and see it works.
Tried after that with my iPhone x and it was usable again.
I installed the app new on the iPhone x before!

So what i did now was chatting the DJI Support. I explained that i was 10000 km from home and i could not fly and how i solved it.
I asked for a check of logs or Explanation to be sure when i travel next time i am not in the same issue.
After a Long Chat they told me that iPhone x is not supported so this might have been the issue from beginning.

What you think about that?

I am traveling soon again and now very afraid to have the same Situation again.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Roland

2018-2-26
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Spoki Posted at 2018-2-26 23:54
Update who is interested.
I am back home since yesterday, and i wanted call Support how to continue.
Before doing that i tried all again, it still not worked. Imu still error -71during calibration.

Is it possible that you have different iOS versions on your iPad and your iPhone? I haven't read all of it, but there's a thread about compatibility issues between DJI GO and iOS 11, and I think there were problems with 11.2.5. I don't know if that is still the case, and I don't know about 11.2.6 either. I have an iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2.2, so far I didn't upgrade for this reason.

My suggestion for your next trip would be to bring your iPad as well (and if it is still on iOS 11.2.2, don't upgrade).

2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you uninstall and reinstall the DJIGO4 Application and try re-calibrating the compass?
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I wonder how the compass can be needing calibration, from the time you last used the Spark or another DJI drone, to the time you next used the Spark, especially if you fly on another day in the same location regularly without needing re-calibration?
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 16:16
I wonder how the compass can be needing calibration, from the time you last used the Spark or another DJI drone, to the time you next used the Spark, especially if you fly on another day in the same location regularly without needing re-calibration?

Would that technically be something to be cautious about when flying your Spark (if that happens)?
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 16:17
Would that technically be something to be cautious about when flying your Spark (if that happens)?

Does DJI recommend not flying that time if the re-calibration is needed after using the Spark in the same exact location regularly without showing signs of any error?
2018-2-27
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-27 15:53
Is it possible that you have different iOS versions on your iPad and your iPhone? I haven't read all of it, but there's a thread about compatibility issues between DJI GO and iOS 11, and I think there were problems with 11.2.5. I don't know if that is still the case, and I don't know about 11.2.6 either. I have an iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2.2, so far I didn't upgrade for this reason.

My suggestion for your next trip would be to bring your iPad as well (and if it is still on iOS 11.2.2, don't upgrade).

All on the same IOS versions.
But thanks for the tip.
2018-2-28
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 16:14
Did you uninstall and reinstall the DJIGO4 Application and try re-calibrating the compass?

Yes i did before.
No difference.
2018-2-28
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 16:16
I wonder how the compass can be needing calibration, from the time you last used the Spark or another DJI drone, to the time you next used the Spark, especially if you fly on another day in the same location regularly without needing re-calibration?

It was the compass and IMU, because i travelded 10000 km i guess.
Compass went well but IMU failed.
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Spoki Posted at 2018-2-28 02:58
Yes i did before.
No difference.

Did you try and do a factory reset of the craft. With the Spark, if you hold the power button for 9 seconds it will beep repeatedly and then enter a reset back to factory settings?
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Spoki Posted at 2018-2-28 02:59
It was the compass and IMU, because i travelded 10000 km i guess.
Compass went well but IMU failed.

The IMU is tricky to calibrate consistently. Usually it could be a bit temperamental...
2018-2-28
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-28 05:59
Did you try and do a factory reset of the craft. With the Spark, if you hold the power button for 9 seconds it will beep repeatedly and then enter a reset back to factory settings?

Hi, yes i tried that also.  Solution was use different device but i am still afraid that it will fail again in other region / country when i travel.
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Spoki Posted at 2018-2-28 06:26
Hi, yes i tried that also.  Solution was use different device but i am still afraid that it will fail again in other region / country when i travel.

What device are you using?
2018-2-28
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

1. Iphone x did not work to calibrate IMU.
2. Ipad Mini worked than at home.
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Spoki Posted at 2018-2-28 07:29
1. Iphone x did not work to calibrate IMU.
2. Ipad Mini worked than at home.

Wow, you can't go wrong with iPhone X or iPad Mini, so I'm thinking it's the hardware of your Spark.
2018-2-28
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-28 06:00
The IMU is tricky to calibrate consistently. Usually it could be a bit temperamental...

It shouldn't be, it's pretty straightforward actually. I check the IMU before every flight, and I have been calibrating it quite a few times (probably a few times too many, but there's no harm in that). I've never had the slightest problem with the calibration process, and I don't see what's tricky about it. The compass can be "tricky" in the sense that a lot of times, it's better to remove the Spark from the source of the magnetic interference rather than calibrate the compass, but not the IMU.

2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-28 09:10
It shouldn't be, it's pretty straightforward actually. I check the IMU before every flight, and I have been calibrating it quite a few times (probably a few times too many, but there's no harm in that). I've never had the slightest problem with the calibration process, and I don't see what's tricky about it. The compass can be "tricky" in the sense that a lot of times, it's better to remove the Spark from the source of the magnetic interference rather than calibrate the compass, but not the IMU.

Usually if need be to calibrate the IMU then I will calibrate the Compass and Remote so that everything aligns up well.
2018-2-28
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-28 13:59
Usually if need be to calibrate the IMU then I will calibrate the Compass and Remote so that everything aligns up well.

You're free to do that, but each of these 3 are independent of each other.

- IMU: I only ever calibrate the IMU if the bias values (in Settings>Main Controller Settings>Sensors) are higher than normal (usually 0.00x). I do it at home since you need a flat floor and there should be no vibrations during the process, and I just check it before takeoff.

- Compass: I only calibrate the compass if the magnetic interference meter is higher than usual (in Settings>Main Controller Settings>Sensors), and if I'm at a location where I know there's very little real interference. In this scenario, the interference meter will show a much lower value after calibration, and stay that way. But most of the time it's easier, and actually better, to locate the source of the interference and move the aircraft a few meters, especially if you get a "compass error" message. In my mind, I can't see any reason to calibrate the compass just because you calibrated the IMU.

- Remote control calibration: As far as I know, this is about the position of the sticks of the RC, e.g. so that the system knows if the sticks are in the center, up, down, left or right (and how much). So it's quite unrelated to the IMU and the compass, and there's really no reason to ever calibrate the RC unless you notice something strange.
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-28 17:35
You're free to do that, but each of these 3 are independent of each other.

- IMU: I only ever calibrate the IMU if the bias values (in Settings>Main Controller Settings>Sensors) are higher than normal (usually 0.00x). I do it at home since you need a flat floor and there should be no vibrations during the process, and I just check it before takeoff.

I only was told by DJI Technical Support upon my Remote Controller and Spark not being perfectly aligned to each other when flying that all three calibrations were needed, and they stressed IMU should be re-calibrated if anything noticeably feels different when flying?
2018-2-28
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-28 17:43
I only was told by DJI Technical Support upon my Remote Controller and Spark not being perfectly aligned to each other when flying that all three calibrations were needed, and they stressed IMU should be re-calibrated if anything noticeably feels different when flying?

If DJI told you to calibrate the RC, it was probably necessary, and it can't do any harm, so there's no risk in trying that if you notice something weird. But it is not something that has to be done all the time or regularly, and you don't have to do it because you calibrated the IMU or the compass. However, I guess it makes sense, before you calibrate the RC, to make sure that the compass and the IMU are also calibrated.
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-28 20:56
If DJI told you to calibrate the RC, it was probably necessary, and it can't do any harm, so there's no risk in trying that if you notice something weird. But it is not something that has to be done all the time or regularly, and you don't have to do it because you calibrated the IMU or the compass. However, I guess it makes sense, before you calibrate the RC, to make sure that the compass and the IMU are also calibrated.

I performed all calibrations as DJI instructed and my cursory problems subsided.
2018-3-1
Use props
Spoki
lvl.1
Germany

I just give it a try when travel next time. And I hope not have same problem again. Thanks  for your assistance.

Roland
2018-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules