Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is there any way to adjust focus on the DJI goggles?
16187 15 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4fb9946d
lvl.1
United States

My new DJI goggles linked flawlessly with my Mavic Pro, and all functions seem to be working.  But the view through the goggles is extremely out of focus.  The view through my smart phone (and the video recordings) are still sharp.   I do need mild reading glasses, but they don't seem to help with a screen that is 1 inch away from my eye.
2018-2-18
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

No - you cannot adjust focus on the DJI Goggles.  Only young people that don’t need glasses can focus on an LCD screen 2 inches away from their eyeballs. If you need reading glasses, then you will need to go and buy even stronger reading glasses that are about two diopters stronger in order to see the DJI Goggles LCD screens clearly. If you are over 40 and don’t need reading glasses to read you will probably need reading glasses in order to see the DJI Goggles screens in sharp focus.  There is a custom option that a third party (focus-fixers.com) sells that provides custom lenses with plastic frames that snap securely in place in front of each DJI Goggles lens.  I own these and they work perfectly.  
2018-2-18
Use props
fans4fb9946d
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the advice!    I bought a stronger pair of reading glasses yesterday afternoon and it fixed  the problem.    Now that I know what diopter I need, the Focus-fixers seem like a really good option.
2018-2-19
Use props
wobbles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans4fb9946d Posted at 2018-2-19 03:29
Thanks for the advice!    I bought a stronger pair of reading glasses yesterday afternoon and it fixed  the problem.    Now that I know what diopter I need, the Focus-fixers seem like a really good option.

check ebay , much cheaper and works a treat in UK sure some people in us would have done the same
2018-3-14
Use props
Arther01
New

I am EXTREMELY angry at this company right now.  I have wasted money and time buying these goggles.  The fact that they would not include a diopter function for different eye sights is completely amateur ass work.  This company lost me as a customer years ago due to design errors like this one, I came back HOPING they had matured.  No luck.  Damnit.  I hate people that have good ideas and are too lazy to follow thru with the most OBVIOUS things.
Jay
2018-5-19
Use props
Jim Weist
New

Canada

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-2-18 10:56
No - you cannot adjust focus on the DJI Goggles.  Only young people that don’t need glasses can focus on an LCD screen 2 inches away from their eyeballs. If you need reading glasses, then you will need to go and buy even stronger reading glasses that are about two diopters stronger in order to see the DJI Goggles LCD screens clearly. If you are over 40 and don’t need reading glasses to read you will probably need reading glasses in order to see the DJI Goggles screens in sharp focus.  There is a custom option that a third party (focus-fixers.com) sells that provides custom lenses with plastic frames that snap securely in place in front of each DJI Goggles lens.  I own these and they work perfectly.

me 2  , i love them
2018-5-19
Use props
An3s Erasmus
New

South Africa

Arther01 Posted at 5-19 04:34
I am EXTREMELY angry at this company right now.  I have wasted money and time buying these goggles.  The fact that they would not include a diopter function for different eye sights is completely amateur ass work.  This company lost me as a customer years ago due to design errors like this one, I came back HOPING they had matured.  No luck.  Damnit.  I hate people that have good ideas and are too lazy to follow thru with the most OBVIOUS things.
Jay

I agree! It really sucks!
2018-11-17
Use props
unrepeatable raddish
lvl.1

United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-2-18 10:56
No - you cannot adjust focus on the DJI Goggles.  Only young people that don’t need glasses can focus on an LCD screen 2 inches away from their eyeballs. If you need reading glasses, then you will need to go and buy even stronger reading glasses that are about two diopters stronger in order to see the DJI Goggles LCD screens clearly. If you are over 40 and don’t need reading glasses to read you will probably need reading glasses in order to see the DJI Goggles screens in sharp focus.  There is a custom option that a third party (focus-fixers.com) sells that provides custom lenses with plastic frames that snap securely in place in front of each DJI Goggles lens.  I own these and they work perfectly.

its actually 1 diopter stronger... however you will get chromatic abberation
2019-7-20
Use props
Swoop73
New

United States

unrepeatable raddish Posted at 7-20 14:41
its actually 1 diopter stronger... however you will get chromatic abberation

I've been reading reports of out of focus goggles here for 2 days. Got mine and they are unusable. DJI does brilliant engineering and misses the most basic rule of optics. Any design, be it goggles, a camera view finder or binoculars, has to focus on infinity and then any user with either normal or corrected vision, will be able to see a sharp image. This discussion about corrective lenses misses the elephant in the room...that they messed up the optics design. It's easily fixed with the currant production run- simply let us know what diopter value produces focus at infinity and send corrective lenses to us at no charge. It's the least DJI can do.
2019-12-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

Swoop73 Posted at 12-6 04:45
I've been reading reports of out of focus goggles here for 2 days. Got mine and they are unusable. DJI does brilliant engineering and misses the most basic rule of optics. Any design, be it goggles, a camera view finder or binoculars, has to focus on infinity and then any user with either normal or corrected vision, will be able to see a sharp image. This discussion about corrective lenses misses the elephant in the room...that they messed up the optics design. It's easily fixed with the currant production run- simply let us know what diopter value produces focus at infinity and send corrective lenses to us at no charge. It's the least DJI can do.

these goggles as designed with a 9 inch focal distance will actively ruin your visual accuity perminantly

I would think that this alone would open the company up to a very potential legal liability .. much cheaper to retrofit existing goggles with a stronger diopter lens and a focal distance of several feet.. idealy infinity vs paying out lawsuits for perminant vision damage

2019-12-19
Use props
djiuser_drtYOSex5ic3
New

United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-19 11:18
these goggles as designed with a 9 inch focal distance will actively ruin your visual accuity perminantly

I would think that this alone would open the company up to a very potential legal liability .. much cheaper to retrofit existing goggles with a stronger diopter lens and a focal distance of several feet.. idealy infinity vs paying out lawsuits for perminant vision damage

No...out-of-focus goggles won’t damage your vision in any way.

The goggles aren’t out of focus, your eyes just aren’t capable of focusing that close anymore. Your nearest convenience store has the reading glasses you need for $15.
2019-12-22
Use props
myhrmans
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19767 ft
Japan

Can't you change the focus on the glasses on the bottom side?
2019-12-22
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

djiuser_drtYOSex5ic3 Posted at 12-22 03:43
No...out-of-focus goggles won’t damage your vision in any way.

The goggles aren’t out of focus, your eyes just aren’t capable of focusing that close anymore. Your nearest convenience store has the reading glasses you need for $15.

No your statement is false.

Even if clear and you have 20/20 now. Forcing your ocular muscles to tighten and focus at 9” for extended periods will result in loss of accommodation and your vision will degrade. Period. Fact. End of discussion. It’s medical FACT.
2019-12-30
Use props
fansca9d9b3e
New

United States

myhrmans Posted at 2019-12-22 14:32
Can't you change the focus on the glasses on the bottom side?

No, that is just the horizontal shift of the lenses, presumably to align with the distance between your eyes.
2021-3-16
Use props
djiuser_ZMP0oa9YFhYS
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 2019-12-30 06:42
No your statement is false.

Even if clear and you have 20/20 now. Forcing your ocular muscles to tighten and focus at 9” for extended periods will result in loss of accommodation and your vision will degrade. Period. Fact. End of discussion. It’s medical FACT.

Silver dragon's post on the mavic flyers forum saved me a lot of bother and faffing about.

Conclusion: If you don't require glasses, or if you don't require glasses for anything other than for reading or other close-up work - you won't need them to use the DJI FPV V2 goggles.

The part that people have difficulty understanding is that even though the screen is 4" from your eyeballs, the goggles have lenses that create an image of the screen set at infinity. People that have difficulty focusing on things close to their face ie - pretty much everyone over 35 - don't need to worry. You'll see through the goggles just fine.

Counter intuitively, people like Joshua Bardwell who have mytopia - or near sightedness - will not be able to focus their eyes on the image presented by the DJI goggles without their regular prescription lenses. Even though the screens are so close to their eyes, the light from the screen is passing through the DJI lenses that set the image at infinity.
2022-2-16
Use props
djiuser_ZMP0oa9YFhYS
lvl.1

United Kingdom

So anybody reading this thinking: I don't want to break my eyes trying to focus on something perched on the end of my nose - I don't blame you.

But it simply isn't like that.

I have to hold my phone a good 18" away to read what's on the screen. When I solder, I use 3.5 readers. When I wrench on RC cars, 1.5 - 2.5 are fine. When I look into my DJI FVP V2 goggles, the image is perfect with no glasses.

Yet my eyesight is better than 20/20 unaided. I can see at 30 feet what most people strive to see at 20. However, there's no getting away from the fact that the older you get, the ciliary muscles get weaker and your eyes have less accommodation - or focusing ability - for things that are close to your eyes.

So remember: it's not DJI's fault if your eyes require prescription lenses. Their Goggles create an image set at Infinity. If this image doesn't work for you - don't get mad - go to an optician and correct your vision!
2022-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules