Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air issue, crashed drone.
7839 38 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mtaz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39272 ft
Sweden

Hi,

I recently bought my first drone when i found out that DJI released this new smaller model named Mavic Air
Have been flying about 25-30 time with this drone and can´t say anything more than i love it.

Now to the issue...

I had been flying the whole day and charged the batteries before i went back out again.
Placed the drone on the flat surface, a big parking lot.
Checked that everything were alright and set RTH and got the status "Ready to go - GPS"
It was getting dark outside but i were only about to fly over the big football field so i wasn´t worried about that the drone warned about that the "weak light, obstacle avoidance might not work"
I used the automatic take off and slide to start function and before it reached 1,2 meters and hoovers as it should it started flying backwards, leaning and i noticed that one prop were spinning much slower the it should. Paniced a little and tried to land the drone on the grass but the drone flew uncontrollable in the ground before hitting a wood fence.

The drone is ok i think, just damaged two props and bent one laning gear backwards a little more but i could easily fix that.
Instead of auto take off I this time tried to manually start the drone after prop change but it wont lift correctly, same problem, the back left prop spins to slow.
All settings seems to bee fine and I havent changed anything during the whole time. Now warnings, nothing...

Have anyone else had the same problem? I´v mailed DJI and waitning thier answer.

https://youtu.be/7syS9jNwo9s
2018-2-18
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

If one motor is impeded, the AC will never fly right.
Check for dirt or other foreign object in that motor.
2018-2-18
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-2-18 10:31
If one motor is impeded, the AC will never fly right.
Check for dirt or other foreign object in that motor.

I checked the motor directly after the crash and couldn’t find any dirt or foreign objects. I used compressed air to clean it and didn’t feel any difference in resistance when spinning the motor with my finger.
2018-2-18
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3615768 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just sent mine in for repair/review for a similar issue. I was inside a well lit gym...open space...and it would start to drift backwards. It wouldn't allow me to do anything bu descend. It would not move forward or to the sides...nor even turn. It crashed.

Now it was about a 3 to 4 foot crash. Nothing damaged but a blade and a few scuffs...but I did not want to fly it if it behaves this way. I sent it in to be checked out...and soon I got a price estimate of over 300 bucks to replace the camera...gimbal...3 of the 4 arms...the upper shell and bottom shell. Keep in mind none of that was damaged. I even tested it out afterwards. Not sure where they pretended to repair or investigate that but needless to say I was angry.

So I told them how angry I was with this garbage and they asked me to send in flight data. Now I'm just waiting of their reply.

I have looked and looked for someone else to have had my issue. So glad I found this post!
2018-2-21
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I emailed today...(since this was the 4th business day and I hadn't heard anything back from DJI)...and got a response back saying they have moved it now from the repair department and now checking the flight data. This tells me that the email prior...asking me to pay $313 dollars for repairs...was on repairs not needed. Because according to the previous responsr...it was the repair department that would have to check the flight data first before escalating it to a higher department. Well...if they cleared it for further review...what on earth did they do for 2 repair hours and how did they come up with things that needed replacement when they didn't. Ridiculous DJI...ridiculous
2018-2-22
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Oh...and by the way...I still get emails asking me to go ahead and pay the $313...lol. even though it's being "investigated" :p I expect this from a toy company DJI...Not a Professional Aerial Photography manufacturer DJI.
2018-2-22
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

artDragoon Posted at 2018-2-21 16:42
I just sent mine in for repair/review for a similar issue. I was inside a well lit gym...open space...and it would start to drift backwards. It wouldn't allow me to do anything bu descend. It would not move forward or to the sides...nor even turn. It crashed.

Now it was about a 3 to 4 foot crash. Nothing damaged but a blade and a few scuffs...but I did not want to fly it if it behaves this way. I sent it in to be checked out...and soon I got a price estimate of over 300 bucks to replace the camera...gimbal...3 of the 4 arms...the upper shell and bottom shell. Keep in mind none of that was damaged. I even tested it out afterwards. Not sure where they pretended to repair or investigate that but needless to say I was angry.

I’m glad that there is just not only me having this problem, even if I’m sorry for you having problem with your drone

Sounds really strange thou that DJI doesn’t approve your repair case as a warranty in the first contact.
Hopefully they will do that in the second attempt.

Please keep me updated!
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Mtaz, sorry for the late response. It is recommended to send the unit in for diagnosis and repair: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care once the package arrived.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

artDragoon Posted at 2018-2-22 16:43
Oh...and by the way...I still get emails asking me to go ahead and pay the $313...lol. even though it's being "investigated" :p I expect this from a toy company DJI...Not a Professional Aerial Photography manufacturer DJI.

Could you tell us your case number? I'd like to check the exact status and see whether we can help.
2018-2-25
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-25 23:22
Hey Mtaz, sorry for the late response. It is recommended to send the unit in for diagnosis and repair: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care once the package arrived.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your post. I´ve contacted your support for a couple of days ago and already sent in my drone.
Just praying that my case is solved without any further problems and as a warranty like it should be!
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mtaz Posted at 2018-2-26 05:32
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your post. I´ve contacted your support for a couple of days ago and already sent in my drone.

Sure, hope everything goes smoothly and you will get it back soon, please post the case number here if you need any further assistance during the repair process, we will do our best to help.
2018-2-26
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-25 23:23
Could you tell us your case number? I'd like to check the exact status and see whether we can help.

CAS-1457007-X1Y8X7
2018-2-26
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I will say this...another friend of mine started having issues with his as well. We believe the issue is when the mavic air is switching back and forth between GPS and atti/ optical mode. It begins to override the user input and becomes unresponsive. We noticed it while we were out testing them and his had a bad GPS signal. Sometimes no signal. If this is the issue...then it's for sure a problem on DJI since you removed the ability to switch manually.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

artDragoon Posted at 2018-2-26 18:26
I will say this...another friend of mine started having issues with his as well. We believe the issue is when the mavic air is switching back and forth between GPS and atti/ optical mode. It begins to override the user input and becomes unresponsive. We noticed it while we were out testing them and his had a bad GPS signal. Sometimes no signal. If this is the issue...then it's for sure a problem on DJI since you removed the ability to switch manually.

Hi artDragoon, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with us, since you didn't require data analysis when you filled in online repair form, the invoice was sent to you directly after damage assessment, sorry for the inconvenience caused, we are making data analysis currently, please allow us more time, we will have someone to keep you updated about the result once it's done, appreciate your patience.
The second invoice was sent to you automatically by the system as a friendly reminder, please ignore it, hope the issue will get sorted out soon.
2018-2-26
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-26 19:18
Hi artDragoon, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with us, since you didn't require data analysis when you filled in online repair form, the invoice was sent to you directly after damage assessment, sorry for the inconvenience caused, we are making data analysis currently, please allow us more time, we will have someone to keep you updated about the result once it's done, appreciate your patience.
The second invoice was sent to you automatically by the system as a friendly reminder, please ignore it, hope the issue will get sorted out soon.

Lol. I didnt send it the first time because i wasnt asked too.

Secondly...just because I didn't send it to you does NOT excuse the fact your repair department tried to rip me off with bogus claims of parts needing to be replaced when in fact...I tested those parts and they were fine. 3 other people watched me...all of whom fly as well and there was NO damage to the drone ITSELF outside of scuffs and a broken blade. So excuse me if I seem a little irritated at the situation but I don't take being scammed lightly.

Again...as stated before...I expect this sort of shenanigans from a $20 toy company, not a professional drone company who's drones typically run between 400 and $20,000. Now I know you're trying to play the pr role here but the fact remains is that your repair department lied to me about what needed to be repaired and didn't even bother looking into the situation nor reading my description of what took place. It was only when I made a fuss that you asked for the flight data.
2018-2-27
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

And...I posted here so that this guy didn't feel like I did a few weeks ago...alone...and the only one with the issue. As far as I know now...there are 4 people with this problem
2018-2-27
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Just received 2nd update. Have to wait another 24 to 48 hours
2018-2-27
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

artDragoon Posted at 2018-2-27 08:57
And...I posted here so that this guy didn't feel like I did a few weeks ago...alone...and the only one with the issue. As far as I know now...there are 4 people with this problem

Appreciate it
My drone is recived by dji and the status is “Conducting Damage Assessment”

Keep us updated!
2018-2-28
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Mtaz Posted at 2018-2-28 06:25
Appreciate it  
My drone is recived by dji and the status is “Conducting Damage Assessment”

Just don't let them bs their way into getting money from you for things that weren't broken...nor were your fault. I am ok with paying for my fault...or pilot error. I'm not ok for paying for their software or malfunction...or even lies.
2018-2-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

artDragoon Posted at 2018-2-28 06:33
Just don't let them bs their way into getting money from you for things that weren't broken...nor were your fault. I am ok with paying for my fault...or pilot error. I'm not ok for paying for their software or malfunction...or even lies.

Thanks for your patience. We'll keep following up the status and will help you get an update soon.
2018-3-1
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So I feel like I should post an update. I'm disappointed in DJI. Their response is typical of a company that doesn't give 2 cents about their customers.

The reply from dji I receive today is as followed:

Thank you for contacting DJI.

This email is to inform you, an attempt to reach you via phone with no success was made today. Your case has been escalated to the appropriate department for further review. We have reviewed your information and our flight data analysis has determined that the incident will not be covered under warranty. The craft showed no signs of a manufacturing defect or malfunction.

Their bogus claims on the gimbal...the body...the camera...all needing replacement still not addressed...even though they were in PERFECT working order.

So...I submit at least the last flight log from the mavic air. The YouTube link is https://youtu.be/6XQWdyEEFJI

If you notice above where it shows travel distance...look at the speed at which the app thinks the drone is traveling...distance wise. If THIS alone isn't evidence enough that there was a malfunction then I don't know what is.

So...it would appear I'll be forced to either do a small claims against them or a chargeback. Chargeback will be easier.

I'm so disappointed in this and DJI. I have used them for years for my aerial business but this puts me seriously off! I hope yours fairs better.
2018-3-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

artDragoon Posted at 2018-3-1 17:11
So I feel like I should post an update. I'm disappointed in DJI. Their response is typical of a company that doesn't give 2 cents about their customers.

The reply from dji I receive today is as followed:

Hi there, please note that the drone might not be able to hold position when flying in no GPS and the condition does not meet the need to use the downward system to hold. So as the video shows, the distance still changes when you did not have stick input. And for the damage assessment, our engineers had done the overall check for the drone, and to ensure the full performance and flight stability, we will suggest changing the parts that needed. Thank you for your kind understanding. atti.png dq.png
2018-3-1
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-1 21:12
Hi there, please note that the drone might not be able to hold position when flying in no GPS and the condition does not meet the need to use the downward system to hold. So as the video shows, the distance still changes when you did not have stick input. And for the damage assessment, our engineers had done the overall check for the drone, and to ensure the full performance and flight stability, we will suggest changing the parts that needed. Thank you for your kind understanding.[view_image][view_image]

Those "suggestions" were not needed. Those "parts"...the camera, gimbal, 3 of the 4 arms, and shells were ALL fine because I tested them and looked them over. You guys gave bogus charges and that's unacceptable. This reminds me of the time there were numerous fly-always with the phantom 2 and vision plus systems...and your company blew it off as pilot error...only later sneaking in a firmware update to take care of some software issues on your end. Same as here. You have a serious issue where the drone locks up...and refuses the PIC input due to it losing GPS lock and switching of optical back and forth. This isn't a pilot error...this is a software issue. And I imagine...after a while, dji will sneak in a tweak here and there to correct it...while sticking it to their customer base who have had issues with it. It's happened other times...this will be no different.

I have no issues with flight control of drones without GPS. I can fly perfectly fine without it. But when I am forced into having no ability to control the drone due to software or hardware response...that's not my fault...and that's the fault of the manufacturer who developed the product with a malfunction. Period! It doesn't matter how you spin it...it's your issue.
2018-3-2
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-26 06:18
Sure, hope everything goes smoothly and you will get it back soon, please post the case number here if you need any further assistance during the repair process, we will do our best to help.

Wow, now i´m about to get p*ssed...

Just received an email that DJI want med to pay for new props.

Nothing about whats made the drone crash or anything.
This case is a warranty case and if you think anything else then I demand an detailed report of what made the drone crash.
Your support is closed atm so i couldn´t contact you right away.
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mtaz Posted at 2018-3-5 00:34
Wow, now i´m about to get p*ssed...

Just received an email that DJI want med to pay for new props.

May I have the case number so that I can help to check the details to make it clear for you? Thank you.
2018-3-5
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-5 01:00
May I have the case number so that I can help to check the details to make it clear for you? Thank you.

CAS-1493463-Z4R9X8
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Received with thanks! I've forwarded this to the local team for the double check. They will review and contact you soon. Appreciate your patience.
2018-3-6
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

Hopefully is everything soon solved and I can fly again, but I want to inform about my first experience of a malfunction drone. (electronics have malfunctions, but it´s how the company solve a problem that matters).

Ok here you go:

February 18 th,

The drone had a malfunction and crashed without me doing anything (you can read the whole story in my first post)

February 19 th,
I contacted DJI Support and started a repair case. Recievied an email from a very helpful support technical that DJI were sorry to hear about the problem with the drone and they wanted me to send it to DJI for repair.
I replied that the drone is only 9 days old and should be treated as DOA and exchange to a new one instead of an repair but of course after their technicians investigated it.
Later the same day, DJI responded that they wanted more information to determine if it would be eligible as a DOA.

February 20 th,
I gave DJI all the information they requested for the case to be handled as a DOA and they sent me a reply later that evening telling me it´s a DOA and a case number: CAS-1493463-Z4R9X8 and instruction how to print a shipping label and arrange the UPS pickup.
I replied the same evening/night and asked if they want me to send the whole fly more combo package or just the drone and I need to make sure there are no problems later because this.  

February 21st,
Had not received any answers from DJI if I would send everything or just the drone so I contacted DJI chat support and asked them to get an answer fast.
They got the case number and told me to send the drone without any accessories, just the drone.
Said and done, I arranged the UPS pickup and packed the drone.
A few hours later, I received a reply to the email I previously sent that they want everything sent to them, not just the drone... *doh*
I responded directly to the email that a colleague to him on chat support just said that only the drone should be sent so now I have done that!

February 22nd,
The same guy answered my email and said that there were no problems and DJI updated that only the drone is no problem(!)

March 2nd,
I received an email from DJI asking them to get all flight data and logs and I sent it immediately to DJI.

March 5th,
I received this email from DJI where they wanted me to pay 18 euros, for broken propellers...
Screenshot_1.png
I were now very annoyed so I called DJI support and asked why I should pay this and asked what it was that made them not covered by the warranty and DOA?
The answer were: you have to send an email.
Said and done and shortly afterwards I received an answer that the case is not DOA when the customer shipped the product without any original accessories and packaging...
They also said that "According to damage assessment, the propellers were mounted incorrectly and it was considered as pilot error. For pilot error, it will be no warranty, chargeable RMA". "Nothings wrong with the drone, you only need new propellers"
Strange was that I had flown all day with these propellers and furthermore, it was the propellers that came from DJI PRE MOUNTED and had never been removed.

If I was annoyed before, I was now p*ssed off!!
Wrote that I had never removed the propellers before the crash and I was asked to send the drone without accessories or packaging.
This is their reply: (They wanted to have the conversation log etc.)
Screenshot_2.png

I sat down directly and gave them every detail and information they asked about again and also the conversation that i had with thier support earlier.

March 7th,
I finally got an email where DJI wrote:
"Fly69
1.The aircraft worked in GPS mode.
2.The aircraft operated in flight, it crashed at 00:14, h = 1m.
Conclusion: Not pilot fault, free RMA"

I asked about what made the drone crash and the answer were:
"As to the reason, I am afraid the report don’t provide that. We have only been able to establish with certainty that your craft was responsible for the incident and not yourself."

So hopefully I´ll get a new drone now becuase i can´t trust this one.
I´ll give you an update when everything is all ok!
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mtaz Posted at 2018-3-7 12:59
Hopefully is everything soon solved and I can fly again, but I want to inform about my first experience of a malfunction drone. (electronics have malfunctions, but it´s how the company solve a problem that matters).

Ok here you go:

We apologize again for the unpleasant experience with us, I checked the case again, the drone is waiting for flight test and will be shipped out after quality evaluation. The email will be sent to you with the serial number and tracking number later, hope you will get it back very soon.
2018-3-7
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-7 23:24
We apologize again for the unpleasant experience with us, I checked the case again, the drone is waiting for flight test and will be shipped out after quality evaluation. The email will be sent to you with the serial number and tracking number later, hope you will get it back very soon.

Like I said, the case is a DOA and within 15 days. That means you should exchange the drone and not repair it. I don´t trust this one!  Please make sure of this and reply, thank you.
2018-3-7
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

This is also very strange, first DJI wanted me to pay 18 euro for two new propellers and they said nothing else were wrong or broken. Now in the new report (they want to repair not exchange the drone even if it´s a DOA) the sai that the propellers are still broken but now also the gimbal/camera will be repaired...!
Also, the props are now 14,88 euro not 18 euro like they wanted me to pay before. ¨

Screenshot_1.jpg

2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mtaz Posted at 2018-3-8 01:00
This is also very strange, first DJI wanted me to pay 18 euro for two new propellers and they said nothing else were wrong or broken. Now in the new report (they want to repair not exchange the drone even if it´s a DOA) the sai that the propellers are still broken but now also the gimbal/camera will be repaired...!
Also, the props are now 14,88 euro not 18 euro like they wanted me to pay before. ¨

In the previous quotation, the total payment includes VAT, after data analysis and double evaluation, we have confirmed it is a warranty case and already got the aircraft replaced, the drone will be shipped out very soon, thanks for your patience.
2018-3-8
Use props
Mtaz
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-8 03:42
In the previous quotation, the total payment includes VAT, after data analysis and double evaluation, we have confirmed it is a warranty case and already got the aircraft replaced, the drone will be shipped out very soon, thanks for your patience.

My bad missing the VAT.

The drone is on it´s way back now and i´ll let you know when i received it.
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mtaz Posted at 2018-3-8 23:14
My bad missing the VAT.

The drone is on it´s way back now and i´ll let you know when i received it.

No problem, hope you will get it back soon, if there is any further problem, please don't hesitate to let us know.
2018-3-9
Use props
artDragoon
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yea...I'm glad it worked out in your favor. Not so with me. They are still claiming false damages to the drone and so I'm pursuing another route with some other pilots I have contacted.
2018-3-14
Use props
djiuser_Fmj0DA7jzEeU
New

Australia

artDragoon Posted at 2018-2-26 18:26

I've had this exact same problem with my Mavic air but unfortunately when I lost control it went straight into the side of a jetty and into the lake. fortunately the flight record shows the drone going Haywire moments before it crashed. I have purchased the DJI refresh but I honestly feel that this was not pilot error and an issue with the hardware firmware software etc and therefore I should not be out of pocket and have to claim this way
2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_Fmj0DA7jzEeU Posted at 3-11 02:25
I've had this exact same problem with my Mavic air but unfortunately when I lost control it went straight into the side of a jetty and into the lake. fortunately the flight record shows the drone going Haywire moments before it crashed. I have purchased the DJI refresh but I honestly feel that this was not pilot error and an issue with the hardware firmware software etc and therefore I should not be out of pocket and have to claim this way

Hi there, we are so sorry for your loss, if the drone is still in the warranty period and you believe the accident has nothing to do with the pilot error, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket for the data analysis, we will provide the proper resolution according to the data analysis result. By the way, DJI Care Refresh will not cover any loss or partial loss.
2019-3-11
Use props
djiuser_NABaEp1tCqz2
New

United States

Ok, Here is my situation.  purchased one drone (mavic air) in mid December for Christmas.  Then loved it so much bought another for myself.  description of incident:  Son was flying using Samsung galaxy 8+.    He was flying at a park not to far from our house.  He had been practicing landing for a while,  He decided to go up to 200 feet and fly.  He used the left knob to go up and stop the aircraft. one of the arms folded/broke in mid flight, motors shut off, drone came crashing down.  We have two Mavic airs, and never have had any issues beside having to drain batteries completely before they would recharge fully.

I have since contacted DJI, sent drone in for repair/warranty I believe since it is a manufacturing defect.  Now been doing the email back and forth for weeks now.  We need this for the third time.
Application you used on your mobile device when you operated the aircraft:
Email address you used for the last flight:
Date of the incident:
Description of your incident: , we need this, we need this,  I think you get the point.  We have already sent in the exported flight records, and answered their questions AGAIN!  

Case Number CAS-2826365-R6S6L0 for when you tell me you will check the case and get back to me.  
2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_NABaEp1tCqz2 Posted at 4-1 12:34
Ok, Here is my situation.  purchased one drone (mavic air) in mid December for Christmas.  Then loved it so much bought another for myself.  description of incident:  Son was flying using Samsung galaxy 8+.    He was flying at a park not to far from our house.  He had been practicing landing for a while,  He decided to go up to 200 feet and fly.  He used the left knob to go up and stop the aircraft. one of the arms folded/broke in mid flight, motors shut off, drone came crashing down.  We have two Mavic airs, and never have had any issues beside having to drain batteries completely before they would recharge fully.

I have since contacted DJI, sent drone in for repair/warranty I believe since it is a manufacturing defect.  Now been doing the email back and forth for weeks now.  We need this for the third time.

Sorry for the unpleasant experience. Upon checking your case, the data analysis has been finished, the team will inform the result soon. As for the communication issue, I've escalated to the management to investigate. We'll check the exact status and keep offering a better experience for our valued customers. Appreciate your support and patience.
2019-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules