Rubber Gimbal Cover
3846 18 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Just curious what the purpose of the gray rubber gimbal cover is...

When I pack my Mavic Pro into the carrying bag, I always try to make sure the rubber cover is on the clear plastic gimbal protecter. More often than not, I find I'm spending a lot of time carefully placing it on the clear plastic cover and then carefully puttting it into the bag. When I pull the Mavic out of the bag, it *always* comes off.

I'm tempted just to leave it off all the time. Which got me wondering what the real purpose of the cover is...

Thanks.

MVIMG_20180218_133219.jpg
2018-2-18
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

in the initial marketing clips for the mavic pro the plastic cover was sometimes shown to be on the drone. A lot of those initial marketing shots were with the mavic racing through canyons and trees. i think it may have been the original idea that the plastic cover may have been a more permanent feature to protect the gimbal but subsequently, due most likely to the reflections it produces when flying in sunlight it became more common practice to leave it off than on. Perhaps as it was originally thought that it would be used more often and therefore the rubber would protect it from scratches.
2018-2-18
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-18 12:20
in the initial marketing clips for the mavic pro the plastic cover was sometimes shown to be on the drone. A lot of those initial marketing shots were with the mavic racing through canyons and trees. i think it may have been the original idea that the plastic cover may have been a more permanent feature to protect the gimbal but subsequently, due most likely to the reflections it produces when flying in sunlight it became more common practice to leave it off than on. Perhaps as it was originally thought that it would be used more often and therefore the rubber would protect it from scratches.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info...
2018-2-18
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I keep the silicon cover on to protect the plastic dome from bumps and scratching during storage and travel. I would never fly and film with the dome installed as it reduces clarity and blocks the air intake vent behind the gimbal.
2018-2-18
Use props
Isoflur
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1014974 ft
Canada

Celsus Posted at 2018-2-18 13:40
I keep the silicon cover on to protect the plastic dome from bumps and scratching during storage and travel. I would never fly and film with the dome installed as it reduces clarity and blocks the air intake vent behind the gimbal.

Also don't forget the air in take is also covered if this cover is used and could cause the Mavic to over heat.
2018-2-18
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

I keep the silicon cover on to protect the plastic dome from bumps and scratching during storage and travel. I would never fly and film with the dome installed as it reduces clarity and blocks the air intake vent behind the gimbal.

That's what I've been doing. But it seems to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

I understand the clear, rigid plastic cover may get scratched during storage and travel. Since I don't ever fly with it on, I"m thinking a few scratches wouldn't hurt it.
2018-2-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I bought the clear cover that also has the two clamps inside that hold the gimbal steady.  So that one cover protects the lens AND keeps the gimbal from moving during travel.  I thought that the rubber cover was simply for the initial shipment and was intended to be discarded along with the box.
2018-2-18
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-18 15:24
I bought the clear cover that also has the two clamps inside that hold the gimbal steady.  So that one cover protects the lens AND keeps the gimbal from moving during travel.  I thought that the rubber cover was simply for the initial shipment and was intended to be discarded along with the box.

Thanks StanfordWebbie. I've been thinking about buying one of the protective covers that doubles as the gimbal holder too.

As for discarding the rubber cover along with the box, guess that explains why I still have the box!!! hahahaha
2018-2-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-2-18 15:32
Thanks StanfordWebbie. I've been thinking about buying one of the protective covers that doubles as the gimbal holder too.

As for discarding the rubber cover along with the box, guess that explains why I still have the box!!!  hahahaha

Below is a link for it.  Two things, however:  1.  I  took a purple felt tip and colored the two prongs that will hold the gimbal.  It made them easier to see when I slip that cover on and need to get those two prongs positioned correctly.  2.  I taped a long red ribbon to the outside of the bubble.  If you start your quad with that thing on, the gimbal tries to move a bit during start up, and that clamp holds it tight.  You get a big warning that your gimbal is stuck and I'm sure that there would be a problem if you did that too many times.  With the long red ribbon, I never forget to remove the bubble before powering up.
https://www.amazon.com/Aterox-Pr ... 0_&dpSrc=detail

2018-2-18
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-18 16:55
Below is a link for it.  Two things, however:  1.  I  took a purple felt tip and colored the two prongs that will hold the gimbal.  It made them easier to see when I slip that cover on and need to get those two prongs positioned correctly.  2.  I taped a long red ribbon to the outside of the bubble.  If you start your quad with that thing on, the gimbal tries to move a bit during start up, and that clamp holds it tight.  You get a big warning that your gimbal is stuck and I'm sure that there would be a problem if you did that too many times.  With the long red ribbon, I never forget to remove the bubble before powering up.
https://www.amazon.com/Aterox-Protector-Transport-Accessories-Transparent/dp/B072JZHV2V/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JGKD1RPQ9GQGZGG5273H&dpID=51XYlg8MzYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Much better price on eBay
2018-2-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-18 17:07
Much better price on eBay

If you don't mind waiting 4 to 8 weeks for economy shipping from China.
2018-2-18
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-18 17:22
If you don't mind waiting 4 to 8 weeks for economy shipping from China.

I can only agree. But it's not a new battery, or new propellers. It is a substitute for parts we already have and that we can easily wait for. We can fly a little more while we wait, right.
2018-2-18
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I read somewhere that on early shipment of the MP, the dark foam cover was glued to the clear plastic cover. I would guess no only to protect it from betting scratch but to remind you to take it off if you want to film. Then later releases of the Pro the dark foam cover was being shipped loose (not glued) to the clear plastic cover. I used the clear plastic cover during my training days, and also when packed up in my travel case, but not anymore when flying and photographing.
2018-2-19
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

Hmmm...in that case, why would you care if the clear cover got any scratches? Asking for a friend....
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To protect the gimbal dome cover itself from being scratched on the occasions you may wish to fly the MP with the cover on. I don't bother so kind of pointless to me.
2018-2-19
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I fly on occasions with the clear dome on so keep the rubber cover the prevent scratches - but I also keep the whole unit in a soft Mavic sleeve. The dome offers a bit of aerodynamic flow so helps for a soother flight in windy conditions - and when it's a bit rainy stops water droplets getting into the interior. Contrary  to what is received wisdom - cooling air flow still has a side slot to pass through - so it is ok to fly with this cover on in places where the ambient temperature is cold to mild. Have had no problems apart from the reflections and some raindrops hanging off the underside - which I noticed when I tilted the camera down 90 degrees.
2018-2-19
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-2-19 04:36
Hmmm...in that case, why would you care if the clear cover got any scratches? Asking for a friend....

It comes with territory of keeping things looking right
2018-2-19
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-18 16:55
Below is a link for it.  Two things, however:  1.  I  took a purple felt tip and colored the two prongs that will hold the gimbal.  It made them easier to see when I slip that cover on and need to get those two prongs positioned correctly.  2.  I taped a long red ribbon to the outside of the bubble.  If you start your quad with that thing on, the gimbal tries to move a bit during start up, and that clamp holds it tight.  You get a big warning that your gimbal is stuck and I'm sure that there would be a problem if you did that too many times.  With the long red ribbon, I never forget to remove the bubble before powering up.
https://www.amazon.com/Aterox-Protector-Transport-Accessories-Transparent/dp/B072JZHV2V/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JGKD1RPQ9GQGZGG5273H&dpID=51XYlg8MzYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Good tips to keep in mind. Thanks!!
2018-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-18 12:20
in the initial marketing clips for the mavic pro the plastic cover was sometimes shown to be on the drone. A lot of those initial marketing shots were with the mavic racing through canyons and trees. i think it may have been the original idea that the plastic cover may have been a more permanent feature to protect the gimbal but subsequently, due most likely to the reflections it produces when flying in sunlight it became more common practice to leave it off than on. Perhaps as it was originally thought that it would be used more often and therefore the rubber would protect it from scratches.

I think I have read an early suggestion from DJI on that part.
For beginners or something.
But can't find it.
2018-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules