Mavic Air Lens Cap Won't Unscrew!
8370 37 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crazyant
lvl.3
Flight distance : 852392 ft
Switzerland

Hi everyone. I am trying to put my Polar Pro filters but the lens cap won't come off. I tried so many positions and put so much pressure that anything will simply shutter the gimbal (at least that's how it feels).

Any tips?
2018-2-18
Use props
fans18e8242d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2523225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wrap a rubber band around the cap and unscrew it with that!
2018-2-18
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

as fans says - use a rubber band and do not apply too much pressure around the cover you are trying to remove - rubber band, hold on gently and turn gently
2018-2-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The Mavic Air has a lens cap?
2018-2-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ah, it's got a screw-on/off bezel -- the Polar Pro site has a video that covers this, starts about 30 secs in:

2018-2-18
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine comes off pretty easily.  I hold the camera with one hand to keep the gamble still and unscrew with the other hand.
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Yup I find it easiest to lay the drone on its back grab the gimbal with one hand and grab the bezel with the other, remember no need for hulk strength
2018-2-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

I had a stuck lens filter on a camera lens that cost more than Mavic Pro.  I ended up using some gentle but warm air from a hair dryer to get lens filter to break loose.  Never figured out what caused lens filter to sieze up.
2018-2-18
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Mine was stupid tight from the factory. As the others said, use a rubber band to get grip. It can take a bit of force to get it going, just be sure to support/immobilise the gimbal. The issue doing it bare hands is the pressure from your fingers can disform the original slightly which makes it stick more. Also if it is stupid tight like mine was then it will move very slowly to start with, just keep consistent pressure and it will come.
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-18 17:58

I think it's a removable UV filter like on the Phantom series that unscrews for the use of ND's. Nice!
2018-2-19
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-19 06:16
I think it's a removable UV filter like on the Phantom series that unscrews for the use of ND's. Nice!

It's actually just a ring, no glass/plastic lens. UV filter in integral to the camera from what I've heard/read.
2018-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see - should have thought as much as UV filters are pricey. Thanks for the info
2018-2-19
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-19 07:07
It's actually just a ring, no glass/plastic lens. UV filter in integral to the camera from what I've heard/read.

HAHA!  All this time I thought it had a lens in it and I was being extra careful not to touch it.  You're right. it's just a ring to protect the threads.  I learn something new every day.
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_NsI8C46pLRLU
lvl.1
Netherlands

Indeed that thing is not moving for me too. I have been to the shop as well, after customer support gave that as a tip. They did not succeed either and said that it should come right off. Could be a production error. Yes, I would normally go ahead and use tools for this, but that might break the warranty. Since I bought @ DJI directly, I would need to file an RMA through them. I hope this will be a good process.
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

djiuser_NsI8C46pLRLU Posted at 2018-3-2 05:13
Indeed that thing is not moving for me too. I have been to the shop as well, after customer support gave that as a tip. They did not succeed either and said that it should come right off. Could be a production error. Yes, I would normally go ahead and use tools for this, but that might break the warranty. Since I bought @ DJI directly, I would need to file an RMA through them. I hope this will be a good process.

I first also had the feeling that mine wouldn't go off. After several tries holding a rubber band really tight around it, it eventually moved. There is some resistance in the beginning.
2018-3-2
Use props
e4CeJCFM8FL5
lvl.1
Poland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 05:29
I first also had the feeling that mine wouldn't go off. After several tries holding a rubber band really tight around it, it eventually moved. There is some resistance in the beginning.

I had this problem too, i cant unscrew this plastic cap. I try with rubber, silicon gloves. What i need to do more? Hot air from hairdryer?
2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

e4CeJCFM8FL5 Posted at 2018-3-4 06:46
I had this problem too, i cant unscrew this plastic cap. I try with rubber, silicon gloves. What i need to do more? Hot air from hairdryer?

Yes, you can try that as well, but very carefully.
2018-3-4
Use props
sbk
lvl.1
Poland

An inner voice tells me that this is not the best idea ;-)
2018-3-4
Use props
sbk
lvl.1
Poland

djiuser_NsI8C46pLRLU Posted at 2018-3-2 05:13

You resolve your issue with this plastic cap?
2018-3-4
Use props
djiuser_NsI8C46pLRLU
lvl.1
Netherlands

Eventually I actually dared to do the trick with the wide rubber band. Bit scary, but yes, the Polar Pro video actually is the correct way.
2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_NsI8C46pLRLU
lvl.1
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 05:29

Works! Thanks for feeding my confidence!
2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

djiuser_NsI8C46pLRLU Posted at 2018-3-6 03:42
Works! Thanks for feeding my confidence!

You are welcome :-)
2018-3-6
Use props
Axeli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339416 ft
Czechia

Well, to be honest I almost pi** myself to unscrew this. I was totally desperate and ready to go through RMA. Thing is, you have to use force you would never use on gimbal or any other such delicate device. Rubber didn't work for me. I'm recommending use a double-sided tape instead.
01.jpg
2018-3-11
Use props
thetreepirate
New
United States

I tried everything mentioned above with no luck. I was putting far more pressure on the lens and gimbal than I was comfortable with. What ended up working was tying a loop in a rubber band that was slightly smaller than the bezel on the lens and then snugging up a small zip tie around the rubber band. This set up was easy to apply pressure to and reduced the risk of tweaking the bezel by grabbing it on either side.

2018-3-17
Use props
fansf522381e
New
United States

thetreepirate Posted at 2018-3-17 15:45
I tried everything mentioned above with no luck. I was putting far more pressure on the lens and gimbal than I was comfortable with. What ended up working was tying a loop in a rubber band that was slightly smaller than the bezel on the lens and then snugging up a small zip tie around the rubber band. This set up was easy to apply pressure to and reduced the risk of tweaking the bezel by grabbing it on either side.

[view_image][view_image]

Thanks for the tie-wrap suggestion.  I just used the tie-wrap without the rubber band.  Perfect solution.  I should have thought of this as I use strap wrenches on oil filters.  Same principle.
2018-3-25
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft

I gave up on the rubber band and took pliers to mine. I wrapped a lens cleaning cloth around it and ever so gently applied pressure as I twisted.

Unnerving, but worked. =)
2018-3-25
Use props
fans98d4e2c0
New
United Kingdom

Rubber band works! But after 30 attempts I gave up. I tried once more before going sleep, it slipped, i actually thought i broke it, seen as tgough its in such am awkward place. I'm so glad and relieved. Patience is key! Thats all i can say. Tomorrow's videos are gonna be amazing!
2018-3-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-25 16:46
I gave up on the rubber band and took pliers to mine. I wrapped a lens cleaning cloth around it and ever so gently applied pressure as I twisted.

Unnerving, but worked. =)

You need specific kind of pliers.  Less you put enough pressure on small area on each side of filter, that it warps, and makes things worse.  
Saw pictures of professional lens that was ruined when a person tried regular pliers with tape around filter rim.

Rounded jaw pliers that fit curve of filter can work.  
Band type pliers that make a 7/8th of a wrap, and squezze together, would work better.
2018-3-31
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-31 16:18
You need specific kind of pliers.  Less you put enough pressure on small area on each side of filter, that it warps, and makes things worse.  
Saw pictures of professional lens that was ruined when a person tried regular pliers with tape around filter rim.

I just used my leatherman pliers.

I wouldn't recommend, it though... because they were straight pliers applying pressure as they do makes it harder, as you said.

I just applied enough pressure and teased it as I twisted.

Don't try this at home, kids. xD
2018-4-1
Use props
Poser8
lvl.1
United States

Found the key what worked for me after thinking no f ing way!  Last and final attempt worked after thinking about what they were saying about even pressure.  I used the Rubber Band technique and instead using two fingers to unscrew I used an evenly placed three fingers around the cap thumb,index and middle.  Came right off Hope this helps!
2018-4-13
Use props
fansd41cac48
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Gorilla heavy duty tape is working well. Just cut a narrow strip, wrap around a lens just leave extra length on both ends and stick it together as a tail. Use this tail as a lever to unscrew counterclockwise.
2018-4-27
Use props
fans78a496e0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12920 ft
United States

thetreepirate Posted at 2018-3-17 15:45
I tried everything mentioned above with no luck. I was putting far more pressure on the lens and gimbal than I was comfortable with. What ended up working was tying a loop in a rubber band that was slightly smaller than the bezel on the lens and then snugging up a small zip tie around the rubber band. This set up was easy to apply pressure to and reduced the risk of tweaking the bezel by grabbing it on either side.

[view_image][view_image]

Leverage is the key, without pressure. Good call, didn't think I was going to get it off until I tried this.
2018-4-29
Use props
fans7b089b20
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481158 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans18e8242d Posted at 2-18 14:12
Wrap a rubber band around the cap and unscrew it with that!

I could not  even move it but I  used rubber
gloves and it came out pretty easy.
2018-11-26
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Ex Machina Posted at 2-18 17:58

It`s a removable clear glass "filter" to protect the real lens.
2018-11-27
Use props
fans809410aa
New

Canada

A rubber washing up glove (marigolds) came off super easy without applying to much pressure
2019-5-30
Use props
Tomcatuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-11-27 06:19
It`s a removable clear glass "filter" to protect the real lens.

Just a ring on mine, unless of course the glass bit was supposed to come off....? But got no filters anyway and the rubber band worked for me to get it off...
2019-5-31
Use props
KushDi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1909 ft
Malta

Padded tape around the lens worked for me.
2019-7-20
Use props
larryc43230
lvl.4
Flight distance : 664534 ft
United States

I also had a heck of a time getting that lens ring off the first time I needed to replace it with an ND filter. After a lot of twisting (and fretting; I was constantly afraid I was going to damage something), it finally came loose and twisted off.

The good news in all this is that, after that first effort, if you screw it on hand-tight (as opposed to factory-tight), it should come off and on a lot more easily from then on.

Larry
2019-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules