I am going to Key West
7071 27 2015-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Question for everyone. I have read and re-read the FAA rules for flying my drone. I actually have a pilots license (single engine VFR) so I am always careful of where and what I do.
I am going to Key West and where I am staying is partially in the "No Fly Zone". But even if I go outside the circle of the no fly zone, I am within in 5 miles (it is an airport with a control tower). I would be in the middle of the ocean if I went out 5 miles.  If  I have read the rules correctly, I have to contact the tower to fly in that area. Locally that is easy enough, but does anyone have any idea how to do that for a big International airport?

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
2015-5-1
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

following this thread too
2015-5-1
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

based upon recent media coverages, im guessing the STOCK answer anyone would get from a big airport is NO.  there is too much liability and unknowns for them to do anything but err on the safe side.  just my opinion as to what you'll encounter, but i could be wrong.
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Key West doesn't show any "no fly zones" there.  Here is the map of all "no fly zones".

https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/
2015-5-1
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Hi Gerry, if I look on the dji no fly zone that they put in the last firmware it shows it as a no fly zone. Thoughts?
2015-5-1
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

I think what I will do is just work my way up (have a rental car reserved) the keys towards Key Largo. On Google Maps it looks like lots of great stuff to film!
2015-5-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-2 00:03
I think what I will do is just work my way up (have a rental car reserved) the keys towards Key Larg ...

Just found the updated map.  Key West is a category B zone meaning a 0.6 restriction zone.  So within the 0.6  you won't be able to take off.  Outside that is ok.
2015-5-1
Use props
danrok
lvl.1

Jersey

DJI's own no-fly zones don't always fit in with local regulations.

Where I live (on an island in the English Channel), I can't fly within 2nm of the airport.  But they do provide an email for ATC, so it is possible to ask for permission to fly closer/higher.
2015-5-1
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Just take us1 north past stock island and the naval Air Station area.  Every little bridge and island has pull offs so finding spots to fly will not be an issue .

Bahia Honda Beach and park is about 30 or so miles north and is super large shallow beach

Also on place called Loie key reef resort ( about 20 north of Key west,  there is a little tiki bar right allow road at small motel, scuba shop.  
Great half day snorkel trips for about 40 dollars

I am jealous , my first thoughts when I bought my Plus was I wish I had it last may in key west!

when I look at the old bridge structure they use for fishing it is hard to believe I drove on those years back--NARROW as all hec.
2015-5-1
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-5-2 01:24
Just take us1 north past stock island and the naval Air Station area.  Every little bridge and islan ...

is the Garden of Eden roof bar in the exclusion zone?   lol
2015-5-1
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Thanks Kirk and Gerry!
2015-5-1
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Well, going through security with my Phantom, no problem. The scanner dude did seem puzzeled at first, cocked his head and grinned. Got to Key West ( long frick'n flight from Seattle) and the first three days very high winds. I put in a request to fly and take pictures (with the airport since anything on this island is well inside the 5 mile radius the FAA says you have to contact a controlled airport) and they are nice but still no answer.
Drove up the keys and it rained the whole way except next to the naval air base. Sigh. Going up to Key Largo tomorrow  so I hope to get some flights in on the way up. Wish me luck! Tomorrow is my last day here.
2015-5-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-8 06:09
Well, going through security with my Phantom, no problem. The scanner dude did seem puzzeled at firs ...

Hope you get to fly tomorrow so we can all visit the place.
2015-5-7
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-8 06:09
Well, going through security with my Phantom, no problem. The scanner dude did seem puzzeled at firs ...

darn on the weather. that's just bad luck.

largo is long drive. 100+ miles and dozens and dozens of spots to stop and fly

post anything you can  if you do get a chance to fly.
2015-5-7
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-5-8 06:45
darn on the weather. that's just bad luck.

largo is long drive. 100+ miles and dozens and dozens  ...

Planning on getting lots of pictures. Weather looks like it'll be good!
2015-5-7
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-8 10:33
Planning on getting lots of pictures. Weather looks like it'll be good!

if your thirsty

http://www.looekeytikibar.com/
2015-5-7
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Finally on the last day I got a call and he said okay since I know what the traffic pattern is and I promised to stay below the top of the trees(since helicopters come into the airport just above the trees.)
I'll put some of the clips together soon.

Just outside the "No Fly Zone"

Just outside the "No Fly Zone"
2015-5-8
Use props
dmiles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455312 ft
United States

+1 on the previous comments on Bahia Honda. Has been too many years since I've been there, but I have some great pictures (going back to film days). Have to believe there would be some great places to fly there.
2015-5-8
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

One short clip, no editing. I will put something together when I get back home.

Select HD
2015-5-8
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-9 11:06
One short clip, no editing. I will put something together when I get back home.

dam you!  I had a scooter for 3 days and nights and must have drove that  beach road a hundred  times

We had room reserved for 5/18 at doubletree there.
had to cancel when Daughter decided to do a Sanibel island wedding this  July.  That should get me some nice stuff as well

Hope my phantom lives to next year....lol

impressed they gave an OK to fly that is great  news.
2015-5-9
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Next time I'm not renting a car for the whole stay. You can rent for the day, get a scooter and the Sheraton takes you down to Conch Harbor which is a couple blocks from Duval street.
Had a blast.
2015-5-9
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-10 04:46
Next time I'm not renting a car for the whole stay. You can rent for the day, get a scooter and the  ...

I parked our car at motel and concierge had them drop a scooter off and I never saw the car for 3 days. we had a ball and drove places you never would with car.  

thank god 40 with 2 is fastest they go,   esp about midnight....

did sunburn the top of knees though
2015-5-13
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

I already want to go back!
2015-5-13
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

post the edited footage.

fyi - sanibel will be a great place to shoot.  can't wait to get back there.
2015-5-14
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-14 22:32
post the edited footage.

fyi - sanibel will be a great place to shoot.  can't wait to get back ther ...

i am just hoping it wont be so darn hot...lol

Yea I am looking forward to exploring the island via air! as well as water.

I saw a video a guy with a blade 350 did of the island and lighthouse last fall... that video has cost me about $1500.00 so far.
2015-5-14
Use props
shep941
lvl.2

United States

kgjamison Posted at 2015-5-10 04:46
Next time I'm not renting a car for the whole stay. You can rent for the day, get a scooter and the  ...

I would recommend doing it earlier in the year next time. You came right at the start of the rainy season! Glad you enjoyed your trip though. Hope you had a chance to visit Hemingways and see all the mutant cats.

2015-5-14
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

Didn't see any mutant cats. I was surprised how many racoons were there!
2015-5-14
Use props
Florida Keys Drone Pros
lvl.2
Flight distance : 874583 ft
  • >>>

Hello introducing myself as a Key Largo based drone pilot with the Part107 re-take coming up on August 29th!!!! Can’t beleive it has been 24 months. So just lettin you know I’m here and flying if you need help.
I know the area somewhat. Happy to be of help if you are planning a trip or need footage to make you feel like you have been on holiday. (Not trying to be a plonker) I’m a UK expat US citizen mother of four so my
Perspective may be totally warped. Love the news about the p5 w interchangeable lenses! I heard Key West was very restrictive after there was a near miss. But people do fly there ALL the time unlicensed. I tend to err on the side of ask permission. Marathon Airport gives permits! Key West takes a long time! 3-6 months. The military will tell you right away. There are several bases down there. Stock Island north is cake....beautiful too! Bahia Honda, stop and fly. Just remember the bayside is partly Everglades National Park and other refuge designations so watch out before you post drone footage of the wilderness!! Sure there’s a bunch of holes in my knowledge. That’s what I got right now. Cheers!
2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules